What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

Immortal

Blind justice....
I don't know what these people expected. It's not like Bamco was keeping their plan for the game a secret. Tekken 8 had like several betas not to mention people even found a way to play it all the way till release on PC. It was well known it's gonna be way more offensive than any previous game and it's not like defense doesn't matter either.

Idk for me it looks like (some)people just wanted Tekken 7 with modern graphics. This is not it.

Also Havoc Pakistanian tournament(monthly) just ended and contrary to many crying people in Tekken scene it was not overrun by Azucena or Dragunov players, in fact these were barely seen the whole tournament.

Top 8:

For anybody wondering Arslan Ash was eliminated earlier, he was maining Azucena.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I don't know what these people expected. It's not like Bamco was keeping their plan for the game a secret. Tekken 8 had like several betas not to mention people even found a way to play it all the way till release on PC. It was well known it's gonna be way more offensive than any previous game and it's not like defense doesn't matter either.

Idk for me it looks like (some)people just wanted Tekken 7 with modern graphics. This is not it.

Also Havoc Pakistanian tournament(monthly) just ended and contrary to many crying people in Tekken scene it was not overrun by Azucena or Dragunov players, in fact these were barely seen the whole tournament.

Top 8:

For anybody wondering Arslan Ash was eliminated earlier, he was maining Azucena.
Yeah I guess they thought it would be nerfed. Many of the things people are complaining about are normal in NRS games. Like chip damage, plus frames, and easy mixups. So many of us don’t see the big deal.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I like this tweet. I miss the 2013 era of fighting games. As a green lantern player in injustice, I enjoyed zoning and fighting against zoning. But that era is seemingly over. The devs want more players and more money so this is the direction games are going in. Either adapt or play something else. No point in complaining a lot anymore. They’re going to do what they want.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I was worried about direction when they announced it. Tekken is uniquely positioned to stress things other fighters don't or have been moving away from. Pushing it in this direction seemed way more risky than it would have been for anything else.

It's still fun, and it's not like it's something I am ever going to be affected by, but it seems like an expected reaction given the direction shift.

I do worry about such heavy moving together of different games. On one hand we have a lot of good options and stuff that works may just work in general. But I do like the idea that genuinely different games are allowed to exist that are serving different people. A bunch of games all doing the same expected things in similar ways with a different cast is not where I want us to all end up one day

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Just played in my 1st online tournament and came 3rd with kaz.

This character is still trash and I'm looking for a new main. Thinking of jin think he plays this game very well.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
The devs want more players and more money so this is the direction games are going in. Either adapt or play something else. No point in complaining a lot anymore. They’re going to do what they want.
it has to be seen if they manage to reach that goal. user ratings on steam are going down and in term of sales charts its not that high anymore from what i have seen. i wouldnt be surprised when T7 will still outsell T8 at the end of its run.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Kaz is not trash, he is mediocre in this game. Lives and dies by 50/50, like many other characters. Jin is better.
Kazuya isn’t trash lmao
It's not the move set or how he plays that makes him trash lol. Its the hitbox issues he has. He is very inconsistent. When this happens in a game like this that is very volatile
and the bnb you use ( which already does less damage because his high damage one's are already inconsistent) randomly wiffs and you loose because of it that is what makes him trash. Fix these issues and ill be happy.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
It's not the move set or how he plays that makes him trash lol. Its the hitbox issues he has. He is very inconsistent. When this happens in a game like this that is very volatile
and the bnb you use ( which already does less damage because his high damage one's are already inconsistent) randomly wiffs and you loose because of it that is what makes him trash. Fix these issues and ill be happy.
Yeah that’s true. At a certain level these glitches and inconsistencies cost you rounds.

Im playing devil jin and his rage art literally whiffs when you do it too close to a moving opponent.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I made it to Fujin rank with Jin. Proud of myself. Now I’m taking a break from online play besides private matches.

