What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droogy

Lets Fight Like Gentlemen
How do you start your offense with Hawkgirl? I feel like I can't open up my opponent.
I second Hawkgirl for matchups where my WW is beat hard (Grundy for example). I normally zone and use alot of keep away so i start off with bf2 (her charge) and normally EX it if it hits for a bit of extra damage

fly up, and begin spraying mace everywhere (see what I did there).

also don't forget that her Throw has amazing range and if you can't land combos at least make sure you know her f223 that is a high low string, gets em every time

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
EX mace throw, WE2 and WE3 are all + block so you can start your offense with any of those. d1 and 32 are also useful. It really depends on what you're trying to do and against what character

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Wait you can cross-up WE2? is there a setup off of something (preferably a hard knockdown) or does it happen randomly?

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Wait you can cross-up WE2? is there a setup off of something (preferably a hard knockdown) or does it happen randomly?
Yes you can, though it seems a bit random outside of corner setups. If the opponent is close enough then you can do like d1 we2, it'll crossup, or on wakeup dash we2. Doesn't work 100% of the time midscreen, but you see me do it multiple times in my videos.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Ah i see, yeah I've been noticing alot of Hawkgirl's stuff switches sides or hits at random spots. Idk if its intentional or just wonky shit that happens but it messes me up alot of times coz its so inconsistent..
i'll try to do d1 to WE or a f1 after a WE2/3 but I'll switch sides and whiff a mace throw uplcose and eat a fat combo for it -__-''

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Ah i see, yeah I've been noticing alot of Hawkgirl's stuff switches sides or hits at random spots. Idk if its intentional or just wonky shit that happens but it messes me up alot of times coz its so inconsistent..
i'll try to do d1 to WE or a f1 after a WE2/3 but I'll switch sides and whiff a mace throw uplcose and eat a fat combo for it -__-''
I think it's intentional cause crossups are the only way to open up good players with overheads lol.

Droogy

yea Hawkgirls mix-up potential is amazing I think because of alot of stuff either ending on the other side or my favorite, MB-ing her ATG mace to get in on my opponent with a mix-up, any larger characters especially Bane and Grundy just lie down for a combo or better yet a reset into more keep away after that happens.

AdamWestDLC

Mayor of Quahog
I noticed during flight mode , you cannot use interactibles by pressing light+medium ( 1+2 ) ?
( can anyone confirm this ? )
You must use the assigned button for interactibles instead.
I have my buttons on a stick layed out so the throw and interactibles are not used.
And I just conentrate on 6 buttons and use light+medium ( 1+2 ) for interactibles and light+heavy ( 1+3 ) for throws.

Not being able to use 1+2 ( light+medium ) during flight mode when in reach of interactibles really screws me over sometimes.

Can anyone else confirm this is the case ? Or I'm just messing up my presses ?

I hope they patch this

I have the same problem, in fact I assumed it was impossible to use interactables in flight mode, because I never use the assigned button.

Droogy

I hadn't noticed as i have issues getting the game to register the two buttons for either interactables or throws so I use the interactable button. I will have to look into this as sometimes my street fighter kicks in and I do use them just on the spur of the moment

AdamWestDLC

Mayor of Quahog
I have the same problem, in fact I assumed it was impossible to use interactables in flight mode, because I never use the assigned button.
I assumed this too , until I saw somebody else throw an interactible during flight in an online match ( which is rare ocassion to see tespecially because Hawkgirl is so underplayed) , so I just figured it out after that. ( after I've never been able to do it myself since I don't use the assigned button either )

At first I thought you just had to unfly and quickly use the object before dropping to the ground . But that wouldn't explain why the button prompt appears during flight mode.

So yeah , somebody seemed to have overlooked this when keeping us us stick users in mind . But it's probably gone pretty much unnoticed because not many people use hawkgirl. And maybe even less use hawkgirl with a stick too.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Had no problems with interactables during flight, heck I made a video about it:

I use a stick and use r1 to interact and l1 to throw.

Also these boards are getting deader and deader lol...

AdamWestDLC

Mayor of Quahog
Had no problems with interactables during flight, heck I made a video about it:

I use a stick and use r1 to interact and l1 to throw.

Also these boards are getting deader and deader lol...
No you misunderstand. But then again probably I didn't explain it clearly.

The problem doesn't come from using a stick. It was just an example , because I assume most stick users wouldn't use the assigned buttons for throw/interact on the stick. And I expect them to place those assigned buttons on the uncomfortable 7th and 8th buttons on modern arcade sticks and be unused.

The problem is if you use light+medium attack (2 buttons ) to use enviromentals instead of the assigned button. ( In your case the assigned button is R1 )

During flight mode it seems you cannot press light+medium attack to use an interactible. You must use the assigned interact button instead.

I dunno if it's just 360 or on PS3 too.

