What's new

Breakthrough - Grandmaster The Eulogy of Thomas Brady: R.I.P. SubZero 2011-2015

Tom also spent 2 bars to do that.
actually he spent 0 bars to do it. It was meterless. He also in the same game hit a 34% meterless combo. So please stop telling me that the damage is relevant. Unless you're giving sub 50% combos you're still killing in 3-4 touches. Even Cassie with her 40% is killing in 3. So please, please, please stop talking about the hitbox like its a super urgent fix sub needs.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
actually he spent 0 bars to do it. It was meterless. He also in the same game hit a 34% meterless combo. So please stop telling me that the damage is relevant. Unless you're giving sub 50% combos you're still killing in 3-4 touches. Even Cassie with her 40% is killing in 3. So please, please, please stop talking about the hitbox like its a super urgent fix sub needs.
MKX has much more damage application than just combo vs combo. You can often rake up as much as a full combo would do and obviously any amount between, by neutral game pokes projectiles pressure and blocked combos, in the space of a single round alone. The fact that he lost some rounds by the difference that a proper combo would have had, should tell you this alone. The damage difference can matter immensely.

Last edited:
MKX has much more damage application than just combo vs combo. You can often rake up as much as a full combo would do and obviously any amount between, by neutral game pokes projectiles pressure and blocked combos, in the space of a single round alone. The fact that he lost some rounds by the difference that a proper combo would have had his opponent dead, should tell you this alone. The damage difference can matter immensely.
Yes. It can matter. But so can a million other aspects of the character/matchup. Brady lost because he made some questionable plays and dropped combos he shouldn't have dropped and got flustered. His dmg wasn't the issue, his level of practice at a high level and his mental strength were.

Would sub be better if he got more dmg on combos? Yes. Is sub bad now? Absolutely not(gm). The matchup was 5.5/4.5 at worst.

Wigy

There it is...
Lbsh, only sonic can do iags like that, u really cant complain about difficulty in subzeros game when the other player is doing possibly the hardest special in the game consistently under pressure.

God Confirm

Yes. It can matter. But so can a million other aspects of the character/matchup. Brady lost because he made some questionable plays and dropped combos he shouldn't have dropped and got flustered. His dmg wasn't the issue, his level of practice at a high level and his mental strength were.

Would sub be better if he got more dmg on combos? Yes. Is sub bad now? Absolutely not(gm). The matchup was 5.5/4.5 at worst.
And that my friend, is the textbook definition of a Strawman fallacy. I didn't say any of that. I'm not saying the character needs more damage, or that TB lost because his character is harder to play. I think that if he had the control and level of execution that Sonic had, he would have done much better, because Sub high damage corner combos against females are HARD yo. But, the same thing could be said about Sonic, playing Cassie against Clone is HARD unless you can iAG like that, Sonic brought the execution that TB couldn't match, the better player won, TB got outplayed, no two ways about it.

However the only thing I responded to that you said, was a post stating that the damage difference in the two combo's makes no difference because "you still kill in the same amount of combos" and thats an objectively flawed way of looking at it.

And that my friend, is the textbook definition of a Strawman fallacy. I didn't say any of that. I'm not saying the character needs more damage, or that TB lost because his character is harder to play. I think that if he had the control and level of execution that Sonic had, he would have done much better, because Sub high damage corner combos against females are HARD yo. But, the same thing could be said about Sonic, playing Cassie against Clone is HARD unless you can iAG like that, Sonic brought the execution that TB couldn't match, the better player won, TB got outplayed, no two ways about it.

However the only thing I responded to that you said, was a post stating that the damage difference in the two combo's makes no difference because "you still kill in the same amount of combos" and thats an objectively flawed way of looking at it.
Well, aside from your misuse of the term straw man argument I'll accept that. However my statement was in response to people saying subs dmg is why he lost, in an ideal scenario both sub and Cassie kill in the same number of combos was my point. Obviously the neutral game exists.

God Confirm

Well, aside from your misuse of the term straw man argument I'll accept that. However my statement was in response to people saying subs dmg is why he lost, in an ideal scenario both sub and Cassie kill in the same number of combos was my point. Obviously the neutral game exists.
People are saying Sub going with his significantly lower damage "female" specific combos contributed to his loss as his BnBs become extremely high level execution against female characters, people were not saying that his hardest execution corner BnBs don't do enough damage. Also, while I do agree with the core of what you are saying, comparing combo damage in an ideal situation is COMPLETELY irrelevant in MULTIPLE ways, and doesn't actually support the argument that you are trying to make. Saying that Sub going with his lower damage combos makes "no difference" just because it still hits 100% in the same AMOUNT of perfect combo's is also absolutely incorrect. Nobody except Quan kills in less than 3 combos in ideal situations, and nobody in the game needs more than 3 ideal combos to kill, so this being your justification for saying that his lowered damage has no bearing on anything, is absolutely ridiculous and is just more of your Sub Zero tears. It's also exactly the same as saying Tempest would be just as strong if his 45% combos got scaled down to 33% combos just because it still kills in the same amount of hits. That's not how we measure the usefulness of damage the difference between 33% and 45% is massive, and in this situation I believe you were actually talking about the difference between 27% and 45% so even worse. It's just nonsense that you are spewing to be entirely honest with you.

Also I'm just wondering how what you said isn't a Strawman, you composed your argument against me by attempting to disprove a bunch of things that I never said or agreed with, I made one specific statement disagreeing with one specific point you made, on the rest I believe we were in agreement

Last edited:

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
I can't even count how many times I predicted a match would slip through Toms fingers. /end hyperbole

Jokes aside some of those matches hurt to watch, because Tom would have such a commanding life lead and then just lose it all. One thing that did annoy me about that set was when Tom had clone out and Fox used IAGs, not once did I see him duck the shot then slide to catch Cassie's landing frames. Yes there were occasions where Fox made the read and caught Subs recovery frames, but you gotta keep the guy honest somehow. Regardless that's neither here nor there. Fox is a great player, Tom let a few matches escape him, and anytime a player starts stackin up the Ws, it's hard to gain the momentum back. Toms still a great player and an absolute lab monster. I'd like to see him play Fox more, he would certainly level up from it.

Hi Guys. I watched the match and I enjoyed it very much as a starter Grandmaster player.

Brady played very well and lot of rounds were very close. I do not really see the point of the negative comments on Brady.
Especially because Sonic Fox was very good too it was a great match.

Brady inspires me to play Grandmaster (I just started) and I think I am not the only one here. :)

Commentary (on youtube version) was pretty bad and annoying though (for me lol), I did not enjoy the constant shouting cheering for Cassie during the whole match lol.

Last edited: