What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi The quan chi buff thread

These changes seem fair?

• Total voters

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
what pisses me off is the fact that if you've already sent out the bat and get hit it goes away but fucking demo can leave that bomb just sitting there all day long
Let's hope demo the problem child gets some fixing with this new patch.

AeWhole

Noob
Some of the suggestions in this thread really make little sense to me.

When a character is being buffed, it's because they lack something they really need to compete, or need a tool they have to be made even better to reward the player for being good at implementing the tools they do have.

Quan in his current state is completely fine and is in NEED of no changes. Each variation does what it's meant to do, since the changes to trance, you have to spend bar on the super cheap stuff and without it he does a unique job in all 3 variations.

Out of all the characters in this game, Quan is one of the last characters I think we should see being buffed in any degree. IMO.
This is very agreeable and I can't argue with it at all. I would like skydrop to be more reliable though. Everyone else has reliable armors.

Quan Chi Sky Drop will only ever catch people who are snoozing with their controller in their hand or you took advantage of the last hit in that one Predator string. Like Sky Drop is dooky and throws games. I think ShujinkyDink agrees.

Guys, D1 is 6 freakin' frames that if you land it leaves them at minus 3. If I understand frames right that leaves you with 3 frames for Quan to land his next attack. Meaning you can D3 for fun which is like minus 1 on block, throw, or crossover with his phenomenal jump in punch that guarantees a free 50/50. You get options with Quan after a D1 just not ridiculous bullshit.

Like Quan has all the tools he needs to be competitive just stop. Universal armor would be nice but it would also give Warlock armored 50/50 wakeups with one of them leading into ~30% damage midscreen.

Skull doesn't jail into 14 if they're crouch blocking so it's not completely guaranteed. Also for it to be worth the meter imo you need to have 3 bars. 1 for ex trance and the other 2 for the ex skulls. I very rarely find myself with 3 bars in the corner because of my play style. I use ex rune to make my 50/50's safe and for zoning. I don't see using my only 2 bars available for the setup worth it, especially with such bad armour I need it to have a breaker.
(If someone is crouch blocking in the corner and I am plus at all after a S4 say hello to the giant death sword into trance.) My PS4 got stolen so I can't check that but, you should always keep your options open to finding a way to get chip death rune out Ketchup put something out that demonstrated this. You can pretty safely close out a game with that if you have 2 bars left in the corner. I wonder also if the The Tile vortex with summoner can also make the chip rune safe. I haven't tried that.

Last edited:

Meep8345

Noob
F2 to be 12 frames and f212 to be +4
D1 +14 on hit

Maybe these buffs could be too crazy but I don't really play Quan because he kinda lacks a way to play safe meterless. In this game safety is king.

Poshib

The Artman
Guys, D1 is 6 freakin' frames that if you land it leaves them at minus 3. If I understand frames right that leaves you with 3 frames for Quan to land his next attack. Meaning you can D3 for fun which is like minus 1 on block, throw, or crossover with his phenomenal jump in punch that guarantees a free 50/50. You get options with Quan after a D1 just not ridiculous bullshit.
That's cool and all, but D1 being only +3 on hit is still pretty shitty, especially being punishable on block. Jump over punch isn't a viable option after D1 because you're opponent recovers in time to anti-air before you get off the ground good. I know that Quan Chi is a good character on paper, but given the current state of the game he isn't that good. He's a well balanced character in a cheap ass game.

everyone says he has all the tools he needs to compete, or that the variations do what they're "meant to do," but i think looking at it in a vacuum like that is a bit silly.

if you compare his toolset to the other top half of the cast, why would you pick quan over them? is it not true most offer the exact same offensive potential, with a stronger/safer/less meter-dependent neutral/pressure/frame trap game, while generally having far better defensive options?

what tools do quan have that others do not have access to or easy ways to circumvent? the only *real* strength he has over others is zoning, but zoning in this game is generally pretty inconsistent.

and lastly, it shocks me how many of you are fine with sky drop being a useless move by saying "oh, that's what warlock's for." no, in any possible consideration of game design, that is not an acceptable justification for a useless move. if it wasn't intended to have some sort of application, it shouldn't be in the game, but as it currently stands it doesn't really have any practical uses at all. (you give chars 'bad reversals' by giving them long recovery, no comboability, not being cancellable etc. not by outright the move being too bad to ever consider seeing use.)

