What's new

The Official Souls Forum (Demon/DS1/DS2)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You can very rarely parry anything on reaction. It's like 90% prediction, 5% reaction and 5% luck. But there's very easy ways to bait an attack, aka a set-up parry.

Also, you can cancel the running R1 attack if you roll in the first few frames of the move. Same with any attack, but it's so good on the running R1's especially from the Kitanas.
You can parry every greatsword, spear, club, great club, ultra greatsword and some other classes on reaction.

Why would you ever do running R1 into roll with a katana?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You can parry every greatsword, spear, club, great club, ultra greatsword and some other classes on reaction.

Why would you ever do running R1 into roll with a katana?
I meant fast weapons, lol. Running R1 cancel into roll to bait rolls or parries, or other things. It works surprisingly well actually. As long as you don't abuse it, people have been falling for it ever since I started doing it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I meant fast weapons, lol. Running R1 cancel into roll to bait rolls or parries, or other things. It works surprisingly well actually. As long as you don't abuse it, people have been falling for it ever since I started doing it.
You get a much better result and a combo if you're running and reacting to a roll/parry with the running R1 then stunlocking to hell.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Soooo...you can Parry cancel into Backstep to make it safe. Everyone is flipping out.

The fight at 1:30 shows it. You still have to be good to know when to land Parries but to be able to make it 100% safe with high AGI seems a bit crazy.

Also @AK Juggs there's no point in level capping in DKS 2 since matchmaking is done from SM. As long as your accumulating souls you're going to be pushed into brackets beyond where'd you be at naturally at SL 150. So you'd eventually stop being matched with natural SL 150's and be facing people your equivalent SM with much higher stats. So ultimately, all you really do is give yourself a handicap.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Rumors and screenshots going around today about a spiritual sequel to Demons Souls, currently called Project Beast.
It's being co developed by FROM and Sony Japan Studio, and obviously exclusive to PS4.

Apparently there are Shotguns.

I still haven't even gotten around to DKS2 yet.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Also @AK Juggs there's no point in level capping in DKS 2 since matchmaking is done from SM. As long as your accumulating souls you're going to be pushed into brackets beyond where'd you be at naturally at SL 150. So you'd eventually stop being matched with natural SL 150's and be facing people your equivalent SM with much higher stats. So ultimately, all you really do is give yourself a handicap.
I know, but the competitive community is capping it anyway. I have one character I'm leaving around 150-60 just in case they fix it. Aside from that though, I'm not capping it. The "handicap" is put in place so you can't have everything, you have to make sacrifices and have specific builds. I realize that SL doesn't matter, but people will still cap it at 150 eventhough they'll be at a disadvantage.

Rumors and screenshots going around today about a spiritual sequel to Demons Souls, currently called Project Beast.
It's being co developed by FROM and Sony Japan Studio, and obviously exclusive to PS4.

Apparently there are Shotguns.

I still haven't even gotten around to DKS2 yet.
Well Fromsoft just got bought by Kadokawa. So potentially future Souls games can be bigger and longer. It could also mean a lot of other shit, but I'm optimistic, lol.

You get a much better result and a combo if you're running and reacting to a roll/parry with the running R1 then stunlocking to hell.
Well yeah obviously. But if they're doing nothing and waiting to parry or roll the running R1, you can bait their counter then counter their counter. Normal players, aka the scrubs, you don't need to do high level shit like this, you can just spam running R1's and spam R1/L1's in general and you'll be successful. You don't need strategy or misdirection for nubcakes, lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well yeah obviously. But if they're doing nothing and waiting to parry or roll the running R1, you can bait their counter then counter their counter. Normal players, aka the scrubs, you don't need to do high level shit like this, you can just spam running R1's and spam R1/L1's in general and you'll be successful. You don't need strategy or misdirection for nubcakes, lol.
I generally don't run into noobs, most people I see take advantage of washing pole's vertical hitbox and rolling the R1s. Extremely annoying when you're facing faster weapons.

