What's new

Tekken 8 Post-Release Discussion Thread

On paper these Paul Buffs are odd because it seems they are buffing mostly useless moves (New stance, I am looking at you.)
The buffs I am mostly interested in are:
Charged Hammer of the gods guard break
13 frame heat punish with f+2
WS 3 being plus 6 on hit

I do want to see the counter hit changes for Hammer of the gods and WR2 to see if they are good buffs or not too.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
Im curious, has anyone else experienced the phenomena of:
A) Going auto-pilot while playing, but are doing better on auto-pilot.
B) Experience that after match 1 of a set. The losing player is very likely to win

UghGetOuttaHere

Translated the balance changes for characters I'm using this season:
Azucena
1,1 is now delaybale
F1+2 high power crush HE's have been Universally toned down. (Less tracking, less push back,etc)
Lib & BT can be entered from crouch
Df 1,4 can enter BT
D 4, 1 can cancel into Lib
B3+4 faster
Ff 3+4 knocks down on hit
BT 3 now a special screw in juggles
Lib 4, 1 overall a better stagger tool

Jun
Can now heal true HP inaddition to recoverable
Izumo 1,1 / ss2 / & all izumo transitions grant health on hit.
DB1,1,1+2 grants health on hit
Ff2,2 is a tornado in juggles
U1 consumes less health
Full crouch df2 scales combos more
Gen 1 is safer
Gen 3,1 is delayable, hit confirmable, better tracking and doesn't jail so it has a mind game now. Can go into crouching off of Gen 3

Nina
A slap on the wrist
Blonde bomb less tracking
D3,4,3 can be parried
Df 3+4 (Slow WTF) no longer enters crouching frame 1

Raven:
-His FC df3 can now be inputed as d, df 3. Meaning it can be used from standing and crouch dash.
-BT F3 and DB2 got bigger hitboxes that hit lower to the ground
-BT F3 is now more positive on hit. Guarantees a 14 frame move on CH (11 frame if stays BT).
-BT F4 is +4 on hit now and more damage

Zafina:
Ws 1,2 is a real launcher

Last edited:

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
As a King and Dragunov player, the universal nerfs to command throws is annoying. They are both still strong characters but, it would have been more interesting IMO if for instance King got tracking command throws while in heat only or something along those lines. The buffs King received to help him set up his throws more often is cool though.

Immortal

Blind justice....
It's been a while but i'm still playing Tekken 8. Still think it's a good game, much better than MK1 which in current state imo is pretty bland.

Didn't rank up much thou, still mostly Tekken King/Emperor thou i learned a lot and still am learning. Waiting for Lidia.

Fun observation, i was in USA(NY) for like 3 weeks(work related) had a lot of free time in the evening so i played T8 from fresh account and imo ranked in USA is way easier than EU. Like most of Bushin/Tekken King players i've encounter there wouldn't make past Kishin in EU lol. Also there is like 10x more people playing on WIFI and connection quality sucks quite often.

@SaltShaker cool nickname :D

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
It's been a while but i'm still playing Tekken 8. Still think it's a good game, much better than MK1 which in current state imo is pretty bland.

Didn't rank up much thou, still mostly Tekken King/Emperor thou i learned a lot and still am learning. Waiting for Lidia.

Fun observetation, i was in USA(NY) for like 3 weeks(work related) had a lot of free time in the evening so i played T8 from fresh account and imo ranked in USA is way easier than EU. Like most of Bushin/Tekken King players i've encounter there wouldn't make past Kishin in EU lol. Also there is like 10x more people playing on WIFI and connection quality sucks quite often.

@SaltShaker cool nickname :D
Yea it's definitely still really good. I took a break for a bit a couple of times both for work and when HomeLander was released, but I'm really liking it after the 1.05 patch now. I'll probably hit the grind again. Feels like they should keep going in this direction for the overall gameplay elements. The best thing about Tekken vs other fighters is that they make it so much easier for you to learn which is what keeps me hooked and improving each time I lab or enter my own replays.

