What's new

The Grindstone, Training Network. Find training partners/lvl up/git gud.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
And just in general, I don't mean this as a whining , long winded bitchfest or anything.. it's just that writing and typing are cathartic to me and part of how I organize my thoughts, in addition to me trying to own my mistakes and not make excuses. I've gone back through and read what I've written here and elsewhere and I'm not going to bring my hands into it anymore, that's just making an excuse. If they cost me, they cost me, but ultimately it's an input error, I did something wrong that had I don't differently, would have worked. Like when I try to block on wakeup and get hit over and over - that's just a input I have to make myself adjust. I need to find ways to reset my thumb on the dpad and make sure I don't mash it down really hard like I tend to do, because that's what stops me from being able to take it back off. None of this, if executed correctly, puts me at a disadvantage of any kind. I just have to take an extra couple small steps, ones that can be taken during "dead" ingame, such as while I'm being combo'd or knocked down, or while someone is being juggles by me - for instance, if I B3 someone , it's a good time to lightly flex my hands and try to return my fingers to a light, neutral position. I get in the heat of the moment and don't do that kind of stuff and I end up with a claw-hand that won't respond for a moment, or that starts to shake or when I go to press a button my finger doesn't respond, or pushes really hard, or blah blah. All of it can be managed, and I'm using it as an excuse. It's not even super hard to manage, just repetition and staying mentally conscious of what I need to do.

Anyway, just thinking out loud... I think I'll start a training journal elsewhere so I don't clutter the thread with this shit, but still have a place to kind of lay my thoughts out and make notes on what I fucked up, what I did well, etc.

Rex24

There are no bad seeds, only bad men
And just in general, I don't mean this as a whining , long winded bitchfest or anything.. it's just that writing and typing are cathartic to me and part of how I organize my thoughts, in addition to me trying to own my mistakes and not make excuses. I've gone back through and read what I've written here and elsewhere and I'm not going to bring my hands into it anymore, that's just making an excuse. If they cost me, they cost me, but ultimately it's an input error, I did something wrong that had I don't differently, would have worked. Like when I try to block on wakeup and get hit over and over - that's just a input I have to make myself adjust. I need to find ways to reset my thumb on the dpad and make sure I don't mash it down really hard like I tend to do, because that's what stops me from being able to take it back off. None of this, if executed correctly, puts me at a disadvantage of any kind. I just have to take an extra couple small steps, ones that can be taken during "dead" ingame, such as while I'm being combo'd or knocked down, or while someone is being juggles by me - for instance, if I B3 someone , it's a good time to lightly flex my hands and try to return my fingers to a light, neutral position. I get in the heat of the moment and don't do that kind of stuff and I end up with a claw-hand that won't respond for a moment, or that starts to shake or when I go to press a button my finger doesn't respond, or pushes really hard, or blah blah. All of it can be managed, and I'm using it as an excuse. It's not even super hard to manage, just repetition and staying mentally conscious of what I need to do.

Anyway, just thinking out loud... I think I'll start a training journal elsewhere so I don't clutter the thread with this shit, but still have a place to kind of lay my thoughts out and make notes on what I fucked up, what I did well, etc.
Yeah man, fighting game inputs are difficult in general, and I don’t think I could’ve pulled off some of the flight cancels you were doing if I was in your shoes. In my opinion you will do much better if you concentrate on very few selective characters and learn everything about them rather than going through a lot of the cast as your muscle memory will get confused if you constantly keep learning combos for different characters. I’d pick a bit less execution heavy but fundamentally strong characters(cough starfire cough) and really grind out the character. In my opinion that is the best strategy. You will have your bad matchup but a character loyalist will always find newer ways to counter a particularly hard matchup and when you successfully find a new tech for your main, that is the most rewarding feeling. I hope this helps, and don’t hesitate to let me know if you need any help with catwoman matchup

Rex24

There are no bad seeds, only bad men
I was being dumb too though, I sometimes get this weird stubborn streak and instead of respecting things, I tend to try to just beat them, ie I kept challenging Catwomans j2, that kind of thing, trying to find ways to armor through things, or poke around, etc. I need to just play the block and poke game. Like the corner stuff off 1f2 and whatever the other one is that has the low. Like you said, 1f2 on block and you get either a stagger, which I can beat or trade with my own D1, or you get a D1 which I have to block, but if I block it, you're negative and I get to take at least some measure of a turn. 1f2 starts with a high as well so if I read it's coming I should be able to poke under - I need to test that, maybe it was my timing, because I tried a few times and just for splatted by the OH. I haven't labbed what Swamp does, assuming I block your D1 poke, just throwing out a D1 of my own which you're always going to block and give you your turn back is probably not a good idea, I tried a handful of times to try and d1 grab but couldn't get it. I have a LOT of trouble with D1 x anything. Like people yell about me not using D1 shield bash enough as beetle, but it's not from lack of trying...

