What's new

Guide The Ultimate Deathstroke Guide

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I found some stronger corner combos using MB Sword Spin and the starters you listed karaokelove

Ji3, 323, MB Sword Spin, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip = 47% (you can replace Flip for Spin for 48% but that's DANGEROUS)
F3, (delayed) 323, MB Sword Spin, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip = 41%
B1U2, (delayed) 323, MB Sword Spin, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip = 39%
132, (delayed) 323, MB Sword Spin, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip = 40%

Also, in the corner, B2 and D1 are fast overhead/low combo starters with the use of MB Sword Spin. They're MUCH faster than F3 and B1.

D1 xx MB Sword Spin, 1, 1, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip
B2 xx MB Sword Spin, 1, 1, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Why isn't this stickied yet? I know the DS forums have a lot of stickies... but we can unsticky "How to Overcome Deathstroke's Guns" since it's piss easy now and even m2dave wants it unstickied (the creator).

Also, I could easily put the movelist link in my "Knowing Your Arsenal" thread to save sticky space.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
After a brief hiatus, I'm back in the lab with DS and have worked out a few new setups I'll add to the guide tomorrow. STORMS is there any way to get this thing stickied? Thanks!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just added a lot of updates to the guide. Added an analysis of his j2 in the Normals section, a new combo, some new rushdown information, and updated most of the percentages to represent their actual current values, particularly the chip damage on his guns, which I simply deleted. TONY-T do you know if the information in your thread on Low-Shot frametraps is still valid?

TONY-T

Mad scientist
yes, some of it is! you can still get a free f23 after MB lgs. only now you cant get a b1u2 as a free mixup. Instead you can get a free d1 into MB sword spin. They can't jump the d1. I usually mix it up with another b22 into MB lgs.

Guys, i'm still new, but I have a question regarding a combo set up. Now I can hit the b1u2 f3 323 f23 swordflip all day long if I time the 323 right, as if I were only doing a 323 f23 swordflip. But often online, due to lag, my imput hits the 323 at a point where DS appears to almost be slashing the enemy way above his head. When that happens I can never hit the f23 swordflip.

In the lab i've been practicing these juggles where DS 323's the target higher above his head, but I can't figure out at what point to input f23 for the life of me. It appears that if I wait for the target to enter the normal motion for the f23 input to connect, it's too late and misses. I'm having a hard time here. Can anyone help me out?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Guys, i'm still new, but I have a question regarding a combo set up. Now I can hit the b1u2 f3 323 f23 swordflip all day long if I time the 323 right, as if I were only doing a 323 f23 swordflip. But often online, due to lag, my imput hits the 323 at a point where DS appears to almost be slashing the enemy way above his head. When that happens I can never hit the f23 swordflip.

In the lab i've been practicing these juggles where DS 323's the target higher above his head, but I can't figure out at what point to input f23 for the life of me. It appears that if I wait for the target to enter the normal motion for the f23 input to connect, it's too late and misses. I'm having a hard time here. Can anyone help me out?
It's difficult to give any concrete information since you'll always have to make adjustments for online play. There have been some matches where I had to input the f23 only slightly sooner than I do in offline practice, and there have been matches where I had to do the input about a whole second early (almost right after the last hit of 323). All you can do is just keep playing matches and eventually you'll learn to feel out the delay and adjust accordingly. Even then, you'll still have some matches where it simply won't come out or connect no matter what you do.

PhilAuto

Noob
good job with the guide first off, haven't got time to read the whole thing yet I just have one thing to say.
Why is b222 being recommended by many as your go-to overhead string? I use b23 most of the time because it is only -3 on block. On hit f2 is easy to input giving 16% damage and puts your opponent full screen which is ideal for many match ups.

So i'm having trouble again. I don't know if i'm overthinking everything or what. But I can hit a 323 F23 swordflip combo in the lab everytime. However, when I try to go with any other combo using the 323 F23 i'm dropping the F23. I'm entirely confused as to why this has begun happening. Perhaps my eyes aren't sharp enough to tell when to input F23 or something. Any pointers here?