Also I believe it haha and also if you fight someone on wifi even that feels easier sometimes than players on wired. It could be mental but feel like there's legitimacy to it. Another factor is the character. If I fight someone at Bushin/Tekken King who is using Lee for example almost always they feel like they should be even higher ranked feeling like every second is intense, but if I fight someone using Victor or Hwoarang or King I'm often like "how on earth did they get this high but thanks for the free win I guess?". There is still a lack of defense against certain characters that gets abused up the ladder I believe.

And thanks haha I've gotten many messages due to the name from "you're lying to people" to "accept my invite and run it back you're a scrub and I'll murder you right now" LOL

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Finally, finally, FINALLY made it to the Promised Land (well mine at least lol). Tekken King boizzzz.

File so large TYM is even not allowing it wow. :DOGE
I did not think that you would stoop so low and use Xiaoyu. I am Tekken Emperor with an honest character named Kuma... :p

In all seriousness, I never imagined you using Xiaoyu.

Still think it's a good game, much better than MK1...
Easily.

I oppose some of the changes in these recent patches, but the game remains good and fun to play unlike Mortal Kombat 1.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I did not think that you would stoop so low and use Xiaoyu. I am Tekken Emperor with an honest character named Kuma... :p

In all seriousness, I never imagined you using Xiaoyu.

Easily.

I oppose some of the changes in these recent patches, but the game remains good and fun to play unlike Mortal Kombat 1.
Haha that's just not right, I hate fighting a good Kuma it can be so frustrating lol and Kuma hits like a truck! I am in a bit of a character crisis though. I felt like Leo is just so overrated and closer to low than mid tier once someone knows the MU so decided to try some of the other characters I got up to Blue Ranks, but they all still felt like alts. Then I tried Xiaoyu again and something just clicked, mainly the setplay/frame traps/mixups really started coming together and the "when to do what" with her movement and baiting so I've been giving her a serious run and got here. I'm probably one of the most defensive Xiaoyu players ever seen. My "aggressive" rating is a 6/25 and stats like Concentration or Throw Escape or Block are all high haha.

I'm still not sold she's 100% the character for me though since she runs pretty much opposite the style I typically play, so I'm thinking to try Bryan next after the taunt scaling buff. He and Wang were my original mains back in T5 when I used to play Tekken a lot so at worst picking him up should be easy. Steve is the other I'm considering. But I might try to push up another rank or two or see how hard it is to do so at least with her before making a switch just to know where the ceiling is first.

And yea definitely agree imo it's the best FG out imo. I've rotated through like 5 in the last year haha but Tekken and KOF are the main ones I come back to and/or put the most time in. Just so much depth and options it's hard not to wanna build on that both offensively and defensively.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Now lets be real here guys, you're all tier whores. The only one playing a honest character here is obviously me with Dragunov. :p

My sparing partner play mainly Ling(made GoD with her easily) and man, when played correctly she is a definition of pure cancer(forced 50/50) and BS(going under mids lol). You can cheese your way throu ranks easily(same with Yoshi) since almost nobody below Tekken King+ knows half of her options. That being said since i play vs her so much i'm ok in that MU but i see a lot of people struggling vs her and that's understandable.

UghGetOuttaHere

And yea definitely agree imo it's the best FG out imo. I've rotated through like 5 in the last year haha but Tekken and KOF are the main ones I come back to and/or put the most time in. Just so much depth and options it's hard not to wanna build on that both offensively and defensively.
Miss Wang </3. Based on your play style description, I think you could end up liking both Steve and Bryan. Probably Bryan first because he caters to a more methodical/defensive playstyle.
I have rotated through many fighting games as well. Tekken has always been the game I excel over the others, I've been playing it since Tekken 2. Kof 15 is my first KOF, I find it funny that you compared the two, because Ive always considered Tekken & Kof at the top of the list. Admittedly, Skullgirls would have to be up there too.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Miss Wang </3. Based on your play style description, I think you could end up liking both Steve and Bryan. Probably Bryan first because he caters to a more methodical/defensive playstyle.
I have rotated through many fighting games as well. Tekken has always been the game I excel over the others, I've been playing it since Tekken 2. Kof 15 is my first KOF, I find it funny that you compared the two, because Ive always considered Tekken & Kof at the top of the list. Admittedly, Skullgirls would have to be up there too.
Unfortunately it seems like characters like Wang/Bruce types will never return. An old master type like Wang is perfect for Tekken (no I don't count Leroy because he's too cool lol) but he's literally dead now lol.

