What's new

The MK11 New Meta and Gameplay Info Thread

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
The way the "ex" ing moves was described (rapid press of some arbitrary button after the initial special input) seemed very janky and extremely unnecessary
It was, it wasn’t like BF2 made you double tap 2. You had to figure out the button for each individual special, I don’t know what they were thinking with that

Sent from my iPad using Test Your Might

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Dont know if it was asked before, but is the block button back? And how the dashes work? Like MKX or MK9?
Block button is back. Dashing is a whole new ballgame, as the dashes seem to be shorter than any of the previous games and walking seems to be the preferred mobility option.

A lot of scrubs and new players will be trying it out and playing terribly and translating that into stream hate and twitter hate.
Ain’t nothin’ new Jynks.. Ain’t nothin’ new.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
The hosts had a ton more energy.. but the "streamer show matches" were fucking bullshit compared to the pro matches in the US. I mean seriously were we supposed to know them? Why didn't they get actual EU pros?
Agree, they could take K&M, Foxy, Madzin, Nivek etc.
They did play Ketchup vs. Mustard and Foxy vs. Mitsuownes. And imo those matches were significantly better than the US exhibitions. Seemed like people just had more time with the game.

Armor specials are gone?
Not gone entirey but drastically reduced in quantity. It’s not like MKX.

Ger187

Noob
Block button is back. Dashing is a whole new ballgame, as the dashes seem to be shorter than any of the previous games and walking seems to be the preferred mobility option.
Thanks for youre answer. But if walking is the better moving option why then even dash? Or what is the benifit from dashing forward if you cant cancel in anything? I dont get it

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Thanks for youre answer. But if walking is the better moving option why then even dash? Or what is the benifit from dashing forward if you cant cancel in anything? I dont get it
You haven’t been able to cancel dashes for the last 3 games. Dashing is just a faster movement option, but (from early impressions) it looked like chaining dashes together wasn’t super effective and so most people just opted to walk and jump or single-dash occasionally.

It looked like you can kind of cancel a dash early in MK11, but that it doesn’t travel very far, so not very useful for closing the distance.

But it’s early gameplay, all of this is secondhand info, etc. New game metas are always awkward until people figure out how to play most efficiently.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m stoked that... “certain” players are heated about what they saw. They’re visibly upset and nervous that the game seems to be more focused on fundamentals, footsies, zoning, etc. I can already see them raging after being out footsied and complaining that it’s “too hard to get in”.

Welcome to the thunderdome folks!

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
The walk speed was a bit slow amd jumps seem floaty. Does anybody else agree
Just watching it looked like Underwater Kombat. I loved the fast pace of MKX but understand it wasn’t for everyone. I wouldn’t mind if they made it feel a little more like MK9. Maybe speed the game up just a smidge.

Ger187

Noob
You haven’t been able to cancel dashes for the last 3 games. Dashing is just a faster movement option, but (from early impressions) it looked like chaining dashes together wasn’t super effective and so most people just opted to walk and jump or single-dash occasionally.

It looked like you can kind of cancel a dash early in MK11, but that it doesn’t travel very far, so not very useful for closing the distance.

But it’s early gameplay, all of this is secondhand info, etc. New game metas are always awkward until people figure out how to play most efficiently.
Okay i see it but couldn't you dash in MK9 press buttons during dashing forward and in MKX you have to wait till the dash is finished and afterwards you could press buttons?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Okay i see it but couldn't you dash in MK9 press buttons during dashing forward and in MKX you have to wait till the dash is finished and afterwards you could press buttons?
MKX, Injustice, and Injustice 2

Just watching it looked like Underwater Kombat. I loved the fast pace of MKX but understand it wasn’t for everyone. I wouldn’t mind if they made it feel a little more like MK9. Maybe speed the game up just a smidge.
Watch the EU stream

It was, it wasn’t like BF2 made you double tap 2. You had to figure out the button for each individual special, I don’t know what they were thinking with that
I really hope they clean this up before release. Considering they try to be so casual friendly, i find it odd they're making EX moves with different buttons for each one. I understand where they're coming from, to make the move more intuitive in how it's done, but it does seem more complexity for no great gain.

Like Boon mentioned in an interview, it should be about choosing the right move at the right time, not who has the best finger dexterity to pull off a 10hit button contortionism. I really hope they come to their senses with this. Move + Block probably didn't make sense but it just works. If not that, then move + hold the button, or move + 1+2 or 3+4.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So is there a universal parry mechanic now?

Sent from my SM-J337T using Tapatalk
There's a perfect block which can be meter burned into a parry-like punish. It's more like similar perfect guard/just guard/just defend mechanics in other games though, not like traditional MK parries which you can just leave out there with active frames and bait someone into.