What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi The quan chi buff thread

These changes seem fair?

• Total voters

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
d1 being +6 seems fair.
f14 (i assume you meant) being -7 seems like a pointless change.

Sorcerer:
Ex skulls taking away more meter yes, it should takeaway the same as skull.
Ex trance already takes away like 4/5 of a bar... that seems like enough
Ex spells are unneccessary, he doesn't need any huge buffs like that.
Sorcerer is fine as he is, these would be luxury buffs. If anything the chip spell is now the most useless.
I think the chip spell should have a much faster start up, but only do 2x chip damage. But again, not necessary.

Summoner:
3 bats? No.

Warlock:
Doesn't need a 7f low launching armoured reversal.
21u3 would be a cool idea, as standing 2 is 8f that would be a good punish string.
I think f3 should be a hard knockdown

A universal change I would make is to make ex skydrop launch similar to ex skull but higher, just enough to land a trance. Making the slow, unsafe reversal at least a bit rewarding.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
D1 exists simply as a last ditch defensive option, it shouldn't be your go-to poke over D3. If any of his pokes were buffed I'd rather his D4 get some love. Hitbox is janky as hell and is one of the slowest in the game.

Don't really see the point in making F14 less negative. The string overall would still have no logistic use.

Purple EX skull and EX trance draining more meter might be alright.

I don't play Summoner but those ideas are GameFAQ worthy.

Scoop is fine as an armored move, which leads me to believe you're suggesting that buff for another purpose.

It's super late here right now so I'll revisit this thread with my thoughts on what Quan may need tomorrow.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
If any of his pokes were buffed I'd rather his D4 get some love.
His D4 is super useful to do meterless standing resets :p

One example: (on the corner) B3,2,1 ~ NJP ~ S4 ~ S1 ~ 1,4 ~ trance ~ jump back 1 ~ D4

Instead you use EX stab of Warlock to do the reset, you can save your meter doing the meterless standing reset... so, you will use your meter on your 50/50s :p

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Improve the tracking on Sky Drop so that it doesn't whiff on characters like Spectral. Increase the priority on Sky Drop so that when you are coming down from the sky, you can't be thrown out of the move after spending a bar for it.

More plus frames on d1, keep block adv as is.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
General

EX Sky Drop
Keeps exactly the same properties but he can land in three separate locations on screen by holding a direction

Warlock

21F3

Make it special cancellable.

That's it.

I like the idea of bat not disappearing if you have already launched it and got hit. Like all bat attacks as soon as they are initiated become projectiles, separate from Quan.

Aramonde

Noob
FIX FUCKING SKY DROP!!!!!! I always yell at myself when i use it lol. I get hit out all the time. I was once at full screen and the opponent for some reason throws out a string so i use sky drop and get hit by a move in the whiffed string! WTF!!!!!

Here's me after i use sky drop
"FUCK WHY DID YOU DO THAT DUMBASS!!! YOU KNOW THAT MOVE DOESN'T WORK!!! FUCK MEEEE!!!!"

Putting in a string where his leg comes out of the ground to pop up sounds cool.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Okay so going back to what I was alluding to in my previous post. One of the best kept secrets about Quan's problems (and this speaks volumes since Warlock is the best at this anyway) is honestly that he's a pretty shit punisher, and this didn't come about with the XL patch, this has always been a thing. Anything generally -16 or below with knockback is a nightmare to attempt to safely punish without meter.

I wouldn't make EX Scoop faster to remedy this, just improve standing 2's utility exclusively for punishment purposes.

I maintain that Quan now deserves a better non-Warlock wakeup but I think Sky Drop is honestly a lost cause for all the problems it still has even after being buffed. What I would do is give him an EX close rune with a hit of armor that can't be meter burned. It would still be a mediocre wakeup but would at least be mostly reliable.

Speaking of MB rune, it's new properties does give shenanigans that weren't possible before but ultimately still bring about too many inconveniences. I'd rather they'd just revert everything and make the block advantage always +7.

As such, remove the increased damage scaling on rune and put it on Skull instead. Rune conversions are important to all variations, skull is only important to Summoner.