And yea I agree for sure, it's probably why I keep gravitating to them before picking them up. I've probably got the weirdest performance stat Xiaoyu ever. 68.2% Win rate which is good and means there's still room to go up, but also high Defensive stats and a "6" in Aggressiveness lol. This just can't be the way most people would play her so I feel I'm not gonna be able to reach my ceiling with her vs another character, even though I've been doing better with her than the others I've played so far. Just weird lol. But I'll probably try Bryan next for those exact reasons. The CHs, spacing tools, taunt cancels, and high damage I'm guessing are gonna feel much more at home.

Ya KOF I've been playing since the beginning of time haha. I think I shared the pic before but my fightstick is an Athena custom I made from different KOF years. Love the games because they're so much of a full package. Tekken gives a similar feel, where there's just so much you can do and you can play characters differently than someone else does and I always feel the player beat me if I lose vs the game beating you. Funny enough, Skullgirls is one of the few FGs I've never actually played. I've been tempted but am always playing something else and never tried it. R.I.P.

UghGetOuttaHere

Unfortunately it seems like characters like Wang/Bruce types will never return. An old master type like Wang is perfect for Tekken (no I don't count Leroy because he's too cool lol) but he's literally dead now lol.

And yea I agree for sure, it's probably why I keep gravitating to them before picking them up. I've probably got the weirdest performance stat Xiaoyu ever. 68.2% Win rate which is good and means there's still room to go up, but also high Defensive stats and a "6" in Aggressiveness lol. This just can't be the way most people would play her so I feel I'm not gonna be able to reach my ceiling with her vs another character, even though I've been doing better with her than the others I've played so far. Just weird lol. But I'll probably try Bryan next for those exact reasons. The CHs, spacing tools, taunt cancels, and high damage I'm guessing are gonna feel much more at home.

Ya KOF I've been playing since the beginning of time haha. I think I shared the pic before but my fightstick is an Athena custom I made from different KOF years. Love the games because they're so much of a full package. Tekken gives a similar feel, where there's just so much you can do and you can play characters differently than someone else does and I always feel the player beat me if I lose vs the game beating you. Funny enough, Skullgirls is one of the few FGs I've never actually played. I've been tempted but am always playing something else and never tried it. R.I.P.
Never say never with Tekken DLC. The tekken team made it clear they will do what ever generate the money. Even still, based off of the pattern, we are due a 3rd installment of Tag Tournament after Tekken 9. The previous tag games always include the entire cast so there is at least that to hold on to. I have this theory that some of these characters were introduced so more characters can have a clone in Tag3.

If you want to pick my brain on Xiayou, I'd be more than happy to help. I haven't played her much in 7/8, but I've been playing her since tekken 3. Its probably a little rough adjusting to her nerfs. Being aggressive with her anyone is generally the key in this game. I feel like she still thrives on trickery and Evasion.

I cant even tell you what I like about kof so much... but it's addictive. My kof binge usually end up lasting months. I HIGHLY recommend skullgirls for anyone who is a fan of fighting games.. but get it for PC if you want to actually find people online. It runs on my run-of-the-mill MacBook very well.

