What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Quick question and it's something I've wondered for awhile. How do you guys who do the tick throws from moves like 21, or b2u1 know when to go for it do you just have to guess ahead of time that they will block it or do you buffer it? I've never really practiced them. I ask because I just did a very long lobo mirror set with this other guy on PSN and while I beat him 17-7 he kept getting me with tick throws from 21 he's a SHAZAM main so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he was good at those setups.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Yea, you have to anticipate them blocking the string. I do everything immediately, no waiting. He literally performs the czar toss a full second after I take my hands off the joystick.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Quick question and it's something I've wondered for awhile. How do you guys who do the tick throws from moves like 21, or b2u1 know when to go for it do you just have to guess ahead of time that they will block it or do you buffer it? I've never really practiced them. I ask because I just did a very long lobo mirror set with this other guy on PSN and while I beat him 17-7 he kept getting me with tick throws from 21 he's a SHAZAM main so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he was good at those setups.
For me its sort of hard to call, IDK about cage but the majority of people I play online never seem to expect my B2U1 on wake-up. That being said people I've played from TYM block every single thing I do and catch me in frame traps all day. But usually after a match against you guys I tend to get my bearings and then figure out how to play smart against everyone. I still lose though lol

Best thing, if you are nervous about tick throws, is to use the 12xxczar. It'll grab on hit or miss. I think the 113 tick throw is pretty solid to, you get have a second to see if the first hit connected, and they all hit mid, so you'll almost be able to 'block confirm it'

BGMD

Noob
j1 toss also on hit and block

can someone confirm this for me, I'm in lab with Superman and his f23 breath (hot topic)
1 stufs next f2 if he throws it right away
if he backdashes and goes for it again right away, 3 in 113 stuffs it
now, it appears that pushback from breath is big enough that 2 also stuffs next f2 (3 also from what I've tested)
2 is mid, so it seems like a safer option to confirm into string since he can delay it

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Best follow up should be 2,1, Low Space Hook, then? If 2 beats his f+2 consistently, then the 1 to Low Space hook should cover the backdash, in theory.

BGMD

Noob
Ah, cool. Understood.
Anyway, it's not that bad stuff overall... I would at least check with 1 or 11... he can't follow up with d1, too far away
backdash is safest option for Superman
you can't throw low hook right away after whiffed 1, but you can scout backdash and mix it up with 21 low chain/charge or raw low chain

I tend to go for my tick throws after I've put the fear of god in them with my high/low mix-ups. I make them respect my 21 xx Low Shot (even without trait) until they finally block it, then go for stuff like 12 xx Czar Toss, 21 xx Czar Toss, etc etc.

It helps if you use the kind of High/Low game I tend to use on someone's knockdown at all times; knockdown, Back 12 xx MB Hook Charge setup/Forward Dash, TK facedive/Back 2 into lololololololololololdamage/raw Toss into loldamage + setup or resets

I really dislike how random Hook Charge is on hit.... I just played a ton of games with Red Venom and Ugowakuo and it would never be consistent. We would either land on the other side or stay in front. It's the only random thing with Lobo

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
I really dislike how random Hook Charge is on hit.... I just played a ton of games with Red Venom and Ugowakuo and it would never be consistent. We would either land on the other side or stay in front. It's the only random thing with Lobo
lmao do you keep spelling his name wrong on purpose lol and I agree its terrible I'll update the top 3 post. You two are definitely tied for 1st IMO

I've somehow found a way to get the corner anti-reversal tech to work for Lobo. I'm currently not sure how I got it to work, but it was during a match with Cyborg at Wayne Manor (Day), at the left side corner. I had knocked him down and went for the diveface mix-up I tend to go for. After the 3rd diveface, he reversal'd out with Cyborg's uppercut but he went in the opposite direction. At the time, I had already went for another diveface so I wasn't able to punish him for it, but I think it has something to do with Lobo jumping on top of the opponent on their knockdown from a diveface. If it has to do with the actual diveface and not the jump, then disregard this because Lobo will never be able to punish anything after recovering from his diveface, even if TK'd.

This is certainly better than setting up the corner tech with juggle into sweep, dash forward. The diveface mix-up is, imo, one of the things that makes Lobo's corner game so strong, and if we could force this scenario while using the mix-up, it would only make it even more powerful.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
I've somehow found a way to get the corner anti-reversal tech to work for Lobo. I'm currently not sure how I got it to work, but it was during a match with Cyborg at Wayne Manor (Day), at the left side corner. I had knocked him down and went for the diveface mix-up I tend to go for. After the 3rd diveface, he reversal'd out with Cyborg's uppercut but he went in the opposite direction. At the time, I had already went for another diveface so I wasn't able to punish him for it, but I think it has something to do with Lobo jumping on top of the opponent on their knockdown from a diveface. If it has to do with the actual diveface and not the jump, then disregard this because Lobo will never be able to punish anything after recovering from his diveface, even if TK'd.

This is certainly better than setting up the corner tech with juggle into sweep, dash forward. The diveface mix-up is, imo, one of the things that makes Lobo's corner game so strong, and if we could force this scenario while using the mix-up, it would only make it even more powerful.
Is there any chance you could perhaps upload some footage? This kind of sounds like what I thought I had found was tech but you said was some universal tech that didn't work.

It's exactly that, but when I tried your version of the setup, it didn't work out in Lobo's favor because of the recovery of facedive, like I mentioned in my initial post. I would've uploaded footage if I could, but I don't have a capture device and the match with the Cyborg was during one of my Ranked sessions. I would also test this myself with this character and stage, but I'm about to head out for school. Immediately when I get back though, I'll try seeing what's up with this.

The only reason why I think this might be different is because I made Cyborg cross-up before I had gone for the facedive. If I'm being an idiot and it was during the facedive, then it won't be useful because facedive has a mountain of whiffed recovery frames.