Going to stay in practice mode with the goal of:
Improving my Jin and Devil Jin
Working on my fundamentals (movement, blocking, teching throws,etc)
And getting a basic understanding of every matchup in the game to reduce the knowledge checks.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Unfortunately, facts have not mattered recently in the Tekken community. Narratives and sensationalism have.

If Arslan Ash cannot place top 8 in his own region using arguably the best character in the game, perhaps he is currently not as good as he and his fanbase think that he is.

In the meantime, Numan is in the grand finals with Steve, the so-called "trash character".

I understand that every fighting game goes through the "post honeymoon" phase, but Tekken 8's consists of almost nothing but bad takes from salty Tekken 7 players who are upset that they are no longer winning.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Unfortunately, facts have not mattered recently in the Tekken community. Narratives and sensationalism have.

If Arslan Ash cannot place top 8 in his own region using arguably the best character in the game, perhaps he is currently not as good as he and his fanbase think that he is.

In the meantime, Numan is in the grand finals with Steve, the so-called "trash character".

I understand that every fighting game goes through the "post honeymoon" phase, but Tekken 8's consists of almost nothing but bad takes from salty Tekken 7 players who are upset that they are no longer winning.
Arslan is very good. Not at the level he wants to be at, but he can beat anyone on the planet if the set is long enough. I don’t think it has to do with his tournament results since he and Knee expressed their frustrations with the game week 1.

Im sure you don’t spend a lot of time on tekken social media, but I do. Most Tekken pros I’ve talked to who played the series at an EVO (top 24 or better) level are saying it’s a party game right now. Not just Arslan and Knee.

Not to mention all the lower level competitive players who don’t enjoy the brain dead offense either.

Since coming to NA, Arslan has been enjoying the game a bit more. Decided to accept it for what it is because at the end of the day it’s his career and he has to perform.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Arslan is very good. Not at the level he wants to be at, but he can beat anyone on the planet if the set is long enough. I don’t think it has to do with his tournament results since he and Knee expressed their frustrations with the game week 1.

Im sure you don’t spend a lot of time on tekken social media, but I do. Most Tekken pros I’ve talked to who played the series at an EVO (top 24 or better) level are saying it’s a party game right now. Not just Arslan and Knee.

Not to mention all the lower level competitive players who don’t enjoy the brain dead offense either.

Since coming to NA, Arslan has been enjoying the game a bit more. Decided to accept it for what it is because at the end of the day it’s his career and he has to perform.

Sorry but I'm not buying any of that. Arslan was very outspoken, then after Knee's latest statement Knee "backtracked it" a lot, then Arslan has been spamming how great the game is now. All around the same time. Sounds a lot more like Papa Bamco made a couple of phone calls and reminded guys about how they want to be remembered.

Anyways, I think a lot of the criticism is overblown and top players are always the most infamous to do it. No the game isn't Tekken 6 or Tekken 7, but it's not supposed to be. Lots of top players did this during early SF6 even though it's a massive upgrade over SF5. KOF players said DEFENSE is TOO GOOD and EASIER in KOF15 and complained that improving the defense was bad. Tekken players are saying the opposite and offense is too good and easy. Veteran players will always complain when changes are made that they have to adapt to because it isn't the 2.0 version of the past game.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
It seems like something happened to the mathmaking.

Basically, it seems like it's prioritizing matching you with players who are both at a similar rank AND similar Tekken Prowess. Unfortunately, this has led to significantly longer queue times since if you're leveling up an alt, it'll take longer for the game to find somebody in Red rank, but with the Prowess of a Blue Rank. It even affects Quick Match as well, but I'd say it's even worse there, because since the matchmaker doesn't really take rank into account in that mode, you could be trying to play a new character that's at Red rank, but get consistently matched with Blue or even Tekken God players on their mains if that's where your Prowess is.

However, it seems to especially hurt players who rank up multiple characters because it inflates your Prowess. So if you peak at Blue rank, but leveled up multiple characters to Purple/Blue as well, the game will now start matching you with players who are Tekken God or even GoD if that's where your Prowess is.

