What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

LEGEND

YES!
Lmao, i had 3 pluggers in a row, all 3 of them rank Battle Ruler or Fujin, all plugged before losing first game, all playing Alisa coz they couldn't cheeese me with her(i co mained her in Tekken 7, so i know the MU very well).
I've been strictly playing quick match for about a week now. Ranked is awful.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I don't mind it, people take it way to seriously so i mostly laugh when they leave before the set is over. I don't even bother with personal ban list, i'll just wait for Namco to ban them, thats gonna be a fun day. ;)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't mind it, people take it way to seriously so i mostly laugh when they leave before the set is over. I don't even bother with personal ban list, i'll just wait for Namco to ban them, thats gonna be a fun day. ;)
I think Namco must have messed up something in their coding that would require a massive do-over to give points to the winner of pluggers. Not sure why they never even address that option when asked and it was never fixed in T7 either.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Absolutely should be locked imo. It's only FT2, and because of the way the rank points system works there are WAY too many 1-and-done players. If the ping is too high with lag, then you should get an option to leave, and if connection is solid it should give the set points to the winner. It wasn't that bad in the early ranks but by the time of Purple and Blue Ranks it is filled with dudes who leave if it's a "tough" match. Ranks will stabilize better and faster with a lock.

Funny, Yoshi is my most hated character. They made him easier to use so he's no longer a character you rarely see, and that FLASH is the one move I hate more than any in the game. Perfectly set frame trap? OH NO FLASH INTO COMBO INTO HEAT INSTEAD. Man lol.
His float is bad for me. In 7 if he floated in your face you get a guaranteed jab float combo but now he has that spin move from float he gets a mix up with that and mid kick. But I'm pretty sure you can fuzzy it just hasn't tested yet.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Irrespective of your rank or skill level, what do you guys think of the balance of this game?

I am aware that this game can sometimes feel like "3D anime", but I agree with Harada and Murray.

There is currently too much crying from content creators and high level players alike.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Irrespective of your rank or skill level, what do you guys think of the balance of this game?

I am aware that this game can sometimes feel like "3D anime", but I agree with Harada and Murray.

There is currently too much crying from content creators and high level players alike.
I'm happy to let it ride for now. There is some dumb things it the game for sure but considering it's the vanilla version it's good.
I thought it would be a complete mess on release. I like that they are slowly fixing small things like victors throw but the meta should settle before any major adjustments are made.
One thing I would like to see is ranked locked for the best of 3 and quiters and one and dones losing points. Makes ranked a hell of a grind when it doesn't need to be.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
In the mid ranks of most games, it generally feels like an ignorance play to start trying to comment on balance, but in Tekken it seems extra true.

I understand enough how things work to get that large amounts of "good" stuff in the low ranks is just gimmicks and razzle dazzle that seem super good, but are probably quite worthless in the long run. Just about any character has a stupid string or two that people are just letting rock to the end despite it being punishable, because people keep getting clipped; and that is all it takes to get a high reward off of it. It's very easy to accidentally build up some genuinely tragic habits because something has a fantastic reward but you don't see the downside enough. Things where most everyone lets you off the hook because the knowledge overhead in a game with this many moves and characters is so intense. And if you do punish something you probably won't know for sure it's a punish unless you go check that specific scenario in training or in replay, because the game won't tell you. I'm super glad you can try stuff on a replay, because digging through someone else's character's move list to find a move that was being used against you can be quite a long walk.

I'm not sure how to dig through all of that to even begin to have an honest read on who is good or bad. I assume most people are just going to be mad they got Hwoaranged or Kinged and that's their balance perspective. I don't really see the conversations, but I'd have to wager there are only a select few I'd be willing to accept balance takes from, and even then, I'll never play at a level where it would apply to me out here getting Rolling Death Cradled for free.

Immortal

Blind justice....

I see people complain every day and if you add it up it would be like nerf "everybody", coz it's like new character every day(well maybe with an exception of Bryan lol). After fixing the obvious busted shit with dmg scaling, wall dmg. combo extensions etc...
I feel like we're in a decent place right now and there is no need for any drastic action. So for now - let it rock.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I understand enough how things work to get that large amounts of "good" stuff in the low ranks is just gimmicks and razzle dazzle that seem super good, but are probably quite worthless in the long run. Just about any character has a stupid string or two that people are just letting rock to the end despite it being punishable, because people keep getting clipped; and that is all it takes to get a high reward off of it. It's very easy to accidentally build up some genuinely tragic habits because something has a fantastic reward but you don't see the downside enough. Things where most everyone lets you off the hook because the knowledge overhead in a game with this many moves and characters is so intense. And if you do punish something you probably won't know for sure it's a punish unless you go check that specific scenario in training or in replay, because the game won't tell you. I'm super glad you can try stuff on a replay, because digging through someone else's character's move list to find a move that was being used against you can be quite a long walk.
Well-said.

