What's new

The RoboCop Thread

121 close grenade now combos on some people, like Baraka. Not, for instance, Jacqui. Because who needs consistency in upholding the law.

At least further testing confirms that Robert is a gentleman, as he won't grenade any of the ladies (unless they have four arms).

Last edited:
I recently picked up the big ol' trashcan with a gun and was wondering if there was anything more to do after a successful air shot other than F3,2xxGrab?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I recently picked up the big ol' trashcan with a gun and was wondering if there was anything more to do after a successful air shot other than F3,2xxGrab?
You might be able to slip in a b2 for a few extra damage points, but it's inconsistent. Usually, if you've somehow launched your opponent with RoboCop, f32~grab will be your go-to ender.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@16 Bit Is this working properly? The hitbox on Arm Crowd Control Cannon seems very inconsistent.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
@16 Bit Is this working properly? The hitbox on Arm Crowd Control Cannon seems very inconsistent.
Might have to do with the way Jax's head is bobbing up and down in his crouching animation when he breathes in the video.. The rocket might need a larger hitbox to get around that.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
So does the new patch make 121 tic into cmd grab? Was fuckin with the lab and it never worked. Is it a bug?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
So does the new patch make 121 tic into cmd grab? Was fuckin with the lab and it never worked. Is it a bug?
I'm on PC so I still haven't been able to test, but the way I understand it, it's not a "true" tick throw, it just works based on frame data. This means if you set the opponent to All Block, it won't work. You have to set them to stance hold and it should connect. This is similar to how his s1 tick throw functions.

Last edited:

Zer0_h0ur

I'm on PC so I still haven't been able to test, but the way I understand it, it's not a "true" tick throw, it just works based on frame data. This means if you set the opponent to All Block, it won't work. You have to set them to stance hold and it should connect. This is similar to how his s1 tick throw functions.
say what...he's got an S1 tic throw too?? I'm so confused

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
say what...he's got an S1 tic throw too?? I'm so confused
Yeah, kind of. If the opponent is holding block then s1 and 121 will tick into command grab. But try this:
  1. Take RoboCop into training mode against another RoboCop.
  2. Record f32 as a kustom reversal and set opponent Robo to do it as a reversal.
  3. Do d1~tick or d3~tick and you'll see that they both work.
  4. Do 1~tick or 121~tick and you should get punished by the f32.
  5. Even without a reversal, if the opponent is set to Block All, then they release block after the hit and the tick throw whiffs after s1 and 121. But, if you set the opponent to Stance Hold, the throws will tick.
So, even though you're canceling into the throw, it still behaves almost as if you did the block string and then the throw as separate attacks. If RoboCop does d1~tick, you can only jump out (because it's a "true" tick throw). But if RoboCop does s1~tick and the opponent pokes after blocking the s1, the poke will beat the throw; same with 121.

Last edited:

Zer0_h0ur

Yeah, kind of. If the opponent is holding block then s1 and 121 will tick into command grab. But try this:
  1. Take RoboCop into training mode against another RoboCop.
  2. Record f32 as a kustom reversal and set opponent Robo to do it as a reversal.
  3. Do d1~tick or d3~tick and you'll see that they both work.
  4. Do 1~tick or 121~tick and you should get punished by the f32.
  5. Even without a reversal, if the opponent is set to Block All, then they release block after the hit and the tick throw whiffs after s1 and 121. But, if you set the opponent to Stance Hold, the throws will tick.
So, even though you're canceling into the throw, it still behaves almost as if you did the block string and then the throw as separate attacks. If RoboCop does d1~tick, you can only jump out (because it's a "true" tick throw). But if RoboCop does s1~tick and the opponent pokes after blocking the s1, the poke will beat the throw; same with 121.
Thats really really stupid, so essentially his cmd grab becomes a high cmd grab off s1/s121

I guess I'll experiment more on people who like to hug block. Good to know. Thanks.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thats really really stupid, so essentially his cmd grab becomes a high cmd grab off s1/s121

I guess I'll experiment more on people who like to hug block. Good to know. Thanks.
I don't think they were intended as tick throw starters, the frame data just ended up creating that scenario because the opponent comes out of blockstun slightly before the grab connects.