CrazyFingers

everyone says he has all the tools he needs to compete, or that the variations do what they're "meant to do," but i think looking at it in a vacuum like that is a bit silly.

if you compare his toolset to the other top half of the cast, why would you pick quan over them? is it not true most offer the exact same offensive potential, with a stronger/safer/less meter-dependent neutral/pressure/frame trap game, while generally having far better defensive options?

what tools do quan have that others do not have access to or easy ways to circumvent? the only *real* strength he has over others is zoning, but zoning in this game is generally pretty inconsistent.

and lastly, it shocks me how many of you are fine with sky drop being a useless move by saying "oh, that's what warlock's for." no, in any possible consideration of game design, that is not an acceptable justification for a useless move. if it wasn't intended to have some sort of application, it shouldn't be in the game, but as it currently stands it doesn't really have any practical uses at all. (you give chars 'bad reversals' by giving them long recovery, no comboability, not being cancellable etc. not by outright the move being too bad to ever consider seeing use.)
See Michelangelo placing top 8 at EVO? Yea, the shit he does in those matches should be enough ALONG WITH the bullshit he has on paper. The character is fine and can compete with basically the whole cast.

See Michelangelo placing top 8 at EVO? Yea, the shit he does in those matches should be enough ALONG WITH the bullshit he has on paper. The character is fine and can compete with basically the whole cast.
anyone placing in top 8/16 is not an argument for character balance. a player can have success with a character despite him not being strong. slayer in guilty gear's widely considered one of the weakest chars (with potemkin and ram) yet hase made top 9 at EVO with him - no one suddenly jumped to say slayer's 'strong,' just that hase's good. same for FAB and potemkin, he wins tournaments but no one would dare say potemkin's even in top half of the cast.

so i'd like you to address the points i made instead of redirecting your premise to another player's competitive success.

CrazyFingers

Ok so first we'll touch on "Meter Dependent" Quan chi is not that meter dependent unless we're talking warlock, then yea he's pretty meter dependent but that's worth having the reversal for Quan when he needs it that desperately in some matchups. Next his neutral game is actually quite good, zoning for space control, one of the fastes NJPs in the game, a 6f d1, he can compete with a lot of other characters in a neutral sense. On to frame traps, while the nerfs hit him quite hard in this department, if you want frame traps you still have EX Skull and while you need a gap to make Runes plus, they can still be made plus, so his plus frames are in a good spot. On the "exact same offensive potential" this character has some of the craziest offensive potentials in the entire game, it's why his defense is so trash because one touch is all he needs to kill you. When i was referencing Michelangelo's success i wasnt saying "this guy got top 8, the character is op" im saying "look at the shit this character can do which got him to top 8." I am fully aware that placings doesnt mean strength but you also can't just flat out ignore placings either. And as far as sky drop...yea, that move might need some help but Quan isn't a character we want to be giving good armor outside of Warlock because if we do, we break the character entirely.

Ok so first we'll touch on "Meter Dependent" Quan chi is not that meter dependent unless we're talking warlock, then yea he's pretty meter dependent but that's worth having the reversal for Quan when he needs it that desperately in some matchups. Next his neutral game is actually quite good, zoning for space control, one of the fastes NJPs in the game, a 6f d1, he can compete with a lot of other characters in a neutral sense. On to frame traps, while the nerfs hit him quite hard in this department, if you want frame traps you still have EX Skull and while you need a gap to make Runes plus, they can still be made plus, so his plus frames are in a good spot. On the "exact same offensive potential" this character has some of the craziest offensive potentials in the entire game, it's why his defense is so trash because one touch is all he needs to kill you. When i was referencing Michelangelo's success i wasnt saying "this guy got top 8, the character is op" im saying "look at the shit this character can do which got him to top 8." I am fully aware that placings doesnt mean strength but you also can't just flat out ignore placings either. And as far as sky drop...yea, that move might need some help but Quan isn't a character we want to be giving good armor outside of Warlock because if we do, we break the character entirely.
as i said before, that's not acceptable. he already has a designed reversal skill, it's simply just useless. saying 'he doesn't need it' is *not* acceptable design for something the devs clearly put in a game with a purpose. if "quan is a char we don't want to have good armor" then they shouldn't have giving him EX sky drop in the first place. but it was clearly designed with him intentionally having it, yet everyone just accepts that it's a useless move by design and says 'he doesn't need it anyways.' that is *NOT* acceptable game design.

