What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Axysial

Owner of the Fuckboy Emporium
Personally, I think characters such as Inferno Scorpion and Grandmaster Sub-Zero are pretty simple to get a grasp of. While they obviously aren't braindead characters, they teach you things about the game while having simple to understand fundamentals. Inferno Scorpion can help you understand the 50/50 vortex that this game is all about, and Grandmaster Sub Zero can help you learn spacing control and simple run combos (242 > Run > F4, 2 > Slide). Sub zero also has an excellent guide by Tom Brady on the sub character forum to easily get you in line with the character.

If you're looking for something like Zod, Summoner Quan is the closest thing, but I don't think he's quite as simple as these two.

madDog

Noob
If you need more info to help me narrow my choice down a bit, please ask, dont know what more to say...

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
If you want fast paced characters. Sonya is pretty fast. I came in this thread wanting to say reptile but then I read your post

Will try liu kang, tnx for the suggestion.
Liu is definitely one of the faster male characters but don't expect easy victories. Most people seem to want to block low vs Liu b/c of his f44. You will be surprised how often you can land an overhead lol. I can literally spam b2 because they are so terrified of being hit with f44 into a 40% combo. Also, db2 is your best friend when you are first starting with Liu. Makes everything safe usually lol.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
First of all, welcome in the community man!
I would say: try out Kung Jin, he is "noob-friendly" since his combo's are kinda easy to learn. (I mean no disrespect by saying this)
He has easy big combo's, nice 50/50 options, amazing range, play him untill you have a better global knowlegde of the game mecanics.
He will alow you to develop a good level in no time

First post and I'll help you. Some superman dude on youtube has a nice breakdown of all characters. They're about 8 mins per video and helped me out.
I wanted to stray from usual character ( scorpion ect)
I play cassie ... She's fast, has couple easy overhead and low combos. Negative... She requires you too practice running a lot to make her efficient. Which is challenging but now becoming fun with my old man mind muscle memory again. Hollywood version... She's pretty hot and I love her words pre fight.

I play takeda: shir rai ( whatever scorpion clan version) ...
Fast and kinda slow also. Slow cause he has range with retractables. Again I mix couple east quick attacks low to the overhead. He likes using EX version of his moves to chain some fairly easy combos. They take a bit as many do... But practice and they come smoothly.

Jaqui. To "zone" with auto gun

Kung Jin... Is very easy! And cool! May be nerfed!? Idk... He has range with bojitsu staff. To follow easy combos.

If you want a challenge and easy but top tier character... KUNG JIN. Bojitsu !
You can jump kick... (Connect)... Then immediately press down b (d4).. Which hits again with pop up... Then press db3. It's like 6 hits for good damage that you can ex and learn more from.

Hope this helps!
I'm waiting for dlc TREMOR n Jason! ...n predator!
Hopefully noob saibot or more Lin kuei characters come!

madDog

Noob
Wow the topic took of a lot better than expected, tnx for all the suggestions. Lets say i pic liu kang for my main. Who do you think would be a good second character too learn ?

I know i said i don`t like to zone that much, but i think for my second char, it would be good to learn someone that has good zoning capabilites, just so i know how to defend against that type of player better. Any suggestions ?

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
@OP just go Kung Jin (Bojutsu) Variation for week or 2.
He doesn't need any hard execution and had good 50/50 , combos and stuff.
After you learn his combos and s**t u can be free to pick / test a different character that is a little bit more complex (if you want).
I gave this tip to few people already and 1 of them is irl friend and it worked for them well.
GL

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I'm actually quite impressed how TYM handles posts like this, considering the saline saturation of just about every other thread. Gj guys

J1gabyte

Noob
Liu is definitely one of the faster male characters but don't expect easy victories. Most people seem to want to block low vs Liu b/c of his f44. You will be surprised how often you can land an overhead lol. I can literally spam b2 because they are so terrified of being hit with f44 into a 40% combo. Also, db2 is your best friend when you are first starting with Liu. Makes everything safe usually lol.
it's funny seeing you use the word "spam" after you jumped on some other dude for saying that in another thread a couple days ago. you said:

"Spamming is not a thing other than an excuse bad players use to make themselves feel better because they are unable to escape a repetitive sequence.

I never expected to see the word "Spammer" on TYM. Oh well."

sorry, not trying to be a dick. i just had to blow you up for that, because that other dude was just looking for help and a bunch of people jumped all over him for using the word spam.

it's funny seeing you use the word "spam" after you jumped on some other dude for saying that in another thread a couple days ago. you said:

"Spamming is not a thing other than an excuse bad players use to make themselves feel better because they are unable to escape a repetitive sequence.

I never expected to see the word "Spammer" on TYM. Oh well."

sorry, not trying to be a dick. i just had to blow you up for that, because that other dude was just looking for help and a bunch of people jumped all over him for using the word spam.
In this context it has a completely different connotation. When he said spam, he was using it as a way to discredit the person he played against, when I used it I literally meant "throw it out without being punished". But I get your point.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Merged all these ridiculous threads together. This thread is the one place to discuss this outside of profile posts. All other made will be closed & sent to burn in the NetherRealm.

Anyone got a good character to recommend if I want to eventually move on to other fighting games such as SF4 and Skullgirls? I'm still pretty new but from what I've read that would mean a heavier emphasis on defense and footsies than you traditionally see in MK.

I'm thinking something like Kano?

Hey guys

I've really only played MK9 and older ones (1,2, etc) casually. My copy of MKX is on its way though, and I'm super pumped. In the mean time, I've been watching character breakdowns, combo guides, etc in hopes of finding a character that would seem cool to try to main.

I'd optimally like a less used character, but that would still be worth putting time into to become competitive with. I know there aren't official tiers since the game is so new, but if people could help me figure out the most competitive underplayed character that would be a good investment that would be awesome as I'd really like to become competitive and am willing to put the time and work in. However if such characters don't really exist, I wouldn't mind just playing something top tier even if it means that everyone else is playing that character too. I look forward to gathering info from and participating in the TYM forums. Thanks!

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Just play who you like it usually works out better when you do that.

Else just play Kung Jin and you should be reking people in no time!

Definitely; I plan to try out a lot of characters before settling on anything. I guess a better question would be, are there any characters that are just downright bad or not worth spending time on competitively? Or is it truly all preference? I understand that a good player can carry a character, but are there not characters that are inherently better than others overall? Total n00b question I know, but its something I've been thinking on.

chores

bad at things
Definitely; I plan to try out a lot of characters before settling on anything. I guess a better question would be, are there any characters that are just downright bad or not worth spending time on competitively? Or is it truly all preference? I understand that a good player can carry a character, but are there not characters that are inherently better than others overall? Total n00b question I know, but its something I've been thinking on.
hard to say this early. kung jin, raiden, scorp, sonya, cassie, erron black, subzero, jax are the name i see the most for top tier. kitana, mileena, and shinnok seem to be towards the bottom. just pick somene that you like. the game will be patched multiple times in the coming year so the balance will all change

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Nobody knows right now I'd say. Like literally there are some characters/variations that hardly anybody is playing. I really don't think there are any just absolutely trash tier characters though honestly.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
Go to the Character Select Screen and pick what u like or think it's cool , check the forums for starter combos or somekind of guide that shows your best basic tools and if you don't like it go to the next.
Trust me IT WORKS!

Of course, I forgot about patches. I've never stuck with a fighting game for long enough to notice. I appreciate the input guys!

Last edited: