What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

Immortal

Blind justice....
Another week is almost over and the progress was/is really nice. Especially last few days. Made it to Raijin, thou bouncing between Fujin and Raijin. Started to duck a lot of highs and punish for good damage(Dragunov really pumps out the damage lmao), playing way more compact, not going in all the time also mimicking JDCR in many ways works well for me. Fan fact - i've always enjoyed(in any fighting game) mirror matches and man do i enjoy them in Tekken 8. :)

On the negative side, i still lose often to knowledge checks, especially to characters who have a lot of "weird" stuff like Ling, Yoshi. Still a lot of learning on frame data of many chracters, coz im not doing optimal punishes or not doing them at all coz lack of knowledge... Still, the feeling of progress is real.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Just had my first long set with a really good Lili. Was actually able to learn the match-up. Just reinforces my belief that inifinite rematches in Quick Play will only help this game.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Another week is almost over and the progress was/is really nice. Especially last few days. Made it to Raijin, thou bouncing between Fujin and Raijin. Started to duck a lot of highs and punish for good damage(Dragunov really pumps out the damage lmao), playing way more compact, not going in all the time also mimicking JDCR in many ways works well for me. Fan fact - i've always enjoyed(in any fighting game) mirror matches and man do i enjoy them in Tekken 8. :)

On the negative side, i still lose often to knowledge checks, especially to characters who have a lot of "weird" stuff like Ling, Yoshi. Still a lot of learning on frame data of many chracters, coz im not doing optimal punishes or not doing them at all coz lack of knowledge... Still, the feeling of progress is real.
Good stuff. I actually hate mirror matches lol. Dragonuv has so much damage that anything punishing is always half life or more in all situations lol.

This game definitely tilts me more than NRS games ever did though. Which says a lot. Like I just can't visually make out WTH characters like Lars are doing. Like I CAN'T visually see it with all the flash and instant dashing stuff, so unless the player is just pure garbage I'm taking an L every time. There's a couple of characters like that for me. That and the frustration of not being a knowledge guru with so many things sometimes you're playing all technical and lose to some random flowchart that you KNOW is pure ass but you don't know the proper counter play yet. When playing T7 it didn't get me half as upset as this one does lol. Might be the aggro offensive play.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I never understood why people don't like mirrors. It's the one occasion where I most fully understand what they can, and are wanting to do.

There can be some "why would you do that" stuff, but not having a massive ignorance problem to deal with makes everything so much nicer

Immortal

Blind justice....
Good stuff. I actually hate mirror matches lol. Dragonuv has so much damage that anything punishing is always half life or more in all situations lol.

This game definitely tilts me more than NRS games ever did though. Which says a lot. Like I just can't visually make out WTH characters like Lars are doing. Like I CAN'T visually see it with all the flash and instant dashing stuff, so unless the player is just pure garbage I'm taking an L every time. There's a couple of characters like that for me. That and the frustration of not being a knowledge guru with so many things sometimes you're playing all technical and lose to some random flowchart that you KNOW is pure ass but you don't know the proper counter play yet. When playing T7 it didn't get me half as upset as this one does lol. Might be the aggro offensive play.
Interesting, Tekken 8 doesn't tilts me even remotely close to lets say MK1 for example. Sure i get annoyed when i lose to some flowchart BS(also i forgot Lars but yeah he is also one of these "weird" characters i mentioned earlier) but after that i go immediately to my replays and make notes on what i should've done/duck/punish/which throw to break/when to press. I live in "my replays" lmao, im there after every lost game.

I also think that playing way more compact and winning on spacing/whiff punishing is the way to go not just going in all the time coz i have plus frames. At the very least it gives me much better results. Also when i watch JDCR play he makes it look easy and im like "sure i can do that" and than i play and... nope maybe in few days im gonna learn that ONE part decently. So yeah time and patience is the most crucial thing for me but yeah like i said progress is really noticeable. Just wish i could learn all of that faster lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I never understood why people don't like mirrors. It's the one occasion where I most fully understand what they can, and are wanting to do.

