What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kitana The Royal Family - Match Up Discussion/Character Specific Strats

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Hello fellow Kitana players,

I wanted to start a thread for Match up discussion.

Lets use this thread to address specific match ups, and hash out stratagies and options we have and can use in our certain match ups. This is where we can work together to over come specific things that people are having difficulties with, and learn and grow the character together!!.

I will try keep the OP and second post clean with Spoiler tags for each match up. In each section I will post what we have come up with for sound strats and counter options we have vs said Match up. With the variation system these could start to get pretty crowded, but I will do my best to keep it clean and will monitor and update alot.

As an example of something I would put in the Jaqui section. I didn't know you can get a fan trade with the MB portion of her gun in Full Auto. If you duck the gun and throw a fan (at certain ranges to be explored, Full screen for sure), and they MB the gun, you will get an even trade in damage. If they try spam the gun again they will get hit with the fan. Little things like this can go along way in the end.

Stuff like that. Everybody has different problems in different match ups, so I think the best way to learn is to teach and help eachother!!

THEY WILL LEARN RESPECT!!!!

* Please, no bitching about buffs, nerfs, or anything like that, if you are posting in this thread, I expect that you are serious about Kitana, and want to help other players as well. Thank you.

* I would like this to eventually be something any Kitana player can use in a pinch, if you get beat by something and just be like, damn, wonder what I can do there, you could come here, click the spoiler tag and see what your options are for that certain problem. Be it a special move, a popular strat, a popular pressure situation, or even what Variation might best suit certain match ups. This thread will grow and change as the game changes.

Updated ** May 6th - Kenshi - Will update more this week.

Waiting for some Balance patches to update and grind matches. Right now it is not really worth the time investment, as most match ups are approached the same with Kitana. Will review in a few months time and flesh out thread.

June 18th - Major thread update coming in the next week or 2, Fleshed out with Info for all match ups.

Last edited:

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Cassie Cage
-

D'Vorah
Notes vs Swarm Queen via Chris Jones:

D'vorah-Swarm Queen vs Kitana Assassin

Playing against a d'vorah that can bug into run cancel both variations(low and overhead run cancels) into her BnB, it's not a good matchup. On the other hand, if she can't do those things, I believe Kitana is superior with her pressure; if you can time Kitana's jump ins with Ji2 D'vorah won't be able to punish you because she has no good anti-air except uppercut which is easy to avoid. My brother plays D'vorah with almost perfect wasp run cancels, and it's really hard to beat him even with good footsies and general neutral play.

You can punish her vortex's fullscreen with Assassin Strike. If she jumps near in front of you, a fast jump forward 2 will beat her jump 2, and you can get atleast a 30% combo off of it.

Wake-up EX assassin strike is good for when in the corner as she can't do anything about it except EX Ovipositor Charge and maybe her U3 into her low

I wouldn't recommend trading with her fullscreen, as if your fan and her vortex hits at the same time, she can run up to you full screen and proceed to get a 28% combo.

Fans stuff the wasp attack

Watch out for her f42, as it is a slide, and hits mid-low. Its also a great way to get in against Kitana as it ducks her fans and can stuff Assassin Strike.

Ermac
-

Erron Black
-

Ferra/Torr
-

Jacqueline Briggs
Dealing with Full Auto Gun Spam:

If you are at half screen or further, you can neutral duck the gun (don't block) and throw a fan at the first possible moment. If they start another gun they will get hit by the fan. If they MB the gun your fan will trade for about even damage. (timing is tight but it is very possible).

