What's new

The hate for the MK community

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
What Static said.

Don't take it so personal, people have been hating on MK(for good reason) for so long that its hard to stop.
If NRS is committed and continues to release good game after good game, that stigma will eventually go away, but its going to take time.

Even now when the series is the best its ever been(sorry UMK3 guys) it still has a lot of problems, this is a growing experience for NRS, they have to ease into it, most first games of any series have a lot of problems(this is the first MK that matters, again sorry UMK3 guys), especially when they can't have an arcade release. Hopefully as they continue down this road they will learn there mistakes and continuously improve upon there games, or they can shit all over themselves and go back 3D games with kart racing mini filler nonsense, who knows.

But until then? Just ignore all the stream chats, twitter bullshit, and SRK comments, get some thicker skin and enjoy your game for what it is.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
They're just jealous that their game isn't as awesome as ours.
My thoughts exactly.

Fuck 'em. Kombat to the death.

It's not going to change. Sure, MK9 is WAY better than the 3D era diarrhea but it's still not quite there in retrospect to other well established FGs. If NRS really improves the next installment, releases frame data, fixes the 3D hitboxes, fixes all the glitches, doesn't release a game with a utterly absurd amount of problems, a good trainer and a good netcode then this series will be respected; I talk shit about this game because I want the next installment to be better. Everyone should.

NRS needs to be constantly reminded of it, you can't hope that they're going to continually check on TYM because they're not. Voice it, voice it continually. Scream it loud, get that information out there. Make it known that the tournament players are not satisfied. Frankly it pisses me off when people respond with garbage like "Well, this is broken, accept it or stop playing it" I'll still play the game but I'm going to voice my opinion so that it doesn't happen again.

I know that you guys who stuck around, and/or played the 3D area crapfest are more lenient with this game, but the players who stopped playing this series after UMK3 due to how appallingly god awful it became are not. When I talk to people I openly admit that this game has problems, why am I going to hide or become offended by people talking trash about it? It's not like it's a secret.

Dude, I specialize in epic Willian Wallace intelligent/maniacal rants and speeches.
If someone would promote it, I'd cut one the entire FGC wouldn't soon forget.
True story. It'd make my heart happy to stand up for my game to the fools with nothing better to do than try and suppress a community trying to capitalize on its gimmicked history and make a serious drive for competition.
I know I have yet to win the 16 pounds of gold required for one to really be taken seriously (hopefully this will change in a couple of weeks...), but regardless, I feel like I can do some good. I'll go to work with the notebook and see if I can Braveheart the shit out of it...

Goku

Noob
Well Mortal Kombat has always been treated biasedly in the FGC. It just really agitates me how people act like SF is a perfect/100% Flawless game, it has its fair share of issues.

hardwire

Noob
Yeah, the explosive diarrhea bomb. If that casual gimmicky poopfest era never happened, and MK transitioned from UMK3 to MK9, the series would be A LOT more respected.
dude no it was awsome stop with your butt hurt crap

mk is not repspected because its viewed as being only about the blood gore and fatalitys not because it went 3d
tekken dominates all game numbers and its only 3d so no 3d did not hurt mk at all.

I wanna see mk 10 be 3d done right.

Espio

Kokomo
Great read.

My thoughts:

People talk shit about everything, if we let everyone who doesn't like something bother us, we'd all be miserable all the time.

All NRS has to do is consistently make good games and all we have to do is support their good games by purchasing them, streaming them, and going to tournaments...haters cannot do anything with their words...the only thing that would sink the ship is if NRS or the community don't handle their business and it appears both parties have it on lock.

NRS' 3D era games were bad because they were rushed and they were rushed because Midway was using MK exclusively to stay afloat, so they abused the franchise....they're in the hands of Warner Bros. now so we need not worry too much about that...and NRS seems to have been very serious about stepping their game up.

We can talk about faults forever...everything has them...Street Fighter too, how many versions did they release, where they ended up having to improve balance etc. I support complaints to help raise awareness for needed improvements, but taking a harsh stance is counter-productive, logically explaining issues is the way to go.

I also think it's funny when people say a game is bad because it has a different style, I don't like Street Fighter, but I'm not going to say the game is bad (because I know it's not), but for me, I don't like the gameplay, art style, or graphics..it's still a good game though, it's just not for me.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Thanks for the nice read!

While it's more important to focus on what we can do for our game than ask why it gets hate, I'll drop my 2c here. Up until a few months ago we were an extremely unprofessional community. There was a huge lack of information concerning the game and no where to find it. Most MK sites focused on the lore and design aspect of MK and disregarded any competitive aspect. TYM had a rather unprofessional physical design in comparison to the organized SRK, and it's members were not discussing game tech, but rather just being assholes. While some of these problems still persists (see: people being assholes), things are much better now.

There are a few things that we should focus on from here on out. First and foremost is important discussion about the game. Most of the popular content on TYM is concerned with shit talk and trolling. There's a few people out there who constantly bring up good points about the game or specific match ups and they get ignored. I was so happy to see the amount of replies I got when Death and I posted our Sub Zero vs Sektor match up video. The fact that people wrote back over and over, some even making video responses really showcased the community at it's best. Imagine if we did this for every match up in the game?! I could easily post macthes of me against AC's Kabal or Teef's Kenshi and try to start a discussion; perhaps it would work or perhaps it was just the Sub Zero forum that really cares about that stuff. I posted the same Sub vs Sektor video in the Sektor forums, and only Ketchup responded.

