What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat 11 Edition)

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Well yeah no shit it's a 3d fighter. It's kind of hard to zone when you can sidestep every fireball. Zoning is important to 2d fighters because it allows you to have a meaningful interaction at any points of the screen
That definition applies to every projectile

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Why are there arguments about the legitimacy of zoning on a website dedicated to competitive gaming in 2019? And when I say the NRS community is ten years behind most other fighting game communities, people assume I am trolling or exaggerating.

As I said on the podcast last week, I am against simple yet highly effective zoning, which is partially why I never used Deadshot. I am hoping NRS designs deep and innovative zoning characters who require multiple gameplay facets to be effective. I think Predator and Quan Chi (post patch of course) in Mortal Kombat X and Dr. Fate and Starfire in Injustice 2 are good examples of competitively viable zoning characters.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Cage's stunt double once again apes Noob's shadow, who knows what's in store for Noob.
There is a chance that Noob could have a different play style this game. His leaked image confirmed that he will be using sickles which may be incorporated into his normals. There is also a chance that his projectiles in MK11 could make use of the sickle. Sickles can be thrown. They may use the sickle as an overhead projectile that falls on top of the user while he uses shadow clones for vertical and horizontal space. Another idea is that the sickle will be his primary projectile, much like the shuriken was in MK IV and Armageddon; however, Noob in MK IV was a clone character of Reiko. Noob was caught in the soulnado in MK9, then is mentioned that he is in the Netherealm in MKX. There is a chance it could of had an effect on his powers and now has to rely on weaponry to fight. There is also a chance it's purely an aesthetic thing and will just be a tool Noob uses. Sickles are weapons that assassins and ninjas use.

Noob's identity this game is completely up in the air. Raiden became more of a zoner in this game, so they have the potential to change other characters as well.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
As I said on the podcast last week, I am against simple yet highly effective zoning, which is partially why I never used Deadshot. I am hoping NRS designs deep and innovative zoning characters who require multiple gameplay facets to be effective.
Well said!

I think Injustice 2 left such a sour taste in some people's mouths about zoning. It's mostly because there were some options that were just too simple and uncounterable for some of the cast.

People who know better know that a zoning character could be one of the deepest characters in the game strategy-wise. I think of Sagat and Ryu from SF4 or Faust from Guilty Gear.

I for one won't be joining the Zoning Academy, but I look forward to playing spacing-chess with all of you scumbags! ;)

Some of my favorite matchups in fighting game history involve me working my way on cleverly played space control.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
People who know better know that a zoning character could be one of the deepest characters in the game strategy-wise. I think of Sagat and Ryu from SF4 or Faust from Guilty Gear.
l.
Don't forget Venom! He uses his pool balls for traps and setups, too, but he can control space very well.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Honestly, cause Kabal is in the game, we do need to mention him

last time we saw him (Mk9) He had a shit ton of tools in his kit, and a good chunk of it was in the zoning and punishing department.

With how every character will have extra moves and tools in their kits due to variations, Kabal is someone to closely watch

i dont want another mk9 kabal situation all over again.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
As much as I dislike using zoning as a strategy myself and how it can usually be viewed as a sort of crutch due to people that tend to stay on the edge on the screen and just do nothing but spam projectiles and nothing else (i.e. pretty much every Noob Saibot that I played against in MK9, which just gives actually talented zoners like @General M2Dave a bad name), there is a real art and execution factor when it comes to good zoning.

Any person can pick up a controller and spam projectiles, but it takes a lot of execution to perform an instant-air projectile, like Liu Kang's Fireball or Kabal's Gas Blast. If you do that in a match against me, I'll be annoyed of course since I mainly go for rushdown-heavy characters and characters that rely more on a footsies game, but I'll still have respect for you being able to keep me out of range like that.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
As much as I dislike using zoning as a strategy myself and how it can usually be viewed as a sort of crutch due to people that tend to stay on the edge on the screen and just do nothing but spam projectiles and nothing else (i.e. pretty much every Noob Saibot that I played against in MK9, which just gives actually talented zoners like @General M2Dave a bad name), there is a real art and execution factor when it comes to good zoning.

Any person can pick up a controller and spam projectiles, but it takes a lot of execution to perform an instant-air projectile, like Liu Kang's Fireball or Kabal's Gas Blast. If you do that in a match against me, I'll be annoyed of course since I mainly go for rushdown-heavy characters and characters that rely more on a footsies game, but I'll still have respect for you being able to keep me out of range like that.

I just don't get it though. In good connections and offline, beating mindless zoning is pretty low brow/easy. I've only ever felt threatened by great zoners who mix it up with great spacing/spatial awareness and utility. It's very unfair to judge a play style based on distorted play.

Nothing in the games are that hard for the most part. I played Goro in MKX and looped safe 50/50's into full combos and plus on block armor and it wasn't any harder than instant air fanning and throw staggers with Kitana. Yes I had to work my way in, but most of the time, that's pretty whatever and just a matter of "can you be patient and walk/know when to run or jump?"

