What's new

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 General Discussion

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Those were pretty intense. I too had trouble following and reading your strings with Lili and Zafina. Eventhough I've played Mr. Mil a few times, you were using moves he doesn't so got caught by surprise many times.

I still need to improve a lot, I'm playing this practically on a daily basis and only managed to win a few. I'm still figuring out when to sidestep in close combat, so far whenever I'm doing it I still get caught by follow ups and can't manage to get to the side or back.

If you had more time to play I'm sure I would have gotten curbstompped.
Lili is generally really easy to sidestep, it's just her crouchdash moves you need to be careful of since they center her tracking. Zafina has slightly better tracking but she's a lot more poke heavy anyways so it's not like you'll often be sidewalking big strings or anything.

You seem to be coming along really well. Not sure how long you've been playing overall but you seemed plenty solid. You fell for some of my setups (I'll detail them in a PM) but it's like... hmm, 60 characters to learn... yeah, you're gonna get hit by some shit! I kept getting creamed by your team because I don't know their moves hahaha. Game takes so much damn time, but I'll write you a PM and give you some tips on what to look out for.

I'm trying to get a bunch of games in this weekend since I actually have some time and NEC is next weekend. I'd like to not go 2-and-out but considering I haven't even fought half the cast yet, I probably will.

I only get to play a few hours every week or so, so I'm trying to make the most of them. If you wanna play shoot me a text, my number is PM'd to you. Definitely need practice against both of your characters!

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Lili is generally really easy to sidestep, it's just her crouchdash moves you need to be careful of since they center her tracking. Zafina has slightly better tracking but she's a lot more poke heavy anyways so it's not like you'll often be sidewalking big strings or anything.

You seem to be coming along really well. Not sure how long you've been playing overall but you seemed plenty solid. You fell for some of my setups (I'll detail them in a PM) but it's like... hmm, 60 characters to learn... yeah, you're gonna get hit by some shit! I kept getting creamed by your team because I don't know their moves hahaha. Game takes so much damn time, but I'll write you a PM and give you some tips on what to look out for.

I'm trying to get a bunch of games in this weekend since I actually have some time and NEC is next weekend. I'd like to not go 2-and-out but considering I haven't even fought half the cast yet, I probably will.

I only get to play a few hours every week or so, so I'm trying to make the most of them. If you wanna play shoot me a text, my number is PM'd to you. Definitely need practice against both of your characters!
Yeah, the amount of information to learn to be good in Tekken makes is frustrating at times. I've played Tekken for years, though only casually, I'm familiar with staple moves like the Laws' Backflips, Paul's hammer punches and elbows, Mishima's CD moves, etc. But there are characters I never really explored and some (e.g. Yoshimitsu) are different than their T5 incarnations (last Tekken I played prior to TTT2).

As for Lars and Jinpachi some general advice is:

Lars
-He's pretty well rounded with good combination of highs, mids and lows which help with his mixup game up close.
-He really doesn't have long strings, his approach is based on poking and punishing for big damage. 1,2_2,1; d/b+2,1; WS+2,1 are basically the most you'll see from him when pressuring, with the occasional f+1,2,3.
-His lows don't give him any advantage whatsoever (d/b+1) or are very punishable (d+1+2; d/b+4; f,f+4; f,f+3+4).
-The Screw Attack (u/f+3) is punishable on block. Though the animation makes it difficult to tell what exactly is it's maximum punisher; not even InaTekken has a definite frame number on it.

Besides my general lack of knowledge and experience with Tekken in a competitive level, I think Lars is best character at the moment. I just need to stop using u/f+3 as a panic button hoping to get a high crush.

Jinpachi
-Jinpachi just like Lars is all poking and punishing for big damage.
-Unlike Lars though, Jinpachi is for the most part very negative or punishable on block.
-Like Crathen said in the Jinpachi thread, he will be poking with his slow unsafe lows (d+3, d/b+2,1) until you start blocking/punishing them, to then threaten with powerful mids like u+4.
-I think one of the things to watch out for is his range. The guy is huge, and his legs can really reach from a distance.
-His mobility sucks. I'm no KBD expert, but backdashing with him is a PITA. At least he has Astral Projection, but that takes time to recover from.
-Also, and this is entirely my opinion, I think he is pretty bad at getting out from pressure. His st. 1 for some reason is pretty short, and his follow ups are either mediocre or plain bad: 1,2 is -17 on block and 1,b+2 is not a NC. d/b+1,2 is good against pitbull players, but it is NCc, so you risk a launcher if it didn't hit on CH.

Jinpachi is a character of respect and fear. If you respect him too much he'll beat you in no time.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Jinpachi has the best block punishing in the game. It's better to just close the distance, rush him down and use safe pokes against him, mixed with occasional fast lows, knees and elbows so he can't use his punch parry.

1,2 for -10 frames, wallsplats
b1,2 for -12 frames, wallsplats
df2 for -14 frames, full launch

+ very good while crouching and while standing moves. U4 is really fast for a safe low crush move and guarantees a d4 stomp on hit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
so my team is kazuya and someone like subzero, a good turtle with a pointy dick that stabs anyone coming in

any ideas

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
so my team is kazuya and someone like subzero, a good turtle with a pointy dick that stabs anyone coming in

any ideas
Feng is probably the best turtle in the game. Bryan is also a really good turtle. Once you go Mishima though... you are gonna pick up more than one eventually lol.

Skkra

I may be on tonight at 8:30 PM EST for a few hours. If anyone is going to be around, keep your eye open for me.

Skkra

Kazuya is fucking AMAZING...I don't understand how he isn't the best in the game.
One of the Mishimas is likely the best in the game... they generally always are. But...

#1 - First you have to have world class fundamentals
#2 - Then you need to have a sick Kazuya
#3 - THEN you need to have consistent incredible execution... mastering those characters is difficult enough that the USA has basically produced ONE top level Mishima player ever, and it's Kane in California.

So yes, Kaz (and the other Mishimas) are always good, but I wouldn't tell anyone to expect to start winning nonstop or anything just from picking him. Tekken is very much a game of solid fundamentals.

Skkra

Nice pic, but Kabals 2NDC is probably better than an electric :p
hahahaha get outta here man! Dont even. :p

It's fairly telling that a ton of top MK players all have a pocket Kabal, but in Tekken, no one is whipping out pocket Mishimas and riding them deep into the tournament. Developing top level Mishimas literally takes years of play. CDJr trained up a 2nd-place-at-Evo Kabal in what, 6 months?

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I believe DanCock is, or so I heard. Not sure about anyone else
Yep ill be there. But not playing tekken at all. Two reasons, 1 if I don't play for a long period of time I totally forget how to play lol 2 the douche bags that run tekken don't answer any of my questions about button mapping during a offline tournament. I posted at Srk, tekken Z and here and not one response. They lost 1 player that would have loved to join the tekken tournament at nec.

DanCock, PM me your phone number again. We should hang out and get some games in man.
Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Yep ill be there. But not playing tekken at all. Two reasons, 1 if I don't play for a long period of time I totally forget how to play lol 2 the douche bags that run tekken don't answer any of my questions about button mapping during a offline tournament. I posted at Srk, tekken Z and here and not one response. They lost 1 player that would have loved to join the tekken tournament at nec.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
Damn, sorry to hear about that. Best of luck to you at NEC for MK :)