So the situation wasn't just missed inputs it was me not being prepared - lack of knowledge on my part, and playing poorly by trying to contest options I shouldn't and being stupid and impatient.. instead of.just blocking and making a read and going from there.

I wonder if it's possible.to fuzzy the CW corner oh/low thing. You always block low on wakeup, I know that. A few times you hit me straight on wakeup were me trying a wakeup that I couldn't get out, or.gor stuffed and a handful of times was just my damn hands. I was holding what I thought was down back but I'd still just stand up.into a foot.

Going to lab some later and see what swamp does in that situation. He has to have something..and I need to mess with CW's corner mix thing and figure out how to identify what strings being used from the start (don't they start with similar but different buttons? Ones a high and ones a mid? - see I don't even know that) and if it's possible to fuzzy that at all.
Oh and one more thing when I play online I get poked out of 1f2 a lot and trust me these are not good players, they are just mashing buttons. How do I know they are not good? These are the players who would combo a meter burn supergirl teleport with another teleport. So sometimes mashing buttons is good lol, if you know when to mash.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
@EntropicByDesign YOU.NEED.SLEEP! Rest up buddy, however hours you need its much needed. Take your time whenever you are ready. I just might be on tonight, buuuuut maybe on my Tekken shit. But i shall be online. BUT YOU get some rest man. Promise Uncle JBeezY :)

EntropicByDesign

Ok ok, I finally got sleep. Lol. Id like to keep sleeping, but the cats have told me thats not an option by, for the last 30m, one by one coming in to walk on my damn face, stomach, groin or in Livvys case sit 6in from my face and violently attack herself.

Uggggggggggghh.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Ok ok, I finally got sleep. Lol. Id like to keep sleeping, but the cats have told me thats not an option by, for the last 30m, one by one coming in to walk on my damn face, stomach, groin or in Livvys case sit 6in from my face and violently attack herself.

Uggggggggggghh.
NOPE! FUCK THAT! The pussies can wait n chill. GET MORE REST! Dr JBeezY order!

EntropicByDesign

NOPE! FUCK THAT! The pussies can wait n chill. GET MORE REST! Dr JBeezY order!
Ha. Not gonna happen man. I'm one of those that once I'm up, I'm up. It's not s big deal though I don't have anything to do before work so all I'll have to do is rest and lounge around the house for the next 4hrs. If things play out like they should stop work tonight I should have 3-4hrs sleep waiting for me there too. We are under-booked and slower than usual, always happens before a holiday, and one entire wing is shut down. It's supposed to be cold tonight too which makes the yards easier to deal with and none of our 'guests' are super high maintenance. So unless something weird happens or there's some bizarre project awaiting me, I'll probably work for 3-4hrs, wrap up around 1230-1 then sleep till 5 when the morning shenanigans kick off.

Yesterday I got a call from a customer at 10:53 to yell at me for not letting her dog out for a scheduled extra potty at 11. She was watching since the deluxe suites have cameras... It's nice to be yelled at for not doing something at a time that hasn't happened yet. I can't get mad though, that woman will call at 2-3am and say she thinks her dog had a nightmare and ask me to go in and comfort her and sit with the dog until she falls back asleep.. I usually just use that as an excuse to take a pillow and blanket and sleep in there for an hour or so. She refuses to listen when I explain that when dogs and cats jerk and twitch on thier sleep it's typically something called 'activated sleep' and has nothing to do with bad dreams. =\

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Ha. Not gonna happen man. I'm one of those that once I'm up, I'm up. It's not s big deal though I don't have anything to do before work so all I'll have to do is rest and lounge around the house for the next 4hrs. If things play out like they should stop work tonight I should have 3-4hrs sleep waiting for me there too. We are under-booked and slower than usual, always happens before a holiday, and one entire wing is shut down. It's supposed to be cold tonight too which makes the yards easier to deal with and none of our 'guests' are super high maintenance. So unless something weird happens or there's some bizarre project awaiting me, I'll probably work for 3-4hrs, wrap up around 1230-1 then sleep till 5 when the morning shenanigans kick off.

Yesterday I got a call from a customer at 10:53 to yell at me for not letting her dog out for a scheduled extra potty at 11. She was watching since the deluxe suites have cameras... It's nice to be yelled at for not doing something at a time that hasn't happened yet. I can't get mad though, that woman will call at 2-3am and say she thinks her dog had a nightmare and ask me to go in and comfort her and sit with the dog until she falls back asleep.. I usually just use that as an excuse to take a pillow and blanket and sleep in there for an hour or so. She refuses to listen when I explain that when dogs and cats jerk and twitch on thier sleep it's typically something called 'activated sleep' and has nothing to do with bad dreams. =\
Well Alright....you know your body. As long as you take care of yourself. ;)

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Wow. That is some next level crazy right there.

