What's new

Video/Tutorial The Kurtis Stryker Guide to Riot Control & Police Brutality

vs Johnny Cage sweep and NJP all day. It's gonna blow him up. Seriously.

Other than that, if he stays in crouch position abuse gun cancels to make him stand up. And when he's dash blocking check him with dash xx 4, dash throw and JP.

Get out of his frame traps using EX Roll or D3.

Breakers are pretty much a waste imo. I prefer keeping meter for 2 parries vs a character that likes to mash buttons so much. Only breaker when you're really in trouble.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

Other than that, if he stays in crouch position abuse gun cancels to make him stand up. And when he's dash blocking check him with dash xx 4, dash throw and JP.

Breakers are pretty much a waste imo. I prefer keeping meter for 2 parries vs a character that likes to mash buttons so much. Only breaker when you're really in trouble.
Just remember to really mix it up because if the cage you are fighting is a defensive cage (by adding more things like throws and shadow kicks and hoping to bait something like a dash foward JP/4), he will sure change up his style just as much as you would. Do only the EX Roll during openings (Right before force balls in the F3, 3 string). Offensive cages are just like HRURRRR F3, 2 F3, 2 F3, 2 F3, 2 F3, 2 F3, 2 F3,3,- so on so forth.

"Untechable knockdown" only means that they cannot roll out of the way. But they can still stay grounded or do an invincible wake up attack. (just to be clear and prevent confusion)

I still haven't found a good use/follow ups for Stryker's throws. They leave you around max JK distance just outside of Baton Sweep range. But with not enough frame advantage to do anything really interesting.

Forward throw in the corner seems to have a lot of potential though. Especially vs characters with bad wake up attacks.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
"Untechable knockdown" only means that they cannot roll out of the way. But they can still stay grounded or do an invincible wake up attack. (just to be clear and prevent confusion)

I still haven't found a good use/follow ups for Stryker's throws. They leave you around max JK distance just outside of Baton Sweep range. But with not enough frame advantage to do anything really interesting.

Forward throw in the corner seems to have a lot of potential though. Especially vs characters with bad wake up attacks.
Don't forget that we can do the EN baton sweep (buffer) OS that you found since they can't roll to mess up the distance.

Don't forget that we can do the EN baton sweep (buffer) OS that you found since they can't roll to mess up the distance.
You mean in the corner or midscreen?

I doubt you can do it midscreen because like I said, not enough frame advantage. After a Baton Sweep we can do a complete dash before they stand up and are able to move again. But throw leaves Stryker too far away with too little time to get in position for the OS.

And in the corner your poke will likely connect even if they don't do anything. Which will result in a fail if you try B3, D1 or D3. B2 and 2 might work. Haven't really tested them in the corner...

EDIT: Just tested forward throw in the corner. EX baton OS indeed works with B2 :D The poke actually whiffs if the opponent doesn't do anything.

B3, standing 2, D1 and D3 don't work in the corner.

EDIT2: omg, corner OS also works with D4 and standing 3. :eek: From now on I'm gonna forward throw all day in the corner lmao.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
You mean in the corner or midscreen?

I doubt you can do it midscreen because like I said, not enough frame advantage. After a Baton Sweep we can do a complete dash before they stand up and are able to move again. But throw leaves Stryker too far away with too little time to get in position for the OS.

And in the corner your poke will likely connect even if they don't do anything. Which will result in a fail if you try B3, D1 or D3. B2 and 2 might work. Haven't really tested them in the corner...

EDIT: Just tested forward throw in the corner. EX baton OS indeed works with B2 :D The poke actually whiffs if the opponent doesn't do anything.

B3, standing 2, D1 and D3 don't work in the corner.

EDIT: omg, corner OS also works with D4 and standing 3. :eek: From now on I'm gonna forward throw all day in the corner lmao.
lmao! Since they can't roll after the throw, the first useful thing that came to mind was the OS since we don't have enough frame advantage to do anything. Glad you are already finding cool stuff already hehe

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'm thinking that if there was something Stryker could really use (note; not need) it would be an overhead that followed the baton twirl.

LEGEND

YES!