6f d1 which is only like +3? and minus on block? honestly runes are way too bad if people just learn what to look for to be reasonable frame traps, AND he's meter-dependent on them. especially when you look at other chars.

i played a lot of quan back on pc mkx before the whole debacle, but i genuinely see no reason to play quan over any of at least half the top cast. the only good thing you mentioned really was his njp. his d1 is fast, but it's honestly not great when you look at the data (you get nothing really off of it, and it's punishable on block.)

i don't think his offense is anywhere near stronger than many of the other chars at this point, especially since most aren't *nearly* as meter-dependent on actually doing their mixups (also yes, quan outside of warlock is *heavily* meter-dependent. you just mentioned yourself that if you want to frame trap you need EX skull or EX rune, for instance. he's entirely meter-dependent on stuff other chars do slightly worse than him, but meterless.) that's also even worse for quan because he often has to choose to trade a saved breaker for being able to do one mixup.

The Janitor

Mop Dispensery
Is this a troll thread? Coz I swear y'all are trying to create a monster,lol.

Quan is not a mix character, he's a zoner and should be played as such (a la Michaelangelo who is successful because he plays Quan's core playstyle well).

We should stop asking for buffs so we can play him how we want him to be played (braindead mixing like a lot of the cast) and actually play him the way someone of his archetype should be played. He's a mastermind sorcerer and his technical nuances transfer into the way you must play him, that's a top notch character design (Netherealm actually got balancing a character perfect this time, even though I too was initially butthurt).

Ofcourse right now Alien, Sonya and Mileena render him sometimes pointless to use if you want to actually win but that goes for most of the cast too. Once the top 5 are toned down and the mid-upper tier (which Quan is right now) can compete, he'll actually do well for those who resonate with his play still.

At that point if you still really feel that you're having a tough time using him, it's may not be that you need to git gud or anything (your skill is definately not in question here) but rather maybe a slight shift in mindset might be the key. Stuff like that goes a long way and I'm sure the very elite player in this game and other can attest to that.

Is this a troll thread? Coz I swear y'all are trying to create a monster,lol.

Quan is not a mix character, he's a zoner and should be played as such (a la Michaelangelo who is successful because he plays Quan's core playstyle well).

We should stop asking for buffs so we can play him how we want him to be played (braindead mixing like a lot of the cast) and actually play him the way someone of his archetype should be played. He's a mastermind sorcerer and his technical nuances transfer into the way you must play him, that's a top notch character design (Netherealm actually got balancing a character perfect this time, even though I too was initially butthurt).

Ofcourse right now Alien, Sonya and Mileena render him sometimes pointless to use if you want to actually win but that goes for most of the cast too. Once the top 5 are toned down and the mid-upper tier (which Quan is right now) can compete, he'll actually do well for those who resonate with his play still.

At that point if you still really feel that you're having a tough time using him, it's may not be that you need to git gud or anything (your skill is definately not in question here) but rather maybe a slight shift in mindset might be the key. Stuff like that goes a long way and I'm sure the very elite player in this game and other can attest to that.
i never played quan to play a zoner, though. especially not since i don't think zoning's generally a consistent sole strategy in this game due to the abundant amount of armored gap closers/teleports that can be done on reaction.

i'm not saying me, you, or anyone else are having a tough time with him, i'm saying i don't see any reason to actually pick him over most other chars if i simply look at toolsets. i've got zero character loyalty in this game so i've no interest in sticking with him after he lost what i enjoyed about him, while other chars still have stronger/safer offense/frame traps, less meter dependency, actual reversals, etc. the others offer essentially the same as quan, aside from the zoning, without the drawbacks he suffers. and as i said before, i don't rate zoning very highly in this game in general.

Last edited:

Poshib

The Artman
Quan is good on paper, but on the subject of the games balance he isn't "fine". If you look at all of the S tiers (characters significantly better than Quan) and quite a few other characters, they have superior movement and ways to effectively deal with Quan's attempted zoning.