There's 3 basic scenarios when it comes to pressuring with a katana

Blocking
Rolling
Parrying

If they block and you've a buff then you'll chip them, if they have no shield then they will either roll or parry.

Delaying a running attack beats both rolling and parrying and lands you a combo anyway, roll attacks from katanas are mainly used to punish something you can roll through. The same function existed with the DES greataxe and it was the main attack of the weapon, only because it had below average moves otherwise.

If they roll into you then you must stop short and manually swing their way. After a 2 hit combo, people will always roll away, an instant running R1 will force them to roll twice because you catch them at the end of the roll due to them recovering faster, therefore if they don't wanna get hit they must roll once out of the combo and once again to avoid the running R1.

the katana's normal attacks are mediocre, not even scrubs will get hit, what it basically breaks down to is

Running R1 - Poke, main fishing tool for damage.

Roll R1 - punishing badly spaced large weapon attacks and up close whiffs that you know they'll roll out of, in which case the running R1 will only hit at the tip and won't grant a combo but a roll R1 will.

Backdash R1 - whiff punishing tool, mindgame when opponent swings a large weapon ( 90% of your backdashes will be vs large weapons ), they must roll or backdash immediately or get hit by the backdash R1 which further depletes their already much needed and spent stamina.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
So this is speculation and I just found out about it a few min ago. From Soft is working on a title that is likely a Sony exclusive called Project Beast. The below vid is by good ole ENB, many think it might be a sequel to Demon Souls, which is a possibility since there has been a high demand for the game and the original Souls director was working on another project that wasn't announced at the time, which is why DS2 was done by another director. Well speculate away folks...

LEGEND

YES!
i know its only a few screen shots and text, but i really dig the style.

and ya if its PS4 exclusive i'd definitely buy one

TheSpore

Well I'm glad I did decide to be an early adopter for PS4, so I'm set. I've been waiting for PS4 to start getting games, right now it just collects dust because there really is no must have game right now. I have Thief and it sux, 2nd Son is good, but between IGAU and AE practice and DS2, my 360 & S3 gets more play. Anyway for all we know it may even be a whole different souls game based on something very different than DemSoul. Judging by the pics though it looks like it takes lace in a more 17 to 1800 era, is very dark and gothic, and it hints at being very much Souls related, since on pic is of a white fog gate.

I do plan to get an X1 down the road when they start to drop its price.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If it's exclusive to PS4 this game just convinced me to buy one.
I think it'd have to be a PS4 exclusive. If it is indeed a sucessor or even a sequal to Demon Souls, that is. This would definitely be a system seller, I'd 100% get a PS4 just for one game if that game is a Souls game.

I just hope that they try to make a complete RPG this time around. Really add in everything to make this an all around solid game and experience. Meaning, put more effort into story telling and the story line in general. Now, I prefer gameplay over everything. If the graphics suck, story is shit, etc but the gameplay is good, I'm a happy camper. But one of the things I feel is missing from Souls games is that immersion factor that a game like Skyrim has. Skyrim may not have the best gameplay, but the story telling and atmosphere kept me playing that game for far longer than the gameplay was actually worth. As I said, I'm not saying story should be a priority, not at all. Just don't omit it and treat it like a legit feature instead of just a bonus.

Imagine a Souls game with storylike aspects of a TES game. Total immersion from the gameplay, to the atmosphere and storyline is something that really no game has been able to perfect. The Souls series and TES games are so close that they really should take some lessons from one another.

Also, I'd love more legit secrets and legit hard bosses. I could go on about those two aspects alone, let's just say Dark Souls 2 is way more straight forward and easy than it should have been, imo.

TheSpore

I think it'd have to be a PS4 exclusive. If it is indeed a sucessor or even a sequal to Demon Souls, that is. This would definitely be a system seller, I'd 100% get a PS4 just for one game if that game is a Souls game.