Edit: btw the aggressiveness stat is a little misleading in my opinion because I think it specfically has to do with chasing down an opponent who got knocked down. I gotta look more into that

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Never say never with Tekken DLC. The tekken team made it clear they will do what ever generate the money. Even still, based off of the pattern, we are due a 3rd installment of Tag Tournament after Tekken 9. The previous tag games always include the entire cast so there is at least that to hold on to. I have this theory that some of these characters were introduced so more characters can have a clone in Tag3.

If you want to pick my brain on Xiayou, I'd be more than happy to help. I haven't played her much in 7/8, but I've been playing her since tekken 3. Its probably a little rough adjusting to her nerfs. Being aggressive with her anyone is generally the key in this game. I feel like she still thrives on trickery and Evasion.

I cant even tell you what I like about kof so much... but it's addictive. My kof binge usually end up lasting months. I HIGHLY recommend skullgirls for anyone who is a fan of fighting games.. but get it for PC if you want to actually find people online. It runs on my run-of-the-mill MacBook very well.

Edit: btw the aggressiveness stat is a little misleading in my opinion because I think it specfically has to do with chasing down an opponent who got knocked down. I gotta look more into that
Oh if you used to play Xiaoyu I have a big one. The one thing I can't do consistently is utilize pressure in Back Turn. Like say if I do DB2, now I've poked them and I'm back turned at +5. But I feel at higher levels I'm missing something because options feel limited in some MUs. 1+2, 4 gets ducked, D4 gets you blocked and destroyed, S4 gets you losing 50% health, Waning Moon gets SS/duck launched. Bruh lol. I end up going for more poke play or evasion and leave back turn quickly after when I see someone knows the MU, but I feel like I am missing something big here and/or leaving a chunk of her game off the table.

Because KOF is the GOAT lol. I've probably put in KOF 2002 UM hours more than any FG on the planet. You basically get everything, every playstyle, all types of characters from easy mash to ultra execution, and the 3-team concept is done wonderfully. Just a great series I wish got the big spotlights that MK always bungles lol. I've always heard Skullgirls is awesome. I'll have to give it a run one day, legit I've never heard a bad comment about it.

Also that would actually make sense. I rarely ever chase anyone down if I'm not right on top of them for pressure/Oki/mix so that would add up. Like I'll run up just far enough where there's no way they can hit me to see if I can whiff punish something and if not then we both reset neutral haha.

UghGetOuttaHere

Oh if you used to play Xiaoyu I have a big one. The one thing I can't do consistently is utilize pressure in Back Turn. Like say if I do DB2, now I've poked them and I'm back turned at +5. But I feel at higher levels I'm missing something because options feel limited in some MUs. 1+2, 4 gets ducked, D4 gets you blocked and destroyed, S4 gets you losing 50% health, Waning Moon gets SS/duck launched. Bruh lol. I end up going for more poke play or evasion and leave back turn quickly after when I see someone knows the MU, but I feel like I am missing something big here and/or leaving a chunk of her game off the table.

Because KOF is the GOAT lol. I've probably put in KOF 2002 UM hours more than any FG on the planet. You basically get everything, every playstyle, all types of characters from easy mash to ultra execution, and the 3-team concept is done wonderfully. Just a great series I wish got the big spotlights that MK always bungles lol. I've always heard Skullgirls is awesome. I'll have to give it a run one day, legit I've never heard a bad comment about it.

Also that would actually make sense. I rarely ever chase anyone down if I'm not right on top of them for pressure/Oki/mix so that would add up. Like I'll run up just far enough where there's no way they can hit me to see if I can whiff punish something and if not then we both reset neutral haha.
For comparison, I have a 69% Win rate with xiayou in this game. Ive used her way more than I recollect lol. Excellent question tho.
So BT +5: make sure you are watching how your opponent likes to retaliate in this scenario because itll help you pick an option. your options to demand respect are BT2 and BT4. These are nice when you wanna call someone out but not ideal because they are both be punished if correctly predicted. BT2,2,1 can help if you're unsure if they will duck and it's all NC.
You have reverse nut cracker (BT DB4) at i15 frames. If this counter hits you get a free heat engager (Or any i14 frame move or faster). And it's +2 on block.
If your opponent is low jabbing you, you have Peg Leg (BT3) to beat that or any low. If they are high jabbing, you can California roll or monkey kick.
BT1 is i16 so not a perfect frame trap but will beat anything that's not perfect retaliation. And it's a CH launcher that's safe.
Don't forget that BT1+2 also has a mid extension to discourage ducking... and don't under estimate doing just plain BT1+2 and continue pressure. The move is also VERY hitcomfirmable.
That's all her real stuff, but her movement and shenanigans will take you far as well. BT B3+4 comes to mind. Bait and punish.

