What's new

Tech The Flying Ninja Vortex

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Here's the video of the vortex expansion that I was talking about in that "Possible Meterless Vortex" thread. J360 posted the first video, this method is a bit safer (Sword Flip is punishable on block, 132 is not), more damaging, and has a bit more reliable knockback.

Just a few notes:

It's always possible to combo after Ji1 (unless you land it on the way up) with any normal move that's not B3 and F3. It feels odd but you have to input your follow up move immediately after landing 1, no matter how far from the ground you are.

If the opponent jumps as you attempt this, Ji1 will STILL hit them in the air. From there, you can choose to do 323, F23, xx Sword Flip for damage, or restart the vortex with 123.

Get a feel for how the dash-jump timing works. You can't jump too early out of the dash unless it's a small character. You must let the dash move Deathstroke a bit out.

Edit2: Here's some dash testing that DaiHuu did. Props to him!

Ninja Vortex Escape:
Non cross-up=Opposing player can back dash, but cannot forward dash
cross-up= Opposing player can forward dash, but cannot back dash
Wake-ups: Black Adam's cage, Grundy's AA throw, and Doomsday's supernova can escape the vortex clean, everyone else can be punished due to them whiffing.

Ninja Vortex gimmick on smaller characters:
Non cross up and you block the right way=Deathstroke stays on the same side

Non Cross up and you block the wrong way=Deathstroke switches sides

Edit: USE THIS ****. WE JUST GOT NERFED AND WE NEED TO STAY STRONG.

D

Deleted member 9158

Good find there, nice tech.

See this deathscrubs? this is what you need to be doing. I knew this character had rushdown capabilities.

Good stuff, Aris came up with this "vortex" weeks ago. It's in one of his videos on youtube. Only difference is that aris was doing DS's J3 instead.

EDIT: Just saw the end where you mentioned Aris LOL.

DGOD PSYCHO

#YOLOSWAGMUFFIN
This shit is amazing. thanks Mikman360 I have deathstroke as one of my mains. I will learn this in my spare time.
I bet you other characters have shit like this.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Glad you guys like the video.

With the incoming Slade nerfs, it's our duty as DS players to find more dirt like this. I'm currently working on a new video featuring a vortex in the corner for DS with the theories crafted by Coddfish. I'll be posting it sometime this week hopefully. He's still got some really nice tools up close. We've just scratched the surface.

KidGrave

The Real Red Hood
Could you you Ji3 instead of Ji1 or is it not as consistent? The only drawback I see is that its a bit harder to confirm off a Ji3, are there any other downsides to this?

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Could you you Ji3 instead of Ji1 or is it not as consistent? The only drawback I see is that its a bit harder to confirm off a Ji3, are there any other downsides to this?
That's how the vortex originally started. Look at the last part of my video. It does less damage but it works.

Vagrant

Noob
I pulled an all nighter last night practicing this and using it against randoms online.

I love it.

Backdashes are a problem though.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
good stuff..... Im telling DSTROKE is still scary as hell to fight and his Tier Positioning is not complete... He was better than Mid Tier to say the least

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I found that (In the corner at least, that's what I tested.) you can punish Sinestro for waking up with his Arachnid sting. You hit him out of it and can hit confirm into the usual. (I tested this with SF, dash, ji.1)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
This is how DS was always meant to be played, at a fast pace. Moderate zoning and counter-zoning with guns, advantage strings into mix ups/vortex, hard knockdowns into trait for free damage and then back in to fuck them up some more.

Not a fullscreen lockdown character that oops also has serious rushdown and safe vortex set ups.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
This is how DS was always meant to be played, at a fast pace. Moderate zoning and counter-zoning with guns, advantage strings into mix ups/vortex, hard knockdowns into trait for free damage and then back in to fuck them up some more.

Not a fullscreen lockdown character that oops also has serious rushdown and safe vortex set ups.
I highly doubt NRS knew DS would have these vortexes. Hard knockdown =/= free trait. Nothing does now except for D2.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I highly doubt NRS knew DS would have these vortexes. Hard knockdown =/= free trait. Nothing does now except for D2.
so it's a coincidence that 132 and swordflip both have hard knockdowns and leave you at the perfect distance for a dash > ambiguous jump 1?

come on man, that's like it being a coincidence that Ryu gets a perfect safe jump on 4 frame reversals by just holding up/forward after landing a sweep.

Vagrant

Noob
so it's a coincidence that 132 and swordflip both have hard knockdowns and leave you at the perfect distance for an ambiguous jump 1?

123 you mean

And I don't think NRS intended this... They can't even keep release a patch or balance a game without adding 8 more problems...

Hard for me to believe they put that much thought into him.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
so it's a coincidence that 132 and swordflip both have hard knockdowns and leave you at the perfect distance for a dash > ambiguous jump 1?

come on man, that's like it being a coincidence that Ryu gets a perfect safe jump on 4 frame reversals by just holding up/forward after landing a sweep.
How were the supposed to know that they delay in jump 1 was the cause of the ambiguousity? And if you toy with it yourself, you'll realize how finicky his dash is with this. You have to let the dash linger for a bit. I doubt they had that in mind when creating his dash too.

Ji1 was probably designed to be like Ji3 with a higher combo potential at the cost of some range.

If you ask me, the hard knockdowns were designed to let Deathstroke get away again and re-establish his keepaway game. You know you can Sword Flip, back dash, and low shots for garunteed chip, right?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
How were the supposed to know that they delay in jump 1 was the cause of the ambiguousity? And if you toy with it yourself, you'll realize how finicky his dash is with this. You have to let the dash linger for a bit. I doubt they had that in mind when creating his dash too.

Ji1 was probably designed to be like Ji3 with a higher combo potential at the cost of some range.

If you ask me, the hard knockdowns were designed to let Deathstroke get away again and re-establish his keepaway game. You know you can Sword Flip, back dash, and low shots for garunteed chip, right?
Then why did they nerf his chip?

Do you play any non NRS games? It's not like they create fighting games in a vacuum; Paulo and the others have studied the hell out of other games. Street Fighter 4 in particular is filled with intended post-knockdown setups for ambiguous cross ups and safe jumps. So much so that it's kind of overkill when people exploit that system

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
123 you mean

And I don't think NRS intended this... They can't even keep release a patch or balance a game without adding 8 more problems...

Hard for me to believe they put that much thought into him.
so, you're playing a game where you don't believe thought was put into character designs they just thought up moves at will and threw them at a dart board to see who got them?

I firmly believe that all programming bugs we see are a result of the game being built on the wack-ass unreal engine

Vagrant

Noob
so, you're playing a game where you don't believe thought was put into character designs they just thought up moves at will and threw them at a dart board to see who got them?

I firmly believe that all programming bugs we see are a result of the game being built on the wack-ass unreal engine

I understand and respect your opinion.

To be honest man I've done so much arguing on this site since yesterday that even a respectful debate with you about this would probably just piss me off... I'm just drained today man.. Not trying to ignore you...