Due to the long move lists, there is, unfortunately, an unforgiving knowledge check to the extent that you could lose, even if you are the better player, because you are unaware that a string is high, mid, mid and -10 on block or safe, but the last hit can be stepped to the right. This aspect of the game always gives the player something to lab, something to do, in practice mode, yet there is this feeling of "chore" and "homework" associated with testing one character's frame data, hit range, tracking, etc. for a damn 100+ moves.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
The knowledge checks are the main reason why I'd love for them to add infinite rematches. I know that it was a thing in T7, so I hope they eventually bring it back. The FT2 sets are making it a huge pain to actually ingrain the things that I've been labbing, and once it's done, it'll take God knows how long before I'm matched against that character again, so I might even forget what it was that I labbed. Long sets against good players are some of the most fun I have in fighting games, so it's a real shame that Tekken 8 doesn't have something like it yet. The current format reminds me of "rAnKeD" in MKX, where the one-and-done nature of the mode ecourages the most degenerate unga-bunga I've ever seen.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

More balanced than T7 was at launch which is great for a cast of 32 characters and a bazillion moves each. Like any FG there are some characters that will be better than others, but at the highest level of play the pros themselves have flipped tiers by the weeks. First Jun and Jack were super S Tier, then Azucena, Devil Jin, and Jin were getting hype, now it's all about Dragonuv, Ling, and Feng non-stop. It's probably the biggest example of "way too early" we've seen in a FG in a while. In our day people had to figure things out on Tekken Zaibatsu and grind it out but nowadays I think players are conditioned to cry for changes due to knowing future patches will arrive.

I'd rather they prioritize fixing this garbage plugging issue and hopefully lock the sets 2/3 and maybe do a few tweaks of the "obvious" things like some of the wonky phantom hitboxes or a couple of the combo inconsistencies a couple of characters have and give it some more months to breathe.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The knowledge checks are the main reason why I'd love for them to add infinite rematches. I know that it was a thing in T7, so I hope they eventually bring it back. The FT2 sets are making it a huge pain to actually ingrain the things that I've been labbing, and once it's done, it'll take God knows how long before I'm matched against that character again, so I might even forget what it was that I labbed. Long sets against good players are some of the most fun I have in fighting games, so it's a real shame that Tekken 8 doesn't have something like it yet. The current format reminds me of "rAnKeD" in MKX, where the one-and-done nature of the mode ecourages the most degenerate unga-bunga I've ever seen.
They have to bring it back. At least an option that says "continue in private" that both players can click after a FT2. A lot of times I'd love to run the set with players I see but you can't and the messaging community option no one sees on time and it's too inconvenient. At least add some "infinite" stations in the Lounge. Something.

after playing tekken 8 for a while, i dont think its a good fighting game. its just the wrong mix between uber-complicated and really cheap.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I disagree, i think it's a very good fighting game and at very high level of play its very complicated.

Using anything cheap and getting away with it is just a knowledge check which has no place at the highest level of play. The problem with Tekken is and always was the same - new people will not get into it, not into high level of play coz they're at least decade behind in knowledge and this game reward knowledge like almost no other FG.

Not to mention Tekken practice mode is an absolute masterclass on how things should be in FG and the online netcode is very good. It's just a good game, made well in all aspects. Flip side to this is MK1, where almost everything is either lacking or feels bare bones.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
after playing tekken 8 for a while, i dont think its a good fighting game. its just the wrong mix between uber-complicated and really cheap.
Not liking a game is certainly understandable, but think about your assessment of "wrong mix between uber-complicated and really cheap". It's highly likely that things you're finding "cheap" are because you don't have enough experience to counter them yet. For example a character like Jun lower levels complain that "oh she has multiple strings that she's automatically +6 into stance all the time". But at higher levels if you aren't hit confirming 122 on counter hit you're absolutely getting ducked and launched for a full combo if you throw it out in neutral. Or getting stuck behind Dragonuv pressure saying how cheap and OP it is but barely sidestepping obvious flowcharts when pressured. It might feel like that for many new players because it takes time to learn things in Tekken that would be multiple NRS games combined, so there's a bit of a culture shock going on. But for anyone willing, the practice mode is truly a game changing one of a kind.

I disagree, i think it's a very good fighting game and at very high level of play its very complicated.

Using anything cheap and getting away with it is just a knowledge check which has no place at the highest level of play. The problem with Tekken is and always was the same - new people will not get into it, not into high level of play coz they're at least decade behind in knowledge and this game reward knowledge like almost no other FG.

