What's new

Strategy The Boy Wonder! -- Nightwing General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitsu

Noob
Just use your speed for Escrima. Walk, dash your way in without getting too reckless. His j3 is one of the best in the game, canceling into Wing Dings is easy damage and hard to deal with. Do NOT be brainless with it however, as I've learned. If the opponent blocks both (or even just gets hit by Wing Ding) standing and you're floating down in front of them you can and likely will get full combo punished. But the j3 is there and is damn near unbeatable in the air.

You also have his b2, near half screen overhead that leads to decent combos. And any string into Ground Spark Dash Cancel, risky but if you made your opponent afraid of pressing buttons, deadly.

I'll have to use Staff more in general to get used to it.

Now another question. What is everyone doing off of throws? I'm having trouble maintaining my momentum after I land one.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Does the guide have anything noteworthy for nightwing at all?
~Edit: like good pressure strings or frame traps?
The PRIMA Guide is worthless for Nightwing. None of the listed combos break 39% which is laughable considering 39% is achievable on a B11DF2 starter punish.

Seriously, there was no effort on the Nightwing portion. Buyers remorse like I've never known. I learned just as much by pressing buttons as I did by reading the guide.

Saitsu I'm struggling with grab follow ups as well. I usually go for F213>DB3 and look for a hard knockdown.

Just use your speed for Escrima. Walk, dash your way in without getting too reckless. His j3 is one of the best in the game, canceling into Wing Dings is easy damage and hard to deal with. Do NOT be brainless with it however, as I've learned. If the opponent blocks both (or even just gets hit by Wing Ding) standing and you're floating down in front of them you can and likely will get full combo punished. But the j3 is there and is damn near unbeatable in the air.

You also have his b2, near half screen overhead that leads to decent combos. And any string into Ground Spark Dash Cancel, risky but if you made your opponent afraid of pressing buttons, deadly.

I'll have to use Staff more in general to get used to it.

Now another question. What is everyone doing off of throws? I'm having trouble maintaining my momentum after I land one.
Also to note his j3 is +1 and you can get a full combo from it. I just discovered it last night j3,Df2,j3db1. After throw....I don't have any idea either I have trying different things such as spark dash cancel. Spark, b13 just because its safe, or just baiting a wake up

7r17r1

Noob
I m starting to see what I feared for Nightwing when I first get my hand on the game

How do you pressure anybody when you have no reliable low and no good blockstun poke to reset pressure ? :/

My opponent just have to stand block and wait for the end of the pressure, yawning

Saitsu

Noob
I m starting to see what I feared for Nightwing when I first get my hand on the game

How do you pressure anybody when you have no reliable low and no good blockstun poke to reset pressure ? :/

My opponent just have to stand block and wait for the end of the pressure, yawning
You don't need that many lows. Enough to annoy your opponent but that's not his game anyway. He has two decent blockstun strings. His d12 and his b112. His b112 his +2 on block, his d12 is +8. If your opponent likes to press buttons you'll make them feel it.

On top of that, thanks to the properties of his flip kick he has a left/right game. Make the opponent fear that at any time Nightwing could just decide to go Flip Kick, potentially cross you up for 10% or if you MB it, upwards to 40%. Then you have decent zoning, amazing j3, and all the things staff stance brings.

Get creative.

I don't see much players adding is heavy jump kick like I did in my combo vids why not its really good damage plus it buffs into wing a dings I got legit damage without meter?

I don't know if this is known but db3(staff) is actually safe on block and can transition into escrima stance(also safe).

Well fuck you're right. Let's see if any of his other specials have that property.
It was the only one that worked for me. Day 1 I noticed that the description for his trait said that he could transition out of some special attacks but I only tried the escrima specials and stopped.

Saitsu

Noob
Well in any case, this is actually very helpful. And gives Staff Spin more relevance.

EDIT: Alright, from a bit of testing I've done, two things can be made certain. One, short of a Super from the likes of Superman or one of similar speed it seems you cannot punish Nightwing after Staff Spin xx Escrima. And two...no one has a normal faster than 6 frames which means I can't accurately see how disadvantaged he is.