Matix218

Get over here!
So i'm having trouble again. I don't know if i'm overthinking everything or what. But I can hit a 323 F23 swordflip combo in the lab everytime. However, when I try to go with any other combo using the 323 F23 i'm dropping the F23. I'm entirely confused as to why this has begun happening. Perhaps my eyes aren't sharp enough to tell when to input F23 or something. Any pointers here?
Its just a timing thing. Sometimes I drop it too, I think all deathstroke players do occasionally. Best thing to do is practice every bnb until you can hit it basically every time (meaning practice your bnb off of each starter: b1u2, f3, b3, 132, 323 etc). I find the f23 timing actually seems different based of which combo it is which is why it can be difficult sometimes. Once you have that consistancy down off of each starter, play the AI and practice executing the combos in an actual match situation. As for online, I can't help you there, I almost always drop the f23 in online combos due to the delay. I hate online in this game, I try to avoid it cause all it seems to do is frustrate me and make my offline timing all messed up :p

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
good job with the guide first off, haven't got time to read the whole thing yet I just have one thing to say.
Why is b222 being recommended by many as your go-to overhead string? I use b23 most of the time because it is only -3 on block. On hit f2 is easy to input giving 16% damage and puts your opponent full screen which is ideal for many match ups.
I'd say on a handful of MUs, putting your opponent full-screen is ideal (Bane, Hawkgirl, etc). But for the most part, the hard knockdown and spacing of b222 trumps the damage and full-screen properties of b23f2. There are some characters now where knocking them full-screen is a death sentence for Deathstroke after the gun nerf. Robin, Sinestro, Ares, and a few others can give him enormous problems if they get full-screen.

The only bad matchups DS has is NW and DD on power character favorable stages.

DS is kind like of like the Ryu of this game... good at everything not the best at anything... thats why I agree that most of his matchups are 5-5.

I think you just need to learn the sinestro matchup a little better, and get better at checking his tools and trait activation with your guns. I don't believe any of his moves have invincible frames on wakeup so you can always just d1 on his wakeup to check him since spiderarms only hits high and is the closest thing he has to invincible due to hitbox reasons. Then run your frame traps and mixups off the threat of d1.

Scorpion would be the ideal alternative character because his teleport checks mindless full screen NW spam and DD spam.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The only bad matchups DS has is NW and DD on power character favorable stages.

DS is kind like of like the Ryu of this game... good at everything not the best at anything... thats why I agree that most of his matchups are 5-5.

I think you just need to learn the sinestro matchup a little better, and get better at checking his tools and trait activation with your guns. I don't believe any of his moves have invincible frames on wakeup so you can always just d1 on his wakeup to check him since spiderarms only hits high and is the closest thing he has to invincible due to hitbox reasons. Then run your frame traps and mixups off the threat of d1.

Scorpion would be the ideal alternative character because his teleport checks mindless full screen NW spam and DD spam.
I wouldn't say Doomsday is any worse than 5/5, maybe even 6/4 in Deathstroke's favor.

Nightwing is awful and Sinestro is even worse. You can't give him space, but post-patch his Arachnid move hits mid and does have invincible frames, and since it catches cross-over attempts, you literally cannot pressure Sinestro on wake-up. It is -12 on block, but it pushes back far enough that Deathstroke has no options to properly punish it except for Quick Fire. Even if you spend a bar on punishing, that's only 16%, and you're left pretty neutral, meaning you'll have to continue to chase him down.

I would also put Superman at a possible 7/3. He outclasses Deathstroke from almost every position on screen, and the only way Deathstroke can break some of his frame traps and corner pressure is with push-block. The problem with that is it leaves Superman right in Deathstroke's impotent zone, where none of his tools are effective. Only his gunshots can reach that far, and they're too unsafe to use at that range. On the other hand, push-block distance is perfect for Superman to start up another offense with airdashes, f23, lasers, or whatever the hell he wants to do. Honestly, there's no reason a good Superman player should ever lose to Deathstroke.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Whoah whoah, Sinestro is not that bad. DS just has an answer to everything he does at a range barring full screen fear vlasts. The matchup is 5-5 at WORST.

Im still under the firm belief that Superman isnt as bad as 7-3. F23 xx breath is overrated. DS can punish that better than most characters can.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Yeah, Sinestro is a 5-5 if not better than that for DS. You don't have to ever try and combo him - just stay in mid range and shoot his ass whenever he does anything. He can't do a goddamn thing about it.

