What's new

The Stick Thread

First Post! I'm loving all of the custom sticks you've posted...awesom stuff!!

My 3rd MK custom MK stick: Mileena theme

W/ ball top ('cause it works with the theme)

W/ bat top

Underside

Back with start/USB connect/select)

Used Sanwa JLF joystick, clear Seimitsu buttons. Frame is a plasic that was basically scrap from a shop at work. It was a tight fit to get all of the wiring in due to the height of the stick...I had to clip 1/4' from the quick connects. Still want to do a HAPP stick. PS3/PC PCB (Toodles)

AC1984

Kaballin!
Holly shit man, that stick looks neat!!!! very very very good stuff!!!!!
P.S. I love the idea of combining MK9 Mileena top with her shadow wallpaper bottom. great art and concept.

Thanks a lot for the compliments! I'm toying with the idea of doing the whole "shadow" render theme again. Hoping Lui Kang/Raiden renders are good! This was a cool stick to make...just a bit of a pain to make the back fit since it's only 2" tall with about 1.25" to fit the buttons, quick connects, and joystick.

JRF

n00b
Thanks goes out to Paulo from the MK Team for posting this on the MKO forum

pakostevens Posted: 02/07/2011 09:59 AM

On an arcade stick

Front Punch______Back Punch
__________Block__________
Front Kick________Back Kick

The button in the umk3 "run spot" functions as a tag button.
This functionality is the same as BP+BK.

Throws are done with FP+FK for reverse throw, towards+FP+FK for forward throw.
Xray's are done with FK+BLK+BK.

The game is made to work on a traditional MK1 layout.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Thanks goes out to Paulo from the MK Team for posting this on the MKO forum

pakostevens Posted: 02/07/2011 09:59 AM

On an arcade stick

Front Punch______Back Punch
__________Block__________
Front Kick________Back Kick

The button in the umk3 "run spot" functions as a tag button.
This functionality is the same as BP+BK.

Throws are done with FP+FK for reverse throw, towards+FP+FK for forward throw.
Xray's are done with FK+BLK+BK.

The game is made to work on a traditional MK1 layout.
thanks for the post,but ugh.

do. not. like.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Uhmmmm wait what??? Shoudnt it be

Front punch___________Front Kick

____________ Block

Back Punch___________Back kick

This would be closer to the MK1 layout.

I was aware of the button layout...it's going to take a bit of getting used to. Wonder if we'll be able to fully re-assign buttons in the options menu? What I didn't know is if they would have multi-button commands for throws, X-ray. So what will the LT (L2) and RB (R1) be used for? I added these small buttons on my sticks since the TE stick has 'em. He didn't mention the "change stance" button. Oh well, good info either way!

AC1984

Kaballin!
punches on top and kicks on the bottom is not MK at all....If i cant configure buttons then I'll simply replace the cables on my stick.....seriously guys...so weak.

Dark_Rob

Noob
punches on top and kicks on the bottom is not MK at all....If i cant configure buttons then I'll simply replace the cables on my stick.....seriously guys...so weak.
Actually I wouldnt do that Simon. Now that I think about it if we start configuring our buttons like oldschool MK we are really going to be making it awkward for ourselves to do throws and Xrays. It may be different with this new way but I think its something we shall have to get used to. This could be one way Netherrealm is trying to make the game more accessible to other fighting game players, since most other games like Street Fighter for instance tend to have they're punch and kick buttons run horizontally as opposed to vertically like oldschool MK.
I admit it seems wierd to me as well, but I will unlearn what I have learned and give it a shot like this.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
fixed... MKF, please... PLEASE call it by the right name. Feel free to call them whatever you want, however, that's basically giving people a license to mock you mercilessly...

Here you go: http://www.lizardlick.com/Sanwa-35mm-Ball-Tops_c_210.html

all the proof you will ever need to see what they are called... they are called BALL TOPS... and no MK stick should ever have one...LOL
lol I know dude but if it makes you happier I can do so, I refer to that on purpose :p lol and I agree, I like the bats far more myself. I played with one other day actually, my local arcade has an MK4 machine.

Hey red5iver, nice kustom stick man. That Mileena theme looks sweet!

thanks for the post,but ugh.

do. not. like.
I agree, there HAS to be an option to alter the button configuration so that it's like HP is

Front Punch Front Kick

Rear Punch Block Rear Kick

I hope

Tim Static

Adminerator
Just got this from FedEx via MARKMAN!!! Thanks homie! Gonna get this baby on a stick this Saturday with help from Lucky Day!! :)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Damn, MKK lol nice set ups man. Did you make both of those joysticks set ups? And that Tournament portable stick looks very professional, you made that?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Soon we will have a template for custom artwork, and of course you can use any color buttons or ball top/bat top sticks (i am switching the ball to a bat ASAP, just dont have one for a sanwa stick yet).

This is a GREAT stick for a SF player who plays soley on a SF layout, who have never played on the old school MK layout or is just afraid of the old MK layout. THIS IS FOR YOU!

What about people who use the old school MK sticks? Will you like this more? How does it feel? Well, i was skeptical about it, but aside from using it with a ball top so far (i HATE ball tops! lol) it works very well. Its very natural. I tested it using MKT on my PS3 (its a PS3 stick, therefor its only good with a PS3) and it worked great.

I know everyone has preferences, but everyone who uses a stick needs to try this out. Storms will be at Winter Brawl with one for everyone to check out.

MAD PROPS TO LUCKDAY FOR COMING OVER TODAY AND DOING THIS MOD FOR ME!!! THANKS BRO!!

MarkMan

SDTEKKEN.COM
Thanks for the feedback Tim! I appreciate it.

Can you post your thoughts in the SRK thread? I will reply to you there. ;)

Tim Static

Adminerator
i did lol :p

anywho, MM's post from SRK:

MarkMan said:
Thanks for the impressions Tim.

Here's a shot of mine from the other day, I installed the panel on an 'S' TE.

If you really want the Happ-esque feel, I highly suggest you guys do what I did for my original mod/test of one.

1. Go to Lizard Lick Amusements and order a GT-C Round Restrictor Gate (compatible with Sanwa JLF sticks).
  2. Get a Sanwa Bat Top & adapter (Works with Sanwa JLF+adapter or Sanwa JLW-no need for adapter; currently sold out at Lizard Lick x.x) or one of these awesome Toggleme Aluminum Bat Tops !
So you can be stylin' with this:

I'm going to do a classic red/white/blue setup in the near future and pimp it out when I have time.

FYI, on the functionality/playability side. As a supporter of MK and someone who is used to playing on the traditional layout, I'd have to say this one is very much comfortable to the hand/ergonomics still. I tested this out a ton with both old school MK games (MK2 and UMK3) and newer ones (MK vs. DC and MK Deception [lol]). And it performed VERY well in both types of games. Granted this isn't really meant for the newer ones (with tons of button requirements). But all in all, it was a great lean-in to an alternative control type.

For UMK3 using a standard Sanwa ball top/Sanwa buttons, I had no problems pulling off bnb combos or applying run pressure with some characters.

I'm sure the MK players know what I'm talking about... Playing on the old school layout for extended periods of time will help you develop a new/weird muscle (more evident when you first start) in your hand from playing/stretching your hand in ways it's not used to. So if you're used to that, adjusting to this will be NO PROBLEM.