I wouldn't be able to deal with that shit.

EntropicByDesign

Wow. That is some next level crazy right there.

I wouldn't be able to deal with that shit.

Its pretty wild how seriously people take their pets. We get regular requests to watch movies with their dogs, or give the dog a massage (granted a lot of times this is partially medical, hip problems are common in a lot of dog breeds and this can help them), all kinds of stuff. The current reigning champion for me was a woman who had this little dog named Zachary - you WERE NOT ALLOWED TO CALL HIM ZACH - she boarded him for three days... He was a teacup "Chorkie" which is a Chihuahua and Yorkie mix (dont get me started on people supergluing two dog breeds together, doing the same wiht the name and acting like they are genetic fucking scientists and have invented a new breed) and he came with a papoose, and he had very strict bed times, but any time he was not in bed, he had to be in that damn papoose, with one of us, being carried around. I work alone.. a 10-15hr shift depending on a few different floating factors, and over the course of my typical shifts his sleep schedule kept him down about 5 hours. The entire rest of the time, I had to have him with me, in that absurd papoose, while I went about my nightly shit. And any time I dealt with another dog, I had to take the whole rig off, and secure him to something IN THE AIR BECAUSE HE"S ANXIOUS ON THE GROUND, do whatever it was I had to do with the dog that wasnt him, then put it back on and go about my business.

Originally the woman had requested that she had one employee dedicated to him, 100% of the time, 24 hours a day. Even during his bed times, which he spent in his special crate, she wanted him to be sat with, and so on. We explained that we COULD do that, but it would entire a whole extra employee, etc, and when we presented her with the price she decided against that option.

We will do anything you want, within reason obviously, but there is damn sure a price.

All in all though that woman gave me personally a 75$ tip because she saw that every single night, no matter what, I had him, and I was "good to him and he clearly liked me". We have cameras all over the facility that customers can access almost all of - for a price - so in addition to my big ass carrying around this TINY ass dog in a big pink papoose thing slung across my chest, I have to deal with the knowledge that I'm being camera stalked by this woman.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Its pretty wild how seriously people take their pets. We get regular requests to watch movies with their dogs, or give the dog a massage (granted a lot of times this is partially medical, hip problems are common in a lot of dog breeds and this can help them), all kinds of stuff. The current reigning champion for me was a woman who had this little dog named Zachary - you WERE NOT ALLOWED TO CALL HIM ZACH - she boarded him for three days... He was a teacup "Chorkie" which is a Chihuahua and Yorkie mix (dont get me started on people supergluing two dog breeds together, doing the same wiht the name and acting like they are genetic fucking scientists and have invented a new breed) and he came with a papoose, and he had very strict bed times, but any time he was not in bed, he had to be in that damn papoose, with one of us, being carried around. I work alone.. a 10-15hr shift depending on a few different floating factors, and over the course of my typical shifts his sleep schedule kept him down about 5 hours. The entire rest of the time, I had to have him with me, in that absurd papoose, while I went about my nightly shit. And any time I dealt with another dog, I had to take the whole rig off, and secure him to something IN THE AIR BECAUSE HE"S ANXIOUS ON THE GROUND, do whatever it was I had to do with the dog that wasnt him, then put it back on and go about my business.

Originally the woman had requested that she had one employee dedicated to him, 100% of the time, 24 hours a day. Even during his bed times, which he spent in his special crate, she wanted him to be sat with, and so on. We explained that we COULD do that, but it would entire a whole extra employee, etc, and when we presented her with the price she decided against that option.

We will do anything you want, within reason obviously, but there is damn sure a price.

All in all though that woman gave me personally a 75$ tip because she saw that every single night, no matter what, I had him, and I was "good to him and he clearly liked me". We have cameras all over the facility that customers can access almost all of - for a price - so in addition to my big ass carrying around this TINY ass dog in a big pink papoose thing slung across my chest, I have to deal with the knowledge that I'm being camera stalked by this woman.
$75 is a pretty good tip.

I wouldn't be able to deal with the cameras. What happens if you need to scratch your balls?

EntropicByDesign

$75 is a pretty good tip.

I wouldn't be able to deal with the cameras. What happens if you need to scratch your balls?
Well, almost no one gets full access to the cameras. You have to pay a small fortune to get the permissions for all of them we make available. Since we opened over a year ago I can count on one hand the number of people who've opted for that package when they see the price difference, but a deluxe 'suite' comes with camera access to the room itself so you can watch your dog lick itself and sleep, and anyone with a daycare or group play package gets access to the playroom and outdoor cameras during playtime hours - so nothing to do with me.