I just hope that they try to make a complete RPG this time around. Really add in everything to make this an all around solid game and experience. Meaning, put more effort into story telling and the story line in general. Now, I prefer gameplay over everything. If the graphics suck, story is shit, etc but the gameplay is good, I'm a happy camper. But one of the things I feel is missing from Souls games is that immersion factor that a game like Skyrim has. Skyrim may not have the best gameplay, but the story telling and atmosphere kept me playing that game for far longer than the gameplay was actually worth. As I said, I'm not saying story should be a priority, not at all. Just don't omit it and treat it like a legit feature instead of just a bonus.

Imagine a Souls game with storylike aspects of a TES game. Total immersion from the gameplay, to the atmosphere and storyline is something that really no game has been able to perfect. The Souls series and TES games are so close that they really should take some lessons from one another.

Also, I'd love more legit secrets and legit hard bosses. I could go on about those two aspects alone, let's just say Dark Souls 2 is way more straight forward and easy than it should have been, imo.
DS2 was the intro to the insanity a Souls game can bring for the Noobs. I agree that the storytelling is and can very obscure, but it is much better than having tons of QTEs and cut scenes. The whole point of DemSouls and DS1 was that you had to unearth what the world was about and why you were there and what your role in the world is. DS2 though is a good game definitely misses the mark in story and IMO just doesn't really leave much to be explored and speculated on. DS is still being discussed and speculated as far as its lore goes.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
DS2 was the intro to the insanity a Souls game can bring for the Noobs. I agree that the storytelling is and can very obscure, but it is much better than having tons of QTEs and cut scenes. The whole point of DemSouls and DS1 was that you had to unearth what the world was about and why you were there and what your role in the world is. DS2 though is a good game definitely misses the mark in story and IMO just doesn't really leave much to be explored and speculated on. DS is still being discussed and speculated as far as its lore goes.
Honestly, they could solve the problem just by littering the game with "books" like Skyrim did. A lot of the books didn't really pertain to the main storyline, but that's what made them so good. It gave you more of an atmosphere and all around story of the entire Skyrim world. Also, there should be way more cutscenes in Souls games, even if they're just for boss fights, just sayin.

TheSpore

Honestly, they could solve the problem just by littering the game with "books" like Skyrim did. A lot of the books didn't really pertain to the main storyline, but that's what made them so good. It gave you more of an atmosphere and all around story of the entire Skyrim world. Also, there should be way more cutscenes in Souls games, even if they're just for boss fights, just sayin.
Boss fights yeh give me an epic introduction to the baddass thats gonna likely beat me down a billion times before I finally get them. Some story driven scenes would be ok, but thats one thing I truly admire about a Souls game, you are almost always in control of the character regardless of who you are talking to or what is happening around you. I understand your point with Skyrim and yeah some people that were hardcore enough read every book they came across in the game, quite literally those books were really freaking long too, but your average gamer is not going to sit and read books within the game, it works well for ES games, but it just doesn't seem to work as well IMO in a Souls game, where the games biggest focus has always been on the gameplay, rather than the fluff. Now I've delved more into the lore to DS2 and there is a bit more than what I realized, but its just not as rich of lore as its predecessor.

One thing I can say is the location of Sun bro covenant is in all honesty, the full confirmation the players needed to say that Drainleic literally is built on the remains of Lordan. If you pop in DS1 and look at the broken statue and observe the its placement andhow it is broken in the exact same way. Now granted that can be chalked up to developer laziness, but also observe area around it, the area still has the same shape and nearly the same things, it literally is a copy and pastes of the original location of the covenant, except they took the time show that time has passed and that it is now buried under the ground. So in a nutshell, you could likely say that Earthen Peak is now sitting on top of the Undead Burg, which makes a lot of sense, considering the Undead Burg rest on top of Blight Town, which what was Blight Town, the poisonous area of the game and Earthen Peak, as well Windmill tower you enete is nothing, but poison and likely the poison itself is being brought from underneath the ground to fuel and feed the Baleful Queen.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The parry cancel has got to go. Especially when the Monetary Scimitar exists. Parries are a risk/reward mechanic. You risk not timing the parry correctly and get punished accordingly. And obviously the reward is a riposte that is usually a 1 hit KO, or at least massive damage. The parry cancel allows you to go for infinite parry attempts with virtually no risk. There's ways to beat it, but the only consistent thing you can do is use a projectile. This is a glitch, and it needs to disappear.

