What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kitana The Royal Family - Match Up Discussion/Character Specific Strats

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I got bodied by scorp when slips came to chicago last week. Brutal mu. Same problems you guys are describing. I guess it's karna after mk9 kit and selina beat up old Hanzo
It's a hellish MU for sure. I absolutely hate it. It feels like he can just do whatever he wants.

Tanya vs scorp tho...lol

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
In the Kitana vs Full auto Jacqui matchup, I'm very confident that if Jacqui only stays full screen spamming, Kitana will win the projectile war

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Last post here was MAY 6th.... holy shit. Have we really all given up on trying to develop her? I sure as hell haven't. As much as I love Tanya and Sonya, Kitana will always be my main.

@xKhaoTik, you should update the Kenshi stuff you posted so it is current to the buffs he got.

Fighting a really good Scorpion is a HUGE pain in the ass. You literally can't throw fans or glaives from outside of jump distance. His d4 is like a Dhalsim limb kicking you out of everything you try. I did have success baiting wakeup EX Teleports and punishing with b14 for 41% meterless, but outside of that, he is very difficult to fight. Against the Hellfire RCs, if you make a read that they will go for the RC, you can unblock on the last hit before the RC and it will knock you down so you at least have options... if they read you will do this, they can Teleport and get a full combo. At least you have an option outside of letting them get the 15% chip and meter build. Against Inferno, you can neutral jump to avoid both the OH and Low minions or on a read of a low minion you can run in for a combo if you are not full screen. For this matchup (Inferno), I pick Tanya because you can instant Teleport on reaction to the OH/Low minion and get a full combo every time.

Don't try to uppercut Scorpion when he jumps. His JK is 5 frames and is hit confirmable to Teleport for a full combo. If you are just out of range of his JK, walk back a bit and use lift in Mournful or Assassin. Always be wary of them Teleporting to anything you try because you will get hit. If you try to hit him when he lands from a whiffed JK, don't because his d4 will duck under everything you have that is fast enough. You can stay just out of his footsie range and punish a whiffed d4 with TS or you can just throw out Fan-nado in Royal Storm as he lands to check him which opens up other options.

Kung Jin Bojutsu... you can punish EX Staff and Low Staff with ass or TS. Keep him out with fans, watch out for dive kicks over fans as they can get you pretty easily... but if you are playing smart, you can punish every jump with an air fan to 37% (AF, run~f43, f33~Fan, ff, f4~Lift, NJP, run~3~TS). Using 212~Fan is 100% safe and works REALLY WELL against him because of the pushback on 212... for some reason, different characters get pushed back further or shorter, Scorpion gets pushed back very short on 212.. weird.

Any time you use 212~Fan, if you read they will try to poke or start something after blocking it, you can EX TS and vs characters who don't have much range, you can check them with Fan-nado in Royal Storm or Staff Grab in Mournful.

I was waiting for today to happen, I actually updated the OP June 18th - Now we can really start to work on this.

LEGEND

YES!
Sub zero (gm) MU still feels like Shit. No idea what to do. Anyone have anything on this?

considered checking out if mornfull would be better for this mu but I'd might as well switch characters entirely at that point

Sub zero (gm) MU still feels like Shit. No idea what to do. Anyone have anything on this?

considered checking out if mornfull would be better for this mu but I'd might as well switch characters entirely at that point
There is no easy way to deal with this from what I can see. Block low vs sub and just watch for his overhead. It comes out pretty slow. Also be patient full screen. Oh and respect the slide!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I use Tanya in that MU now lol. But i would say get the life lead and play lame. Reflect his Ice balls and punish his b2. Play the lame game.

Espio

Kokomo
I'll be running that offline this weekend, as well as a few others,

How is everyone fairing against mileena post patch.
I've done well against Ravenous Mileenas just by playing a patient spacing and footsie game. I imagine it would work about the same for piercing. The general match up ethos I apply to Mileena that I use for everyone I play is simple: Let her hang herself. She thrives on sloppy play and has to take risks to get going so I try to feed off that with my style of play. I recorded a set versus a good Mileena player recently and would love feedback so I'll be posting that after work tomorrow :).