There can be some "why would you do that" stuff, but not having a massive ignorance problem to deal with makes everything so much nicer
I really hate them, always have. Like I want to play against the "other" characters not my own. I don't even like looking at two characters doing the same thing lol. Watching mirrors even feels a bit meh. If I play another character then I'll fight my main or whatnot but the mirror is probably my most hated MU in every FG.

Interesting, Tekken 8 doesn't tilts me even remotely close to lets say MK1 for example. Sure i get annoyed when i lose to some flowchart BS(also i forgot Lars but yeah he is also one of these "weird" characters i mentioned earlier) but after that i go immediately to my replays and make notes on what i should've done/duck/punish/which throw to break/when to press. I live in "my replays" lmao, im there after every lost game.

I also think that playing way more compact and winning on spacing/whiff punishing is the way to go not just going in all the time coz i have plus frames. At the very least it gives me much better results. Also when i watch JDCR play he makes it look easy and im like "sure i can do that" and than i play and... nope maybe in few days im gonna learn that ONE part decently. So yeah time and patience is the most crucial thing for me but yeah like i said progress is really noticeable. Just wish i could learn all of that faster lol.
I think what tilts me the most is KNOWING that if I had more exp/knowledge certain things would never work. Like in SF or MK you're getting that level of understanding in a fraction of the time, but in Tekken it's a long journey so sometimes the better player in a match ends up being some unsafe garbage that you didn't know about until after you lost. Sometimes you can SEE a move or setup is garbage low level stuff but you aren't sure how to approach it. For example I labbed all the Alisa chainsaw stuff so none of it really works on me unless I guess wrong, but then I fought an Alisa who didn't use it and was using some super unsafe setplay that didn't "look unsafe" until after I went to replays and was like "so I could have been launch punishing the 9 times he used it instead of losing lol. There's a lot of those that get me wishing I had a hyperbolic time chamber. You see it the other way too, where if you DO know the knowledge check for one-strat players dudes are clueless what to do next.

JDCR sometimes will deplete 80% of a lifebar and you have to go back to rewind because it doesn't make sense how easy he made it look lol. Of all the Dragonuv players he looks like the most "calm" in play. One thing I'm learning is to slow down even though the game is more aggressive, because the defense is what actually makes the difference. Dave was referring to that earlier in the thread but I see it now. I noticed that JDCR plays Drag in a way that isn't always "fish for more +F after pressure, fish for combo setups", and pretty much dominates up close movement and punishing. It's like it maximizes his character in ways most people don't think to do.

Also separately from this. I got to the Bushin promotion match FIVE TIMES IN A ROW and kept losing it, making it back, and losing again. FIVE. I couldn't believe it, I almost launched the fightstick out the window. It's been YEARS since I got that tilted going back to what I was talking about earlier because the last one I lost to was pure nonsense green rank looking stuff I just didn't know yet. But I made the ULTIMATE mistake. I kept playing angry, angry playing, mashing random offense angry at the game. Went on a massive losing streak. Got demoted all the way down to bottom Kishin, then back to Raijin, then down to middle-ish Raijin LOLOL. After that fifth denial I maybe won 3 games total the rest of the time. All within like a 5 hour session. Never, ever , everrrr will I play that tilted again haha.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Like I just can't visually make out WTH characters like Lars are doing. Like I CAN'T visually see it with all the flash and instant dashing stuff, so unless the player is just pure garbage I'm taking an L every time.
Lars is one of my main characters. I will break down the stances and how they are generally utilized in rank mode while being as brief as feasible.

2,1 transitions into Limited Entry (LE). On block, there is no mix up. Just check Lars with your fastest mid attack. On hit, you have to guess between LE 1, a low attack that is -12 on block, and LE 2, a safe mid attack that has pushback. Both attacks hit on the same frame (16), so you cannot fuzzy guard. 2,1 is primarily used as a ten frame punisher and keep out string.

