What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat 11 Edition)

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
not entirely sure, but they were toxic as hell and complained about just by going DAKKA DAKKA with their "Zoning Tools"

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Are you clueless at creating and doing combos?
Are you useless defending against opponents?
Do you want not to care that there's someone else in the game trying to play?
Do you want to put the minimal effort spamming 2 moves and lie to yourself you're actually thinking when to press them so you don't feel braindead?

Then zoning is for you!

Pick a broken character and just spam the same move over and over.
Ignore anything and anyone that is in the game with you, let them sort it out.
Just walkback all day and enjoy the show.

Make sure to post on the forums that it's a legit strategy so you can sleep at night while you try to remember if your opponent was an AI, a human, or even in the game at all.

Join us now.
This was the post that made me join the forums. Going from lurker to posting.

This is the best thing I've ever seen. I'm sorry, but anyone saying "why do people hate zoning" must have not played recent NRS games or just happily ignored some of the annoying examples of zoning in their games as of late.

You can all argue that Jacqui wasn't that bad, sure. It was definitely managable. Or Triborg was "easy" enough. At the end of the day, it's not about the ease. It's the fact that these characters made zoning look so just... stupid, tedious, and not fun to play against or watch.

I'm not even getting into the zoning hell hole that is Injustice 2.

I think the problem is: NRS hasn't handled zoning well as of lately. A lot of fighting games have problems handling it well because it gets dumbed down and tedious to deal with. This thread encouraging it all of things is beyond annoying. You can always use the counter argument "well sheesh just go play tekken -already do tho- if you hate zoning so much" but it just feels a bit sad to me that zoning has become so god damn cheap and trashy in NRS games.

You can all do what you want but this post is the most breath of fresh air truth I've seen.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I can think of all kinds of fighting that doesn’t involve people in close quarters. Ever hear of a gun fight? Since MKXI is a fighting game, why aren’t all the characters just throwing food at each other? I can only assume it’s meant to be a food fighter. Or maybe the characters just discuss episodes of The Good Fight.
Yeah right
Everytime I hear MK I imagine gun fight or a food fight. Flawless logic

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think the problem is: NRS hasn't handled rush down well as of lately. A lot of fighting games have problems handling it well because it gets dumbed down and tedious to deal with. You can always use the counter argument "well sheesh just go play tekken -already do tho- if you hate rush down so much" but it just feels a bit sad to me that rush down has become so god damn cheap and trashy in NRS games.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Are you clueless at creating and doing combos?
Are you useless defending against opponents?
Do you want not to care that there's someone else in the game trying to play?
Do you want to put the minimal effort spamming 2 moves and lie to yourself you're actually thinking when to press them so you don't feel braindead?

Then zoning is for you!

Pick a broken character and just spam the same move over and over.
Ignore anything and anyone that is in the game with you, let them sort it out.
Just walkback all day and enjoy the show.

Make sure to post on the forums that it's a legit strategy so you can sleep at night while you try to remember if your opponent was an AI, a human, or even in the game at all.

Join us now.
Real talk right there, ladies and gents.

I've always said this, I've always been demonized, but I'll say it again: even if you say you know combos with your character and you purposely spam from across the screen, you're a scrub. Calling it zoning doesn't make it better.

Nothing about watching spamming gameplay is fun, nothing about playing a zoner is fun. Winning a match against them is a relief, it doesn't even feel like a win. I just feel dirty after, like I need some extra exfoliating. I don't know how anyone can look at their win rate % and feel proud knowing that's all they did.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Real talk right there, ladies and gents.

I've always said this, I've always been demonized, but I'll say it again: even if you say you know combos with your character and you purposely spam from across the screen, you're a scrub. Calling it zoning doesn't make it better.

Nothing about watching spamming gameplay is fun, nothing about playing a zoner is fun. Winning a match against them is a relief, it doesn't even feel like a win. I just feel dirty after, like I need some extra exfoliating. I don't know how anyone can look at their win rate % and feel proud knowing that's all they did.
Zoning isn't spam. Spam is spam, whether it's from full screen, or up close. If someone wants to feel better about themselves because they spent 20 minutes in practice mode learning a braindead combo, good for them. I'm not sure why they gotta salt other people's choice in gameplay though.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Zoning isn't spam. Spam is spam, whether it's from full screen, or up close. If someone wants to feel better about themselves because they spent 20 minutes in practice mode learning a braindead combo, good for them. I'm not sure why they gotta salt other people's choice in gameplay though.
So combos are braindead, but cycling between 'expertly' crafted rotation of projectiles that are spammed to hell and back isn't? Being able to find combos on your own, and even creating some on the spot during matches is not braindead.

Zoning is just a fancy word to say: 'I don't want to think about blocking strings & I don't want to lab combos.' This is half the fun of a fighting game and a big part of the gameplay.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
So combos are braindead, but cycling between 'expertly' crafted rotation of projectiles that are spammed to hell and back isn't? Being able to find combos on your own, and even creating some on the spot during matches is not braindead.

Zoning is just a fancy word to say: 'I don't want to think about blocking strings & I don't want to lab combos.' This is half the fun of a fighting game and a big part of the gameplay.
Let zoners be. I don’t understand the fun in zoning either and as long as MK has close quaters fighters I’m fine with it. I’ve been called a scrub throught this entire thread btw. I’m no pro so I don’t care

Wetdoba

All too easy...

Sounds like you just do not understand how find set ups or lab whatsoever out of arms reach really but thats ok

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion

you're implying that a zoner doesn't know how to do combos? I play zoners because my favorite part of fighting games is the neutral so I pick characters that have good tools to compete in neutral at any range. I don't like looping 50/50s and vortexs because it feels like my gameplan is the same every game.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
My argument is more about the constant backwalk than the actual projectiles. It’s annoying to play, and immensely boring to watch.

Zoning when necessary, or for a few seconds here and there, is perfectly fine. Spending the entire match at full-screen distance is just trash. You will never change my mind on that.
LMAO at least you’re open minded.

Wait..

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
you're implying that a zoner doesn't know how to do combos? I play zoners because my favorite part of fighting games is the neutral so I pick characters that have good tools to compete in neutral at any range. I don't like looping 50/50s and vortexs because it feels like my gameplan is the same every game.
This was in reply to Marlow who said 'If someone wants to feel better about themselves because they spent 20 minutes in practice mode learning a braindead combo, good for them.'

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter

Zoning is about space control, about applying constant pressure, and making reads on trying to keep the opponent out. Someone spamming a projectile is not the same as zoning. Spamming is basically playing without thinking, just throwing out moves irregardless of situation, and it can be done with pretty much any archtype, not just zoning.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So combos are braindead, but cycling between 'expertly' crafted rotation of projectiles that are spammed to hell and back isn't
Didn't say that. Just that learning a few easily spammable (spammible?) combos isn't that different than someone spamming projectiles. Spam is spam. Not all combos are braindead, and not all zoning is braindead.