What's new

Tech The Flying Ninja Vortex

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
While I do understand your logic, some things just BARELY work sometimes, which puts me under the impression that they werent actually thought of during development. This is one of them. Getting this isn't as easy as comboing F23, F23 xx Super Breath as Superman.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There's a version of this also where even if they block the jump-in, you do a low (d1) linked to something.. Can't remember what it was, but if they correctly block the crossup they have to block low afterwards or they get sent packing again. Someone did it to me the other day -- you can throw it in the middle of this vortex against someone who's blocking high to really play some mindgames.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
There's a version of this also where even if they block the jump-in, you do a low (d1) linked to something.. Can't remember what it was, but if they correctly block the crossup they have to block low afterwards or they get sent packing again. Someone did it to me the other day -- you can throw it in the middle of this vortex against someone who's blocking high to really play some mindgames.
D1 xx Sword Flip
D1 xx MB Sword Spin Low
D1 xx MB Sword Spin, Sword Flip

One of those? Those all lead to hard knockdowns, but are unsafe if the sword moves are blocked.

EDIT: Wait wait, someone did this to you? Well then... I'm proud of the DS community :D

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
D1 xx Sword Flip
D1 xx MB Sword Spin Low
D1 xx MB Sword Spin, Sword Flip

One of those? Those all lead to hard knockdowns, but are unsafe if the sword moves are blocked.

EDIT: Wait wait, someone did this to you? Well then... I'm proud of the DS community :D
Disadvantage or unsafe? -3 is disadvantage, for instance. -6+ is unsafe (punishable).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Disadvantage or unsafe? -3 is disadvantage, for instance. -6+ is unsafe (punishable).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Unsafe. Flip is incredibly unsafe, full combo punishable. Spin is safeish (-7 frames, safe enough), both Spin MBs are unsafe.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
You can, but B222's HKD scales a bit harder than 123. Just a warning.

Let me elaborate D1 into B2 does wonders for my footsie game.It a nice low, overhead mix ups and catches alot of people off guard.You can do D1 b2,2,2 or you can shorten it up with just a B2 and if they block they might be expecting the rest of the string while they are in limbo you can throw out a B1U2 for that overhead, low.I have so many ideas now;)

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Let me elaborate D1 into B2 does wonders for my footsie game.It a nice low, overhead mix ups and catches alot of people off guard.You can do D1 b2,2,2 or you can shorten it up with just a B2 and if they block they might be expecting the rest of the string while they are in limbo you can throw out a B1U2 for that overhead, low.I have so many ideas now;)
Oh certainly, dont I know it. Also, remember since B222 is special cancellable and hits O-M-O, you can replace the last hit with a LGS for a O-M-L hit string. Dirty no?

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Oh certainly, dont I know it. Also, remember since B222 is special cancellable and hits O-M-O, you can replace the last hit with a LGS for a O-M-L hit string. Dirty no?
Dirty is a understatement thats filthy.........I like it!!!!

Exblackman

Zoning since fighting games began.
I've been testing the advantage of this move on block against flash's rising uppercut( ever since I saw this thread....) Flash uppercut cannot punish flying knee on block even you hit the very tip back part of his head so this move is at least + 6 on block which means if they block this and didn't reversal you or jump you can get a pretty safe grab attempt.

Edit Also tested this on Superman with Kryptonian rush set as a reversal.If knee reaches chest level can add Foward 2 without superman being able to interrupt with super till after which supports +6 on block theory .

Coddfish

Noob
Dirt on Dirt on Dirt:

Anywhere on screen, you can dash under B1U2 to change direction of your combo. By using this, you can sacrifice some damage to keep your Flying Ninja going the same direction towards a corner, despite combos starting on different sides. Now, instead of just an annoying mixup to get some damage, you can use the Flying Ninja as a fairly reliable way to get your opponent into the corner to proceed with the Corner of Death vortex or just more reliable damage.

So, you can do: JI1, B1U2, dash under, 123 for 22% and a HKD to keep the vortex going, but this may not be optimised.
If, after the JI1 (crossup or fake), your opponent has their back to the closest corner, just go with whatever combo->HKD option you would have.

If you have meter to burn, you can also use bounce cancels for the same purpose and to put more pressure on them to block correctly. JI1, B1~DFMB hits O-L-O, and will let you combo into vortex off any of the hits (JI1, B1~DFMB, 123 does 25% with a HKD, and may not be optimised). Even if they block correctly, you're still have F3's stupid block advantage to keep up pressure.
If they start wising up to the O-L-O string, you can do JI1, B1D3 or JI1, B1~LGS to turn it into a O-L-L-(L) string, although both those options are wildly unsafe on block (B1D3 at least -14, LGS has about a week of recovery now) and will end your vortex even on hit.

Short version: use B1U2 to change direction of your combo, and then use Flying Ninja to push your opponent into a corner for the more damaging, harder to escape Corner of Death vortex.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Dirt on Dirt on Dirt:

Anywhere on screen, you can dash under B1U2 to change direction of your combo. By using this, you can sacrifice some damage to keep your Flying Ninja going the same direction towards a corner, despite combos starting on different sides. Now, instead of just an annoying mixup to get some damage, you can use the Flying Ninja as a fairly reliable way to get your opponent into the corner to proceed with the Corner of Death vortex or just more reliable damage.

So, you can do: JI1, B1U2, dash under, 123 for 22% and a HKD to keep the vortex going, but this may not be optimised.
If, after the JI1 (crossup or fake), your opponent has their back to the closest corner, just go with whatever combo->HKD option you would have.

If you have meter to burn, you can also use bounce cancels for the same purpose and to put more pressure on them to block correctly. JI1, B1~DFMB hits O-L-O, and will let you combo into vortex off any of the hits (JI1, B1~DFMB, 123 does 25% with a HKD, and may not be optimised). Even if they block correctly, you're still have F3's stupid block advantage to keep up pressure.
If they start wising up to the O-L-O string, you can do JI1, B1D3 or JI1, B1~LGS to turn it into a O-L-L-(L) string, although both those options are wildly unsafe on block (B1D3 at least -14, LGS has about a week of recovery now) and will end your vortex even on hit.

Short version: use B1U2 to change direction of your combo, and then use Flying Ninja to push your opponent into a corner for the more damaging, harder to escape Corner of Death vortex.

Coincidentally, I've been experimenting with the same mixup strings you mentioned. JiL/M into B1 into MB F3. It's pretty worth it if you ask me for insane mixup pressure, a strong combo, and stupid advantage even on block. Sure you could go for the O-L-L, but the advantage on block seems worthwhile to me since you can apply even more pressure after.

I've still gotta practice B1U2, dash, 1, 323 though. The timing is tough. I don't think I'll be getting it online any time soon. F3 is easy though.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i was trying to do the vortex, but i can only seem to get the Ji1 to crossup only after 123, i can't get it to NOT crossup, what am i doing wrong?