What's new

The "Test Your Might" Appreciation Thread

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Let's have a conversation based of positivity here guys. I'll start it off. I love TYM. Since I joined back in 2011 I check it everyday frequently. Almost as much as I check my Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Yes I'm a social media junk. Hell even my girlfriend of two years knows about this site and what it means to me. I'm writing this as an open letter to every single member. The lurkers, online warriors, tournament players, top players. Everyone. I want to hear about what TYM means to you personally. Here's my story.

In 2011 I stumbled across this website on accident as I was looking through online tutorials on how to do combos with different characters. My initial reaction was that I was an encyclopedia for all things MK related. That was cool to me because I've been a fan of MK since I was a child. Thanks to you guys I learned how to do combos! That was BIG for me at the time lol. I didn't understand the concept of tournaments either. I remember seeing a post by PIG back then trying to get people to come play offline, and I made plans to go but... I pissed that $300 away a strip club (That was well worth it!) 3 years later I also kind of understand what frame data, spacing, and footies mean. I've been to a local tournament a couple of times and it was fun. So I just want to say thank you to every on TYM for helping me find a positive hobby. I'm not running the streets. I'm not in jail. I just go to work, spend time with my woman & family, and playing Fighting games. I can't complain about life.

*Side Note* @Tom Brady Back in 2011/2012 I said some off the wall slick shit to you that you probably don't even remember in the Sub-Zero forums, but I'm sorry dude. Been meaning to say that for a while now.

Also thanks to the Atlanta guys for making me feel very welcomed at the locals.

All in all though man seriously... I love this site. It really does keep me productive. I love checking it everyday. Fuck I watch tournaments at work. I've called off work and ordered Pizza Hut to watch EVO the past two years.
So what's your story with TYM? Why do you love it?

I wont do a spell check. I dropped out of college for a reason so If you see something grammatically incorrect deal with it. :joker:

Positives Vibes man.

Members I appreciate:

S tier
16-Bit, Slips, Pig of the Hut, O.REO, bradycast Tom Brady, cocky PL, salty PL, Insouperable, Rickyraws,

A tier
new leaf REO, new leaf P2W, humble Zyphox, SonicFox, STORMS+admins, GGA, THTB,

B tier
Under_The_Mayo, King Hippo, KDZ, rev0lver, Blind_Man, deg222, AK SaltFace, etc.

C-D tier
Censored by TYM cops

Shit tier
Censored by TYM cops

Anti-Hero tier
General M2Dave, emo Tom, downplaying Wound Cowboy, twitter CD jr, twitter PL, new 52 Zyphox, heel P2W, TYM cops.

Too Sexy For My Shirt tier
Lilith, Goldy, Mr.Mileena, Decay, Noobe, FOREVER KING, Rico Suave

Mystery tier
Gamerblake (His posts are so long I wouldn't know if they're good or bad because tl;dr)

Last edited:

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Test Your Might is the entire reason I got into the FGC. I bought a PS3 for MK, MvC3 and a handful of other games. I had watched streams and all that but seeing all the great stuff about tournaments posted in the "aftermath" section got me to finally go to a major in Season Beatings and I loved it. Been hooked on fighters since.

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
I don't even know you people and I still think of you all as good friends. I can discuss game related stuff and life stuff with you guys. and Everyone has that 1 friend that says stupid shit (myleswright, trickylizard, etc.) but you guys all seem cool.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't even remember how I found out about TYM to be honest, but I do remember how I got into fighters.

I was watching a video of Tom Brady's Sub Zero (on Kahn's Coliseum too, can't remember his opponent though) and I saw him do a combo. I went into practice to attempt to replicate the combo landed it and BAM now I'm here almost three years after watching that video a much better player with plenty of people to share my passion for fighting games with (mainly NRS ones), a huge tech monster and checking this website first thing when I wake up, several times throughout the day if not all day and the very last thing before I go to sleep.

With that said it's 4am here and I'm now going to get some sleep :)
I think I've visited TYM every day since I joined.
SAME, and I'm not even ashamed of that.