It's still almost identical to a normal tick throw, just a little less braindead. The opponent still has to make a read and commit to reacting to the tick. With a real tick they can just jump and punish. With a fake tick, they get more options to punish, but all of those options will still lose if you end up canceling into Flamethrower or Low Auto-9. "Fake" ticks are way more likely to be defeated by mashing, though, which can be frustrating. I think Flamethrower will be way more valuable now as a way to enforce your staggers and ticks, since it will punish such mashing rather severely.

What Robocop said. You are NEVER comboing into tick throws, you cannot - you are always able to duck/jump out of throws. In this sort of cases, the frame data just puts the ungrabbable hit stun and the grab coming out close to each other.

It would be interesting to know if this is intentional from NRS's part or not. Letting go of block makes SOME tick grabs miss when cancelled from strings (Robo, Liu, Nightwolf), even if the frames would otherwise work out (no need to even duck the throws, you just phase through them). Which means that people can, with the right timing, let go of block and block again to cover the grab and other special enders both (as long as they don't come out on the same frame).

Which I kind of like, because it rewards labbing, but also kind of hate, because it means this is yet another noob-stomping mechanic.

Last edited:
Now, then, as proof of it not being intentional (because this is NRS we're talking about): Kotal's 12 xx cmd grab tick works just fine - you cannot unblock to go through it or duck it. Kano 24 xx cmd grab works fine if you let go of block standing, so you have to neutral duck it because it's high, just like you'd expect from the game's rules. Geras f2 xx cmdgrab works, because of course it does. Aaaand... Nightwolf's some strings work, just not 11 xx cmdgrab, for example.

Any down-poke into cmdgrab works fine. It's just all random nonsense that you have to learn case by case, not like we have rules for this.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Now, then, as proof of it not being intentional (because this is NRS we're talking about): Kotal's 12 xx cmd grab tick works just fine. You cannot unblock to go through it.
Yeah, I feel like the 121 tick is just an unforeseen consequence of their tiny frame-data adjustment. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets taken out in the next patch. Like you said, it's a total scrub killer.

I've definitely been abusing this unintentional fake tick throw against my locals a lot. Also great for setting up a flawless block on a counter poke afterwards and, once they start respecting that, a back dash flamethrower/F21 to whiff punish more adventurous buttons.

I really like the new 121. RoboCop is still far from perfect, but it was a really good lil buff

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Finally got the patch on PC and man is 121 dumb now lol. You've now got all of the following options:
  • 1~tick
  • 1 stagger into throw/grab, d1, f3, or backdash/walk back
  • 12 stagger into d1, throw/grab, f3, or backdash/walk back
  • 121 stagger into d1, throw/grab, f3, backdash/walk back, or b2 on hit against jumpy opponents
  • 121~tick
  • 121~special (flamethrower or low auto-9)
The 121~tick can be countered by the opponent pressing any button after blocking 121 (as far as I can tell). But, if they're doing this, they will eat 121~low auto-9 or flamethrower. The risk/reward is still in most opponents' favor, since you're dealing around 13%-18% if they guess wrong and you'll probably eat a full kombo if they guess correctly, but it still adds considerable depth to his rushdown and pressure game. I found that once I land a few 121~grabs, the opponent becomes so afraid of getting grabbed that you can just keep opening them up for free. I have landed more b2's just since this patch dropped than I had since RoboCop's release.

I assumed this patch would make Flamethrower a much stronger option, and it certainly does, but I'm still not sure if it's enough to justify taking over Arm Crowd Control Cannon. The missiles are so good for keeping people out of the air, helping significantly in many matchups. Their 9% damage allows them to trade favorably with many projectiles that would out-trade Low Auto-9.

Flamethrower tacks on some additional damage to RoboCop's non-launching strings, but otherwise doesn't add much in the way of utility to his kit. This means that without Flamethrower, you can still do everything you would do with Flamethrower, you'll just deal less damage. Naked 121 on hit still jails into everything, and they have to guess between grab or string. Same with f32, f2, f21, and basically any of his non-launchers that leave him within grab range on hit. Any damage you miss by not taking Flamethrower is made up for by the damage you will get from hitting with your rockets.

The only time I might take Flamethrower rather than Arm Crowd Control Cannon is against characters with strong teleports, such as Raiden, Scorpion, Skarlet, and Terminator. Even against Jade, well-timed rockets can make it difficult for her to get Glow up, and if she doesn't have Glow, they will easily catch her out of the air.