Jason Voorhees
Don't run or have sex in a tent or cabin

Jax Briggs
-

Johnny Cage
Variation Notes Via exflyingbooty:

Fisticuffs
  • Johnny cage becomes a pure rush down character and because of it he can't get his damage as well instead of from upclose
  • Kitana can simply outzone him due to force balls not being that much of a threat in this variation
  • Making a mistake in neutral will hurt because you will eat a lot of chip damage
  • If he uses shadow kick that is a free 111 punish
  • Oki isn't that good since he has a dp like move due to it's hit box(flip kick)
A- List
  • Treat this around the same as fisticuffs except dp like move (flip kick) isn't in this variation and you can react to this chip damage
Stunt double
  • Johnny best variation against kitana
  • Johnny also gains a mid force ball in this variation so you kind of need to be reacting to his zoning (becomes mid)
  • What you really don't want to happen is him getting his stunt double out, then life gets hard
  • stunt double creates shadows so he's able to send out a flash kick without leaving, if that trades it becomes troublesome
  • Ex flashkick clone has meter, god knows why
  • Bad jump ins will be met with a dp clone
  • If he does get his "stunt double" he will most likely try to hit you with it so at this point you need to stay a full screen away

Goro
-

Kano
-

Kenshi
Notes on Kenshi Via Khaotik:

BALANCED:
-Spirit Push can be punished a variety of ways, with Ass or TS being the easiest way, and iJ2 and RC (run cancel) 111 being the most damaging yet hardest way. Spirit Charge is safe.
- I havent punished Telekinetic slice yet, so I think its safe. MB too.
- Tele Furry is death on block. She can punish with w.e she wants. MB as well. Interesting fact on this move tho. She wins trades with fans, her 6% fans to his 5% fury (since it doesnt get a chance to finish). She can also throw a fan, and follow it up with Royal Storm's EX lift. She wins the trade since the tele furry doesnt get a chance to finish and she can run up and combo. This also works with the EX Furry as well. Also, she can throw a fan, and just run throw the EX tele furry. The first two attacks hit her, but the rest of the move whiffs, leaving kenshi wide open for a combo.
- Rising Karma can be punished with 11 string and iJ2 at certain ranges. EX Karma has to be punished by RC 11 string

POSSESSED:
-Both versions of sickle lift can ONLY be punished by iJ2.
-Both versions of Demon Assault can be punished by w.e you want. She also can do the same thing with the Tele Furry situation
-Soul Push can only be punished by iJ2. EX is safe
His tele can be NJP'd. He is also punishable once he lands
-Both versions of demonic slice is safe

KENJUTSU;

-Both Version of rising sword is punishable by 11 string
-Both versions of spinning blade can be punished by 11 string
-Both versions of Tele Slam are death on block
-Both versions of Push can be punished by RC iJ2, but its not recommended due to how tight the window is for punish
-Both versions of Toss are death on block

Kotal Kahn
-

Kung Jin
-

Kung Lao
-

Liu Kang
-

Mileena
On Wake Up - Via Konqrr:

I was testing what to do against Mileena's wakeups and her only true option is EX Roll as it has armor on frame 1. Every other wakeup (including EX Telekick) get beat by a well timed 11. But if she does EX Roll, you eat a combo. If you do an uppercut on her wakeup, it hits her out of everything and does the full 14% damage to the EX Roll. It's a losing situation if she does that, but that hurts! I am unsure if Reversal Roll punishes the blocked uppercut.

Predator
-

Quan Chi
-

Raiden
-

Reptile
-

Scorpion
General Notes via exflyingbooty:

Ninjitsu
  • This is our best variation against scorpion due to the other tools in the other variations can cause problems
  • Spear trades with fans and it's in our favor
  • Parry in assassin variation beats teleport and ex teleport clean and also beats teleport feint into throw(good position for oki)
  • You don't want to necessarily rush this variation down because he gets really good footsie tools and you're better off just throwing fans
Inferno
  • You need to pay attention to which demon he's summoning, his hand movements can tell you
  • ground minion loses to tk fan toss(rises hands up) scorpion would want to do this attack the most
  • Back minion is very aggravating to deal with even though it doesn't give him enough frame advantage and pushes you out of teleport attack range
  • Same thing with overhead minion, over head minion is hand in a downward motion
  • If scorpion is dealing with fan pressure, he's going to have a very difficult time trying to summon minions so he'll just teleport
Hellfire
  • scorpion gains a fireball and due to the damage and recovery we lose the zoning war, also the fireball iirc is a mid
  • you can tk fan toss or reflect the fireball but he can just teleport at that second
  • Scorpion has a dp like move where he just brings flames around himself so that will really hurt if you do a bad jump in
  • This variation also forces you to play footsies because he gets a power boost and it does a decent amount of extra damage
Other notes
  • His one overhead kick actually has flame on his foot so you kinda need to be sleeping not to see it

Shinnok
-

Sonya Blade
Via Khaotik - Punishing Arc Kick:

Sonya's arc kick is very weird to punish. If you block it low, you can punish it with w.e you want, but if you block it high, you have to run to punish it. No normals reach fast enough to punish it if you blocked high and if you don't run.