Dynamic Entry (DE), entered manually by f+3, includes various moves, but most of them are slow to be used consistently in the neutral. The notable exceptions are DE 1,2, a quick high attack followed by another high attack that jails on block. DE 1 on its own is +1 on block. DE 3 is a slow, homing mid attack that is +3 on block. Lars automatically transitions into Silent Entry (SE).
  • DE 3 to SE 1 cannot be interrupted by jabs on block, but you can parry if your character has one. You can side step SE 1 to the left, but the timing is very, very tight. If you are in rage, mash your rage art as soon as you see Lars perform DE 3 as he cannot block afterwards. Both DE 3 and SE 1 are heat engagers.
  • You will also see Lars players do SE 2 after DE 3, a low attack that is +6 on hit and -12 on block. Lars is in crouch after SE 2, so common follow ups are FC d/f+2, a safe mid-hitting counter launcher, and FC d+1+2, traditionally referred to as the "shoeshine", a low attack that is +1 on hit and -12 on block.
Lars players, especially in lower ranks, will spam stuff like d/b+2~f and WS+2~f because these two moves transition into SE. The golden rule to remember is that everything is interruptible unless it hits you. However, there is SE 4, a high armored homing attack. You have enough time to check the Lars player with d/f+1, react and crouch, and whiff punish with your WS launcher.

You always want to side step and side walk Lars to the right because f,f+1+2 tracks perfectly to the left, chips on block, and launches on a counter hit. When in range three or farther, attempt to stay out of DE 3 or challenge with a panic button like a hopkick.

In heat mode, f+3+4 is a special-mid hitting, advancing attack that has armor. f+3+4 is even more plus on block than DE 3 and also automatically transitions into SE. Again, if you are in rage, mash your rage art as Lars cannot block after f+3+4. The same defensive options apply for f+3+4 as they do for DE 3 so look above.

Lars was universally considered trash tier in Tekken 7. He has been substantially improved in Tekken 8. He remains a little gimmicky, albeit not as severely as the bears, Ling, and Yoshi. If you need match up experience, let me know. I am no Korean or Pakistani, but I have been using Lars since Tekken 6.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Lars is one of my main characters. I will break down the stances and how they are generally utilized in rank mode while being as brief as feasible.

2,1 transitions into Limited Entry (LE). On block, there is no mix up. Just check Lars with your fastest mid attack. On hit, you have to guess between LE 1, a low attack that is -12 on block, and LE 2, a safe mid attack that has pushback. Both attacks hit on the same frame (16), so you cannot fuzzy guard. 2,1 is primarily used as a ten frame punisher and keep out string.

Dynamic Entry (DE), entered manually by f+3, includes various moves, but most of them are slow to be used consistently in the neutral. The notable exceptions are DE 1,2, a quick high attack followed by another high attack that jails on block. DE 1 on its own is +1 on block. DE 3 is a slow, homing mid attack that is +3 on block. Lars automatically transitions into Silent Entry (SE).
  • DE 3 to SE 1 cannot be interrupted by jabs on block, but you can parry if your character has one. You can side step SE 1 to the left, but the timing is very, very tight. If you are in rage, mash your rage art as soon as you see Lars perform DE 3 as he cannot block afterwards. Both DE 3 and SE 1 are heat engagers.
  • You will also see Lars players do SE 2 after DE 3, a low attack that is +6 on hit and -12 on block. Lars is in crouch after SE 2, so common follow ups are FC d/f+2, a safe mid-hitting counter launcher, and FC d+1+2, traditionally referred to as the "shoeshine", a low attack that is +1 on hit and -12 on block.
Lars players, especially in lower ranks, will spam stuff like d/b+2~f and WS+2~f because these two moves transition into SE. The golden rule to remember is that everything is interruptible unless it hits you. However, there is SE 4, a high armored homing attack. You have enough time to check the Lars player with d/f+1, react and crouch, and whiff punish with your WS launcher.