- Mileena was Telekick
- Ermac has a teleport, flight, hover, and push
- Alien as the craw, pounce, drone drop, jumping acid spray, and long limbs to reach Quan
- Kano has air Kanoball
- Sonya has grenades, the drone, and a divekick
- Dvorah has puddle
- Johnny has shadow kick

Aside from the stuff listed, the characters above all have overwhelming offense. If Quan's only saving grace is zoning in a game where more than a few characters are equip to deal with it, what options left are there for Quan? THIS is where Quan is severely lacking. If Quan can't zone he loses pretty easily. Most of the other characters in game have options aside from what they excel at to compete. Can we be honest and acknowledge that?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
You can't counter Quan's zoning. Rune does 8%, wins trade with everything, knocks down on hit and has instant travel speed, noone can react to rune and throw out some kind of "counter zoning". And all 3 variations have additional tools to use in combination with rune

The Janitor

Mop Dispensery
i never played quan to play a zoner, though. especially not since i don't think zoning's generally a consistent sole strategy in this game due to the abundant amount of armored gap closers/teleports that can be done on reaction.

i'm not saying me, you, or anyone else are having a tough time with him, i'm saying i don't see any reason to actually pick him over most other chars if i simply look at toolsets. i've got zero character loyalty in this game so i've no interest in sticking with him after he lost what i enjoyed about him, while other chars still have stronger/safer offense/frame traps, less meter dependency, actual reversals, etc. the others offer essentially the same as quan, aside from the zoning, without the drawbacks he suffers. and as i said before, i don't rate zoning very highly in this game in general.
So there you have it. You don't like zoning or have loyalty to the character. That's fine and you'll probably have a better time and more fun using someone else.

2 wrongs don't make a right though and I don't think making him broken because every on else is broken is ACTUAL BALANCE. Balance implies variety, equality in that variety and encouragement to make use of that variety. The top 5 need nerfs, I definately think that's the case and if they get toned down those who do enjoy playing quan can have fun and maybe win a bit of money (fingers crossed).

Have fun playing whoever you land on though bro :) good luck.

The Janitor

Mop Dispensery
Quan is good on paper, but on the subject of the games balance he isn't "fine". If you look at all of the S tiers (characters significantly better than Quan) and quite a few other characters, they have superior movement and ways to effectively deal with Quan's attempted zoning.

- Mileena was Telekick
- Ermac has a teleport, flight, hover, and push
- Alien as the craw, pounce, drone drop, jumping acid spray, and long limbs to reach Quan
- Kano has air Kanoball
- Sonya has grenades, the drone, and a divekick
- Dvorah has puddle
- Johnny has shadow kick

Aside from the stuff listed, the characters above all have overwhelming offense. If Quan's only saving grace is zoning in a game where more than a few characters are equip to deal with it, what options left are there for Quan? THIS is where Quan is severely lacking. If Quan can't zone he loses pretty easily. Most of the other characters in game have options aside from what they excel at to compete. Can we be honest and acknowledge that?
All these things are hypotheticals. I play a lot of the characters in that list along with Quan and trust me when I say you can't react to a rune, lol. Sonya's grenades need nerfing (deh,lol), Johnny's shadow kick gives him nothing (and actually hurts his meta in A-list to save stamina while trying to get in so you can run cancel) and by then he's usually eaten more damage than what he gives to you in the shadow kick, Kano ball is hella unsafe and needs you to not be actually Rune-ing for him to jump first (even Instant air EX), Alien is fvcking Alien (you mentioned things he does to all the cast man, we all know he needs nerfs),rune hits Mileena out of her telekick if she tries to react and is full-combo punished if you know how to time you D3 rune after the follow up Sai (although this isn't easy), Ermac is a difficult match-up (sometimes that just happens man, hold it) and in Summoner jump back skull goes over D'vorah's puddle after which you can send in a bat and punish the counter zone attempt with 34%.

NOTE: I'm not saying he wins these match-ups, it's hard to win a lot of them but it's possible. I play all of the characters in that list besides Alien and D'Vorah (but I've played the match ups a lot as well) and he can contest and is tough to deal with using the characters. You basically mentioned the top 7 in the game not mid tiers and I've said previously that that groups needs normalizing (not nerfing to the ground, normalizing).

I gone point by point and put in my 2 cents, please don't derail this thread by saying what I say carries not wait for some reason but rather let's keep the debate points vs points.