Sub-Zero
-

Takashi Takeda
-

Tanya
-

Tremor
-

Last edited:

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Kitana vs Scorpion

Ninjitsu
  • This is our best variation against scorpion due to the other tools in the other variations can cause problems
  • Spear trades with fans and it's in our favor
  • Parry in assassin variation beats teleport and ex teleport clean and also beats teleport feint into throw(good position for oki)
  • You don't want to necessarily rush this variation down because he gets really good footsie tools and you're better off just throwing fans
Inferno
  • You need to pay attention to which demon he's summoning, his hand movements can tell you
  • ground minion loses to tk fan toss(rises hands up) scorpion would want to do this attack the most
  • Back minion is very aggravating to deal with even though it doesn't give him enough frame advantage and pushes you out of teleport attack range
  • Same thing with overhead minion, over head minion is hand in a downward motion
  • If scorpion is dealing with fan pressure, he's going to have a very difficult time trying to summon minions so he'll just teleport
Hellfire
  • scorpion gains a fireball and due to the damage and recovery we lose the zoning war, also the fireball iirc is a mid
  • you can tk fan toss or reflect the fireball but he can just teleport at that second
  • Scorpion has a dp like move where he just brings flames around himself so that will really hurt if you do a bad jump in
  • This variation also forces you to play footsies because he gets a power boost and it does a decent amount of extra damage
Other notes
  • His one overhead kick actually has flame on his foot so you kinda need to be sleeping not to see it

No matter the variation, royal storm shuts him out. I haven't played against a dualist yet. But the mu is basically "You zone, he chases" you wanna use reflect more on his fireballs. Especially his enhanced fireballs. During the zoning war you do recover faster than him and may be able to block if you throw a fan and he throws a fireball. It's also crucial that you utilize your sweep. It moves your hitbox to ground level and has good range. Also punish anything he does negative and end your combos in square boost so he is full screen to zone. If he does something negative on block that isn't punishable (-1 to-8) mix it up with grab or her overhead option/sweep.
In this matchup I don't really press buttons and lame it out.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Can somebody give me some solid matchup advice for full auto Jacqui?
I will be adding a bunch of stuff on monday, but please talk about these match up guys, I have some thoughts on Goro lol. But I have offlines tomorrow, and want to try some stuff against everyone.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
I will be adding a bunch of stuff on monday, but please talk about these match up guys, I have some thoughts on Goro lol. But I have offlines tomorrow, and want to try some stuff against everyone.
Same here, tournament tomorrow and I feel someone gonna pull some Liu bs

The Magician

According to my sources...
D'vorah-Swarm Queen vs Kitana Assassin

Playing against a d'vorah that can bug into run cancel both variations(low and overhead run cancels) into her BnB, it's not a good matchup. On the other hand, if she can't do those things, I believe Kitana is superior with her pressure; if you can time Kitana's jump ins with Ji2 D'vorah won't be able to punish you because she has no good anti-air except uppercut which is easy to avoid. My brother plays D'vorah with almost perfect wasp run cancels, and it's really hard to beat him even with good footsies and general neutral play.

You can punish her vortex's fullscreen with Assassin Strike. If she jumps near in front of you, a fast jump forward 2 will beat her jump 2, and you can get atleast a 30% combo off of it.

Wake-up EX assassin strike is good for when in the corner as she can't do anything about it except EX Ovipositor Charge and maybe her U3 into her low

I wouldn't recommend trading with her fullscreen, as if your fan and her vortex hits at the same time, she can run up to you full screen and proceed to get a 28% combo.

Fans stuff the wasp attack

Watch out for her f42, as it is a slide, and hits mid-low. Its also a great way to get in against Kitana as it ducks her fans and can stuff Assassin Strike.