NJPs and jump punches are a bad idea
there is no reason for cage to jump and both can be reaction jabbed out of the air into a nut punch reset combo

of course if you are playing some bad jump happy Cage then by all means use what works but generally this isn't going to work in your favor vs a competent Cage player

Edit: but as always if you have a good read on your opponent don't let logic stop you from maximizing your damage output.

LETHAL LEGEND said:
NJPs and jump punches are a bad idea
there is no reason for cage to jump and both can be reaction jabbed out of the air into a nut punch reset combo
I wasn't saying that Cage would jump. You NJP at a distance where he can't anti-air you and you jump in when he's already committed to dash blocking. Of course it's a gamble, but it's the risk vs reward is still in Stryker's favor. (btw NJP is to counter EX shadow kick, not to counter JC's jumping in)

If I NJP from far away or midscreen and he doesn't ex shadow kick, then his only option is to try and EX shadow kick my jump on reaction right? But that's nothing and it knocks me away so I'm not scared of that shit. If he does EX shadow kick expecting Gun though it's 30% ending with roll toss for me. That is huge.

You can sometimes afford to jump on Cage if you have meter. Because then even if he anti-airs you he will only be able to get a few % then you'll be able to parry his frame traps. So again, gun xx jump in when JC is comitted to dash block is in Stryker's favor if he has meter (still taking risk vs reward into consideration). But you have to be smart about it and not be predictable. You have to jump in when they're not expecting it, which is easier said than done obviously. But that is why Gun cancels are so good (for conditioning).

And when they expect you to jump in, that is when you mix it up with dash xx low poke and dash xx throw. Or fire gun closer than usual after having conditioned them to always cancel gun at that range. etc.

LEGEND

YES!
I wasn't saying that Cage would jump. You NJP at a distance where he can't anti-air you and you jump in when he's already committed to dash blocking. Of course it's a gamble, but it's the risk vs reward is still in Stryker's favor. (btw NJP is to counter EX shadow kick, not to counter JC's jumping in)

If I NJP from far away or midscreen and he doesn't ex shadow kick, then his only option is to try and EX shadow kick my jump on reaction right? But that's nothing and it knocks me away so I'm not scared of that shit. If he does EX shadow kick expecting Gun though it's 37% ending with roll toss for me. That is huge.

You can sometimes afford to jump on Cage if you have meter. Because then even if he anti-airs you he will only be able to get a few % then you'll be able to parry his frame traps. So again, gun xx jump in when JC is comitted to dash block is in Stryker's favor if he has meter (still taking risk vs reward into consideration). But you have to be smart about it and not be predictable. You have to jump in when they're not expecting it, which is easier said than done obviously. But that is why Gun cancels are so good (for conditioning).

And when they expect you to jump in, that is when you mix it up with dash xx low poke and dash xx throw. Or fire gun closer than usual after having conditioned them to always cancel gun at that range. etc.
ya i gotcha, you didn't specify the reason for NJPs so i thought it was in conjunction with the sweeps

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
FUN FACTS:
Stryker can do the "old school" combo mid screen. I know I know im late, but it will be cool to finish a match with it lol. The opponent would be like WTH is going on ROFL. Here it is for those who dont know

B122~gunshot ~ 1 xx EN Gunshot ~ 11 xx EN Gunshot (35% and 38% with JP)

My understanding is that a Stryker player won a recent tournament any info?
Maxter recently won a tourney using Cyrax/Johnny Cage then he picked Stryker at the Grand Finals to take out Crazy Dominican's Kitana. So it was only 1 match.

Still impressive considering CD probably has the best Kitana out there and plays Maxter on a daily basis so he knew the MU to some extent. That match can be viewed here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/police-brutality-replays-crazy-dominican-vs-maxter.14058/

If another Stryker won a tourney somewhere I didn't hear about it.

Yesterday Dink used Stryker during some money matches I think and Maxter pulled his pocket Stryker vs REO's Kabal at some point but he lost and switched back to Cyrax/JC. He played good overall but wasn't using enough grenades. He traded twice Gun Shot vs wake up Ground Saw when he had life lead but a Grenade trade would have won him the round. Not sure if he knew that Low Grenade also stuffs EX nomad dash.. It was still a pretty good fight.