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
I was searching for tutorials on how to better play MK9 when it first came out. I googled it and the first site that popped up was this one. Since then I came in here just as a guest and I found out so much material to learn from. I didn't know how to start interacting with anyone, so I would just read the tutorials and leave. Then I created an account, but I was still afraid to post anything. After Evo2013, however, I finally just let go and began to post my opinions in threds and actually played a few players from here. I'm the type of person that filters all the negativity and drama, so for me it's always a good time coming in here and following up on MK related content. I am not as active in the community as I'd like to be due to other parts of my life, but it's still a good experience to have somewhere to come into and discuss the same thing I like with everyone else. During the prerelease of MK9, I was hyped about it, but I was pretty much by myself since everyone I knew at the time were just casual gamers. Now. the road to MKx has been awesome so far.

I basically never post on here but i lurk a lot. Haha. I actually found tym through Medina's stream for MK in 2011. Ramdomly found his stream because he played reptile and i wanted to learn more with the character. I checked tym from time to time then joined for Injustice. I dont post a lot because quite frankly compared to most on here i am terrible but i have learned a lot since joining.
I have seen that sometimes this place gets super negative and people argue over mostly dumb things and some of it is another reason i dont post often but you guys know each other so well you come back together in some way. I dont feel i know anyone on here well enough for that yet but hopefully that will come in time and that maybe i will level up enough to at least be a little help and play some matches with people on here particularly when MKX is released.

DraCuILa

Mute Jokester
Joining TYM was a great choice. I've made lots of friends and played on a level I never thought I would reach in any game I've ever played. Thank u TYM community... Special shout out to the joker community too, these guys put in work for they character and have helped me get better at FGs period.

All in all though man seriously... I love this site. It really does keep me productive. I love checking it everyday. Fuck I watch tournaments at work. I've called off work and ordered Pizza Hut to watch EVO the past two years.
I have totally blown off work, ordered Pizza Hut, and sat on TYM during big reveal days, tournaments, etc. I've also popped of on Brady before (even though he didn't deserve it). I feel your feels, brother Shive.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I want it to be known that I am watching this thread closely.

Any member caught trying to detract from the goal of this topic will be swiftly infracted as necessary, potentially banned. We tightened the rules for a reason, and we're not kidding around.

I will say this, however - after recent discussion, the infraction for "abusing the Like button" has been removed. So by all means, like whatever posts you please, just don't contribute any inflammatory nonsense to this thread.

Carry on.

Any member caught trying to detract from the goal of this topic will be swiftly infracted as necessary, potentially banned. We tightened the rules for a reason, and we're not kidding around.

I will say this, however - after recent discussion, the infraction for "abusing the Like button" has been removed. So by all means, like whatever posts you please, just don't contribute any inflammatory nonsense to this thread.

Carry on.
Blake - Protector of Earthrealm INDEED! Good looking out.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
:eek:...I envy you :(.
Lol. Don't. I was a manager at my last job. I just got fired earlier last month so I'm back to square one, but even if I wasn't I probably would have still asked for that weekend off. Who wants to miss Evo?! It's the Super Bowl of the FGC. I'm NOT missing it for anything.

Hades

Noob
I'm mostly a lurker on the forums but i'm generally viewing these forums most days through the week. I appreciate these forums because I get to find out about the local scenes and tournaments that go on all over the world. I've also learned a lot from TYM frame data, mix ups/set ups and a whole range of gimmicks. I mean hell I barely even play either injustice or mortal kombat anymore but I still enjoy reading the forums and watching tech videos and videos of players playing online. I also really appreciate TYM for the Mortal Kombat X info and leaks. It helps me keep in the loop about the game i'm the most excited for too. I love watching streams and I love watching anything to do with fighting games!

I met a lot of awesome people because of TYM.

It was a pleasure meeting most in offline tournaments, but there's still so many more members I have yet and want to meet!
Without sites like these, I probably wouldn't have even thought of competing for mk9 and meeting all I have already met!

Vagrant

Noob
I'm very grateful for this site and for the people who run it even though I say stuff in anger that may suggest otherwise.

I owe a lot to this site and I'm very grateful to have stumbled upon it years ago.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.

Carry on.
This font is so bright I think I have contacted that thing pig got from reading shitty post on this site.

Anyway I heard about tym after Evo 2011 when I saw a bradycast video while searching for Evo top 8 matches, he called out a bunch of guys on this site called "test your might", I had to check out lmao