What's new

The Official MKXL Complain/Rant Thread

You guys do understand, liu Kangs f213 fb cancel is approx. + 10, and his ex kick is plus 14 so as soon as he touches me I have 0 options, he builds so much meter I have to avoid him the entire game with certain chars because their armor is too slow or I die iI can't even counter poke them but they never even have to poke.

I only win because my zoning is beyond unfair, it's literally nigh impossible for either char to do anything. Who give an advancing full screen mid frame adv for 1 bar to the poin you can't escape

I paid $100 for my PS4 copy (Yes, I'm a pony), but I had it come for X1 through GF because I have friends who are Xboners. I've compared both games on and offline and I feel like PS4 plays better on and offline, and it looks better too (I know I'm going to piss some boners off lol). This game is Wonderful offline both on PS4 and X1. Online, this game is a piece of shit. It almost totally ruins the game for me as I see no fun in playing against the A.I except for practice. I have data were I made a scale (1-5), grading the lag on both X1 and PS4. I won't go through all of the data, but surprisingly, I've come across many matches where 2 yellow ping bars indicated more lag throughout the match than all gray. I'm sure at this point NRS can do little to improve the online play for this game but we as consumers have to expect more. I'm sure NRS wants to deliver the best product possible. I hope that in the future, more attention is put into online, and by attention, I mean money. That is all.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
You guys do understand, liu Kangs f213 fb cancel is approx. + 10, and his ex kick is plus 14 so as soon as he touches me I have 0 options, he builds so much meter I have to avoid him the entire game with certain chars because their armor is too slow or I die iI can't even counter poke them but they never even have to poke.

I only win because my zoning is beyond unfair, it's literally nigh impossible for either char to do anything. Who give an advancing full screen mid frame adv for 1 bar to the poin you can't escape

Just want to correct some misinformation. They "fixed" the block semi-infinite. Ex bicycle is 0 on block now. Test it in training.

Back to your whining.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Way too late for this. Sorry but its not like changing the kind of tires on a car. You code your netcode into your fighter you code it DEEP. Its less like if you have bad teeth and replace them with dentures that work better and more like if you have nerve damage; you can't replace a nervous system because its tied to everything else that interacts with it. Netcode is like the nervous system .It is highly unlikely they can just swap out the entire system ever. They can only really work to improve upon the stability of what they have now.
While it's true that it's too late to change something as integrated as netcode, and the best we can hope for is to tone down the seriously absurd nput lag and terrible matchmaking, it's kind of a misconception. GGPO was designed to be bolt-on netcode, and developers honestly overstate how difficult it is to implement.

MKX is a bit of an exception to this since it doesn't seem to use a standard 2d game engine (hitboxes drawn over the models) and instead uses a 3d style per polygon hit detection. (or it feels that way with all the character specific whiffs/juggles) But any game using the Street Fighter/KOF/KI standard 2d hitbox interactions can add GGPO at almost no cost. (This is why it was implemented in Vampire Savior/SF2HDR/SF3SOE/etc) It would have been super easy to put in MK Kollection but that was a horrible nightmare that sucked so.

Remember GGPO was designed as a fan thing to just easily let you play classic fighters online. Also Skullgirls, which has the best implementation of GGPO, is a game made by a tiny studio for 5 platforms. So don't go saying it's only doable on single console games. NRS has more people working on doing sweat effects on Cassie's Uniboob than the entire Skullgirls or KI teams.

The real reason that some games have it and this one doesn't is due to the developers priorities. Remember that KI and Skullgirls both had lead designers who were tournament players. Kiets/Mike Z. For this reason the games were made from the ground up with tournament play as the priority. Notice how few extraneous modes those games have, sure it's partially due to their small teams, but it's also due to the fact that their their priority is a game that can be played online and offline at a high level.

Mortal Kombat X and (Until very very recently) Smash Bros are on the opposite end of the spectrum. They are first and foremost games aimed at a casual audience. They are full of "fun" extra modes. They have deliberately non competitive features, they spend much more time on things like story modes or single player content. While they have tournament modes and in the past few years the developers acknowledged them, the entire game isn't focused on high level play.