Biologic

Noob
Last edited 3/30/2012 12:05AM EST

This is pretty much my first post so I'm going to introduce myself while I'm at it.
I'm Biologic, I main Stryker, Jax, Sonya, and JC, my GT on xbl is "Itz Biologic" if you want to run games.

Anyway, I haven't played many Strykers but the one's I do play don't ever use resets or end there combos with Baton sweep, and usually I have to ask them: WHY. If you do a B3, 2, 4, roll you'll get 29% If you just do B3, 2, 3, they've been reset and you can immediately start pressuring and building meter. Even just going for a grab after the reset will net you 12% extra damage and still out do your average 29% B3 combo.

So basically, I'm sharing my alternate combos and what I like to as well as explain Re explain the importance Gun canceling and such to help broaden everyone's horizons. (BTW I'm not godly with Stryker or anything)

Combos

Standing 3/other reset enders

The purpose of these combos is to leave you at advantage and take away there wake up at the cost of some damage in the combo itself. However you'll be making it up with chip damage, meter building, grabs, or whole other combos sometimes.

B3, 2, Dash, 1 1, GS, 4, Gun cancel 28% - If you gun cancel after 4 your already in B3 range and the apposing player gets up really quickly after this combo for some reason so they usually don't have time to wake up.

B3, 2, Dash, 3, Gun Cancel 19% - Immediately start pressuring or go for a grab!

B2, F2, Dash, 1, 2, Gunshot, 3 (Forgot the damage sorry, I'll update it later) - Get your pressure on or go for a grab!

B1, 2, 2, NJP, 1, 2, Gunshot, 3 (Forgot the damage sorry, I'll update it later) - Get your pressure on or go for a grab!

Baton sweep enders-

(Ending a combo in Baton sweep opens up an opportunity to start another combo with B3/Baton sweep, unless they have have a really quick wake up and know what your doing in that case you can use EX Baton sweep which allows you to D3 someone to make them auto stand up and you can grab them right after :D)

B2, F2, Dash, 1, 2, Gunshot, dash, 1, Baton sweep 32% (You can get a second 2 at the end if your fast)

B1, 2, 2, NJP, 2, Gunshot, 1, 2, baton sweep 34%

B3, 2, Dash, 1, Baton Sweep 24%

I don't have any AA combos since they usually vary, but you should try to end them with standing 3 or standing 4 into roll or Baton Sweep, preferably Baton Sweep.

Corner Combos

I only just started trying to build corner combos yesterday ( March 28th) so I don't have Baton sweeps or standing 3 resets in the corner yet, sorry D:

Ghetto reset corner combos

All of these combos allow you to B3, 2 someone as soon as there getting up/as soon as the combo drops. Most people wont be ready for it, and if they are they'll likely still not have time to wake up unless there Kung freaking Lao and if they do have said wake up then EX Baton Sweep that bitch!!!! (Basically these combo's are ghetto resets/ghetto links)

B3, 2, Half dash, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 32% (you can try and add an extra 1, 2 at the end for 37% but it's hard and I wouldn't recommend it right away. You can also try and add a gunshot after the first 1, 2, and go for two additional 1, 2's after that for 38% damage.)

B2, F2, 1, 2, 1, 2, Gunshot, 1, 2 (Forgot the damage, I'll update it later)

B1, 2, 2, NJP, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 (Forgot the damage, I'll update it later) You can also add a gunshot after the second 1, 2, if you think you can land it, it seems to whiff more often in this combo than others though for some reason

Gun Canceling/Pressure

It's extremely important as a Stryker player that you get in the habit of gun canceling, it's key to Strykers pressure and helps build meter.

If your opponent is full screen or a bit closer and your expecting him to duck your GS or get around your bomb then just start gun canceling backwards over and over and build some meter. When your up close, try to use standing 3 GC into 2, 3, GC, into a grab or something. Go into training mode and practice ending everything in a GC

What each string should be used for -

1, 2 - Use this when the opponent is standing, landing 1, 2 GC leaves you at max frames and you can go for something a bit crazier like a B3 or cross up after this. This string also jails into gunshot for extra chip and meter building.

