What's new

The hate for the MK community

Vagrant

Noob
The series needs some work. In terms of more efficient char balance BEFORE release, Online launch, bugs and glitches, patch response (Why the hell does Cyrax still have his OMFG UNBREAKABLE BOMB ORGY'S R US! NRS?)

But dude for the first time since UMK3... I didn't feel like I had to TRY to enjoy it......
It's just naturally alot of fucking fun to play....

Gory as hell, dark as hell, with some of the most original characters I've ever seen in fighting games imo...
It's got this luster to it that no other fighting game has, that draws the non FG community in...
I think that may be a BIG reason MK gets so much shit from the FGC.
While there are numerous aspects in which it doesn't compare to rival fighting games, It blows it's rivals out of the water in terms of originality...Thus drawing the kids in that otherwise wouldn't play fighters....

Tim Static

Adminerator
Tim Static What game in the MK series is better than MK 9? Do you believe MK 4-Armageddon is >> MK I- UMKIII?
UMK3 is the best MK game in the franchise, and sadly, for over a decade and a half its had to maintain that title. After that, I'd say MK9 is 2nd or 3rd best, either tied at 2nd with Mk2 or at 3 with MK4. I dont even consider the games after MK4 and before MK9 serious MK titles.

Flagg

Noob
Tim Static I agree that after UMK3, the series became a bit of a joke and sadly I didn't play much MK 4. Is MK 9 better than MK 3? I would say yes, but then after MK 9 I would pick MK 2 then UMK9. It's hard to choose which was better out of MK 2 and UMK3.

EDIT: Maybe pros from other games bag on MK9, but I know a lot of casuals that said they wished their fighting games had the story that MK9 had. People can say "who cares about casuals", but it's casuals that ensures game franchises go on for the hardcore amongst us.

I just wished games like WoW and MW3 would die. They completely suck dry the communities from every other genre into their games. If there is any hate, it should be for those games, that criminally get away with releasing "new games" which are essentially 60 pounds/dollar expansion packs of an older engine.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Games like Deception and Armageddon were so bad. You had to play it to believe it. The games were full of infinite combos, block infinite combos, ridiculous damage potential, broken rush down, broken zoning, etc. etc. People who spend their time whining about Kabal and Cyrax now would commit suicide if they played Dairou or Bo Rai Cho in Deception. LOL. Looking back, I think Dairou's bull shit is only surpassed by MKT Noob.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If you do lots of research, pretty much all games or most games initially started out gimmicky before changing drastically over time, it's really all relative. SF, Mario, MK, hell even sports games were so "simple and or gimmicky" early on, compared to now days where they're all a lot deeper them before.

It seems that overtime, games have become like sports(almost that bad) where in the sense that it's just a game for fun, friendly comp etc but some folks take it too serious with cutthroat mentality. It's a game, meant for fun. Every game people complain about or love, either way MK9 sold extremely well and is indeed one of the best fighters ever made. Nobody can change that. If someone hates the game you love, who cares?

P.S. I know some folks don't care, but MK owns every other fighter in terms of A. developed badass characters, B. Storyline and C. Third party adventure games...ok, SF was bad...but compared to uhh DOA volleyball or Tekken bowling lol, at least MK has tried to give the 1 on 1 a break and give us cool konquest modes and adventure games, Mythologies wasn't that bad of a game, just plain and MK: SM owned! I'd personally love to see an Ermac or Raiden mythologies game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Hmm...Dairou reminds me of Freddy...if you exclude the unblockable on the ground launcher.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Hmm...Dairou reminds me of Freddy...if you exclude the unblockable on the ground launcher.
Yeah, but the unblockable makes a very big difference.

I would love to see Dairou in a quality 2D Mortal Kombat game. I think you can balance the TS Drop if you slow the move down, remove the launch properties (but keep them on EX), and reduce the damage to 7%.

Tim Static

Adminerator
btw their were things within the 3d MK games I liked, and liked a lot. Bo Rai Cho, Havik, Kenshi, Chess, Motor Kombat & Konquest.

MKD's Konquest was such a brilliant fucking concept. A MK RPG? Fuck yes! This is something they must re-visit, but not so much in a Shaolin Monks kind of way. But since i brought up SM's, we definitely need a new storyline based SM's style game.

I feel like MK4 could have been really good had it not been for the MAX DAMAGE crap. But I'm not a tournament guy by any means. What else made that one shitty, besides being 3-D? (sort of 3-D. It still kind of played 2-D. I don't remember utilizing the side-step often)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
btw their were things within the 3d MK games I liked, and liked a lot. Bo Rai Cho, Havik, Kenshi, Chess, Motor Kombat & Konquest.

MKD's Konquest was such a brilliant fucking concept. A MK RPG? Fuck yes! This is something they must re-visit, but not so much in a Shaolin Monks kind of way. But since i brought up SM's, we definitely need a new storyline based SM's style game.
Thank you, Static. A lot.

