What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi The quan chi buff thread

These changes seem fair?

• Total voters

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I disagree with everything you'v said here. I don't think having a armoured close rune is a good buff. I think it's completely unneccesary. The focus should be on improving the skydrop ex. It has problems with it being slow and unsafe, but I don't really think that needs changing. I think we should just get more reward fro when it does it work. Making it launch similar to ex skull but higher, so you can land a trance after. This would make it worth the risk.
Ex rune doens't need to be +7. It's completely fine and fair and how it is. Use meter to make you're mixups safe, and delay it to be plus. It creates a mind game and is somewhat good. It make rune safer because an opponent might be waiting for the delayed ex and miss their ounish opportunity.
There are ways to get the cross over punch, all you have to do is change your combo to switch sides.

No changes are NEEDED for any of Quans variations. The skydrop change would be a luxury buff. Summoner is completely fine and needs 0 changes.

Sorcerer also doesn't need any changes, but making ex skull drain the same meter as normal skull would be good and makes sense. I think the chip spell should be sped up a lot but only do 2x damage, but that's just a personal preference, some may prefer how it is now.

Warlock 21u3 is a good idea to make it a good punishing string. f3 should be a hardknockdown.
That's the thing, you aren't ever gonna any reward out of Sky Drop if it does. not. work. Mileena's F3 may lead to some of her highest damage but it doesn't count for much if it never hits anyone. If you want rewarding armor that's literally what Warlock is for.

MB rune is important for much more than making your mixups safe (and for the record this only applies to the overhead).

If you know of ways to cross over JIP from conversions while cornered with no compromises I'd love to hear them.

Warlock's F3 being made a hard knockdown without any other changes would be a nerf. If they tech roll it, you're given even more playing field to work with in zoning. Meterless Scoop was made a hard knockdown previously and was then realized to not be that good of a change since you're left up close with no frame advantage.

STRYKIE

Quan can side switch from every starter. I was trolling about majority of buffs obviously. The only real thing id like is d1 more plus on hit and warlock's scoop to be faster. .I died of laughter when I thought of three bats , i dont even play summoner.
Well, WHY does Warlock need a faster scoop?

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Quan can side switch from every starter. I was trolling about majority of buffs obviously. The only real thing id like is d1 more plus on hit and warlock's scoop to be faster. .I died of laughter when I thought of three bats , i dont even play summoner.
So basically you were trying to waste our time with this being a troll. Very funny.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Some of the suggestions in this thread really make little sense to me.

When a character is being buffed, it's because they lack something they really need to compete, or need a tool they have to be made even better to reward the player for being good at implementing the tools they do have.

Quan in his current state is completely fine and is in NEED of no changes. Each variation does what it's meant to do, since the changes to trance, you have to spend bar on the super cheap stuff and without it he does a unique job in all 3 variations.

Out of all the characters in this game, Quan is one of the last characters I think we should see being buffed in any degree. IMO.
I think Quan is perfectly balanced, any buffs would be purely luxury. I think by any of the top tiers being nerfs this would be a biff to quan.

That's the thing, you aren't ever gonna any reward out of Sky Drop if it does. not. work. Mileena's F3 may lead to some of her highest damage but it doesn't count for much if it never hits anyone. If you want rewarding armor that's literally what Warlock is for.

MB rune is important for much more than making your mixups safe (and for the record this only applies to the overhead).

If you know of ways to cross over JIP from conversions while cornered with no compromises I'd love to hear them.

Warlock's F3 being made a hard knockdown without any other changes would be a nerf. If they tech roll it, you're given even more playing field to work with in zoning. Meterless Scoop was made a hard knockdown previously and was then realized to not be that good of a change since you're left up close with no frame advantage.
It also applies to the low, b13 and b134 are unsafe, ex rune makes them safe.

I made this video a while ago of how to switch sides from his starters, it's not difficult.

Also ex sky drop can be used to interriupt gaps, like shinnoks 1124 for example. It's not good, but you can hit it sometimes, so some reward would be appreciated. Sometimes people thinking quan has no wakeup means it can hit.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

I think Quan is perfectly balanced, any buffs would be purely luxury. I think by any of the top tiers being nerfs this would be a biff to quan.

It also applies to the low, b13 and b134 are unsafe, ex rune makes them safe.

I made this video a while ago of how to switch sides from his starters, it's not difficult.
The low does not at any point jail into rune. In fact, if you commit to the meter burn, most characters can now backdash and whiff punish you for it right there.

I'll give you props for the homework you put into those conversions but they don't really solve anything as far as why you would want to switch sides lol.

colby4898

The low does not at any point jail into rune. In fact, if you commit to the meter burn, most characters can now backdash and whiff punish you for it right there.

I'll give you props for the homework you put into those conversions but they don't really solve anything as far as why you would want to switch sides lol.
What do you mean? You would want to switch sides to put them in the corner...
Also, not many people can backdash and full punish, that has never once happened to me.

