What's new

Match Footage The match EVERYONE wants to see.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Damn. I really admire Tetra's patience and footsies. Counterpoking was great too as well as cross-up defense. Shows how good he is.

Khaotik, just looked like you got out-classed in the spacing and footsie realm and ran to Sonya armor in hopes to make up for it lol. A bitter lesson learned maybe.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Don't worry xKhaoTikx, I almost lost to a Jade player new to our local scene at a tournament in Grand Finals. He put me into losers and I was down two games then came back to win 6 straight for the bracket reset and took it convincingly. At the time, I didn't know the matchup (I thought I did, boy was I wrong lol) and had to adapt on the fly.

It is not easy when you don't know the matchup, even against a fish character.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Mannnnnn lol.

I have to get this off my chest because I'm actually getting a Tad bit emo now lol. NEC was my second major I've ever attended, ECT being the first, which was back in the summer, so I'm not used to this whole tourney thing. After being sent to losers by riu, I was severely mind fucked. So many emotions and thoughts were effecting me. Even tho I've only been to one other major outside NEC, and a few locals out in VA, I'm used to placing top4, so when I got to losers in pools so quickly, I panicked, and the only thing I could think about was making it out of pool. I won my next two matches with ease, and my next opponent was tetra. I slept on him hard, and paid the price for it. After losing with kitana, I panicked heavily and the only thing I could think about was armor, hence why I went to Sonya. Bad idea on my part.

I'm not used to this whole tournament thing yet. I'm still a online player at heart lol. Me being nervous, being in losers, the hype I had to live up to, being recorded, being watched, etc, all of those factors took a toll on me and sent me into a crazy mindfuck. I'm sure with more tournies I attend in the future, I can learn to not let those factors affect me so much.

With that being said, I know I let a lot of people down, and I apologize. I just simply ask for you guys to not give up on me just yet. Yes, I fucked up, but try to understand where I'm coming from. Idk which tournament I'm going to next, but its either going to be FR or WB. All I ask is for you guys to give me one more chance to live up to the hype. I PROMISE I wont let you down.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Okay, I've watched the video twice now and am going to be honest with what I say. Before starting on this, please note that I am aware of the stream station lag that the players complained about at NEC, so it may have had some effect on how these fights went, but only you and Tetra can confirm that.

The first match, Kitana vs. Baraka:

There were a couple of times where you attempted to punish a blocked Blade Charge using Kitana's f2 1 and it got blocked. Do not try that ever again, instead punish with 2 1 Fan Lift. Depending on the spacing, the Blade Charge's recovery time on block will vary, and besides that...Kitana's f2 has great reach, but is not exactly the fastest move and therefore not the most reliable punisher. Keep that in mind next time.

It became painfully apparent from watching this that you have not played a Baraka which specializes in great spacing and defense. You weren't watching for his d4, which has the same length as Sonya's and therefore can prove annoying. The threat of the Blade Charge helps Baraka to control spacing, kind of like how Raiden's superman can do so as well. As far as trading projectiles goes, you need to get your instant air-fans lower than they were in this fight, you can beat out Baraka's trade and recover fast enough to block his as long as you don't throw your fan after the Blade Spark comes out.

The second match, Sonya vs. Baraka:

After the first round of this fight finished, I narrowed my eyes and thought, "Tetra has gotten inside his head." Your rushdown was a tad disorganized and without thought. You allowed him to punish your whiffed divekicks which you threw out to make up for the times you jumped in - do NOT do that if the distance of your jump is insufficient. Contrary to what some believe, the recovery of Sonya's Arc Kick and divekick on whiff is not all that impressive, she is still susceptible to whiff punishes.

This match-up is so in Sonya's favor, it's not even funny. 7-3, actually. You don't need to play the projectile game with him, in my opinion...and speaking of the projectiles, WHY did you try to trade with him when you had so little health left?! A cardinal rule of trading is that if even one more projectile will end you, stop throwing them out for good and just carefully work your way in. Doing otherwise is just asking to give up the round.

