What's new

Tech The Flying Ninja Vortex

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
i was trying to do the vortex, but i can only seem to get the Ji1 to crossup only after 123, i can't get it to NOT crossup, what am i doing wrong?

First, try it on a non-female, non-massive character.
After the knockdown, try to jump early out of the dash, and use Ji1 as DS begins to fall from his jump. Remember to buffer the 132 right when Ji1 hits if you want it to combo (should be 4 hits after 132).

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
First, try it on a non-female, non-massive character.
After the knockdown, try to jump early out of the dash, and use Ji1 as DS begins to fall from his jump. Remember to buffer the 132 right when Ji1 hits if you want it to combo (should be 4 hits after 132).
sooo it doesnt work on girls?

i was trying to jump earlier but it crossed up everytime x.x

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
sooo it doesnt work on girls?

i was trying to jump earlier but it crossed up everytime x.x

It does, but it's a bit trickier (due to their typically smaller hitboxes), which is why I recommend you start with a male. I explain in the video how to do it on even Catwoman (who as far as I know has the smallest hitbox).

Axel_Redd

It does, but it's a bit trickier (due to their typically smaller hitboxes), which is why I recommend you start with a male. I explain in the video how to do it on even Catwoman (who as far as I know has the smallest hitbox).
alright, just at the current time i have it easier doing it with ji3, but i'll watch the vid again.

and the jump in system is really stupid compared to mk9 -.-

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
alright, just at the current time i have it easier doing it with ji3, but i'll watch the vid again.

and the jump in system is really stupid compared to mk9 -.-

What's wrong with it? It feels about the same to me, especially for DS who's jump feels like it was taken right from MK9.

Axel_Redd

What's wrong with it? It feels about the same to me, especially for DS who's jump feels like it was taken right from MK9.
the fact that u cant really hit confirm the jump in, and that aa is really damn hard.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
the fact that u cant really hit confirm the jump in, and that aa is really damn hard.

You hit confirm from a jump in the exact same way you do in MK9. Both MK9 and Injustice have this peculiar system in which if you wish to combo out of an air move, you need to cancel your air move into the next move at the time it hits, not when you land.

AA is relatively wasy for DS though. His flip makes a great AA. I pretty much don't bother with any other moves to AA.

Axel_Redd

You hit confirm from a jump in the exact same way you do in MK9. Both MK9 and Injustice have this peculiar system in which if you wish to combo out of an air move, you need to cancel your air move into the next move at the time it hits, not when you land.

AA is relatively wasy for DS though. His flip makes a great AA. I pretty much don't bother with any other moves to AA.
thing is, aa'ing people like Dick or Catwoman is a bitch x-x. and as for hitconfirming jump ins...more often than not it feels like i have to commit to whatever i was going to do rather than being able to hitconfirm in order for it to connect.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
thing is, aa'ing people like Dick or Catwoman is a bitch x-x. and as for hitconfirming jump ins...more often than not it feels like i have to commit to whatever i was going to do rather than being able to hitconfirm in order for it to connect.

Most of the strings you'd want to hitconfirm from a jump in are safe anyways. B1U2, 132, 32, all safe.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I'm fairly certain 132 isn't. B1 and 3 I'm not 100% sure on, but I'm thinking not.
None of them can be interrupted. B1U2 could before the game was released though.

I feel silly when I find stuff like this in the beginning days(mine was with sword flip though) and I just don't experiment at all. ;_; Mikman360 you da bes, mane

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
None of them can be interrupted. B1U2 could before the game was released though.

I feel silly when I find stuff like this in the beginning days(mine was with sword flip though) and I just don't experiment at all. ;_; Mikman360 you da bes, mane

Good to know. :D

Gixxerkid66

ChadtheDad412
so i picked up and started doing this the other day and it was working like a charm...following the most recent patch that allows wakeups on first available frame i am having no luck with it anymore lol. Is this vortex still possible?

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
This vortex never really fully stuffed wakeups, and was built more around the fact that it could avoid a LOT of them, allowing you to punish.

I'd just like to add that B2,2,2 sets up the same type of vortex the only difference is you need to cancel your dash with a jump ASAP (pretty easy just hold JFas soon as you dash), and press 1 right before you hit the ground and it will hit in the front while J2 will crossup. Avoids everything but anti air throws.

If you do not cancel dash with jump the 1 will cross up and 2 will whiff.

Also 1 of 132 can be interrupted by a low since it is high so f2-3 hit conform into SF or run frame trap on block is the safest follow up you can do if you run into that situation.

Also cross up 1 into b2 or b1 u2 into stage bounce for great justice if your opponent can block your cross up attempts. You basically make your 50/50 into two 50/50s. The odds of winning two 50/50 coin flips is actually 23%.

Or 50/50, frame trap 50/50, its pretty awesome.

I'd add that a well ranged F3 frame trap with or w/o armor into b2 or b1 mixup is also extremely viable especially since you can wait to see if your opponent will try a wakeup.