I just labbed it with sub-zero, and he can get a slide as a punish if timed right, he can't get a full combo punish. I really dont think many characters can

Last edited:

STRYKIE

What do you mean? You would want to switch sides to put them in the corner...
Also, not many people can backdash and full punish, that has never once happened to me.

I just labbed it with sub-zero, and he can get a slide as a punish if timed right, he can't get a full combo punish. I really dont think many characters can
Sub can punish with F4xxIce Ball. You may have to micro run slightly before you do it.

colby4898

Sub can punish with F4xxIce Ball. You may have to micro run slightly before you do it.
Well it seems pretty tight, none the less, my point is ex rune is used to make the low option safe. Yes there is a gap to be armoured and backdashed (full punish not likely). It is still used for that.
Rune is fine how it is.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
d1 being slightly more plus....I guess that's fine, but I don't want another Kotal d1 for anyone personally. the bat not disappearing if Quan has already sent it and is then hit? fine, seems fair and logical. The 3 bats suggestion is absolutely mad. That would pretty much undo the nerf where he can only get a free bat summon after ex trance, and the 7f armor......c'mon. These are terrible suggestions basically and do nothing to balance the game.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
D1 exists simply as a last ditch defensive option, it shouldn't be your go-to poke over D3. If any of his pokes were buffed I'd rather his D4 get some love. Hitbox is janky as hell and is one of the slowest in the game.
yo his d4 is awesome yo. cancel into ex rune to make your opponent go whaaaaaa

3 bats is outrageous but funny idea

ex skull draining more meter yassssssss

i like the idea of new launcher in warlock as 21F3 is useless and whiffs huge in the corner.

honestly though the biggest change he needs is a hitbox on skydrop coming down. make it size of goro's stomp(just obvs not unblockable)

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
This thread should not exist. The character is fine. Why are we talking about buffing a character that got top 8 at EVO?

AeWhole

Noob
Wo
d1 being +6 seems fair.
f14 (i assume you meant) being -7 seems like a pointless change.

Sorcerer:
Ex skulls taking away more meter yes, it should takeaway the same as skull.
Ex trance already takes away like 4/5 of a bar... that seems like enough
Ex spells are unneccessary, he doesn't need any huge buffs like that.
Sorcerer is fine as he is, these would be luxury buffs. If anything the chip spell is now the most useless.
I think the chip spell should have a much faster start up, but only do 2x chip damage. But again, not necessary.

Summoner:
3 bats? No.

Warlock:
Doesn't need a 7f low launching armoured reversal.
21u3 would be a cool idea, as standing 2 is 8f that would be a good punish string.
I think f3 should be a hard knockdown

A universal change I would make is to make ex skydrop launch similar to ex skull but higher, just enough to land a trance. Making the slow, unsafe reversal at least a bit rewarding.
Whoah bro chip spell is not useless ex skull is still plus 14...

colby4898

Wo

Whoah bro chip spell is not useless ex skull is still plus 14...
Skull doesn't jail into 14 if they're crouch blocking so it's not completely guaranteed. Also for it to be worth the meter imo you need to have 3 bars. 1 for ex trance and the other 2 for the ex skulls. I very rarely find myself with 3 bars in the corner because of my play style. I use ex rune to make my 50/50's safe and for zoning. I don't see using my only 2 bars available for the setup worth it, especially with such bad armour I need it to have a breaker.

Poshib

The Artman
- D1 +5 on hit
- Adjust Skydrop so that it hits on the way down

At this point in the game I feel like Quan is a bit TOO fair now considering the cheap shit a LOT of other characters have and have always had. I personally would like Quan to have safer strings or normals that don't put him at a disadvantage. It really feels like Quan still "can't fight" if that makes sense. Gotta zone, but so many of the better characters have answers to Quan in areas that he can't effectively answer back.

I honestly think players who lose to or complain about Quan now just aren't familiar enough with the matchup.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
- D1 +5 on hit
- Adjust Skydrop so that it hits on the way down

At this point in the game I feel like Quan is a bit TOO fair now considering the cheap shit a LOT of other characters have and have always had. I personally would like Quan to have safer strings or normals that don't put him at a disadvantage. It really feels like Quan still "can't fight" if that makes sense. Gotta zone, but so many of the better characters have answers to Quan in areas that he can't effectively answer back.

I honestly think players who lose to or complain about Quan now just aren't familiar enough with the matchup.
The character still has REAL dirty shit. You think every single person Michelangelo had to mow through at evo to get top 8 "Didn't know the matchup"? That is basically impossible. The character is fine.

Poshib

The Artman
The character still has REAL dirty shit. You think every single person Michelangelo had to mow through at evo to get top 8 "Didn't know the matchup"? That is basically impossible. The character is fine.
That being said, you disagree with D1 and Skydrop being adjusted?

omooba

fear the moobs
what pisses me off is the fact that if you've already sent out the bat and get hit it goes away but fucking demo can leave that bomb just sitting there all day long