What's new

General/Other The Ask Rain Thread

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Im on practice mode and I start with just 4,3 geyser... then I cant seem to connect the next 4,3. Im doing this at the fastest way I can.

Zanxus

Im on practice mode and I start with just 4,3 geyser... then I cant seem to connect the next 4,3. Im doing this at the fastest way I can.
You can't just start with 4 3 Geyser it wont connect because they'll be too low after recovering from Geyser. You have to start the combo with like 4 3 lightning or 4 3 bubble or b2 1+2 etc. just not 4 3 Geyser unless you catch them out of the air with that.

Marcus

You can't just start with 4 3 Geyser it wont connect because they'll be too low after recovering from Geyser. You have to start the combo with like 4 3 lightning or 4 3 bubble or b2 1+2 etc. just not 4 3 Geyser unless you catch them out of the air with that.
Oh I see. Thanks! Will test that out.

Marcus

Any tips in fighting Sektor?

- Sektor's missiles beat lightning
- Rain's Teleport is punishable by fast uppercut
- Sektor's flamethrower and missiles can zone Rain so well

CD jr

Noob
Any tips in fighting Sektor?

- Sektor's missiles beat lightning
- Rain's Teleport is punishable by fast uppercut
- Sektor's flamethrower and missiles can zone Rain so well
lol i was just fighting maxters sektor yesterday.sektor disables the use of lighting and teleport but he can still be beat and here is how.if the sektor is abusing the flamethrower and the spark at close distance activate ex armor round house and dash foward you will take the hit but you have armor so you can combo with 43 into your regular bnb.also down 3 is really good because it lowers the hit box alot so the flamethrower wont hit you, and after getting up from the down 3 you will be blocking.also when you knock him down use back2 1+2 if he wakes up with ex teleport it will always whiff because rain steps forward.thats about it just try to punish whiff normals and jump over the missiles.

Marcus

Thanks dude! Will try to use your tips and see If I can pull it off well.

Sektor (my brother's main) just beat me 9 matches out of 10. Cant seem to find a way to beat him through the course of our fights.

Sektor can really zone Rain so well, and thats where he wants me to be. Thats my biggest problem. Once I get in, I get extra careful with the rushdown to due to the fact that he can punish me with a 30-40+ damage combo off a teleport uppercut.

I need all Rain help/advice/tips you can share!

Hey guys, I've been trying to main rain lately, its a bit of a hassle to try to main him, but If you guys have any strings mix ups, please let me know. Any types of pressure. The only way I know how to really give pressure is a double lightning. Also, watch my video, please tell me what I can do better! Thanks. And tell me what I do nice to, and what to do, what I should not do. LEave a comment here or on the vid. The main combos I usually use to fight (because I find these the most easy to pull) are 3 different ones. 43 lightning dash upper cut dash 43 water ball 43 lightning teleport (mix up cross up pressure) back 2 2+3 x2 43 water ball 43 lightning dash RH Uppercut. Should I change these? are there better bread and butters? Please let me know, thanks!

If u want some tips first I highly recommend u to read the guide that is located in the sticky thread and one that is titled Rain Best tool something like that. As a Rain player i'll tell you that is RH and EX RH are the most important tool about him. The 4,3 RH xx 4,3 RH is so good for putting pressure so use it. Also if u are fighting some crossup fighter use the Geyser Kick they'll think twice before jumping(not as good as KL spin but whatever..) Ur BnB r quite good mix them up to put your opponent in a guessing situation like when they're trapped in a bubble u can go for the reset or a throw so everytime they won't know what ure about to do.

If u want some tips first I highly recommend u to read the guide that is located in the sticky thread and one that is titled Rain Best tool something like that. As a Rain player i'll tell you that is RH and EX RH are the most important tool about him. The 4,3 RH xx 4,3 RH is so good for putting pressure so use it. Also if u are fighting some crossup fighter use the Geyser Kick they'll think twice before jumping(not as good as KL spin but whatever..) Ur BnB r quite good mix them up to put your opponent in a guessing situation like when they're trapped in a bubble u can go for the reset or a throw so everytime they won't know what ure about to do.
Well, i read everything from there already, but hey you never know, some kids might know something or can elaborate on things. but Damn, never thought of putting a geyser kick to kick those mix ups out, because then I can restart lightning pressure. Thanks on that hand. And, What are rains resets? Enlighten me :eek: And I know, I already have a pretty excellent Round house pressure, I pretty much milked RH canceling and eating stuff with armor and comboing people :)

Subby

Frost Warrior
Well, i read everything from there already, but hey you never know, some kids might know something or can elaborate on things. but Damn, never thought of putting a geyser kick to kick those mix ups out, because then I can restart lightning pressure. Thanks on that hand. And, What are rains resets? Enlighten me :eek: And I know, I already have a pretty excellent Round house pressure, I pretty much milked RH canceling and eating stuff with armor and comboing people :)
Though I haven't done it consistently my self, its usually using a water orb then letting then drop to the floor without hitting them. I'm guessing it puts you on advantage.