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I've done well against Ravenous Mileenas just by playing a patient spacing and footsie game. I imagine it would work about the same for piercing. The general match up ethos I apply to Mileena that I use for everyone I play is simple: Let her hang herself. She thrives on sloppy play and has to take risks to get going so I try to feed off that with my style of play. I recorded a set versus a good Mileena player recently and would love feedback so I'll be posting that after work tomorrow :).
That was kinda my thing, I realized I can't jump at her, like at all, because my JIP will freeking wiff like 90% of the time.
Another thing I was having fun using was D1~ShadowKick(or whatever her damn kick is called in Mournful). The push back on the kick is awesome, and makes it safe to even her Roll. It was such a good way for me to get my space back and dare her to push buttons. I felt like I was using D1 Cutter or some shit lol, cept they can't duck the kick after blocking the D1, the D1 seems to jail them.

Feels like a really great tool In Mournful, But I'm new to this variation, these things were probably already known lol.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
That was kinda my thing, I realized I can't jump at her, like at all, because my JIP will freeking wiff like 90% of the time.
Another thing I was having fun using was D1~ShadowKick(or whatever her damn kick is called in Mournful). The push back on the kick is awesome, and makes it safe to even her Roll. It was such a good way for me to get my space back and dare her to push buttons. I felt like I was using D1 Cutter or some shit lol, cept they can't duck the kick after blocking the D1, the D1 seems to jail them.

Feels like a really great tool In Mournful, But I'm new to this variation, these things were probably already known lol.
D1 Jails, we labbed it remember? Really good piece of tech to. It essentially IS D1 cutter lol

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Man I really hate how Laos tele throw can beat out a d2 during it's animation. Raw lift seems to beat every option out of tele though which is cool.

Just found out you can back dash before the hat spin in b321~hat spin. I had no idea tbh. In fact you can back dash 12212-hat or ex hat too.

Last edited:

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Any advice on dealing with lao and shinnoks tele? For Lao I've been trying f3~lift, but online you almost have to do it as a read rather than on reaction. Shinnocks tele is raping me to be honest and NJP never seems to work for me.

Any advice on dealing with lao and shinnoks tele? For Lao I've been trying f3~lift, but online you almost have to do it as a read rather than on reaction. Shinnocks tele is raping me to be honest and NJP never seems to work for me.
I just try to keep those guys at full screen and zone em out. I like to jump straight up into a high float at full screen, followed by a NJP if I think they're gonna teleport. It catches it just nicely a lot of the time for around a 35% combo. Only have to hit them with that once and they tend not to use it again!

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I think best tool for Lao teleport is D1 fan on reaction, the teleport will always at the max range of D1 so it wins the throw and overhead options, sometimes orbiting hat misses when you do D1 ( but i'm not sure about the quick kick, is it sooooooo terrible that most Lao only does overhead/throw out of teleport?)

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Okay after EVO I have questions:
Is the Royal Storm vs Lao Tempest matchup even or in Kitana's favor? Why did Foxy pick Buzzsaw after losing?
Is Royal Storm vs All 3 Tanya variations matchup heavily in Kitana's favor?
In my head I can figure out why Sonya CO loses so badly to Kitana's Royal Storm. Are there any other matchups against non-bottom-tier-char heavily in Kitana's favor?

Why did Foxy pick Buzzsaw after losing?
He picked buzzsaw because it has slow moving projectiles and has better mix ups. kitana cant just sit there and zone when theres a slow moving projectile coming towards her, but she can use reflect. when foxy threw one he was able to run in after and apply pressure.

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
Anyone else notice the 5% damage from using EX fan lift in royal storm is gone? Not that it's a huge loss or anything but i swore there wasn't any mention of it in the patch notes...

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
Nope. Only in assassin and mournful.
ok wow you're right. Its probably because i started playing with assassin way back at launch and then switched to royal storm and when playing against a friend today, they said what happened to the damage from ex fan lift? Haha my bad thanks man