I don't think I like this. Personally, I only play one character so far, so if anything, my matches have gotten easier since I'm not getting matched with players way above my level anymore, but I can see it getting insanely aggravating if I ever try to pick up a secondary. How's the online been for any of you guys? Has it gotten better? Worse? Should Bamco revert the change?

Last edited:

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
It seems like something happened to the mathmaking.

Basically, it seems like it's prioritizing matching you with players who are both at a similar rank AND similar Tekken Prowess. Unfortunately, this has led to significantly longer queue times since if you're leveling up an alt, it'll take longer for the game to find somebody in Red rank, but with the Prowess of a Blue Rank. It even affects Quick Match as well, but I'd say it's even worse there, because since the matchmaker doesn't really take rank into account in that mode, you could be trying to play a new character that's at Red rank, but get consistently matched with Blue or even Tekken God players on their mains if that's where your Prowess is.

However, it seems to especially hurt players who rank up multiple characters because it inflates your Prowess. So if you peak at Blue rank, but leveled up multiple characters to Purple/Blue as well, the game will now start matching you with players who are Tekken God or even GoD if that's where your Prowess is.

I don't think I like this. Personally, I only play one character so far, so if anything, my matches have gotten easier since I'm not getting matched with players way above my level anymore, but I can see it getting insanely aggravating if I ever try to pick up a secondary. How's the online been for any of you guys? Has it gotten better? Worse? Should Bamco revert the change?
Everything is fine for me at Fujin rank. I actually find matches faster now. However the game has been having lag spikes since around the time of the Eddy update.

When I first got the game I didn’t really have lag on wired connections in my region.

rifraf

Noob
Anyways, I think a lot of the criticism is overblown
From what I've heard from people that actually play the game AND know a thing or two about Tekken's history, the game is as cheap and over the top as T6 and as fun as T7, so pretty boring. Idk how Namco managed to decimate the franchise like that but hey. At least they put a cash shop in :laughing:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
From what I've heard from people that actually play the game AND know a thing or two about Tekken's history, the game is as cheap and over the top as T6 and as fun as T7, so pretty boring. Idk how Namco managed to decimate the franchise like that but hey. At least they put a cash shop in :laughing:
If someone believes that then literally every new top game in every franchise is terrible and trash according to people who "actually play the game and know the history". If anything, history tells us to ignore the nonsense and play what you like since half the time the game ends up a "classic" years later that some players/top players were crying about at the time.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Everything is fine for me at Fujin rank. I actually find matches faster now. However the game has been having lag spikes since around the time of the Eddy update.

When I first got the game I didn’t really have lag on wired connections in my region.
How many characters do you play? For me I have 7 characters in Blue and a few in Purple. Matchmaking is officially "here's a bunch of God Rank players all the time to give it to you balls deep, wait extra long for a match now, and getting it even deeper from another God Rank".

This doesn't do it for me. Gonna have to get back fully onto KOF and MK-ErmacGoat until this is fixed. It's the first real gameplay issue that affects me as I'm not gonna be able to play like this bruh lol.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
How many characters do you play? For me I have 7 characters in Blue and a few in Purple.
I am curious. Which characters are those?

I am not sure how long you have been playing Tekken as a franchise, but that feat is fairly impressive.

By the way, are you suggesting that getting games in rank takes a little longer now?

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
How many characters do you play? For me I have 7 characters in Blue and a few in Purple. Matchmaking is officially "here's a bunch of God Rank players all the time to give it to you balls deep, wait extra long for a match now, and getting it even deeper from another God Rank".

This doesn't do it for me. Gonna have to get back fully onto KOF and MK-ErmacGoat until this is fixed. It's the first real gameplay issue that affects me as I'm not gonna be able to play like this bruh lol.
I’ve only ranked up with Jin.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Arslan Ash is essentially saying that he is not allowed to criticism the game right now because he is not winning. However, as soon as he wins a big tournament, he is going to criticize the game more than ever before. LOL. How is he not acting like a passive-aggressive crybaby?

For some reason, only Sajam gets it...