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I just don't get it though. In good connections and offline, beating mindless zoning is pretty low brow/easy. I've only ever felt threatened by great zoners who mix it up with great spacing/spatial awareness and utility. It's very unfair to judge a play style based on distorted play.

Nothing in the games are that hard for the most part. I played Goro in MKX and looped safe 50/50's into full combos and plus on block armor and it wasn't any harder than instant air fanning and throw staggers with Kitana. Yes I had to work my way in, but most of the time, that's pretty whatever and just a matter of "can you be patient and walk/know when to run or jump?"
I also primarily used Johnny Cage in MK9, and aside from his EX Shadow Kick, he didn't really have ways of countering zoners.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Why are there arguments about the legitimacy of zoning on a website dedicated to competitive gaming in 2019? And when I say the NRS community is ten years behind most other fighting game communities, people assume I am trolling or exaggerating.

As I said on the podcast last week, I am against simple yet highly effective zoning, which is partially why I never used Deadshot. I am hoping NRS designs deep and innovative zoning characters who require multiple gameplay facets to be effective. I think Predator and Quan Chi (post patch of course) in Mortal Kombat X and Dr. Fate and Starfire in Injustice 2 are good examples of competitively viable zoning characters.
There are arguments because there was a gamefaqs dump recently onto TYM. Pay no attention to them ma'lord.

They will suffer soon enough.

Lokheit

Noob
There is a chance that Noob could have a different play style this game. His leaked image confirmed that he will be using sickles which may be incorporated into his normals. There is also a chance that his projectiles in MK11 could make use of the sickle. Sickles can be thrown. They may use the sickle as an overhead projectile that falls on top of the user while he uses shadow clones for vertical and horizontal space. Another idea is that the sickle will be his primary projectile, much like the shuriken was in MK IV and Armageddon; however, Noob in MK IV was a clone character of Reiko. Noob was caught in the soulnado in MK9, then is mentioned that he is in the Netherealm in MKX. There is a chance it could of had an effect on his powers and now has to rely on weaponry to fight. There is also a chance it's purely an aesthetic thing and will just be a tool Noob uses. Sickles are weapons that assassins and ninjas use.

Noob's identity this game is completely up in the air. Raiden became more of a zoner in this game, so they have the potential to change other characters as well.
The same image confirmed he still uses the shadow though.

Johnny's stunt double doesn't mean we can't have shadow projectiles.

Noob also has other zoning tools, like his ghostball and trap portals.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I love hybrid zoners. I've been playing fighting games since I was a toddler, and Deathstroke in Injustice was the absolute most fun I have ever had in one.

It was like I could play 2 different characters in a match. Rushdown when I wanted, zoned when I needed. Pushing them into the corner to start the SEX combos was bliss. Dash in, low gunshot. Instant air gunshot, ex low gunshot, dash in. Jesus you could taste the frustration in the air.

Deadshot never hit the same vibe with me. I was so disappointed that Deathstroke never made it back into the game. He's literally the only reason I ever go back to Ij

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
This argument is dumb. Characters are using all types of non hand to hand moves/weapons in these games. Small women fight giants. Trying to use real fight arguments against zoning is hilarious.
My argument is more about the constant backwalk than the actual projectiles. It’s annoying to play, and immensely boring to watch.

Zoning when necessary, or for a few seconds here and there, is perfectly fine. Spending the entire match at full-screen distance is just trash. You will never change my mind on that.

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
My argument is more about the constant backwalk than the actual projectiles. It’s annoying to play, and immensely boring to watch.

Zoning when necessary, or for a few seconds here and there, is perfectly fine. Spending the entire match at full-screen distance is just trash. You will never change my mind on that.
Reason why Deadshot was so hated in INJ2

I do think that basic zoning (Full auto Jacqui, Deadshot) give more complex ones (Mk9 Kabal, INJ2 Dr Fate) bad rep

Zoning is annoying yes

it's also quite viable for some characters as they need the space, or set up, or are trying to bait out their opponent

I'm for it, or rush down or characters with armor become to oppressive

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I was being serious and no I’m not a scrub, I know zoning takes skill yet it’s not a part of fighting. Name FIGHTING game means people fight in close quarters. Making a character zoning heavy and helpless in close combat is more than dumb.
I can think of all kinds of fighting that doesn’t involve people in close quarters. Ever hear of a gun fight? Since MKXI is a fighting game, why aren’t all the characters just throwing food at each other? I can only assume it’s meant to be a food fighter. Or maybe the characters just discuss episodes of The Good Fight.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Reason why Deadshot was so hated in INJ2

I do think that basic zoning (Full auto Jacqui, Deadshot) give more complex ones (Mk9 Kabal, INJ2 Dr Fate) bad rep

Zoning is annoying yes

it's also quite viable for some characters as they need the space, or set up, or are trying to bait out their opponent

I'm for it, or rush down or characters with armor become to oppressive
are there actually people complaining about deadshot and jacqui zoning in 2019?