After getting in some casuals tonight and chatting it up with Tom Brady I have concluded Nightwings play style. Combos that go into staff are very important! These combos go hand in hand with netting a hard knockdown and transitioning to staff. I know it very very early in the game but believe me when I say this. You are going to see a lot less Escrima and a lot more staff! We have all been spending time learning Escrima combos,Oki, spark cancels and shenanigans. While all of that is part of his game staff excels.
Combos to staff:
F213-4-,db3
22-4-,db3
113-4-,db3
B11-4-,db3
F213,df2,j2,22-4-,db3
B2,b11-4-,db3(haven't tested)
Etc.
In staff d1 is the most retarded shit ever when close and it can be canceled into specials(ABUSE IT)
Nj1 and j1 are almost as good as j3 in Escrima
1b1,1f2,and 1d3 are all great given the correct spacing
2(overhead) can go into full combo
1f1 is special cancelable and Escrima cancelable
D2 is special cancelable and Escrima cancelable
Db2 shuts zoners down and nets hella frame adv.
When used with a MB nets free Flying Grayson to get back in and annoy the shit
out of your opponent. Plus it builds so much Damn meter!!!
Db3 safe on block with meter. I think the normal version can be punished.
Bf3(SAFE)
Need I say more?
Escrima is still a very important part of Nightwings playstyle but staff is so fucking dirty!
Learning how to use both stances effectively will make or break Nightwing players.
To sum it all up Nightwing is a Good character not the best but a good one. You have to exert all your resources to play to his full potential. He is straight forward with very little b/s

Saitsu

Noob
Staff Spin (especially into Escrima) is safe to everything but quick supers.

And while you need a good amount of Staff, you also need Escrima to exert a lot of pressure on the opponent. Hell, with meter and a good KD, Nightwing has a semi-vortex. The opponent has to guess Left/Right and guessing wrong means 35-40% loss and a return to the same position.

Obviously using both stances will be key for true NW players as you've said. Not just abuse of one or the other.

After getting in some casuals tonight and chatting it up with Tom Brady I have concluded Nightwings play style. Combos that go into staff are very important! These combos go hand in hand with netting a hard knockdown and transitioning to staff. I know it very very early in the game but believe me when I say this. You are going to see a lot less Escrima and a lot more staff! We have all been spending time learning Escrima combos,Oki, spark cancels and shenanigans. While all of that is part of his game staff excels.
Combos to staff:
F213-4-,db3
22-4-,db3
113-4-,db3
B11-4-,db3
F213,df2,j2,22-4-,db3
B2,b11-4-,db3(haven't tested)
Etc.
In staff d1 is the most retarded shit ever when close and it can be canceled into specials(ABUSE IT)
Nj1 and j1 are almost as good as j3 in Escrima
1b1,1f2,and 1d3 are all great given the correct spacing
2(overhead) can go into full combo
1f1 is special cancelable and Escrima cancelable
D2 is special cancelable and Escrima cancelable
Db2 shuts zoners down and nets hella frame adv.
When used with a MB nets free Flying Grayson to get back in and annoy the shit
out of your opponent. Plus it builds so much Damn meter!!!
Db3 safe on block with meter. I think the normal version can be punished.
Bf3(SAFE)
Need I say more?
Escrima is still a very important part of Nightwings playstyle but staff is so fucking dirty!
Learning how to use both stances effectively will make or break Nightwing players.
To sum it all up Nightwing is a Good character
Staff Spin (especially into Escrima) is safe to everything but quick supers.

And while you need a good amount of Staff, you also need Escrima to exert a lot of pressure on the opponent. Hell, with meter and a good KD, Nightwing has a semi-vortex. The opponent has to guess Left/Right and guessing wrong means 35-40% loss and a return to the same position.

Obviously using both stances will be key for true NW players as you've said. Not just abuse of one or the other.
I haven't tried the vortex stuff yet so I will give that a try when I get in some casuald later. Also what are the best block strings to attempt the semi vortex with? I would assume d12db3.

Saitsu

Noob
You can use d12 or you can use f213. I use f213 just because it's easier to buffer Flip Kick from that. But once you get the hit, I just do straight raw (MB) Flip Kick or raw (MB) F3.

Saitsu

Noob
Neat, though with the lack of a low game, not as helpful as it would be to some. But more stuff in the arsenal is never bad.

You guys have some great info, thanks. If I ever come across something that would be helpful ill be sure to contribute.

You can use d12 or you can use f213. I use f213 just because it's easier to buffer Flip Kick from that. But once you get the hit, I just do straight raw (MB) Flip Kick or raw (MB) F3.
I figured that those would the most viable. So d12 into kickflip would be the cross up and f213 into kickflip would stay in front creating the mix up? I won't be able to test until later but could you be knocked out of the kick flip if you the f213 string since it doesn't grant frame adv.?

LeonEsla

Noob
Hey guys, after getting bodied online for a few hours, I have a few question for your Nighwing professors.

1. What are Nightwing's options on wakeup? I always seems to get stuffed after I get knockdown.
2. Is JI2 really that good of an incoming attack? It's cross-up range seems really small (in comparison). It gets rocked by Anti-airs (Flashes D2 for example). I know JI3 is a good air-to-air, but you can really combo afterwards ( I mean I do a D1,2,DF2, but that's not much of a combo).
3. Has anyone worked out any Staff BnBs? Now that I read up on this thread that staff is where Nightwing's game lies, it makes complete sense to me. I was only successful when I kept my distance and poked with the staffs amazing normals. Nightwing seems more like a spacing/footsies type of character and not a rushdown one.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.