Also, just some info I recently came across. Apparently there's 51 tiers of SM. And the last tier is 15,000,001 SM. Meaning SM caps there. So after 15mil, your SM no longer matters as far as PvP is concerned. So yeah, definitely ZERO reason to cap your SL at 150, b/c eventually all you'll be facing is 500+ SL players. WE already knew SM was ass, this is just the nail in the coffin.

LEGEND

YES!
i agree with the Monastery Scimitar being broken for sure. I honestly thought i was getting read like a book by all the people using it before i tried it for myself and found you can parry 90% of attacks on reaction, ridiculous

i still keep all of my characters at 120-150 though. The point of a community established cap is to keep builds more varied and interesting

Bigger problem than soul ranges are: Roll/backstep parries, Santier's spear, Jester's chestpiece, Batstaff+ dark fog, broken scaling, broken buffs that don't scale allowing you to spice them down to minimum requirements ect ect. I wouldn't really have a problem dealing with the 838 havel mages if the real fights between people near the same level weren't so broken, seriously, the GMB + Buff meta absolutely ruins the majority of builds you could possibly make.
-
on a side note, i don't think all the infinites/combos are a bad thing, alot of them don't work on counter hits and they require alot of stamina to actually kill someone (assuming fixed scaling and not accounting for buffs). It also evens out the damage disparity between physical weapons and magics, and i don't see how you'd be able to kill anyone abusing the parry cancels without making 10x as many correct reads as them without the combos

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
i agree with the Monastery Scimitar being broken for sure. I honestly thought i was getting read like a book by all the people using it before i tried it for myself and found you can parry 90% of attacks on reaction, ridiculous

i still keep all of my characters at 120-150 though. The point of a community established cap is to keep builds more varied and interesting

Bigger problem than soul ranges are: Roll/backstep parries, Santier's spear, Jester's chestpiece, Batstaff+ dark fog, broken scaling, broken buffs that don't scale allowing you to spice them down to minimum requirements ect ect. I wouldn't really have a problem dealing with the 838 havel mages if the real fights between people near the same level weren't so broken, seriously, the GMB + Buff meta absolutely ruins the majority of builds you could possibly make.
-
on a side note, i don't think all the infinites/combos are a bad thing, alot of them don't work on counter hits and they require alot of stamina to actually kill someone (assuming fixed scaling and not accounting for buffs). It also evens out the damage disparity between physical weapons and magics, and i don't see how you'd be able to kill anyone abusing the parry cancels without making 10x as many correct reads as them without the combos
Agree with everything here, except capping at 150. I completely understand why some in the community are capping, but that's just a small minority. I have my SL150 character just waiting for me if they fix SM among many other things. But until then, no level capping for me. I've faced almost no one below SL200 aside from a small portion in the arena. Invading or getting invaded, always against a high level opponent.

Like I said before, jesters chest piece is OP as fuck. I've faced countless santier spear players with all havels except their chest piece were jesters. Spin to win and r1 spam for days with very little risk.

And you didn't even mention lagvelyns. Mundane dual lagvelyns are the worst shit ever...

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
hey guys i've had this tech for a bit that's really good but i'm not sure if it's known or exclusive to soul greatsword.
when you cast soul greatsword and roll cancel it at the correct timing(it's pretty strict) it'll still come out during the roll so you can be invincible and attacking at the same time. not sure if you need a high cast speed but i did use the clear bluestone+2 when testing this out.