Last edited:

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Kitana vs Johnny cage

Fisticuffs
  • Johnny cage becomes a pure rush down character and because of it he can't get his damage as well instead of from upclose
  • Kitana can simply outzone him due to force balls not being that much of a threat in this variation
  • Making a mistake in neutral will hurt because you will eat a lot of chip damage
  • If he uses shadow kick that is a free 111 punish
  • Oki isn't that good since he has a dp like move due to it's hit box(flip kick)
A- List
  • Treat this around the same as fisticuffs except dp like move (flip kick) isn't in this variation and you can react to this chip damage
Stunt double
  • Johnny best variation against kitana
  • Johnny also gains a mid force ball in this variation so you kind of need to be reacting to his zoning (becomes mid)
  • What you really don't want to happen is him getting his stunt double out, then life gets hard
  • stunt double creates shadows so he's able to send out a flash kick without leaving, if that trades it becomes troublesome
  • Ex flashkick clone has meter, god knows why
  • Bad jump ins will be met with a dp clone
  • If he does get his "stunt double" he will most likely try to hit you with it so at this point you need to stay a full screen away
Also i figured i'd do one of these everyday just so you all look forward to something

Rean

Noob
how to deal with rushdown brawler cassie? she just spams normal like mad and there is very little i can do about it.
all the crazy fast high-lows i cant block on reaction

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
how to deal with rushdown brawler cassie? she just spams normal like mad and there is very little i can do about it.
all the crazy fast high-lows i cant block on reaction
I fought one last week that had crazy lag on top of that,and just did the same block string. Couldn't punish anything.

The Magician

I fought one last week that had crazy lag on top of that,and just did the same block string. Couldn't punish anything.
Pretty much anything you can do, she can punish; you have to play really safe and punish her nutcracker and her getaway flip. I really like b122 which is a hard knockdown with all 3 hits and is -5 on block (safe). this enables you to get distance (if your RS) or get more momentum if you're assassin. Most Cassies that I play with after EX nut punch is the over head-low-mid string which is f33, sometimes they will go with the low first which is the gun into the flip. All I can really say for this matchup as a cassie player and kitana, don't allow your self to get in the corner; if you do, they will most likely be pushing buttons so you can ex assassin strike or throat slice out of the corner. Same thing with brawler, except she doesn't have as many crazy 50/50s because she has no ex nut punch

Ferra/Torr: was blocking fans all the time, when I get nearer he also blocked 111, db2, db1 or dB3 and then got me, as I don´t like to throw fans all the time and hope he doesn´t come near - any good idea besides a lot of fans?

The Magician

will update OP at work tonight,

Anyone get any matches vs Kano??
I haven't had extensive matchups against Kano but have had enough to where I think I can contribute some information.

Kano is easy to play against, watch for his upball as most Kano's like to go straight to the low version of it so remember to block low.

Your fans stuff his knives if you have the execution down and throw them first.

Kano can punish you really hard and get immense pressure if you get a bad read(e.g. EX assasin strike). Only do EX-wakeups against Kano if you have a read, because he can stuff it unlike most characters.

Everytime I got a knockdown on Kano I mixed it up with b4/d4/b2. Once you get a knockdown you should be winning in pressure (watch out for his ex ball wakeups though).

P.S.
I will add more later when I can.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
Pretty much anything you can do, she can punish; you have to play really safe and punish her nutcracker and her getaway flip. I really like b122 which is a hard knockdown with all 3 hits and is -5 on block (safe). this enables you to get distance (if your RS) or get more momentum if you're assassin. Most Cassies that I play with after EX nut punch is the over head-low-mid string which is f33, sometimes they will go with the low first which is the gun into the flip. All I can really say for this matchup as a cassie player and kitana, don't allow your self to get in the corner; if you do, they will most likely be pushing buttons so you can ex assassin strike or throat slice out of the corner. Same thing with brawler, except she doesn't have as many crazy 50/50s because she has no ex nut punch
Oh great! Thx! Yea I been using b122 as well in other matchups that bought me some space because most don't expect that third hit, and I get the knockdown.