Were the 3D games (other than Deadly Alliance) capable of tournament-level competition? Helllllll no.
But they had some of THE best concepts, ideas, gimmicks and just all-around fun things to do in the history of MK and fighting games in general. I will plug MKD Konquest until the day I become a potato as the most regular-video-game-ish fun you can have in any Kombat, including MK9 Story Mode, solely due to the fact that unlike 9, you get to experience the ENTIRE CAST, in all number of imaginitive ways, from both the player's and opponent's perspective.
IMO, 1-4 and 9 are the ones you play to compete, Deception & Armageddon are strictly for fun and chaos (if you can call Armageddon "fun"...my goodness, the hate I have for that game >_< ), and Deadly Alliance falls somewhere in the middle.

There's 2 things I want to see.
1. Every character from the 3D games eventually making it onto the MK9 style platform, along with their respective storylines and plots, accordingly altered by Raiden accidently bringing about a different end of the world than was originally supposed to happen.
(Seriously. What the fuck will happen to, say, Shujinko, who as this is going on is still in the middle of his quest? Will it alter the Kamidogu? If Shang Tsung stays dead/comes back to life and is converted to good by Bo Rai Cho, what becomes of his quest to enter Mortal Kombat? Is Nitara still going to be delicious? I hope so...)
2. THE RETURN OF CHESS KOMBAT. Kill the Sorcerers, win the game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I feel like MK4 could have been really good had it not been for the MAX DAMAGE crap. But I'm not a tournament guy by any means. What else made that one shitty, besides being 3-D? (sort of 3-D. It still kind of played 2-D. I don't remember utilizing the side-step often)
MK4 was actually not bad. Most people are just ignorant and assume it was bad. It's by far the best 3D MK game that's for sure.

MKF30

MK4 I enjoyed honestly, even though it was more 2.5 D, then 100% 3D. But still enjoyed it. I was always curious as to why some people hated Max damage, I kind of didn't mind it and there were still a few infinites in the game that weren't easy to pull of anyway.

I was always curious as to why some people hated Max damage, I kind of didn't mind it and there were still a few infinites in the game that weren't easy to pull of anyway.
I just felt like it was a cop out to me. It's almost like they watched some guys playing UMK3 at the local arcade, and saw those huge combos they were doing, then heard the bitching over it and decided to put a limit on it. Granted it does suck to be on the receiving end of a 100% combo, but I don't think we need the game to tell us when enough is enough.

Here's a short version: it reminded me of that "NO CHEESE" symbol from Primal Rage.

MKF30

Hm, yeah I suppose it's all perspective. I respect that, I'm all for combos, zoning, footsies, mind games etc, etc. I'd probably be lying if I said I was a big fan of "infinites and resets" however, I can do without both. To me, depending on the game I think some players "resort" to that in order to win and can't without that. I mean, say you're in a MK9 tourney and you lose because of a QC zune trap...kind of hard not to look at it and thing "omg, really..." if you have no breaker, you're pretty much fucked. lol. I actually don't mind the max damage in MK4.

The one thing that I kind of wish they would have done was made up their mind, either 2D or 3D, it wasn't really 100% of either lol. There was a side step button which made you spin 3D, yet not 100% 3D like the 3D MK's or Tekken etc, but at the same time wasn't 2D either like UMK3 or MK9 etc, know what I mean?

Primal Rage haha, I miss that game. I have it for Midway AT though.

Well...the arguments I've heard from top players in other FGCs are completely valid. Even before they answer my question I'm pretty sure as what they are going to say, just because I play the game myself and see all the crap that is wrong with it first hand. Most of them have told me that there a just too many things wrong with this game, and they are right. I guess since the other FGCs have been around longer, they just have a better understanding of what a competitive fighting game should be like, and thats probably why they look down on this game. Sometimes I'm amazed when I read threw the forums at what alot of people in this community are willing to accept, but like I said, I think it has to do with how long this community has actually had a real competitive scene. Hopefully the MK series will evolve and with it the community.

Please guys, don't think I'm against the community or anything of that sort, I'm just telling it how others that I've spoke to see and why I think MK might get treated like it does. The community shouldn't be so quick to accept shit on a silver platter just because thats what NRS want to feed us. Back when I heard first heard Aris, Tom and others bashing the problems in this game, I was hoping that the developers would prove them wrong and fix the dumb shit. At this point it looks like they've tried but failed as far as trying to get rid of game breaking bullshit and unbalancing issues. It doesn't look like they plan on fixing anything anytime soon, so if other FGCs look down on MK as a game, just know that its because it has serious issue that should be addressed.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Really though at this point what shit on a silver platter are we acceping? Yeah resets but for god's sake these characters aren't winning.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I just felt like it was a cop out to me. It's almost like they watched some guys playing UMK3 at the local arcade, and saw those huge combos they were doing, then heard the bitching over it and decided to put a limit on it. Granted it does suck to be on the receiving end of a 100% combo, but I don't think we need the game to tell us when enough is enough.

Here's a short version: it reminded me of that "NO CHEESE" symbol from Primal Rage.
It was there way of not letting those high damaging combos take over MK4, and kept most damage to about 50% tops. It was lame, but the MK team has done FAR worse, so it was ok. Nothing i loved or would ever encourage.

Yeah that Konquest shit was a great idea. It's just unfortunate it was rushed and just a side mode. MK's universe is so rich and interesting it almost feels like a waste not to make some sort of adventure game with it. Exploring all the realms in a third person action adventure RPG would be so freaking EPIC.

They should work on something like that while we all wait for MK10 imo.