Try using light+medium attack for using objects without flight mode( and not R1 ) . Now go into flight and use light+medium on an interactible. Does it work ? But R1 will still work for some reason. But not light+medium method .

Let me know the results, as I am trying to see if it's the same for other people and get others to recognise this problem. Because it probably is not well known.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Videos coming of HG vs a really good Ares that sadly had not much knowledge about her, he still manages to hold his own though. It also showcases LOTS of rushdown from me, because zoning Ares is a terrible idea. I also show some random setups lol.
did anybody update the game yet? if so, is Shayera still the same?
Absolutely nothing changed.

No you misunderstand. But then again probably I didn't explain it clearly.

The problem doesn't come from using a stick. It was just an example , because I assume most stick users wouldn't use the assigned buttons for throw/interact on the stick. And I expect them to place those assigned buttons on the uncomfortable 7th and 8th buttons on modern arcade sticks and be unused.

The problem is if you use light+medium attack (2 buttons ) to use enviromentals instead of the assigned button. ( In your case the assigned button is R1 )

During flight mode it seems you cannot press light+medium attack to use an interactible. You must use the assigned interact button instead.

I dunno if it's just 360 or on PS3 too.

Try using light+medium attack for using objects without flight mode( and not R1 ) . Now go into flight and use light+medium on an interactible. Does it work ? But R1 will still work for some reason. But not light+medium method .

Let me know the results, as I am trying to see if it's the same for other people and get others to recognise this problem. Because it probably is not well known.
Wow. I just assumed you could not do interactables while in flight mode. I play on a stick and use 1+2 to activate it. That makes no sense to have to press the interactable button. Definitely needs to be fixed...

Espio

Kokomo
There are two strings I'm really liking that I think are really important to Hawkgirl's game that I don't really see utilized yet, but they're actually really good in my opinion. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts/input :).

2, 2, Up 3- This string is awesome because not only does it have an overhead, it's safe on block and is listed as having frame advantage. 2,2, up 3 also causes Hawkgirl to cross up the opponent safely with this string, which means it can be used for positional advantage (i.e. getting out of the corner and putting your opponent in the corner to start up your own corner game/pressure or to flee and go back to spacing/zoning your opponent out.

3,2, Back 1- I haven’t really used this string, but upon looking at it in training, this string is really good because it’s a decent ranged mid hitting string, which covers one of her problems, which is T-Rex esque range and a lot of her highs on some of her more commonly used normals/strings, it’s plus on block and does almost 20% damage (17%).

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I use both of those quite often for the knockback, depends on what character I'm fighting though. Some characters benefit too much from being fullscreen vs HG (like Sinestro and Cyborg).

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
You also forgot to mention f11, which has probably the longest hitstun of this game. I'm serious, it's like +130 on hit lol.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Just curious, but does anyone here do d+1 into the background interactable?

I found it really useful after doing a few overheads. It leads into easy 33% or more and the timing on the moves is pretty lenient.

Does hawkgirl have any weakness on getting off the ground? im finding it tricky to lay any sort of pressure on her when i knock her down, her wakeups seem to be safe on block and whenever i neutral jump or jump over her on wakeup the backflip attack catches me out of the air, i haven't been in the lab against her yet though mind, just going by the matches ive had against a few players.

is there anything i can do against her wakeups or am i just being a bit of an idiot?
Who do you use? Crossups will beat her mace charge I believe. Also you can MB b3 if you're fighting a MC wake up happy HG and then make them eat a big combo.

not completely sure about the invincibility frames of MC but non wakeup MC's get beat by fireballs clean.

while her good strings, start high.

she still has B2 mix ups, that you must respect if she successfully hits you with D1. (because it hit's mid and hits before the opponent can attack (assuming the D1 hit them).

Also if you're always ducking, your opening yourself up to MB f3. And it's not like her meter is much important for any of her other specials, most of them are just tacted on added damage. So she won't be afraid to use MB F3.
I disagree completely with this statement.... I am constantly using MB for her mace toss.... a ground MB mace toss is pretty much 95% safe half screen shoulder charge, which can get you in to start WE pressure. I also MB her air mace alot as this is another great way to close the distance, but is pretty unsafe if you whiff, but the dive part is safe on block... I think you should be using MB mace toss to close the distance as soon as possible

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I'm pretty damn sure that her MB air mace toss charge is not safe, I've been punished enough times for that to know its not. the ground one is + on block i believe.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
I'm pretty damn sure that her MB air mace toss charge is not safe, I've been punished enough times for that to know its not. the ground one is + on block i believe.
It's not safe, but if done at the right height it's not punishable either. ground MB mace toss definitely is + on block though lol.

It's not safe, but if done at the right height it's not punishable either. ground MB mace toss definitely is + on block though lol.
Ah, my mistake. It's still a great tool to get around. I'll have to play around with it and see how punishable it actually is then, b/c I've never been punished in a match that I can recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.