Marcus

Rain's reset is placing your water bubbled opponent in

1) right next to you so you can continue with another combo or pressure
2) jump distance, so you can get a free jump in (I believe this adds a jip for you to hit confirm)

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Has anyone noticed how big rains head is in the character selection screen compared to the rest of the cast? I didn't notice it till TYM used it for the character forums lol. I suppose it could just be a close up, but it bugs me. I feel like he should be able to headbutt someone.

Rain's reset is placing your water bubbled opponent in

1) right next to you so you can continue with another combo or pressure
2) jump distance, so you can get a free jump in (I believe this adds a jip for you to hit confirm)
Ohh, Okay, wow, THANKS, I could try that!

Having a Hard time Maining Rain.

Hey guys, Im rank 94 On the xbox live player match leader boards, I main reptile at the moment, I have a pretty nasty one, And rain was always my true favorite character. When ever rain came out, I wanted to main him. I simply can't, he has SO many bad match ups. I was wondering if anyone was up to in helping me improve my game with rain. Send me a message on xbox. What I lack with rain: Pressure when the other person is blocking. Pressure after combos. (I dont know any resets, mind games, mix ups, etc, the ones that im doing are very unreliable) I lack a lot of things vs Spammers. Trading is not a smart thing to do with rain Im realizing, and he just has a tone of horrible match ups. If anyone would like to come play with me, tell me what im doing wrong, What I can do better, I'd appreciate it. send me a message over xbox: Muffin Muggers.

Marcus

Husteen

Noob.
i have a rain question!

was he changed at all after the 1.05 patch? the only thing i've heard is that his D3 might have a longer reach.

Husteen

Noob.
i've tried starting the combo with 4, 3, geyser kick but it doesn't work. you have to juggle the opponent first with 1, 2, F4 so it will go like this:
corner: 1, 2, F4, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db3.
after the geyser kick, you have to 4, 3, rather quickly because if the opponent drops too much the last part of the combo will whiff. a longer version of that combo is:
corner: 1, 2, F4, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db2, roundhouse, 4, 3, teleport, grab.

Marcus

i've tried starting the combo with 4, 3, geyser kick but it doesn't work. you have to juggle the opponent first with 1, 2, F4 so it will go like this:
corner: 1, 2, F4, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db3.
after the geyser kick, you have to 4, 3, rather quickly because if the opponent drops too much the last part of the combo will whiff. a longer version of that combo is:
corner: 1, 2, F4, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db3, 4, 3, db2, roundhouse, 4, 3, teleport, grab.
Thanks! Yup! I have figured it out and been pulling it off consistently. Thanks to Zanxus!

That corner longer combos sounds good. Will try it out too. Whats the damage count in that one?

What I do is JIP, 43, lightning, 43, geyserkick, 43, geyserkick, 43, geyserkick. Its around 47% I believe.

i have a rain question!

was he changed at all after the 1.05 patch? the only thing i've heard is that his D3 might have a longer reach.
Faster D3 and of course the negative edge fix

Husteen

Noob.
i wonder why they buffed his D3. now that i'm doing it in training mode it does seem slower than the other's.

the combo i mentioned does 40% without a jip but +12% if the grab connects so 52%.

obviously not worth it compared to yours. there's a lot of places for it to drop but it's fun to do in training mode =]

BookBurning

Voidwards
Actually Rain doesn't have very many bad matchups honestly, but he doesn't have very many good one's either. He has what I like to call a Scorpion factor in which most of his matchups tend to be 5/5.

Pressure with Rain is all about cancelling his moves into RH; much like Kabal's block string with Nomad Dash, people can mostly only jab out of a quick 33 RH cancel, or jump, the cool thing is that when they do jump and if you release the RH, they'll get hit right in the face. This sort of opens up a mind game too; your opponent won't know if you're going to release the RH, cancel it and do another blockstring, or cancel it and grab them; tons of potential revolves around this and in reality it's Rain's main game plan. Water bubble also gives you a basically guaranteed throw if you choose to drop them right in front of you and will be your tool to reset them; the cool thing is that every combo links into waterbubble, so you have endless opportunities to either go for guaranteed damage off of the bubble, or reset them and mix them up.

That above is your foundation and essentially what Rain is about, the character revolves around RH cancelling in the same fashion Kabal revolves around Dash cancelling, plus you have the opportunity with rain to deal massive damage when you choose to go for a combo over a reset, and meterless damage at that.

Still though, start off building your RH cancelling foundation and then after you get that down, you can begin to get into specifics and more advanced strategy.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Actually Rain doesn't have very many bad matchups honestly, but he doesn't have very many good one's either. He has what I like to call a Scorpion factor in which most of his matchups tend to be 5/5.