Off a B2 or 123 you just walk forward until the wakeup animation of the opponent starts then you charge it should setup at maximum length perfectly. Off a SF combo ender dash then walk until their wakeup animation starts then F3. Same type of setup extremely easy to buffer and thus execute.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I'd just like to add that B2,2,2 sets up the same type of vortex the only difference is you need to cancel your dash with a jump ASAP (pretty easy just hold JFas soon as you dash), and press 1 right before you hit the ground and it will hit in the front while J2 will crossup. Avoids everything but anti air throws.

If you do not cancel dash with jump the 1 will cross up and 2 will whiff.
:confused: is that so? Interesting stuff... I want to toy with Ji2 crossups in the lab now. So you're saying that Ji1 doesn't cross, Ji2 does, both with the same timing?

Also 1 of 132 can be interrupted by a low since it is high so f2-3 hit conform into SF or run frame trap on block is the safest follow up you can do if you run into that situation.
Hmm this is true. I forgot about this. The opponent will have to go from a stand block into a crouch block and retaliate quickly however since Ji anything hits overhead.

Also cross up 1 into b2 or b1 u2 into stage bounce for great justice if your opponent can block your cross up attempts. You basically make your 50/50 into two 50/50s. The odds of winning two 50/50 coin flips is actually 23%.
Yeah I've always thought stage bounces would be good for DS. It's the only thing Ferris Aircraft lacks to make it DS's paradise :(
We've got Atlantis though.

Off a B2 or 123 you just walk forward until the wakeup animation of the opponent starts then you charge it should setup at maximum length perfectly. Off a SF combo ender dash then walk until their wakeup animation starts then F3. Same type of setup extremely easy to buffer and thus execute.

This would be dependent on the wakeup options they have, but these kind of footsies sound great. My only issue here is that a ma ranged F3 on block can be hard to follow up sometimes due to the large pushback.

Good stuff man.

:confused: is that so? Interesting stuff... I want to toy with Ji2 crossups in the lab now. So you're saying that Ji1 doesn't cross, Ji2 does, both with the same timing?
Same jump in timing I believe you have to input the J2 a little earlier the J1 has to be input really really late.

I believe a J2 will also crossup if they block your F23 and you buffer jump by just holding up forward off the string.

The F3 setup requires a lot of testing because I just started using it at local tournament/casuals yesterday and nobody blew it up but then again nobody had seen it yet. I had only been using j1 cross up and b2 as a follow ups. (everybody really respects the b1)

But imo even if it could be blown up spending 1 bar for armor so you can frame trap is worth it, and it may be quite possible that you can time it to hit after an opponents invincible frames where off.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Same jump in timing I believe you have to input the J2 a little earlier the J1 has to be input really really late.

I believe a J2 will also crossup if they block your F23 and you buffer jump by just holding up forward off the string.

The F3 setup requires a lot of testing because I just started using it at local tournament/casuals yesterday and nobody blew it up but then again nobody had seen it yet. I had only been using j1 cross up and b2 as a follow ups. (everybody really respects the b1)

But imo even if it could be blown up spending 1 bar for armor so you can frame trap is worth it, and it may be quite possible that you can time it to hit after an opponents invincible frames where off.

I just tested this, and I was able to crossup and fake crossup with Ji2 depending on timing. So this vortex actually works BOTH ways with Ji2, but I think I'll stick to Ji1 for its hitbox and consistency.

Also, are you suggesting F3 into crossup Ji1? I'm pretty sure the opponent has a lot of time to do stuff if you jump. F23 is still reliable though.

Hmmm I'm not sure I have been punished after jumping after a blocked F3 that I can recall other than grundy, dd, bane airthrow type moves.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Maybe not punish, but they can pretty much do whatever they want. I've seen my opponents just do attack strings that move them forwards and they've escaped.

LALD.NET

Noob
after playing a killer frost online, i noticed she seems to be able to slide out of this set up? more testing needed, will report back with findings.

edit - ok so what i noticed was that she can use her slide on wake up and definitely escape this, leaving her about a dash away from you, in which case after landing from your jump all the moves I tested "low guns, high guns, df3, b3" will not hit her if she chooses to block.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
after playing a killer frost online, i noticed she seems to be able to slide out of this set up? more testing needed, will report back with findings.

edit - ok so what i noticed was that she can use her slide on wake up and definitely escape this, leaving her about a dash away from you, in which case after landing from your jump all the moves I tested "low guns, high guns, df3, b3" will not hit her if she chooses to block.
Yeah. Frost can escape his oki pretty easily, unfortunately. One of the things that makes it a poor match for DS. It's still possible to back jump 3 her and beat the slide if she does it, though.

I finally was able to land the flying ninja vortex consistently last night, still have issues with completing my combo strings :p this has totally changed the way I play. Now to just stop getting mauled by Aquaman's D2 -_-

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I still can't get this consistently. Sometimes I can land in front, but majority of the time I land behind them. I just can't get the timing down. :(