Another thing. You threw some rings while within attacking distance of Baraka. You know that the purpose of projectiles is to attack from afar, not up-close. At such a close range, Sonya's rings leave her at negative on block more so than a large amount of her attacks...I believe -9 would be it. I'll need to recheck. Bottom line, learn to utilize her rings better.

Baraka's Blade Charge is a threat on spacing, but so is Sonya's shoulder charge from her Military Stance. Why have you not used it? This is another reason Baraka loses the match-up: both characters share this threat, but her charge is safe on block. Also, abuse her stance mix-ups more, I don't think Baraka is really equipped to deal with that at all.

In general:

From this point on, don't bother trying to counter cross-ups with d1 anymore. It is not worth the risk of eating a combo just because your d1 failed, this has happened too many times. From this point on, use armored moves or uppercuts (depending on your character), or just jumpkick or dash out. You will get your chance to punish the opponent for a mistake in time, no fight ever goes by without errors in a player's judgment.

I see that Baraka's b1 overhead took you by surprise so many times that it cost you the series. Tetra utilized this tool so well as part of his spacing, and his mix-ups were on point. Don't let Baraka bait you out, you want it to be the other way around. Don't just throw out the divekick blindly, use it as a threat to ensure safe jump-ins and a guaranteed blockstring into stance mix-up, all while making sure you're at the range to do so. If it whiffs right next to them, you can get pummeled in a manner just like what was demonstrated here...and don't get me started on what happens if it gets blocked.

I think that covers my thoughts. If I have any more to add, I will do so.

And...in regards to your venting about your performance, let me just say this: I felt the same way when I lost at Dallas. We both know that we could have done better. The fact of the matter is, we lack the experience in big tournaments compared to the veterans. Because of this, we're bound to be exposed to something that we're just not prepared for. This doesn't mean you are not a good player, it just simply means that there are holes in your knowledge that can be closed up.

In time, nerves won't be as much of a problem as they originally are. They aren't for me anymore...that choke I experienced on stage against EGP_TYRANT was due to complete stupidity on my part. Same against Madzin. After losing to Tyrant, I got mind-fucked and tried desperately to keep it together.

I can't tell you how to feel about how you did, but I can tell you right now that you are one of those players who will not let shit like this hold him back, and when next you are exposed to this competitive environment, you'll have a better standing. If anyone starts to think you're washed up...take it as motivation. Your time to shut those fuckers up will come, but only if you strive for it. ;)

Hang in there. You know I'm around to talk to if you need a friend.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Yeah. This stuff happens, especially when you get to a big tournament like this, but you can't sit and sulk. Just try and do better next time. I'm still pissed too, but I'm looking forward so I can finally show what I can really do.

YOMI Trepound380

Tranquil Anarchy
dude shit happens, trust me after 5 majors and tons of locals i still get tourney nerves. i talk shit just to counteract the nervousness and my doubts. plus this tourney was full of killers it wasnt easy at all you did good and if ur going to winterbrawl ull place top 8. just have confidence even when ya lose.

7L

Heads up!
Hell don't put yourself down man. I think the whole WNBA crew had a bad showing. We all were off. We will get some training in at SwiftTomHanks before WB and be ready for a comeback. Everyone needs to keep their heads up. There are more tourneys to come!

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
I honestly think you outplayed him with Baraka, that dropped combo and your cross-up defense were a litle lacking (he K-frogged you during the last round of that first match), and you fell for too many blade charges. But all in all, you shoulda taken that first game, nothing to get too worked up about. Shit happens.

REYTHEGREAT

that was some good playby tetris. i noticed some input bug going on in the match too. also, believe it or not but baraka has one of the best footsies in the game

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Yeah, I've heard Tetra was really good and it showed in this video. He could have beaten Krayzie as well if he was more informed on the whole command grab situation. Keep your head up Khaotik, we all know you're good man.