What's new

The Ed Boon Twitter Watch Thread

Lokheit

Noob
Very interesting. I thought that this was a random corpse weaving around this blood pool. We can't rule out that Quan Chi resurrected the other warriors. It's highly possible that Quan Chi will resurrect Shao Khan, Kotal Khan's father.
Shao Kahn is not Kotal Kahn's father. Kahn is a title, Kotal's father was killed by Goro during the civil war. Mileena wouldn't even have a claim to the throne if Kotal was a natural heir.

Lokheit

Noob
Tho it does show that Quan has the capacity (and possibly mind set) to do that
Endings might not be canon but many of them either confirm stuff (Smoke origins and Jerrod soul inside Ermac for example) or hint about the future (the 4 new warriors in Raiden ending, Subbie and Scorps finally at peace, Scorpion getting revenge against Quan Chi).

One thing that surprised me about Quan's portrayal during MKX story is how despite always being shown as treacherous and plotting to backstab everyone for power, in the story he takes a great effort to resurrect Shinokh and even sacrifices himself for the task. He looked like a loyal zealot which was surprising.

It would be interesting if the Shao Kahn at the end of MK9 was just a flesh clone and Quan had the real one as a revenant. It wouldn't be the first time Shao Kahn escapes death via cloning (that's how his comeback was explained after Deadly Alliance).

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Tho it does show that Quan has the capacity (and possibly mind set) to do that
I never said it wasn't possible, anything is possible. Jax just "woke up" from being dead and walked out of hell and went on to live a totally normal life. Like, that's an insane thing that no part of MK canon has previously allowed, but here we are, it happened.

I'm just saying there are no dots that connect and make that monster a Shao Kahn clone except that a lot of people seem to want it to happen.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Shao Kahn is not Kotal Kahn's father. Kahn is a title, Kotal's father was killed by Goro during the civil war. Mileena wouldn't even have a claim to the throne if Kotal was a natural heir.
Well, I thought that being a king and a emperor was a title. I remember that Khan is also a surname from Genghis Khan. Never thought that it would also be a title.

trufenix

bye felicia
One thing that surprised me about Quan's portrait during MKX story is how despite always being shown as treacherous and plotting to backstab everyone for power, in the story he takes a great effort to resurrect Shinokh and even sacrifices himself for the task. He looked like a loyal zealot which was surprising.
Other than his final betrayal in MK4/G (which technically never happened, see: ending rule) his commitment was always the same. We just have more words now.

The only people he has really canon burned are Sub and Scorp and Shao and Shang, which has remained consistent across both stories.

trufenix

bye felicia
Well, I thought that being a king and a emperor was a title. I remember that Khan is also a surname from Genghis Khan. Never thought that it would also be a title.
There isn't a rule about the Kahn thing. Neither Onaga, Jerrod, Sindel, or even Mileena ever went by Kahn. And all the references to Shao Kahn's past say he was Shao Kahn, not just Shao or some other name.

If it is a title, that tradition was invented by Kotal, which I'm only accepting because Boon said it a number of times when introducing the character. His father's name was Kotal K'etz, which leads me to believe Kotal took his oshtekk family name and Shao's family name to sort of legitimize his rule. It's not too far off from ancient civilizations that claimed names or property (or even people) in conquest.

Lokheit

Noob
Other than his final betrayal in MK4/G (which technically never happened, see: ending rule) his commitment was always the same. We just have more words now.

The only people he has really canon burned are Sub and Scorp and Shao and Shang, which has remained consistent across both stories.
Technically he did backstab Shinokh in the original timeline by replacing the kamidogu with a fake one (leading to his ultimate defeat as he wasn't as powerful as he thought) and keeping the real one for himself (which is confirmed by Onaga looking for it at the beginning of Deception). Basically he has backstabbed at least once any character that has trusted or allied with him. That's why I found surprising how loyal he was to Shinokh this time.

There isn't a rule about the Kahn thing. Neither Onaga, Jerrod, Sindel, or even Mileena ever went by Kahn. And all the references to Shao Kahn's past say he was Shao Kahn, not just Shao or some other name.
Jerrod was the ruler of Edenia, not Outworld. There is one more reference which is Mileena empress costume name: Kahnum which seems to be indicative of Kahnum being the term for empire (or whatever you call multiple worlds fused together) and therefor Kahn would be the equivalent of emperor.

It's true that this is something introduced/retconned in this game and that there are holes (only Onaga really, who we haven't seen as a consolidated ruler so we don't know if he was refered as Kahn or not) but it seems to be the direction the writters have taken. It still might be as you said, Kotal introducing the tradition, but Mileena apparently had the same idea then.

trufenix

bye felicia
That's why I found surprising how loyal he was to Shinokh this time.
There's no reason the same doesn't apply now. In the original timeline, Quan only revealed his betrayal after Shinnok had defeated everybody. This time around that never happened, so who knows if the amulet bait and switch is still in effect.

There is one more reference which is Mileena empress costume name: Kahnum
I mean, yeah but most of the costume names are nonsense like the endings. The game has no tournament but tons of the guys have tournament gear, Mileena's not a vampire, Reptile's not a Kraken, Raiden's not Cyber. etc.

It's true that this is something introduced/retconned in this game.
I was hoping for it to, because I thought this was going to be the first game where we really get a look at how Outworld fucking works. I was ready to accept all sort of retcons and changes, but in the end mkx's story was a big let down. No where near as crisp and concise as Injustice and MK9 were.

Lokheit

Noob
I mean, yeah but most of the costume names are nonsense like the endings. The game has no tournament but tons of the guys have tournament gear, Mileena's not a vampire, Reptile's not a Kraken, Raiden's not Cyber. etc.
As a rule I consider DLC costumes as either non canon or classic skins, but the ones in the core game seem to be all canon (tournament costumes being simply what those characters wore during the tournament on the previous game, as most of them are the same recycled costume) and Mileena used the Kahnum one when she was empress during the story (and didn't wear it while she was the rebellion leader).

As a rule I consider DLC costumes as either non canon or classic skins, but the ones in the core game seem to be all canon (tournament costumes being simply what those characters wore during the tournament on the previous game, as most of them are the same recycled costume) and Mileena used the Kahnum one when she was empress during the story (and didn't wear it while she was the rebellion leader).
Human Sub-Zero is best sub-zero

leoj89

Noob
Tanya kalls her by here full name in one of her intros. She was officially a Kahn for short amount of time.