Not to mention Tekken practice mode is an absolute masterclass on how things should be in FG and the online netcode is very good. It's just a good game, made well in all aspects. Flip side to this is MK1, where almost everything is either lacking or feels bare bones.
Not liking a game is certainly understandable, but think about your assessment of "wrong mix between uber-complicated and really cheap". It's highly likely that things you're finding "cheap" are because you don't have enough experience to counter them yet. For example a character like Jun lower levels complain that "oh she has multiple strings that she's automatically +6 into stance all the time". But at higher levels if you aren't hit confirming 122 on counter hit you're absolutely getting ducked and launched for a full combo if you throw it out in neutral. Or getting stuck behind Dragonuv pressure saying how cheap and OP it is but barely sidestepping obvious flowcharts when pressured. It might feel like that for many new players because it takes time to learn things in Tekken that would be multiple NRS games combined, so there's a bit of a culture shock going on. But for anyone willing, the practice mode is truly a game changing one of a kind.
maybe. i'm not feeling it much though. it doesnt help that i cant find a character i really click with and its super tedious to pick up a new one. tekkens cheapness happens on knockdown imo and some chars low/mid game. and about the practice mode: it does some things really well but it also lacks absolutely basic stuff, like showing move properties and frame data in the move list. if you want to find a certain stituational move, you gotta execute the whole 100+ move list every single time on hit AND block just to access the move data; and lets not even start about finding optimal combos by yourself. complexity itself is usually no issue for me - i did learn VF5 to a degree. but tekken - i dunno, i have a gut feeling that even the core community wont be as happy with it in the long run, opposite to the initial hype.

Immortal

Blind justice....
about the practice mode: it does some things really well but it also lacks absolutely basic stuff, like showing move properties and frame data in the move list. if you want to find a certain stituational move, you gotta execute the whole 100+ move list every single time on hit AND block just to access the move data; and lets not even start about finding optimal combos by yourself. complexity itself is usually no issue for me - i did learn VF5 to a degree. but tekken - i dunno, i have a gut feeling that even the core community wont be as happy with it in the long run, opposite to the initial hype.
It goes back to Tekken being a legacy game and different idea about new players comming in now. There is no way a new player is gonna go throu even half of the moves of one character, it doesn't even make sense, since nobody is using even 1/5th of it anyway.

The idea for new players is to watch their own replays, where they can see all the frame data live all the moves being used with game giving them tips which should they duck, which should they punish, how should they punish it. You can pause, play, try anything at any point in the match. It's trully amazing. It's way more efficent way to learn than go throu lets say list of 20 moves in MK and see frames on it and... good luck.

As for optimal combos it's a mixed bag, the game gives you basic and decent ones but it doesn't show you everything for every scenario(walls etc..) and that's fine. Learning optimal combos is the last thing a new player needs to learn. By the time a new player learns everything important he won't have troubles with optimal combos.

I really think Tekken 8 practice mode is amazing, the best in any FG till date by a long shot. That being said obviously not everybody gonna like the game, nothing new here, some people didn't like Tekken before and still don't. Nothing wrong with that but there is no denying the fact that Tekken 8 is a complete package, a good game/product.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
Nothing wrong with that but there is no denying the fact that Tekken 8 is a complete package, a good game/product.
depends on what you consider good. complete in term of modes and stuff, yes but the shop left a sour taste in many peoples mouth.
there plenty of strange tracking/hitbox behaviour videos on reddit being posted daily and i encountered that ingame too more then enough time where i get clipped despite sidewalking and the attack going into a other direction. add to that the homing of grabs now and the whole play agressive heat mechanic which you cant even avoid when you dont want to use it because it activates on certain moves if you want it or not and yeah...i dont enjoy this game at all and i already installed t7 back and had more fun there in quickplay/endless matches then during my time in t8.

t8 is pretty to look at but thats it for me. gameplay in its current state just is not fun as it was in t7. i am curious which direction they will go with future balance patches.

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
depends on what you consider good. complete in term of modes and stuff, yes but the shop left a sour taste in many peoples mouth.
I meant how much and how well made is the stuff that is already in the game. I do agree that the shop is "greed" move but honestly i couldn't care less about it since everything i want from this game is already in it. I didn't even look at the shop yet and i probably never will.
there plenty of strange tracking/hitbox behaviour videos on reddit being posted daily and i encountered that ingame too more then enough time where i get clipped despite sidewalking and the attack going into a other direction.
There are, i've seen a lot but i also remember Tekken 7 launch and imo this is waaaay better than it was back then. I do hope they gonna fix most of it in a decent time frame.
add to that the homing of grabs now and the whole play agressive heat mechanic which you cant even avoid when you dont want to use it because it activates on certain moves if you want it or not and yeah...i dont enjoy this game at all and i already installed t7 back and had more fun there in quickplay/endless matches then during my time in t8.
That's fair, everybody should play what they enjoy. Thou i may add - i didn't like Rage drive in T7 same as i don't like Heat in T8. It's the same coin for me just different sides of it. That being said i do enjoy playing Tekken 8 and i also think balance of T8 now is much, much better than it was in T7 first few years. Character representation in tournaments is amazing.