LEGEND

YES!
hey guys i've had this tech for a bit that's really good but i'm not sure if it's known or exclusive to soul greatsword.
when you cast soul greatsword and roll cancel it at the correct timing(it's pretty strict) it'll still come out during the roll so you can be invincible and attacking at the same time. not sure if you need a high cast speed but i did use the clear bluestone+2 when testing this out.
i've been practicing this lately. very good stuff

this and the fact that you can use Soul Greatsword to catch rolls makes it by far my favorite sorcery (also good for punishing parries on a read, and without as much risk as a lunge attack)
Agree with everything here, except capping at 150. I completely understand why some in the community are capping, but that's just a small minority. I have my SL150 character just waiting for me if they fix SM among many other things. But until then, no level capping for me. I've faced almost no one below SL200 aside from a small portion in the arena. Invading or getting invaded, always against a high level opponent.

Like I said before, jesters chest piece is OP as fuck. I've faced countless santier spear players with all havels except their chest piece were jesters. Spin to win and r1 spam for days with very little risk.

And you didn't even mention lagvelyns. Mundane dual lagvelyns are the worst shit ever...
I dont really have a problem with Avelyns unless they are combined with other things. Avelyns combined with Jesters chest and havel armor is op as fuck, but just dual avelyns and regular armor or single avelyns are not a problem at all 1v1

Avelyns in a gank fight are ridiculous, but you cant very well complain about anything when you are invading

and of course healing in the arena is broke.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Man, getting some of the rare items in this game is kinda retarded. Take the Mad Warrior set for instance. There's a red phantom NPC that spawns in the Iron Keep Belfry Tower that drops all 4 armor pieces and 1 weapon. However, the odds are ridiculous considering the set isn't even that good. First of all, you have to be in the Bell covenant for him to even spawn. And then, he only spawns 10% of the time. Meaning everytime you sit at the bonfire, he has a 1/10 chance of spawning. So, when he does spawn, time to get excited right? Nope, he also has a 1/10 chance of actually dropping anything. So not only is it a 10% chance of him spawning, it's also a 10% chance he will even drop anything. So when he finally does drop something, now we can finally get excited right? Wrong, you now have a 1/5 chance he'll drop what you need him to drop. Since he can drop the same items over and over, he can potentially keep dropping his guantlets over and over, for instance. So, it's a 10% chance he'll spawn, a 10% chance he'll drop something, and a 20% chance he'll drop what you want him to.

AND... you have to do all of this while trying not to get invaded. Since this is a covenant area, the PvP traffic is pretty high. Because it's not just the Bell Bro's invading, it's also Blues and Reds.

I mean, why is barely above average armor and weapons so hard to get? When the most broken amor, Havels, only requires you to kill 2 NPC's? I love the fact that there's rare armor and weapons, there needs to be A LOT more than there is. But the better the armor or weapon is, the harder it should be to get, not the other way around.

Anyway.... /rant

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Samurai playthrough is fun as hell. I don't even have 3 of my armor pieces I'm gonna use either. Finally got the Berserker Blade, after about 3 and a half hours. And it's not that great really, it seems much slower than other Katanas, and the damage doesn't seem great. Oh well, got the Mad Warrior Mask, Gauntlets, and Chest piece too, which is cool. Now just need Drangleic Helm, Agdayne Armor, and still deciding on the rest. Might try Llewellyn armor, or Bone King, not sure.

Fashion souls > min/max souls.

SZSR

Noob
So I've been playing Dark Souls 1 and this happened:

After I beat the Taurus demon and talk to Solare, I say:

"Oh look another unassuming bridge, nothing could go wrong."

My brother says: "Oh, looks like your only enemies are Undead, it's fine"

I go "Oh okay!"

And then the dragon comes down.

SZSR

Noob
I have a question for you guys, i'm trying to upgrade my Scimitar +2 into a Scimitar+3 but it says I have insufficient materials despite having 2 titanite shards out of 1 needed.

What's going on with this?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I have a question for you guys, i'm trying to upgrade my Scimitar +2 into a Scimitar+3 but it says I have insufficient materials despite having 2 titanite shards out of 1 needed.

What's going on with this?
Is the picture of the weapon showing up grayed out? I haven't played the game in over a month but maybe you're reading the required/how much you have backwards?

Also, in other news guys: we have some footage for PROJECT BEAST. I'm sure we'll see more at E3.