What's new

Guide The Ultimate Deathstroke Guide

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Those last two posts are super important and should definitely be read if you haven't already. Pressure into pressure into pressure is gdlk.

Shit was so important I made a chart!

Ha, that's awesome! I played a ton of offline matches yesterday, including a tournment where only 2 other people showed up and was able to put a lot of the theories into practice. Unfortunately most of my fights were against Aquaman, whose d2 negates every pressure string that involves a jump or cross-up, but even when the attacks weren't d2'd I found them fairly unreliable. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff was working fine and I ended up taking the tiny tournament with a rushdown Deathstroke, but a lot of the cross-up pressure options like j2 after f23 didn't work a single time. I'll experiment more and try to figure out which ones are viable in an actual match. If anyone wants to get into online practice with me, that would be very beneficial.

drywall

Noob
Sometimes after a j3-f23-b1u2-j3 they are too far for f23 or throw but you can insert a 3-j3 to maintain some advantage (if 3 is actually +4 as listed). Also if they start to aa your jumps after b1u2 you can dash-f23/throw depending on their aa. Nice work both of you :D.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sometimes after a j3-f23-b1u2-j3 they are too far for f23 or throw but you can insert a 3-j3 to maintain some advantage (if 3 is actually +4 as listed). Also if they start to aa your jumps after b1u2 you can dash-f23/throw depending on their aa. Nice work both of you :D.
Wow, I never thought of using a naked 3 for block advantage. That's going to open up a ton of options. Thanks!

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
"Where does Deathstroke get all these wonderful toys..." (in regards to the Block Pressure Flow Chart)

Good stuff guys! The Batman and Aquaman boards have been dead as of late :mad: . Some of the best tech is definitely on this forum. I need to consider joining your ranks and maining Deathstroke. :D

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm probably just dense, but what does (CU) mean in that chart?
Cross-up. Some jumping attacks are guaranteed to cross-up when used after certain advantageous strings, unless the opponent backdashes.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
I was messing around with Deathstroke in training mode to see how to better fight him since he's a pretty popular character, and I've got to say this character is ridiculous, I found this set up in the corner that might be good to try out, tell me what you think.

Any combo in the corner should lead to a good 50-55%.
His down+1 is a 7 frame low and his back+2 is an 11 frame overhead, cancel either of these into his MB QCB+3, then do his 3 - 2 string and cancel the 2nd hit into his trait. Since his trait makes all gunshots unblockable, you can do his 1-3-2 string into a full 30% combo.
Obviously the opponent can do a wakeup attack, but your in a good position to guess right. Unless it's a safe wakeup, you should still be able to get the same 30%

Wow, great thread karaokelove. Excellent work. Heaton I love that flow chart.

I am a pretty new fighting game player. I don't play Capcom games and have only played MKvDC, MK9, and Injustice this generation. So I am playing catchup when it comes to fighting game fundamentals. At the moment, I perform best with Grundy. I flipped through all the characters and decided upon him simply because I felt his trait would be most useful for me. I don't like stance changes and I don't like messing with buffs/debuffs. His grab ends up being a really great punisher and an easy way to deal damage without having to rely upon skill-heavy combos. So I end up playing defensive and sneaky, waiting for a good trait grab set-up.

Thanks to this guide, I have been spending time in practice mode and executing combos in arcade ladder to practice with Deathstroke. Other than that tricky B1U2 -> F3 timing, I feel comfortable executing the combos.

My problem with my hand to hand game I think is a fundamental one so maybe you guys can help me. For instance, I fought a Flash online. I am comfortable with blocking multiple strings. My problem? I don't know how to follow up. My line of thinking is block block block, "Now what?" D1 poke. Block Block Block, "What should I do?" D1 poke. Block Block Block, uh, 132 ouch I'm taking a full combo.

Maybe I am waiting too long after blocking string to return with a string like 132/323, etc. because I am afraid of being caught pressing a button during their string. Or am I thinking about this all wrong? Do I need to be jumping out, back dashing? How do you guys respond to rushdown. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work, DS community.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.

I am a pretty new fighting game player. I don't play Capcom games and have only played MKvDC, MK9, and Injustice this generation. So I am playing catchup when it comes to fighting game fundamentals. At the moment, I perform best with Grundy. I flipped through all the characters and decided upon him simply because I felt his trait would be most useful for me. I don't like stance changes and I don't like messing with buffs/debuffs. His grab ends up being a really great punisher and an easy way to deal damage without having to rely upon skill-heavy combos. So I end up playing defensive and sneaky, waiting for a good trait grab set-up.

Thanks to this guide, I have been spending time in practice mode and executing combos in arcade ladder to practice with Deathstroke. Other than that tricky B1U2 -> F3 timing, I feel comfortable executing the combos.

My problem with my hand to hand game I think is a fundamental one so maybe you guys can help me. For instance, I fought a Flash online. I am comfortable with blocking multiple strings. My problem? I don't know how to follow up. My line of thinking is block block block, "Now what?" D1 poke. Block Block Block, "What should I do?" D1 poke. Block Block Block, uh, 132 ouch I'm taking a full combo.