Upon looking my Aggressiveness is eerily low but my attack frequency is S+. But I feel like I chase ppl down 9times out of 10.

Kof is marvelous even through the gripes I have with the current one lol. Mainly my inputs not registering. I've watched many a 2002UM tournament it looks so fun I hope we get May Lee for the last wave of DLC. Going be on that Mark of the Wolves too. But that's another thing, KOF is my all time favorite game to spectate

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
For comparison, I have a 69% Win rate with xiayou in this game. Ive used her way more than I recollect lol. Excellent question tho.
So BT +5: make sure you are watching how your opponent likes to retaliate in this scenario because itll help you pick an option. your options to demand respect are BT2 and BT4. These are nice when you wanna call someone out but not ideal because they are both be punished if correctly predicted. BT2,2,1 can help if you're unsure if they will duck and it's all NC.
You have reverse nut cracker (BT DB4) at i15 frames. If this counter hits you get a free heat engager (Or any i14 frame move or faster). And it's +2 on block.
If your opponent is low jabbing you, you have Peg Leg (BT3) to beat that or any low. If they are high jabbing, you can California roll or monkey kick.
BT1 is i16 so not a perfect frame trap but will beat anything that's not perfect retaliation. And it's a CH launcher that's safe.
Don't forget that BT1+2 also has a mid extension to discourage ducking... and don't under estimate doing just plain BT1+2 and continue pressure. The move is also VERY hitcomfirmable.
That's all her real stuff, but her movement and shenanigans will take you far as well. BT B3+4 comes to mind. Bait and punish.

Upon looking my Aggressiveness is eerily low but my attack frequency is S+. But I feel like I chase ppl down 9times out of 10.

Kof is marvelous even through the gripes I have with the current one lol. Mainly my inputs not registering. I've watched many a 2002UM tournament it looks so fun I hope we get May Lee for the last wave of DLC. Going be on that Mark of the Wolves too. But that's another thing, KOF is my all time favorite game to spectate
Mannn that's actually super helpful, and a lot of that will be new additions for me. Much appreciated. This is what is great about Tekken, always some depth to add to the game.

Yea you already knowwwww im counting down the days for Mark of the Wolves. I'll probably be a hermit for a week after launch LOL!

UghGetOuttaHere

Mannn that's actually super helpful, and a lot of that will be new additions for me. Much appreciated. This is what is great about Tekken, always some depth to add to the game.

Yea you already knowwwww im counting down the days for Mark of the Wolves. I'll probably be a hermit for a week after launch LOL!
Glad to be able to help! Ranked tekken specfically is all about figuring out if you gotta put on your scrub brain, pro brain, or somewhere in-between... and you have about 1 round to figure it out. Determining which mindset you need will help you with choosing your options. Risk, reward, blah blah blah

After they announced B.jenet it was practically pre-ordered. She was an unexpected favorite of mine in kof 15

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Is it active? Does it have basic character information (i.e., combos, punishment, whiff punishment, etc.)?

Those fools at the official Tekken Discord have banned me.
Got banned for calling too many people fools. :laughing:

The individual character-specific discords are pretty active with all the important tech talk if you haven't used those yet. They are much better than the Tekken Discord was. I used to use the Leo one a lot a few months back and now follow the Steve one because he's been my current labbing character. They have individual punishment sections, written guide sections, combo sections, etc.