Heaton

NO MONEY DOWN
Sinestro is fun. Ran into one @ NWM that insisted on trading Fear Blast with Quick Fire even after I'd established the life lead. This is now my basis for the Sinestro match-up, and thus why I believe it to be 10:0.

Honestly though, it feels even. I should try to find the range that Low Shots ducks Fear Blast consistently, since that shit is undoubtedly annoying as hell for Sinestro players. Otherwise just pay attention to what he's doing and shoot him for doing anything that you can shoot him for, which should be a lot if you're the more patient player.

Superman, I think you need to play a lot more defensively. Full screen, just chill and try to play reactionary. Jump and Air Quick Fire if you see him leave the ground for a second, since his jump is a bit floatier than yours and he's probably going to Air Laser anyway. Work on trying to react to the high laser and try to Low Shot under it. It's tough, but very do-able if you're already holding back. Low Shot ducks way earlier than it looks; almost as soon as you press the button and I'm thinking before his animation actually shows him ducking. Haven't quite worked out footsie range, but I spend most of my time trying to get out, because fuck going toe-to-toe with some asshole who can blow you up for half life.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
To any 360 players who don't think the Sinestro MU is at least 6/4 in Sinestro's favor, play AK Pig Of The Hut. If you can stay in that sweet spot and Low Quick Fire under his Fear Blasts then you can win, but no decent Sinestro is going to let that happen. With Sinestro's buffs combined with Deathstroke's nerfs, this is a fairly 1-sided MU. Also don't forget to take Sinestro's trait into consideration, which completely shuts down Deathstroke's game.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm currently working out the following block strings, which I'll get added to the guide once I can test them fully. Some of then are spacing-dependent. All were performed on Catwoman, and I'll test then on a big character when I have time.

Also realize that these are block strings, not frame traps (though some are close to frame traps). These are simply attacks that go well together due to their spacing, pushback, frames, and hit level.

Feel free to experiment with them and post your findings:

After f3: j1 will cross up and can link into b1u2. Doesn't work at tip of f3 range. If your opponent jumps in any direction, the j1 will catch them and can be linked into 323-f23-sword flip.

After f3: B1u2 is free pressure if you get the timing down.

After f3: an early j3 will not cross up and can link into f23 sword flip. A late j3 will cross up and can link into 323-f23-sword flip.

After f3: you have time to step forward and f23 against anything 6 frames or slower. This seems to be fairly inconsistent against some characters and attacks, however.

After f3: throw (hold forward to make sure the throw connects).

After b1u2: j2-b1u2.

After b1u2: j2-b222

After b1u2: j3

After f23: a late j3 will usually cross up your opponent while an early j3 will not, making this very difficult to block. J3 may be confirmed into f23 sword flip on hit or followed with block strings on block.

After f23: J2 will almost always cross up except from a max-range f2 and will link into b1u2. Any string that hits overhead-low while crossing up is almost impossible to block. J2 can also link into f23, setting up a block-string loop.

After j3: any blocked j3 can be followed up with another j3. As always, the followup j3 may be done early or late to determine cross-up potential.

After j3: throw (actual frame trap. Throw must be teched)

After cross-up j3: hold forward and wait a split second before doing f23. If you f23 too early it will whiff.

Now the great thing about these block strings is that they all go into each other. If a block string ends with b1u2, then it may be followed by any block string that begins with b1u2. For instance, I could throw out f3-b1u2-j2-b1u2-j2-b222. This also means that some of them can repeat indefinitely, such as j3 cross-up into j3-cross-up. You can even vary the timing on each j3 to mix it up even further.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Building on the previous post, certain combinations of block strings leave you at specific distances, allowing for more shenanigans, such as...

F23-j2(crossup)-b1u2-j3-throw

F23-j2(CU)-b1u2-j3-j3(CU)-f23...(repeats indefinitely)

J3(CU)-f23-j2(CU)-b1u2-j3-throw (or j3CU to repeat the loop).

F3-j3(CU)-f23-j2(CU)-b1u2-j3-j3(CU)-f23...