In this type of game online play that replicates offline play simply isn't a priority. For low and even low-mid level players the game is about pushing buttons, getting in single hits, jumping around and fatalities. Frame perfect punishment, optimized combos, even anti-air and reaction blocking are not something they care about. For these players 10 frames of input lag, while it might feel a little unresponsive, is basically invisible.

These are the players who are defending the online on forums and in reviews, because to them the game plays the same offline and online. If you aren't using strings and just mashing out special moves and d2 the game is perfectly fine online. Most of the time your special moves come out an d2 is practically a safe poke in this online cesspool.

Also in the community for this game they outnumber tourament players 100 to 1. So why cater to us? More costumes, more guest characters, more fatalities. Nerf things that feel bad to casuals online like Kano 2.0 and leave things that are high execution but destructive. (Like Kabal) It's crappy but we are not the real target audience.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Way too late for this. Sorry but its not like changing the kind of tires on a car. You code your netcode into your fighter you code it DEEP. Its less like if you have bad teeth and replace them with dentures that work better and more like if you have nerve damage; you can't replace a nervous system because its tied to everything else that interacts with it. Netcode is like the nervous system .It is highly unlikely they can just swap out the entire system ever. They can only really work to improve upon the stability of what they have now.
They can't even fix for a futur addon ? (like umk3)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
What would be ironic is if as a result of being toned down for the older systems, the old-gen releases end up playing better online than the new.

... :coffee:.

Peter Quill

You’re No Fun
Tym aka come online an bitch about things I don't like about the game.

just play the game, if you don't like it, play something else
Kinda hard when online is a pretty big deal for most people on this site, like me, who need online to actually fight people of equal or greater skill level. Without it, the game has almost no lifespan to speak of. You can only do single player so many times before you die of boredom...

I think the netkode handles good connections fine enough. Granted, I would much rather it handle even mediocre connections well so I could comfortably go into ranked matches and know my experience will be good- but I can deal with it by limiting myself to searching for good connections in rooms:

I realize for people in sparsely populated areas, this isn't an option, which is why I do wish the netkode was better.

But yeah, the weakness of MKX's netkode isn't that good connections don't result in good gameplay, it's that it doesn't offer what rollback code does- the ability to make even bad connections perfectly playable.

As of now, I've played around 200 matches unranked, and not a single match of ranked, and that's how it will stay.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I've played over 200 matches online so far on PS4, and I honestly don't understand what you guys are complaining about regarding netcode. I can only recall one single match where I had noticeable input lag. And it was bad, like probably a good whole second of lag. It was so weird... I've never felt that before. But I quit after the first match with that guy, and never had a problem with anyone else. I was even trying to pay closer attention after that, but just ended up being surprised at how responsive it was.

I only play in rooms, and I try not to play anyone with two yellow bars or one red bar. Although I did play a yellow last night expecting it to suck, and somehow it still worked perfectly. There was one slight hiccup during the match, but it was not during either of our combos, and there was no noticeable input lag.

Not sure what I'm missing here...

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Kinda hard when online is a pretty big deal for most people on this site, like me, who need online to actually fight people of equal or greater skill level. Without it, the game has almost no lifespan to speak of. You can only do single player so many times before you die of boredom...
yeah, I know online is big for a lot of people, but bitching does nothing about it lol. Add people from Tym, find someone that has a playable connection and invite them to games, do anything but make threads about how you don't like online

honestly, I think the online it descent. is it like you're playing offline? no, but most fighting games aren't. at least it's playable unlike mk9 and injustice. I have potato internet and i can manage lol

also, go to your local match making thread. if you find some people who are half way normal to play with, you'll be super happy :)

This is a message for Netherrealm studios if anyone here can actually reach them. The online experience is the worst of any fighting game of this AND past gen. USF4 has better connection than this on my Xbox one. 95% of my games online have 0.5-1 second delay. Unplayable unless I get a friend in the same city

Here's my internet info: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4318727246