2, 3, 2 - Use this after you land a down 4 and have a little bit of space, it has decent range and if you cancel after 2 your at max frames just like you are with 1, 2. This string is helpful because both hit low, but be careful after landing the 3, the recovery is slightly slower than most and it's tough to guncancel out of. (NEVER FINISH THIS STRING WITH THE FINAL 2)

B2, F2 - Forget about the other 2 mix ups after B2, B2 F2 is the best simply because it pushes the opponent perfectly into standing 4 distance and out of the way of all there pokes. You should mainly use this string after a cross up, it does good chip, building epic meter, has fast recovery, and spaces you well. It's only downside are a some what slow start up and high hitbox which is why I recommend it in cross ups.

1, 1, 4 - I don't recommend using this string much, anything this string may offer another string does better.

3 - Great for starting pressure or getting in on someone since it has decent range I typically treat this like it's Johnny's F3 or something usually using it after I land a poke or see an opening in there pressure. (Is also used to reset people)

4 - Basically a better version of standing 3, it's 8 frames and has just slightly more range than standing 3, and it's his primary AA (Can be linked with Roll Toss)

B1, 2, 2 - I have only just started trying to use this string but right now I would recommend it after you land a 2, a 2, 3, or a 1, 2. The first hit wiffs, the second hit leaves you at pretty good frames if you gun cancel it and the 3 hit has pretty quick recovery and creates perfect spacing for a standing 4.

B3, 2 - Use this to rape people on there wake up/after a baton sweep or after a cross up.

The trick to Strykers pressure is to know your distances, and use each of your tools based on that, most of his strings leave you at some kind of distance allowing you to really utilize standing 3/4

Baton Sweeps

Like I said, I'm no pro Stryker player but I feel landing Baton sweep in games is extremely important.

If a Baton sweep lands then you can B3, 2 them into another combo, if your worried they'll wake up attack in the very small time frame them have then use an EX Baton sweep. If your worried they'll block correctly, do a B3, Baton sweep for a double low or a B3 EX baton sweep for a low, low, medium. Anytime any of this lands there put back into the same situation, if you land another Baton sweep there back on the ground and forced to block another low, if you land a B3, 2 you can either reset them or end with another baton sweep to do the same thing again. You can quickly take 50+ health from someone in the blink of an eye and usually the player breakers rather then try to play the blocking game. If Baton sweep or B3, 2 are blocked then all is still well, I believe both are 0 on block.
(Sorry if this is poorly written/organized, if your having a hard time understanding I can rewrite this.)

Roll Toss

I don't think this move should be implemented to often other than to punish with projectiles. Sometimes you can get away with doing two in a row or doing an armored roll right after a normal one, but I think this move is -1 or more on block despite what the frame data says, and I almost never get the next hit after it's blocked even if I d1. So only use this move to punish projectiles or to roll out of the way when someone's trying to cross you up, outside of this use it sparingly.

Gun Shot

Try to implement this into your game as much as possible, it's useful for so many things. You can gun Cancel to build meter, bait out teleports with more gun cancels, AA people, gun cancel during pressure to make your pressure faster, and control space.

Everytime you knock someone down and they're out of Baton sweep/B3 distance you should have your gun out and ready, if they try to jump or do anything weird like green kick you as Johnny cage then you shoot them, if they Tele or slide you Gun cancel and punish them, if they just stand there like fools, you gun cancel yourself in/start building meter.

WHY'S THE STRYKER FORUM SO DEAD?

LEGEND

YES!
Vulcan Hades

maybe you can group this thread together with other Stryker tips to make some kinda of Stryker Baseline Guide?
Don't know how the moderating stuff functions but i see alot of good posts in these threads followed by conversations and some useless stuff, adding things like this OP in one thread might be a good idea if possible

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
Maxter recently won a tourney using Cyrax/Johnny Cage then he picked Stryker at the Grand Finals to take out Crazy Dominican's Kitana. So it was only 1 match.

Still impressive considering CD probably has the best Kitana out there and plays Maxter on a daily basis so he knew the MU to some extent. That match can be viewed here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/police-brutality-replays-crazy-dominican-vs-maxter.14058/

If another Stryker won a tourney somewhere I didn't hear about it.