You always want to side step and side walk Lars to the right because f,f+1+2 tracks perfectly to the left, chips on block, and launches on a counter hit. When in range three or farther, attempt to stay out of DE 3 or challenge with a panic button like a hopkick.

In heat mode, f+3+4 is a special-mid hitting, advancing attack that has armor. f+3+4 is even more plus on block than DE 3 and also automatically transitions into SE. Again, if you are in rage, mash your rage art as Lars cannot block after f+3+4. The same defensive options apply for f+3+4 as they do for DE 3 so look above.

Lars was universally considered trash tier in Tekken 7. He has been substantially improved in Tekken 8. He remains a little gimmicky, albeit not as severely as the bears, Ling, and Yoshi. If you need match up experience, let me know. I am no Korean or Pakistani, but I have been using Lars since Tekken 6.
This is awesome, awesome, information. This is literally THEE one mu that is just nuclear for me. I see a Lars and I'm like "welp already know how this will end". Gonna take a lot of this to the lab for sure and try to feel it out. I'll try and grab you for some MU exp around mid week so I can try to grind some of this anti-tech into muscle memory. Would be nice to be at least manageable in this MU lol.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
The best thing about Tekken 8 is OPTIONS. You can approach the game in your own way due to the abundance of viable tools available.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Best grappler? Explain, breh.

By the way, is anyone else annoyed by the Tekken Shop? Look, I love the game and will most likely purchase a Lars costume, but do the servers really need to be offline for five hours just to add four skins?

I am just trying to play the game, Namco. Damn!
:rolleyes: It’s one of the few things I don’t like about the game.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Some changes I’d like to see:
Nerfs to a few of the top tiers
Add the ability to filter out WiFi completely
Nerf heat smash block and whiff properties
Nerf rage arts. Maybe by reducing the damage

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Well, given Arslan Ash's most recent tournament result in Saudi Arabia, the FGC may be waiting on his big W for a while.

He has unfairly been trashing this game.
I get the whole "Arslan is one of the best in the world" and all, but I think his frustration is coming from not being as successful in T8 as he would expect. I'm not sure what's going on, but when I saw some of his Jun play he was doing Week 1 combos instead of the more optimal stuff at times. Something just seems off.

LEGEND

YES!
I get the whole "Arslan is one of the best in the world" and all, but I think his frustration is coming from not being as successful in T8 as he would expect. I'm not sure what's going on, but when I saw some of his Jun play he was doing Week 1 combos instead of the more optimal stuff at times. Something just seems off.
Thats the vibe I get as well.
-

On different topic. The only thing I think should change system wise is Rage Art damage. I really like the idea of having a last-minute option if you are getting rolled by mix-ups, but it shouldn't do anywhere close to as much damage as it does right now. Ideally, I'd like to see them never do more than 20 damage. The usefulness should be more about the armor and resetting to neutral.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Thats the vibe I get as well.
-

On different topic. The only thing I think should change system wise is Rage Art damage. I really like the idea of having a last-minute option if you are getting rolled by mix-ups, but it shouldn't do anywhere close to as much damage as it does right now. Ideally, I'd like to see them never do more than 20 damage. The usefulness should be more about the armor and resetting to neutral.
The Rage Art is probably the one mechanic I truly hate. Nothing feels worse than applying late game pressure and doing a jab to see how they react or doing a mix only for your JAB or attack to be eaten by a Rage Art and you die. When opponents have Rage it completely shifts the neutral in their favor before resetting because you have to stop your offense in risk of the all powerful Rage Art. Getting rewarded for being pummelled in the corner is the one mechanic I hate the most. I'll take 10 Heat Burst/Smash to the face over one Rage Art lol.

I think the Armor is way worse than the damage.

Can't hit them out of it because they're armored (will still take damage)
Can't grab them out of it
Can't Heat Smash through it

Oh and the bonus: You can do them per round.