What's new

thanks NRS for the meter drain ''glitch''

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Meter drain was not intended as other stuff in MK so the only way to deal with it is to adapt , this thread is going in the direction of "what makes a fighting game good" wich is heavily biased by top players so it shouldn't be discussed here now.
However i approve that the framerate is not stable and can affect many things , actually i always wondered if Somberness could simply record the framerate for the stages ( both ps3 and xbox ) and what moves make the framerate go down , are you guys sure this game always runs at 60 fps? Don't think so.
Theres alot of stuff not intended in FGs and most time it ends up making the game more interesting

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Do you have the link to it?
I can try and find it

Im saying i know this has happened to me a few times especially against skarlet's pressure and apparent holes where i xray out to regain control and health or to win a round

Skarlet is the #1 character this happens w kenshi against in my exp

Crathen

Death is my business
Theres alot of stuff not intended in FGs and most time it ends up making the game more interesting
Like MVC3?Runjabs in UMK3?T4 Jin?T5 Steve infinite?SFIV unblockables? I could go on forever.

Yes , there is lots of unwanted stuff in FGs and it can add depth but that depends on how you look at it , you could say "hey if you're mashing and not timing it you deserve to get meter drained" and another guy can say "i took a guess or reacted 1 frame later and nothing happened but my meter is gone this is dumb".

Honestly , can you blame the 2nd opinion about the meter drain?

People who get the meter drain aren't always mashing armor , maybe they're trying actually time it.

Thing is you can't know if the other guy was mashing armor or timing it when you're in game.

Obviously you can get better at timing armor by playing the game and react faster but that 1 frame of meter drain glitch will always be there no matter how hard you practice , 4 frame gaps are actually 3 frames with 1 frame of meter drain.

Knowledgable FGs players generally don't like randomness ( and while meter drain is not random the blockstun is definately "weird" in MK ) that's why laggy setups are the devil , when you get eliminated from a tournament ( or simply lose some casuals ) you don't want to be in doubt ( "Wow i did this but it didn't come out!" kind of thing ) about what you lost for , that's why an experienced FG player wouldn't like something like Meter Drain.

If anyone suffered a meter drain they at least want an indication they released the block button and that inputted the armor move correctly but it got stuffed in that 1 frame of startup instead of just being stuck in block and get meter drained. ( this may be hard to understand but trust me it's a huge factor for some players )

Cyrax resets weren't intended and yeah they make the game more interesting...for some Cyrax players , the poor Baraka player that gets 90% damage "GTFO the tournament" combo probably won't be happy about it and the only thing that can make it interesting is learning Cyrax itself , mind i totally understand the "play to win" mentality and i don't blame players for moving up the tierlist.

Input Bug is clearly unintended and while "yeah i can just time my inputs better" someone is going to fuck up and get a standing 3/4 and can use it as an excuse since it's in MK and you can't tell if they only pressed standing 4 out of panic or legit d+4 input bug. If input bug wasn't in it that someone wouldn't have the chance to scream INPUT BUG and you could say "hey you simply fucked up".

TLDR Yes unwanted stuff can make games more interesting depending what opinion said people have about the specific stuff , but unwanted game engine mechanics that are hard to control by the player don't make the game more interesting.

0.02 cents

And by the way good stuff on your Kenshi , many hate Kenshi but i like watching it and few people recognize that playing good defence is actually harder than rushing down even with dat armor , keep up the good work.

Somberness

Lights
Meter drain was not intended as other stuff in MK so the only way to deal with it is to adapt , this thread is going in the direction of "what makes a fighting game good" wich is heavily biased by top players so it shouldn't be discussed here now.
However i approve that the framerate is not stable and can affect many things , actually i always wondered if Somberness could simply record the framerate for the stages ( both ps3 and xbox ) and what moves make the framerate go down , are you guys sure this game always runs at 60 fps? Don't think so.
I don't see it because I rarely record anything on PS3, this is because Xbox just tears the screen instead of dropping frames. Even that is much less frequent. But doing a quick check, I can see that Cyrax's bombs drop a frame pretty consistently.

And I've seen the xray drain before but I couldn't replicate it.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Yes , there is lots of unwanted stuff in FGs and it can add depth but that depends on how you look at it , you could say "hey if you're mashing and not timing it you deserve to get meter drained" and another guy can say "i took a guess or reacted 1 frame later and nothing happened but my meter is gone this is dumb".

Honestly , can you blame the 2nd opinion about the meter drain?

People who get the meter drain aren't always mashing armor , maybe they're trying actually time it.

Thing is you can't know if the other guy was mashing armor or timing it when you're in game.
What do people mean when they say mashing armor?

Because earlier I basically expressed exactly that 2nd opinion and had half a dozen different people blow me up telling me stop mashing and armor and learn to poke and acting like I'm some scrub. I just don't get it. I made a read that the opponent was going to attack, made a decision to use an armor move, accidentally timed my move 1 frame later than I should have and because of that 1 fucking frame I'm some button mashing scrub who needs to learn to play the game and deserves to lose meter?

Sure, it was my fault for missing the timing window, but since when does missing something by 1 frame make someone a button masher?

Thank you for that post. You articulated some good points that I failed at making(probably because I'm a scrubby armor masher).

Crathen

Death is my business
I don't see it because I rarely record anything on PS3, this is because Xbox just tears the screen instead of dropping frames. Even that is much less frequent. But doing a quick check, I can see that Cyrax's bombs drop a frame pretty consistently.

And I've seen the xray drain before but I couldn't replicate it.
Inb4shitstorm #callinitrightnow

Thanks for all the frame data man , really lol the TYM community needs more guys like you doing the dirty work to have frame data , LBSH if anyone deserves props it's Somberness , the level of play MK has reached is heavily caused by his work.

NRS don't eff up on Injustice , needs constant 60 fps. ( anyways the 1 frame drop isn't a gamechanger but it's quite interesting )

Seapeople

This one's for you
I lost a bar of meter tonight just for blocking Cage's pressure...i wasnt doing anything but holding block. I wasnt tring to armor, poke or anything.
This was easily one of the most frustrating nights i've ever had playing this game :(

Am I a sick bastard for laughing maniacally every time I see my opponent suffer from the glitch in the middle of my Cage pressure? Am I still a sick bastard if my opponent is Kenshi? Then I am also a hypocrite for crying maniacally every time I suffer the meter drain glitch in the middle of some Kabal's pressure? Am I still a hypocrite if my opponent is Kabal?