Yesterday Dink used Stryker during some money matches I think and Maxter pulled his pocket Stryker vs REO's Kabal at some point but he lost and switched back to Cyrax/JC. He played good overall but wasn't using enough grenades. He traded twice Gun Shot vs wake up Ground Saw when he had life lead but a Grenade trade would have won him the round. Not sure if he knew that Low Grenade also stuffs EX nomad dash.. It was still a pretty good fight.
So hes at most a counter-pick. Thats still such a good showing.

Espio

Kokomo
I think Stryker's more than just a counterpick...I still believe Stryker's too legit and has too many tools to not be able to stand up competitively at a major.

I cannot believe how dead the Stryker forum is lately, Jade forum's been jumping lately, interesting.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I just started a new job \o/ so I haven't had time at all to explore Stryker :-( to make matters worse, my tv just died so I'm only going to rely on MK vita to get back into the game again.

LEGEND

YES!
i don't know what to do with my stryker : (

its way to damn good to give up but he just doesn't fit well with my other characters. As far as this forum goes i feel like i've already posted most of what i can explain in text and Vulcan has laid down all the anti wake-up tech as well as MU info

I really don't think there is any new way to play stryker or groundbreaking tech that is left to be found, even if there was it wouldn't make this character move outside mid tier. I am lost right now, i feel that stryker is by far my strongest character but he is just too damn hard to win with vs great players and he has a few too many counter picks

-

instead of dropping him completely i'm going to start using him as a utility/mix-up character in Tournament play. Hopefully i'll get some matches recorded or streamed with him so i can help all you guys out. Other than that there's not much i can do, i guess i can still answer any questions the "5" of you might have

Espio

Kokomo
It's no worries, I was just surprised, it was a passing observation.

It seems like we need an CompletelyJaded type Stryker player lol.

I just started a new job \o/ so I haven't had time at all to explore Stryker :-( to make matters worse, my tv just died so I'm only going to rely on MK vita to get back into the game again.
Oh that sucks man, on the positive side, how's the new job coming along? Life priorities, gotta go with what's important:).

i don't know what to do with my stryker : (

its way to damn good to give up but he just doesn't fit well with my other characters. As far as this forum goes i feel like i've already posted most of what i can explain in text and Vulcan has laid down all the anti wake-up tech as well as MU info

I really don't think there is any new way to play stryker or groundbreaking tech that is left to be found, even if there was it wouldn't make this character move outside mid tier. I am lost right now, i feel that stryker is by far my strongest character but he is just too damn hard to win with vs great players and he has a few too many counter picks

-

instead of dropping him completely i'm going to start using him as a utility/mix-up character in Tournament play. Hopefully i'll get some matches recorded or streamed with him so i can help all you guys out. Other than that there's not much i can do, i guess i can still answer any questions the "5" of you might have
It's like this with a lot of the character forums with characters considered, "less than great", I was just making a casual observation in comparison to both forums.

All of you guys have done so much for the forum before I even got here, so I definitely understand that maybe all the tech you guys have uncovered since release is all the dirt. There's been a lot of great, groundbreaking stuff. I don't doubt that much of Stryker's dirt and tech (or all of it) has been fully discovered, but I might start doing more exploration on my own as well. I've been looking periodically though.

I actually understand where you're coming from, I've been at it with him and I'm not sure where to go with him, mostly trying to sharpen my footsies and spacing.

If you like the character, it couldn't hurt to keep playing him, even if just for fun, especially if he's your best guy:).

Also, I look forward to your streamed matches, your Stryker is interesting to watch.

I'm taking Stryker and Jade to Seasons' Beatings in like a week,I don't have any outrageous aspirations, I just want to at least support Stryker and Jade because I want them in the next game and the best way to do that is to show NRS and others that they're liked and worth being in the next game. Maybe they'll get some refinements to improve on their decent tools, that's the only major problem, they're decent characters with suitable toolsets in a game with characters who have a lot of nonsense.

Sonya,Cage, and Raiden are a given based on how good they were in this game + story, Jade and Stryker aren't and that worries me. I cannot play this game seriously unless there's a character I want to put time into.

I play Kitana, Rain, Sindel, Sheeva, Cage and Sonya too, but I'm not super into them like Stryker and Jade. I'd probably just drop the game if I didn't play either those two or Sheeva seriously.