What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm not a Kung Jin bandwagon guy. I picked him within the first 24 hours of having the game. I gotta say I'm just not convinced I like him and I'm starting to find him boring. I cant get over this character crisis and it sucks.

I really feel like when Predator comes out, I'm just going to say fuck it and main him because I love Predator. I don't even care if he's shit tier. I'll just go ham with him.

Not sure how much this relates, but I played Batman, Batgirl, and Deathstroke in injustice (casually), but I liked playing all of their styles...are there are characters that are similar in MKX?

Looking for a tertiary. Currently tinkering with Ermac and Reptile and I like them. Shinnok is also cool.
I am particularly vacillating between Sub-Zero, Takeda, and Kenshi. State the pros and cons of each character, especially how they play. I gave you my list of current characters because I want to present an idea of what kind of characters I like to play, with Reptile being a loyalist character so he's an exception.

Last edited:

FluffyKittenPops

#ONTHERISE
It's 4 weeks in, and I still can't get a firm grasp of this game. I've played pretty much every character. And I feel like I either suck at the game.. or.. I'm just doing something wrong. I play lao. And I get mopped up every now and then. It's so frustrating. I guess I don't know how to adapt to this game. My fundamentals.. are bad. (Punishing.. etc.) I don't know what to do.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
It's 4 weeks in, and I still can't get a firm grasp of this game. I've played pretty much every character. And I feel like I either suck at the game.. or.. I'm just doing something wrong. I play lao. And I get mopped up every now and then. It's so frustrating. I guess I don't know how to adapt to this game. My fundamentals.. are bad. (Punishing.. etc.) I don't know what to do.
the best way to learn fundamentals and get better is to choose a character you have fun playing or a character you like. doesnt matter how good or bad they are. just find one character and stick with them, getting good takes a lot of time hell im still going through that process

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Join the club, I've been playing KevoDaMan alot recently, we became friends during MK9's hayday and he has an EXCELLENT understanding of the game and has helped me out considerably with this MK. Obviously I'm no where near as knowledgeable or skilled as he is (I kid you not, he is AMAZING with about 8 different characters) but if you have a mic i'll grind out matches with you and tell you everything I know.

FluffyKittenPops

#ONTHERISE
the best way to learn fundamentals and get better is to choose a character you have fun playing or a character you like. doesnt matter how good or bad they are. just find one character and stick with them, getting good takes a lot of time hell im still going through that process
It's just hard when you want to be amazing. I suck with frame data and knowing what I can punish and what to do in situations. It's so aggrivating.

FluffyKittenPops

#ONTHERISE
Join the club, I've been playing KevoDaMan alot recently, we became friend during MK9's hayday and he has an EXCELLENT understanding of the game and has helped me out considerably with this MK. Obviously I'm no where near as knowledgeable or skilled as he is (I kid you not, he is AMAZING with about 8 different characters) but if you have a mic i'll grind out matches with you and tell you everything I know.
Thanks man. I'm down. Add me : Fluffykittenpops on psn.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Play Sub Zero. Outside of the fact that this appears to be disingenuous bias, his variations are easy to get a grasp on and give you options for just about every adversary. And Tom's Subby guide is probably the most detailed one we have for any character in MKX. The Sub Zero forums are a .......cool bunch of guys

and everyone is really...... chill.

So asking questions won't be met with the resentment and vitriol you come to expect from other ninjas.

Join the Lin Kuei. It will be the best decision you've ever made.

FluffyKittenPops

#ONTHERISE
Play Sub Zero. Outside of the fact that this appears to be disingenuous bias, his variations are easy to get a grasp on and give you options for just about every adversary. And Tom's Subby guide is probably the most detailed one we have for any character in MKX. The Sub Zero forums are a .......cool bunch of guys

So asking questions won't be met with the resentment and vitriol you come to expect from other ninjas.

Well shit. That post is very intriguing, I love the stupid pun you added too. Lol and I hate subzero players. I'm just bad and need to improve in alot of areas. I need guidance. I can't just read something and be good.. I need someone to explain in detail what I'm doing wrong and what I need to be doing

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I hate subzero players.
You lack conviction
Pick Scorpion just to spite @Rickyraws for those puns
I will freeze your soul.

Brother, is that you?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Play Kano. He is everything you could ask for in a character. Strong space control and zoning in Cyber, pressure and footsies in Cutthroat with a little 50/50, and big damage tick throws, solid oki pressure, and read based play with his parries in Commando.

Kano is love.
Kano is life.

FluffyKittenPops

#ONTHERISE
Play Kano. He is everything you could ask for in a character. Strong space control and zoning in Cyber, pressure and footsies in Cutthroat with a little 50/50, and big damage tick throws, solid oki pressure, and read based play with his parries in Commando.

Kano is love.
Kano is life.
Thing is idk how to space or play footsies. I don't know any of that. I think I know but I really dont.. and that's where I struggle.