What's new

The Quan Chi Improvement Thread: Speak Up!

Fallacy

Noob
Man im hating this patch delay i wanna get my hands on the quan chi changes so i can complain properly.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Fallacy said:
Man im hating this patch delay i wanna get my hands on the quan chi changes so i can complain properly.
Prepare your list of complaints. REO and I talked to Tom Brady. Quan Chi is going to be one of the worst characters in the game after the patch. He will have no winning match ups. Only 5/5 or worse. Cyber Sub Zero will beat Quan Chi 8:2 or worse after the patch.

Xstatic

Noob
So how unsafe is the b3, 1+2 string? I was getting hit by uppercuts in between hits by a Stryker player. I thought the Kung Lao match couldn't get any worse, but now I can't even mix him up properly because a correct guess means eating a spin. I hope it's only punishable by 6/7 frame attacks, but that means everyone could just jab out of it. It would be nice if at least the b3, 1+2 string was safe considering u3, trance is not. You know, I was getting used to not having a good wake-up attack or quick ranged special to help me punish things outside uppercut range, and now this comes to my attention. I hope Crunchy gets something in the future. He's too fun to use for me to drop. :(

At least he still has his gibberish.

REO

Undead
Unfortunately his B+3,1+2 string is a gimmick and will not work much on experienced players. Every character can interrupt it on reaction with pokes, how bad he gets punished for it is character dependent.

I think giving his B+3 in the B+3,1+2 string more block stun so it can't be interrupted would be a reasonable buff.

Played quan chi at e3 and it was the patched version, changes i noticed was he blows.... after his stomp their is no hit stun whatsoever, you can't reset at all. everyone time i do so, i get uppercutted before i even input anything. also u r able to move quickly after trance.

Xstatic

Noob
Yep, all you can do now is go for a high/low attempt after the stomp. You can't force them to block your 1,1 anymore.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Was using the patched quan chi a bit. I noticed a lot of times players can simply jump out after a stomp now so I can't even do a u3 or f1,2 string anymore. Only sometimes does his b3,12 hit because the overhead hits them in the air. Is this true? Or am I doing my strings to slow allowing them to jump out?

Xstatic

Noob
Yeah, it is easier to jump out now. This is one of the reasons I've been trying to find a decent string after the stomp. So far, I've been using 212. Only once has someone jumped out of it, and I think it was because I did it too late. I've been doing 212 or grab (which can be jumped) after the stomp.

Cat

Yeah, it is easier to jump out now. This is one of the reasons I've been trying to find a decent string after the stomp. So far, I've been using 212. Only once has someone jumped out of it, and I think it was because I did it too late. I've been doing 212 or grab (which can be jumped) after the stomp.
I see. Well if you still do his back 3 then 12 overhead it can still get them as they try to jump away. Once I see they start jumping away I imeddiatly Jump punch them air to air then combo into 2, then trance. Still a good mixup.

Xstatic

Noob
I see. Well if you still do his back 3 then 12 overhead it can still get them as they try to jump away. Once I see they start jumping away I imeddiatly Jump punch them air to air then combo into 2, then trance. Still a good mixup.
I've been trying to avoid using b31+2 too much because it is punishable between hits by quick uppercuts and specials (like Kung Lao's spin). It is definitely something to do against those who can only jab out of it.

Cat

I've been trying to avoid using b31+2 too much because it is punishable between hits by quick uppercuts and specials (like Kung Lao's spin). It is definitely something to do against those who can only jab out of it.
Interesting I didn't know that. I will watch out for those. I live quan chi he is just so fun to play with. He's such a bad ass.

Xstatic

Noob
Interesting I didn't know that. I will watch out for those. I live quan chi he is just so fun to play with. He's such a bad ass.
Yeah. Yesterday, I had a Cyrax player d1 me during the string everytime. It doesn't seem so bad, but having a Cyrax with frame advantage up close is no joke. REO stated that b31+2 is a gimmick. I think b31+2/u3, Trance mixup is something to use sparingly. I've been seeing much better results against good players by finding safer options that will still keep pressure on. That's why I've been using 212 a lot after the stomp because on hit it results in stagger, and on block it is safe.

Maybe you can try this set-up and tell me what you think? I'm looking for feedback. I don't think people can jump out of it if you do it after a quick dash cancel, but I am unsure.

Cat

Yeah. Yesterday, I had a Cyrax player d1 me during the string everytime. It doesn't seem so bad, but having a Cyrax with frame advantage up close is no joke. REO stated that b31+2 is a gimmick. I think b31+2/u3, Trance mixup is something to use sparingly. I've been seeing much better results against good players by finding safer options that will still keep pressure on. That's why I've been using 212 a lot after the stomp because on hit it results in stagger, and on block it is safe.

Maybe you can try this set-up and tell me what you think? I'm looking for feedback. I don't think people can jump out of it if you do it after a quick dash cancel, but I am unsure.
I will try it out. Does that string have mids or lows?

Xstatic

Noob
I will try it out. Does that string have mids or lows?
It doesn't. The best thing about it is that it can't be crouched or jumped (I think) so the mind game is either 212 or grab (block or don't block mix-up). If 212 or grab hits, the result is more pressure.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The Ground Bursts will receive buffs in the coming tweak. However, that is the only buff NRS is giving Quan Chi. Skeletal Boost and Trance are difficult to balance, so NRS is keeping these two special moves as they currently are. Bad. I expect him to be mid tier at the very best.

Xstatic

Noob
Ground bursts have a lot of problems such as long start-up, long recovery and the far version isn't even full screen. I want to be optimistic that they can fix all these problems to make the move useful, but I'm very skeptical. I was hoping for an improvement on the teleport's distance when steering behind the opponent at the very least... Does ground burst have invincibility frames on wake-up? I could see the close version being a somewhat useful wake-up attack.

BTW, Cat, I was using 212 after the stomp yesterday. I faced a guy who was definitely trying to jump out of the situation. The 212 hit, but it juggles for a knockdown (that's how I know he jumped). The 212/Grab mix-up after the stomp has really improved my play, but I hope someone finds something better.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Awwwwww yeauuuuuuuh to ground burst buffs! They knew this move was window dressing at it presently is, I'm glad NRS wants to make this a viable tool.

As for HOW it is being buffed? I'm hoping that it's cancellable like C. Viper's seismic hammer. Then again, he would share too much in common with Jax if that happened....It'll probably be faster startup with faster recovery - minor tweaks, but VERY necessary.

@M2Dave, do you know what the ground burst buffs consist of yet?

Xstatic

Noob
More safety (on block at least) and more advantage (on hit at least), supposedly.
Thanks! This means we can use it in block strings instead of skull (since it can be crouched). Still, I don't see the point of the move. It doesn't hit full screen away; so if I'm in a zone war, why wouldn't I use Trance instead? I can see this being useful in the Nightwolf match-up, though.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Thanks! This means we can use it in block strings instead of skull (since it can be crouched). Still, I don't see the point of the move. It doesn't hit full screen away; so if I'm in a zone war, why wouldn't I use Trance instead? I can see this being useful in the Nightwolf match-up, though.
Hit confirm to Sky Drop? *crosses fingers*

Alright now that the hotfix is out, how do you think the faster runes improve Quan Chi? Personally I don't think it helped anything really. Now whenever I do his b+2,1, b+2,1, b+1,1 it's harder to cancel into rune unless they're really close to the ground. I still think he needs more buffs. They should make it so if you hit the ground burst from far or medium range you have time to safe jump or sky drop and they're forced to block it otherwise if they move they get hit by it.

Also you can no longer cancel b+3,1+2 into trance OR skull, which is really stupid.