Pressure with Rain is all about cancelling his moves into RH; much like Kabal's block string with Nomad Dash, people can mostly only jab out of a quick 33 RH cancel, or jump, the cool thing is that when they do jump and if you release the RH, they'll get hit right in the face. This sort of opens up a mind game too; your opponent won't know if you're going to release the RH, cancel it and do another blockstring, or cancel it and grab them; tons of potential revolves around this and in reality it's Rain's main game plan. Water bubble also gives you a basically guaranteed throw if you choose to drop them right in front of you and will be your tool to reset them; the cool thing is that every combo links into waterbubble, so you have endless opportunities to either go for guaranteed damage off of the bubble, or reset them and mix them up.

That above is your foundation and essentially what Rain is about, the character revolves around RH cancelling in the same fashion Kabal revolves around Dash cancelling, plus you have the opportunity with rain to deal massive damage when you choose to go for a combo over a reset, and meterless damage at that.

Still though, start off building your RH cancelling foundation and then after you get that down, you can begin to get into specifics and more advanced strategy.
What gets me is how much air control he has. If you learn his air to air punch combo's you'll win a ton of matches without a vast knowledge of the RH cancel. I know every time book hits me in the air I cuss at myself for jumping. Its a free 30+ pretty easily.

BookBurning

Voidwards
What gets me is how much air control he has. If you learn his air to air punch combo's you'll win a ton of matches without a vast knowledge of the RH cancel. I know every time book hits me in the air I cuss at myself for jumping. Its a free 30+ pretty easily.
Yeah his anti air jab potential is among the best in my opinion, right up there with Jax and Johnny Cage. Thanks for bringing that up actually.

MuffinMuggers: If you meet someone in the air and jab them you can then dash forward, jab them again and then 34 them into either lightning or water bubble. Sometimes in some situations though you'll push the enemy too far back to do this. So instead what you can do is just 4 them into lightning which will still hit them, otherwise you'll wiff the 34 and miss the opportunity.

Also a standing jab and crouching jab can work as an anti-air with Rain. In that situation you always want to just 34 them into lightning or bubble.

Know when to use our ex roundhouse. That move is so good and so important to him. His teleport isn't as bad as people say it is imo, and the ex one is very nice too. Rain is very dangerous with meter, opponents might be afraid to try to attack you in fear of the ex rh. Then you can pressure with 43(33) rh, and cancel it and keep going or grab. I think his water squirt is actually very useful and I believe it's invincible on wakeup, and a good anti air. For more advice watch CD jr's matches and talk to BookBurning who is the best Rain I have personally played. I'm working with Rain too:)

Marcus

Also a standing jab and crouching jab can work as an anti-air with Rain. In that situation you always want to just 34 them into lightning or bubble.
With that being said. Here are some options.

RESET: AA1, dash,1,dash,1,4,3,lightning, dashback, waterbubble (place them right next to you or jump distance for the jump in)
DAMAGE: AA1, dash,1,dash,1,4,3, waterbubble, 4,3, lightning, RH, geyserkick

BookBurning

Voidwards
Know when to use our ex roundhouse. That move is so good and so important to him. His teleport isn't as bad as people say it is imo, and the ex one is very nice too. Rain is very dangerous with meter, opponents might be afraid to try to attack you in fear of the ex rh. Then you can pressure with 43(33) rh, and cancel it and keep going or grab. I think his water squirt is actually very useful and I believe it's invincible on wakeup, and a good anti air. For more advice watch CD jr's matches and talk to BookBurning who is the best Rain I have personally played. I'm working with Rain too:)
Yeah definitely check out CDjr; he plays a top level Rain and everything that we've been talking about you can guarantee he does.

Speaking of EX RH though, dash cancelling out of it is amazing as well because the armor carries over just as it would if you didn't cancel out of it; you can use it to absorb attacks and just counter-attack both while they're attacking you or just by running through a projectile with it. I've been practicing with it alot recently and it's been working wonders (Even though sometimes I screw up and it costs me but I've been working hard towards the tech.)

I mean it will allow you to dash through anything momentarily; it's especially useful when Kabal tries to get you into a Dash cancel string, you can literally just activate the EX RH, dash forward and absorb his attacks while you counter with a full combo. Basically if you correctly read a person attempting to combo you, you can turn the tides immediately.

With that being said. Here are some options.

RESET: AA1, dash,1,dash,1,4,3,lightning, dashback, waterbubble (place them right next to you or jump distance for the jump in)
DAMAGE: AA1, dash,1,dash,1,4,3, waterbubble, 4,3, lightning, RH, geyserkick
And exactly, although I prefer resetting them with the water bubble since the potential reward is way greater than the damage you get from the later. Still, damage is damage.