Lastly, we need to make our majors and locals the best we possibly can. The quality needs to be set to a new standard. Tournaments need to be run at a smooth pace, highlight the best possible matches on stream, contain professional yet enjoyable commentary, and give credit to the players in replacement of the characters they are using. SF has a great community because people have become famous by playing it. We all know who Justin Wong, Diago, LiJoe, PRBalrog, UltraDavid, Noel Brown, Mike Ross, Gootenks, ect. are. Do they know who Reo, CDjr, Maxter, CD, Brady, PL, Detroit, Pig, Riu, Krazie, Storms, ect. are? Probably the only two names listed there that are known are Perfect Legend and Tom Brady. PL is known outside MK and Tom Brady is known more for his antics rather than related to MK. We have an amazing group of individuals; lets highlight that.

In the end, we can't change the physical game. But we can change how the community acts and functions. Our attention belongs there.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food" - Ralph Wigum.

We have been working so hard to be where we're at and we still aren't anywhere near the level that the SF community is at
THOSE DAMN CONFORMISTS

just an example, you know how underground rap music is better than what's on the radio? yeah

Great read. Juggernaut, alot of people support you and this topic. If anyone hates this game and the community, all I can say to them is Fuck You. Seriously. We need this shit to be fixed

Tim Static

Adminerator
Midway had no business trying to take MK 3d. MK4 should have been enough proof. Sure from todays standpoint, MK4 seems like it was an ok game. But lets go back to 97-98 and the last MK game you played was UMK3. Then you played MK4. WTF spreads across your face. I rest my case. (least it had the run button)

Another reason MK is looked down on, and you cant really deny this, is how many games did the Midway really keep the same engine, the same style of gameplay or the same..........anything? MK1-MK2 were probably about the closest. Consistency has never been a strong point in MK, and dont expect it for whatever MK10 turns out to be. I swear, Ed and the boys are ADHD.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Midway had no business trying to take MK 3d. MK4 should have been enough proof. Sure from todays standpoint, MK4 seems like it was an ok game. But lets go back to 97-98 and the last MK game you played was UMK3. Then you played MK4. WTF spreads across your face. I rest my case. (least it had the run button)
^ This is true. I filled myself with disgust when played the first time MK4.

Another reason MK is looked down on, and you cant really deny this, is how many games did the Midway really keep the same engine, the same style of gameplay or the same..........anything? MK1-MK2 were probably about the closest. Consistency has never been a strong point in MK, and dont expect it for whatever MK10 turns out to be. I swear, Ed and the boys are ADHD.
^ This is also true. My most biggest concern is that the devs will try to bring something new in the next MK and will fuck shit up. I haven't played MKDA, MKD and MKA, but seems like those games had something in common in their gameplay, nonetheless, as I understand, MKA was still shit.

main problem: mk is TOO eazy
every idiot could buy the game and after 10 minutes can win matches, lol
and because mk is so damm eazy game, the players of other fighting games laughs, its stupid but the thruth

other mk example:
MASH=WIN

:/

btw im not talking about fantasy stories, just telling what i hear in my fighting game community in germany.
mk got TOO much fanboys, they dont play other fighting games, and they dont talk about tactics and competitive things, they even dont know the beatemup vocabulary (anti air, wake up atack, frame advantage and so on and on), they talk and worry all day how to beat shao kahn and make throphies (hope u get what i mean :p)
other reason 4 some lulz
sry 4 my english :/

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
I don't care what anyone has to say.. mk9 is the best fighting game presently(IMO).. Yes, it has annoying bugs(which hopefully will be fixed) but its still great. Making me press 360,360 + 2 buttons for a Special move does not make a game great. Thats not depth, that's poor design. Look at football(American or U.K), its brain dead easy but does that mean it doesn't require skill? Does that mean its trash? Does ballet require more skill than boxing? #FoodForThought

well my freind, if u are talking about ssf4 ae, hehe that game is also very eazy haha
for the must mk players that i know ist a very hard game, but that is other story ;P

u tried blaz blue, GG, SF third strike or SF ST?
but this discussion makes no sense, because haters gonna hate
:D

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
well my freind, if u are talking about ssf4 ae, hehe that game is also very eazy haha
for the must mk players that i know ist a very hard game, but that is other story ;P

u tried blaz blue, GG, SF third strike or SF ST?
but this discussion makes no sense, because haters gonna hate
:D
In the past i used to play virtually all fighting games that came out. hell i even played Kensei Sacred fist. But they all became boring to me. If a game does not interest me, i dont play it. Thats it. I won't go around hating for no reason. Plus i'm an old man now (26).. dont have so much free time :p

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
In the past i used to play virtually all fighting games that came out. hell i even played Kensei Sacred fist. But they all became boring to me. If a game does not interest me, i dont play it. Thats it. I won't go around hating for no reason. Plus i'm an old man now (26).. dont have so much free time :p
This .... I used to play every single 2D FG in the market, but, that shit get bored .... so, I tried to focus only in games that were more or less "deep" regarding competitive .... nowadays, I only find MK9 interesting and good at technical point ..... so, it's the game I dedicate my short free time to play, analyze and enjoy competitive stream videos ..... SF4 AE and UMvC3 are only for fun to me ..... I gonna buy SF x Tekken only 4 fun too, the only game that deserves my attention to admire as competitive material is MK9, and the only one I gonna cheer to in EVO 2012.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
main problem: mk is TOO eazy
every idiot could buy the game and after 10 minutes can win matches, lol
and because mk is so damm eazy game, the players of other fighting games laughs, its stupid but the thruth

other mk example:
MASH=WIN

:/

its easy to play but not easy to master.

im not sure what u mean with that u can win matches after 10 matches of play, maybe u win against another beginner but im damn sure that u wont be able to win matches against an experienced player as a beginner...