What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

Premonitionist

Call Me Premo - Mileena, D'Vorah, Cassie, Kitana.
Definitely sticking with Ravenous simply because I like the moves the best. The chain throws are just too stylish.
I like all the variations so I can't decide on which is my favorite, those chain grabs are very stylish though :)

Last edited:

Premonitionist

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I like all the variations so I can't decide on which is my favorite, those chain grabs are very stylish though :)
I was practicing with Piercing earlier today, but it just doesn't feel as good as Ravenous for me. That, and I'm going to miss my Early Lunch Brutality too much.

On a more serious note, do you guys see Mileena as being a "one variation only" character in the near future? I'm having a difficult time currently seeing any really good uses for switching variations depending on the opponent right now.

Premonitionist

I was practicing with Piercing earlier today, but it just doesn't feel as good as Ravenous for me. That, and I'm going to miss my Early Lunch Brutality too much.

On a more serious note, do you guys see Mileena as being a "one variation only" character in the near future? I'm having a difficult time currently seeing any really good uses for switching variations depending on the opponent right now.
As of now I think the variations are just which one you prefer over the other. Even further on down the road with Mileena I think that it will be which one you prefer more. I guess only time will tell though.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I Played the ESL MKX Pro League practice tournament #3 today and used Mileena <3 . There's some decent stuff in here but there was a little bit of input lag so naturally there was some dropped combos and missed punishes. Oh yea I finished 1st by the way, check it out.

Congratulations on your win, some good patience in that match

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me

Hopefully not but it is possible, we will find out eventually.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I've gone through her normals, but finding combos are a pain right now that are past 29%. Competitively, honestly, I don't see myself using that overhead f3. Why is it meaningful to use it?

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Competitively, honestly, I don't see myself using that overhead f3. Why is it meaningful to use it?
I've already completely disregarded the existence of that move. Too slow for a meaty. Too slow for neutral. I guess it's useful for anything -34 and below.

nahoYi

Noob
So what characters in the game do you guys think are really strong so far?

I say Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Kitana are up there.

I've already completely disregarded the existence of that move. Too slow for a meaty. Too slow for neutral. I guess it's useful for anything -34 and below.
Say you end whatever string you prefer with roll njp throw a few times. Then mb the throw and cancel then proceed with f3 full combo. The stun may give you enough time to pull it off. Maybe theyll react slow aswell from being used to watching the throw animation. High risk high reward maybe.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Lol. The throw cancel f3 full combo has worked for me a number of times.
I can also beat people with pure counter uppercuts. I'm just saying it's just a bad habit since it would fair poorly against someone who knows what they're doing.

Rapid99

Resident Mileena Researcher
Lol. The throw cancel f3 full combo has worked for me a number of times.
I think it's more that meter burn into POSSIBLY landing a very slow overhead starter is just not that ideal in any situation, you're quite literally just hoping that your opponent doesn't snuff you out of it on reaction.

It may work for now, but as people get better at the game you're almost certainly going to be punished for throwing out f3 unless by some uncanny twist of fate you're guaranteed to hit it.

Better to leave those habits behind and work with alternatives, that way when people do get good enough to punish it on reaction every time - you won't even be using it anymore.

I can also beat people with pure counter uppercuts. I'm just saying it's just a bad habit since it would fair poorly against someone who knows what they're doing.
I dont see how it would be a bad habit. Maybe i need to test it more. Id say a bad habit would be wakeup roll everytime you get knocked down. Its definitely not something you could abuse though, i'll give you that. I think it might be useful , right situation, right circumstance.

I think it's more that meter burn into POSSIBLY landing a very slow overhead starter is just not that ideal in any situation, you're quite literally just hoping that your opponent doesn't snuff you out of it on reaction.

It may work for now, but as people get better at the game you're almost certainly going to be punished for throwing out f3 unless by some uncanny twist of fate you're guaranteed to hit it.

Better to leave those habits behind and work with alternatives, that way when people do get good enough to punish it on reaction every time - you won't even be using it anymore.
Doesnt the throw cancel stagger them for a few frames?

nahoYi

Noob
I think Flawless's tech can work down the line later on in the game, if he conditions someone well enough.

Remember that some early game tech eventually starts to suck, then after a while becomes useful again, during a rare instance, where nobody would expect such an old tactic.

Why are people knock a strategy they have yet to try themselves?

Honestly guys I think Mileena needs a buff. I've been a Mileena main since MK2 and in this game she can not open people as easy as everyone else. It seems really hard to get damage with her because you can practically just low block her. This leaves you with two options. MB roll or f3. One is practical at high level, the other isn't. The problem is the one that is practical needs meter. I think she needs a couple of things. A faster overhead. Maybe her u4 like the coombo ender 2,1,u4 as a stand alone move. It does not need to pop up like MK9. It can have the same properties and just be a faster overhead than f3 with an un-techable knockdown. Scorpion has this. Scorpion also has a much faster overhead opener than mileena's f3. Mileena's advantage is a confirmable overhead, but 32 frames is ridiculous. Making her roll low will only change her slightly as I said just block low to begin with but at least two more strings have a mix up. Last but not least maybe make f4,4 cancellable into air sai just for more damage options. Give me one at a time to make sure she can be balanced, starting with a faster overhead option. Other characters just have more options and damage without a Y.O.L.O. play style. She wasn't great in MK9 (lower mid to mid), but I think she was better than she is now.

PS she also needs her MB ethreal TP's to actually do something different allow her to dash cancel them and give them armor to hits and throws and make them slightly faster. Another option I thought of is make her f1,2 overhead. She just needs something other than MB roll and a 32 frame f3 to make people respect defense and stand to block. My final option is keep everything the same and allow u4 in 2,1u4 to pop up like u4 did in mk9.

Last edited:

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
I'll post this here now, but I'm in the process of uploading matchup based vids and proof to everything i say pretty soon.

Right now, I'm fairly certain bad matchups for her Quan Chi, Kung Lao, and Raiden for sure right now...
They all can beat most of her options on reaction.

In the process of getting videos to prove my points, so i'll be posting them soon.