What's new

The New Variations/Balance Adjustment Hype and Discussion Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Let's go!

Seems like a lot of these have pretty drastically different playstyles to the originals (Lao's new 3rd variation, for example). I'm curious to see what people do with them. I'm thinking that Liu Kang will still be pretty great, but maybe slightly less oppressive. He's still got his zoning, his f4 will still juggle you out of the air no matter where you are, he's still got his +3 shenanigans etc.

Stuff like the changes to Jax's fatal blow is exactly what needs to happen. There should be obvious counterplay and they should be super punishable if you don't make the right read. I still think they shouldn't come back on whiff or block, but maybe in a future patch.

Jacqui's 3rd variation sounds awesome.

To everybody who wanted Shang's ninja's, they can now go ham.

Now before any Raiden players connect the dots and freak out; I'm predicting a change to Jo Push where if the staff is planted via Lightning Rod Raiden will be able to still use Lighting Bolt instead of just losing an entire move.

JeffX

Remove armor on fatal blows now
Now before any Raiden players connect the dots and freak out; I'm predicting a change to Jo Push where if the staff is planted via Lightning Rod Raiden will be able to still use Lighting Bolt instead of just losing an entire move.
They already said it doesn't replace bolt anymore. It replaces another move. So you'll always have reflect off the staff. He'll still be low tier considering all of the other stuff everyone else got. If he gets decreased negative frames off lighting strike and f122 then we're talking.

Toruko61

Noob
well dunno about liu kang. did they take the low or oh of nunchaku stance and replaced it with kusari slam or does the stance have all three now?
hopefully the kusari slam will have its input also changed. cancelling into stance and then pressing cmd grab command would suck a bit.

DTruth

Noob
I just thought about it... they said 2 other Totems for Kotal. I swear if damage totem isnt on him he will stay trash.

Jax FB change missed the mark imo. Changed nothing about what makes it so busted.

Super curious to see if they modified amplified sund disk move to make it actually usable.

Will have to wait for more patch notes but if they did nothing else to Liu than make F4 11 frames then potato boy got away with murder

They already said it doesn't replace bolt anymore. It replaces another move. So you'll always have reflect off the staff. He'll still be low tier considering all of the other stuff everyone else got. If he gets decreased negative frames off lighting strike and f122 then we're talking.
Oh I see, I missed the comment about it not replacing bolt. Interesting.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Nice to see that they're still making adjustments to krypt stuff and towers too, even though I don't really spend much time in them.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Wait... when is the patch 1) supposed to drop and 2) have its notes posted? I've read different things that it would be posted later today, and from my experience last time it was posted and done the same day right?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
They're not coming out until the patch drops from what I understand.
No ETA? :(
I'm actually happy with most of these new variations. Kabal got what I wanted, Liu Kang is gonna be crazy, Jacqui has fullscreen combos into 40%+, Kollector moved up tiers, Kitana actually has combos.

I just wanna see the full thing and the frame data changes. Happy for everyone though.

E

Eldriken

Guys. The notes aren't available yet.

You could have hit up Google instead of posting here. Come on.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Wait... when is the patch 1) supposed to drop and 2) have its notes posted? I've read different things that it would be posted later today, and from my experience last time it was posted and done the same day right?
Guessing the patch is Tuesday, because they're almost always on Tuesday. But Tyler said to watch Twitter for the notes before then.