Last edited:
I use flamethrower primarily for my locals. My locals are good people, fine folk really...I consider them my friends. But fuck me if they aren't some of the most degenerate and disrespectful fighting game players.

Flamethrower is really, really good for shutting down general goonery. Trying to jump outta my frames? Go to jail. Trying to mash outta my frames? Go to jail. Trying to use the myriad of defensive options? No sir, have a restand.

With both F3,2 and 1,2,1 being easily hit confirmed and solid staggers on top of Robo's degenerate back dash...it becomes a nightmare in the corner.

Again, this is just my experience with my 12-20 player locals. I will definitely revisit the cannon.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I use flamethrower primarily for my locals. My locals are good people, fine folk really...I consider them my friends. But fuck me if they aren't some of the most degenerate and disrespectful fighting game players.

Flamethrower is really, really good for shutting down general goonery. Trying to jump outta my frames? Go to jail. Trying to mash outta my frames? Go to jail. Trying to use the myriad of defensive options? No sir, have a restand.

With both F3,2 and 1,2,1 being easily hit confirmed and solid staggers on top of Robo's degenerate back dash...it becomes a nightmare in the corner.

Again, this is just my experience with my 12-20 player locals. I will definitely revisit the cannon.
I for sure agree with all that. It's an excellent tool and you can shut down a lot of scrubby behavior with it. But, you can get a lot of those same effects from low auto-9 and missile. The damage won't be as high and you won't be in the same advantageous on-hit situation, but they're both safer on block and deal significant damage. So, you're not as much of a threat as if you had flamethrower, but you can still be enough of a threat to make people respect your staggers.

I feel like Flamethrower doesn't really alter any of his matchups. Like, it lets him deal more damage doing what he does, but that's it. With missiles, your zoning goes up to a whole other level. It lets you trade favorably with things that beat low auto-9. It gives you a ghetto frame trap with f21. I can say that the damage I get from my missiles far outclasses the damage I'm missing from not having flamethrower.

Last edited:
@RoboCop gonna try cannon instead of flamethrower today at our local's dojo day. See if I can piss these people off even more than usual. I'll report my experiences later. Thanks for the heads up on a tool I legitimately kinda forgot about.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@RoboCop gonna try cannon instead of flamethrower today at our local's dojo day. See if I can piss these people off even more than usual. I'll report my experiences later. Thanks for the heads up on a tool I legitimately kinda forgot about.
You can amplify the missile after f21 and it will hit 9 times out of 10 for +7 on block or decent damage to send them full screen. I've encountered very few opponents who were aware I was +7 after they blocked it, making it a very easy way to land your f212 KB (so, do f212~bf2.amp followed by another f212). Just be careful with the followup because savvy opponents can make the followup f212 whiff if they backdash.

Just using 121 instead of 121~flamethrower results in less direct damage, but it also leaves you an extra 10 or so frames to work with. So, when keeping an opponent locked down with repeated 121s, you can vary the timing to help prevent flawless block punishes. It's pretty crazy how late you can put out another jailing s1 after hitting with naked 121.

Good luck!

@RoboCop So I really like arm cannon! I think I will add it to my regular rotation.

It really helped out against our resident Raiden (he doesn't use teleport because he is insane). Being able to keep him the fuck away from me more often rather than needing to risk my whole ass to chip away with flamethrower restands was nice.

It REALLY helped out with our resident Kotal until he got flustered and used cat. Still useful, but I ended up going back to flamethrower.

It was not quite as useful against our resident Rambo. The low profiling from snare and the poor trades with low auto nine had me just switch characters.

It definitely improved my chances against our best player who uses Upgraded Kabal. Cannon forced him to actually use his brain as to when he would jump around like an ass hole.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@TheJaxLife Thanks for the update! Glad you found success with it! And yeah, the cat is a pretty good reason to go flamethrower, I'd say. I haven't played any good Rambos yet; sounds like I need to find one to grind out that matchup.

Zer0_h0ur

I alternate between Missile, Flamethrower, low shot and cmd grab, flamethrower, low shot.

For my level of online KL type stuff, flame thrower is so damn good because people simply do not like blocking. They wakeup jump, mash, d1 disrespectfully so often, even after you punish them 10 times they will keep disrespecting in my exp.
If I played an extended set with a good player, I imagine I'd likely toss flamethrower for something else...but against the majority of riff-raff I play, Flamethrower is invaluable