Maybe I am waiting too long after blocking string to return with a string like 132/323, etc. because I am afraid of being caught pressing a button during their string. Or am I thinking about this all wrong? Do I need to be jumping out, back dashing? How do you guys respond to rushdown. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

It's all about finding openings in the opponents assault and retaliating with a move fast enough to break free.

Sword Spin = 8 frame startup
Sword Flip = 8 frame startup
D1 = 7 frame startup
F23 = 7 frame startup
MB F3 = 4 frames until armor activates
MB B3 = 4 frames until armor activates

Those are his faster moves for breaking out of pressure. F3 and F23 leave you massively positive, allowing you to create your own offense even on block. D1 and Spin are the simplest and safe.

If they end a string and you are at frame advantage armor F3 if hits finish the combo, if they block it then they are frame trapped and you can b1 or b2.

If their combo or move leaves them at -9 then 132 j2 323 F23 SF.

If they have a parry then d1 ss.

Thanks Mikman360 and JokeStroke. I have gotten pretty good with d1, grab.

What's my best use of meter? I feel like I burn it on pistols too much. I try use it on a F3.

Anyone have any good punishments for Batgirl's blocked teleport? For Batgirl I guess the idea is to maintain a strong ground game? Any tips for that match-up? Lots of Batgirls these days.

drywall

Noob
Thanks Mikman360 and JokeStrokeWhat's my best use of meter? I feel like I burn it on pistols too much. I try use it on a F3.

Anyone have any good punishments for Batgirl's blocked teleport? For Batgirl I guess the idea is to maintain a strong ground game? Any tips for that match-up? Lots of Batgirls these days.
Use meter for F3 on their wakeup and whenever. Also overhead spin in the corner. I've been testing out b22MB cancels but it is not ideal in terms of resources spent to damage.

This is all I found for batgirl. Batgirl is -13 on Batwheel to overhead, and -8 on Batwheel to low. She puts herself just in range for 132~ punish. If she keeps spamming it you can stop her in between cartwheels with almost anything. You can't jump out or armor in between the cartwheel and the mixups but you can backdash between the cartwheel and the low mixup.

You can fuzzy guard batgirl's cartwheel. Just hold back right after she finishes the cartwheel and then pull down quickly. The overhead comes out faster than the low, which makes this possible. Good luck with it online.

EDIT: Blocked teleport gets at least a B1 punish so 132 should work but she has a smaller hitbox so the followup jump2 is probably tight on the timing.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Use meter for F3 on their wakeup and whenever. Also overhead spin in the corner. I've been testing out b22MB cancels but it is not ideal in terms of resources spent to damage.

This is all I found for batgirl. Batgirl is -13 on Batwheel to overhead, and -8 on Batwheel to low. She puts herself just in range for 132~ punish. If she keeps spamming it you can stop her in between cartwheels with almost anything. You can't jump out or armor in between the cartwheel and the mixups but you can backdash between the cartwheel and the low mixup.

You can fuzzy guard batgirl's cartwheel. Just hold back right after she finishes the cartwheel and then pull down quickly. The overhead comes out faster than the low, which makes this possible. Good luck with it online.

This. I occassionally use meter for B1 xx MB F3 for a low > overhead string. Otherwise, clash and pushguard for keepaway matchups.

Also, do B2 xx MB B3. It's more consistent than B22. B22 pushes certain characters too far away. But do keep in mind that these are very costly maneuvers in terms of meter.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
"Deathstroke’s trait is more of a liability than anything else, and should be avoided. The only time you might consider using it is when fighting Bane, since most Bane players tend to turtle up when their Venom trait is on cooldown."

I think you need to amend this part of your guide.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Might be coming back post-patch. I've completed my move to Iowa and got a new business up and running, meaning I can now spare a few extra hours every day. Since Black Manta still isn't an option, I'll be coming right back to Slade. If that happens, expect to see a guide overhaul.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
karaokelove Soooo what's good with the rest of the guide sir? :)
Unfortunately I've retired from Injustice. Just don't have the time to invest in learning the MU's. I will say that Deathstroke is a lot more reliant on his rushdown game than he was when I wrote the guide, but most of the rushdown info in the guide still applies. Mainly use his guns for full-screen pressure and to punish/control interactables.

Those last two posts are super important and should definitely be read if you haven't already. Pressure into pressure into pressure is gdlk.

Shit was so important I made a chart!

god this makes me want to go crazy... this is so dumb. completely untrue and not true block strings...

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
god this makes me want to go crazy... this is so dumb. completely untrue and not true block strings...
Why are you even looking around this forum, this character dropped lower post patch. I mean I guess hes still playable, but he is not nearly as good as he was..his trait was RUINED with this patch

Also @anyone why am I getting notifications for this thread, I made one comment like months ago..