So 99.9% of the time if I have to scratch my balls I just scratch my balls. Technically of course my boss or the owners can watch, but I can't imagine why they'd want to, and it's thier own fault if they get an eye full.

Most importantly however, the office has no camera of any kind and when they tried to put one in I literally took it down myself and confronted them all the next day and said very politely, it's that camera, or it's me. Cause that office is where I sleep most nights, it's where I relax and it's "my" space at night. They don't get to invade it in any way.

EntropicByDesign

Getting on in 30-45m or so.

Still sort of working on my secondary choice. Rex spent some quality time showing me some Catwoman stuff yesterday, and I've written off pretty much everyone except Manta (I want to give him a fair shake - I was so frustrated after the Espio sets I think I removed him prematurely), Catwoman and maybe one other. But I feel like it's down to CW or Manta.

Swampy is still there but he's for fun. I don't ever intent to play him into bad MUs or take him "seriously" as a main. I wanna git gud with him, but he's a tertiary character.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Getting on in 30-45m or so.

Still sort of working on my secondary choice. Rex spent some quality time showing me some Catwoman stuff yesterday, and I've written off pretty much everyone except Manta (I want to give him a fair shake - I was so frustrated after the Espio sets I think I removed him prematurely), Catwoman and maybe one other. But I feel like it's down to CW or Manta.

Swampy is still there but he's for fun. I don't ever intent to play him into bad MUs or take him "seriously" as a main. I wanna git gud with him, but he's a tertiary character.
Focus on Blue Beetle man lol. Work on your main 1st. Get him established then worry about that later bro lol. What good will it do to play another character when you haven't gotten your main character down? Are you able to win with him against anyone? Are you completely comfortable with him? Or whoever it is that you're wanting to play?

Also, you need to focus on improving, not winning. Don't feel frustrated playing people like Espio bro. He's been playing for a long time. When I was new in MK9, I played his Sindel & he helped me improve my Kitana besides other people. Losing is what makes you better. To improve, you have to lose. Take the bumps & keep getting feedback from players who are on the same skill level or better. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself to get better when you don't even have to. Give yourself time to grow. Fighting games are tedious. They take time. Plus, you have life that you have to consider. That comes before video games. Some fighting games take months & even years to become exceptional at depending on the character or game difficulty. Injustice is not hard, but it still takes some time. That's why it's better to have only like 3 at the most that you focus on :).

Edit: This doesn't completely pertain to you, but others here as well who have the same issues. Gotta be patient with yourself if you're really wanting to take your fighting game talent there. Point blank.

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

Focus on Blue Beetle man lol. Work on your main 1st. Get him established then worry about that later bro lol. What good will it do to play another character when you haven't gotten your main character down? Are you able to win with him against anyone? Are you completely comfortable with him? Or whoever it is that you're wanting to play?

Also, you need to focus on improving, not winning. Don't feel frustrated playing people like Espio bro. He's been playing for a long time. When I was new in MK9, I played his Sindel & he helped me improve my Kitana besides other people. Losing is what makes you better. To improve, you have to lose. Take the bumps & keep getting feedback from players who are on the same skill level or better. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself to get better when you don't even have to. Give yourself time to grow. Fighting games are tedious. They take time. Plus, you have life that you have to consider. That comes before video games. Some fighting games take months maybe even years to become exceptional at depending on the character or game difficulty. Injustice is not hard, but it still takes some time. That's why it's better to have only like 3 at the most that you focus on :).

I agree, I really do, YOU ARE RIGHT, but I know how my mind works and if I pigeonhole myself into one single character.. I dunno, it just doesn't work. I get frustrated and I feel like.. hemmed in? I know that sounds dumb, but its why I've always struggled to find and stick to one character. I want to give myself two characters - Swamp doesn't really count, hes just for when I want to be stupid.. Like poking after -13.. cough - so I can move around some between them if I feel frustrated or just need a small break from failing to flight cancel and screaming at my cats lol.

And you're right, I dont need to try and win. I just need to try hard enough to interest the person Im playing. The way I learn is by focusing on one aspect at a time, heavily, to the detriment of most others. I stick with that aspect a while and move on, and as I do the little pieces sort of fold in to my game and become more natural. The downside to this is that when I'm focusing on, say, AAing and converting off it or something, I'm not clashing or using interactables, or playing other aspects of the game, and that can kinda frustrate and piss off your opponent, unless they are there under the express understanding that I'm up to something specific.

EntropicByDesign

Sorry, I was on this morning, but not really. Just had my ai guy running swamp thing multiverse. Sick kitten so I wasn't playing any.

Kitten at vet though. Have some crap to do but will be on for games tonight.