What's new

The name of the next MK game

x MAD AXES x

Lighten up will ya!
Was mk9 story mode canon, if so doesn't that mean the only characters left are Raiden, Sonya and Johnny cage XD.

Can't be MK2. 'cause MK9 covered MK1-3. MKX would be good because X = 10. But I think they'd just go for something like MK: <insert story-related subtitle here>.
This is true only insofar as the original storyline, but as far as the reboot it's the sequel to the rebooted MORTAL KOMBAT. it's not officially called MORTAL KOMBAT IX (or 9), so it makes more sense to have the name be a sequel to the name of this game.
If it's a true reboot then at some point they will need to reference this being its own series and its own body of work.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Was mk9 story mode canon, if so doesn't that mean the only characters left are Raiden, Sonya and Johnny cage XD.
Well when you bring the whole Nether Realm thing it allows them to bring the dead characters back in a variety of ways, hell Cage was dead after 2 and he still came back they always come back.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Of the good guys.

Only a few bad guys died. Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung, Sindel, and Motaro, with Noob Saibot still up in the air(considering Scorpion went through the same thing and didn't die.) So a lot of the villains might return and we could see some MK4/3D era characters as well as new characters altogether.

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
before answering that question i think you would need to answer why Ultimate Mortal Kombat? it's not obvious why they would call a sequel that.
I mean they called one of their games UMK3.

MK2 is name that's already been used. MK has been used already before but they were rebooting a franchise.
If I was some random on the street who read UMK, I'd think it was a sequel for the MK that came out in 2011.

Of the good guys.

Only a few bad guys died. Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung, Sindel, and Motaro, with Noob Saibot still up in the air(considering Scorpion went through the same thing and didn't die.) So a lot of the villains might return and we could see some MK4/3D era characters as well as new characters altogether.
There might still be neather-versions of the good guys that died like how sub-zero became noob saibot, etc. remember that they didnt just die, but quan chi controls their souls. now just imagine kabal with a noob teleport >:|

I mean they called one of their games UMK3.

MK2 is name that's already been used. MK has been used already before but they were rebooting a franchise.
If I was some random on the street who read UMK, I'd think it was a sequel for the MK that came out in 2011.
umk3 isnt a sequel to mk3, it's a patch. it's like sf ssf ssfae ssfae(year) superdupersfae(2)patchx(year), etc

RYX

BIG PUSHER
There might still be neather-versions of the good guys that died like how sub-zero became noob saibot, etc. remember that they didnt just die, but quan chi controls their souls. now just imagine kabal with a noob teleport >:|
i'd rather imagine him like ghost rider, just fire coming out of the holes in his mask

and lots of fire effects when he NDCs the shit out of you

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Mortal Kombat X honestly sounds legitimate. I can see the bloody X in the background much like the MKDA boxart has a V in the background