There needs to be a way to get crossover JIPs more reliably post-trance but I don't know how without creating other inadvertent loopholes.

Those are my thoughts on what quality of life changes could help out Quan's base tool set. I don't think he needs anything in the way of cold hard buffs.

His D4 is super useful to do meterless standing resets :p

One example: (on the corner) B3,2,1 ~ NJP ~ S4 ~ S1 ~ 1,4 ~ trance ~ jump back 1 ~ D4

Instead you use EX stab of Warlock to do the reset, you can save your meter doing the meterless standing reset... so, you will use your meter on your 50/50s :p
That's true, except you can also use standing 4 post-trance for more damage and pretty much the same frame advantage.

Arzumis

Noob
Okay so going back to what I was alluding to in my previous post. One of the best kept secrets about Quan's problems (and this speaks volumes since Warlock is the best at this anyway) is honestly that he's a pretty shit punisher, and this didn't come about with the XL patch, this has always been a thing. Anything generally -16 or below with knockback is a nightmare to attempt to safely punish without meter.

I wouldn't make EX Scoop faster to remedy this, just improve standing 2's utility exclusively for punishment purposes.

I maintain that Quan now deserves a better non-Warlock wakeup but I think Sky Drop is honestly a lost cause for all the problems it still has even after being buffed. What I would do is give him an EX close rune with a hit of armor that can't be meter burned. It would still be a mediocre wakeup but would at least be mostly reliable.

Speaking of MB rune, it's new properties does give shenanigans that weren't possible before but ultimately still bring about too many inconveniences. I'd rather they'd just revert everything and make the block advantage always +7.

As such, remove the increased damage scaling on rune and put it on Skull instead. Rune conversions are important to all variations, skull is only important to Summoner.

There needs to be a way to get crossover JIPs more reliably post-trance but I don't know how without creating other inadvertent loopholes.

Those are my thoughts on what quality of life changes could help out Quan's base tool set. I don't think he needs anything in the way of cold hard buffs.

That's true, except you can also use standing 4 post-trance for more damage and pretty much the same frame advantage.
Quan can side switch from every starter. I was trolling about majority of buffs obviously. The only real thing id like is d1 more plus on hit and warlock's scoop to be faster. .I died of laughter when I thought of three bats , i dont even play summoner.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player

I disagree with everything you'v said here. I don't think having a armoured close rune is a good buff. I think it's completely unneccesary. The focus should be on improving the skydrop ex. It has problems with it being slow and unsafe, but I don't really think that needs changing. I think we should just get more reward fro when it does it work. Making it launch similar to ex skull but higher, so you can land a trance after. This would make it worth the risk.
Ex rune doens't need to be +7. It's completely fine and fair and how it is. Use meter to make you're mixups safe, and delay it to be plus. It creates a mind game and is somewhat good. It make rune safer because an opponent might be waiting for the delayed ex and miss their ounish opportunity.
There are ways to get the cross over punch, all you have to do is change your combo to switch sides.

No changes are NEEDED for any of Quans variations. The skydrop change would be a luxury buff. Summoner is completely fine and needs 0 changes.

Sorcerer also doesn't need any changes, but making ex skull drain the same meter as normal skull would be good and makes sense. I think the chip spell should be sped up a lot but only do 2x damage, but that's just a personal preference, some may prefer how it is now.

Warlock 21u3 is a good idea to make it a good punishing string. f3 should be a hardknockdown.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Make instant njp come out in 2 frames.

Make air skull an overhead.

Sky drop 1 hit of armor on the way up and another hit of armor on the way down.

These would really help him become viable again you guys. :DOGE

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Some of the suggestions in this thread really make little sense to me.

When a character is being buffed, it's because they lack something they really need to compete, or need a tool they have to be made even better to reward the player for being good at implementing the tools they do have.

Quan in his current state is completely fine and is in NEED of no changes. Each variation does what it's meant to do, since the changes to trance, you have to spend bar on the super cheap stuff and without it he does a unique job in all 3 variations.

Out of all the characters in this game, Quan is one of the last characters I think we should see being buffed in any degree. IMO.