What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I can't possibly be the only Akuma fuccboi in here?
You know, Akuma may be the only character I was dead set on NOT playing. Once I made the decision to take Tekken seriously and learn to play competently, I wanted to start with a true, honest-to-goodness Tekken character. I didn't want a guest character with Street Fighter moves or a character inspired by Street Fighter (at least that's what I think of Eliza).

But when I'm finally comfortable with the Tekken world and mechanics, I might give them both a look, for fun if nothing else. I've got years of casual Street Fighter to my name and I'm not playing SFV anytime soon.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
You know, Akuma may be the only character I was dead set on NOT playing. Once I made the decision to take Tekken seriously and learn to play competently, I wanted to start with a true, honest-to-goodness Tekken character. I didn't want a guest character with Street Fighter moves or a character inspired by Street Fighter (at least that's what I think of Eliza).

But when I'm finally comfortable with the Tekken world and mechanics, I might give them both a look, for fun if nothing else. I've got years of casual Street Fighter to my name and I'm not playing SFV anytime soon.

This is interesting because it I'd exactly how I feel and approached the game, coming from a similar SF background.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I finally looked up the answer to the character Unknown. Just some Tekken info I realized I never knew.

Lei- the advanced of the advanced characters. 13 different stances, many tricks, set ups, evades, versatility. Very unique and unpredictable character.

Julia the Goddess- One of the best CH chars in the game, heavy damage, wall of death damage, solid whiff punishing, good mixups and good neutral options. Very linear and prone to being side stepped.

Anna- Heavy pressure, great FC mixups and mixups in general, great lows, solid oki, very few weakspots if any.
No love for Michelle?

Kunimitsu - Strong keep out game, strong oki and 50-50 mixups, great damage output, amazing approach with a really good CH launch, safe launcher, amazing evade options, mediocre lows.
I was hoping to get everyone who's not in yet, which is why I figured that'd be a lot. Wang, Zafina, Ganryu, and Alex/Roger Jr. I think that covers it for classics not in yet. (Even though we somehow included a yoshi traitor/clone. :p)

Last edited:

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
@Immortal I'm very new to the game but have played all Tekkens since the first, and besides Yoshi, Nina is (one of) my favourite characters, and I been really liking her in T7.
I have been told a lot though, and seen it everywhere, how difficult she is, and obviously I'm probably not doing optimal stuff, but judging from her moves in training, she doesn't seem too hard?
I can consistently pull off all her "sample" combos (once again, I'm sure they're not optimal) and have had a bit of success using her against my training partner.

However after receiving solid advice I have dropped her, because I am super new she is not a good character to learn the meta of the game and movement with.

But I just need someone to explain to me why she is "so hard" and what exactly is difficult about what she does?

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
@Immortal I'm very new to the game but have played all Tekkens since the first, and besides Yoshi, Nina is (one of) my favourite characters, and I been really liking her in T7.
I have been told a lot though, and seen it everywhere, how difficult she is, and obviously I'm probably not doing optimal stuff, but judging from her moves in training, she doesn't seem too hard?
I can consistently pull off all her "sample" combos (once again, I'm sure they're not optimal) and have had a bit of success using her against my training partner.

However after receiving solid advice I have dropped her, because I am super new she is not a good character to learn the meta of the game and movement with.

But I just need someone to explain to me why she is "so hard" and what exactly is difficult about what she does?
Butterfly loops. Nina's butterfly combos are extremely damaging and have ridiculously stupid wall-carry, they are a necessity if you want to play the character to her potential, however they are some of the most difficult in the game to pull off. Try them in practice but make to stop trying right before you scratch your eyes out or break your controller from frustration.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@buyacushun Michelle was a TTT2 shoutout but she likely was a one time deal. Julia is her successor so by the time she returns I'm sure the whole "Jaycee" crap will be gone and she'll be back to regular Julia again.

Though funny thing, back in the original Tekken 1 Michelle was the very first character I ever played lol.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Currently labbing Akuma, labbing Shaheen yesterday made me initially a bit salty lol. Still Claudio, Lucky Chloe and Eliza to go out of the new characters. As for having issues with Gigas, @Immortal you will need to be more specific.

What the new characters seem to have in common, is absurd tracking properties on i10-i15. 2nd hit of jab strings track, not only do they have i13 mids to track one way, they got like i12 highs or i14 mids to track the other way. Just from Labbing I can tell that Shaheen and Katarina surpass most of the legacy characters in i10-i15. Like seriously, if you are new to the game, what's the point of picking up Lee or Law at this point when you could just pick Shaheen or even Katarina? Lee has multiple just frames and a hard-ass carry combo, Law has DSS cancels from strings, both characters take time and effort to master. Shaheen is ez mode with all the best legacy moves slapped into one character apart from i16-i20... and for some mysterious reason even his hop kick has to track to his right... and he even has an i14 attack throw on an fb2 input that does 55 damage, like a jet uppercut, just without the combo... and just so you can't step into a standing 4 to blow up some of his strings he has an i15 homing high that launches into tailspin on CH. And just so you can't block too much, a slide character also has to have a safe orbital heel. I tried to practice stepping left and EWGF launching his df1 but the hitbox on that thing stays active for longer than other characters, it's difficult to do consistently in practice mode, in a real match you have a shitload of other moves to worry about, way more so than with the legacy characters at close range. You rely too much on generic d4's to keep Shaheen in check and he can just orbital heel you. The threshold to commit to that move is way lower than to commit to a hop kick when pressuring.... Oh and Katarina's standing 4 is i11 and tracks to her right, like seriously dafuq? Not a biggie when the direction to step her is generally to her left or your right but she has a safe i14 mid string to track that way where as her df1 tracks to her right and the jailing high extension tracks in all directions... as in, you have to walk right into duck to blow her up, but then again she can not just finish the string and keep pushing buttons.

Why did they have to give the new characters retarded tracking when they already made it so that sidestep-block doesn't evade and you must wait for the step to finish and essentially commit to it? With the OP tracking you might as well just commit to a walk and if you don't get a string to punish then at least go for a throw attempt on a single hit poke. Even that is risky. Online you try to go for a throw on a whiffed df1, you will surely get hop kicked once that crappy wifi connection on their end starts to fluctuate.

Chances are I won't play Mishimas against those 2. Bryan can step into iWS3 to both punish and CH strings in between hits while going under highs during the qcf... Or I dunno, maybe I am just getting salty over nothing and it's just the "this shit is new and I have to adjust" salt :D

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
As for the character breakdowns, Anna is a strong contender for having the worst mids in the entire franchise.

Edit: Kuni is also ass and there is no reason to pick her over Yoshi or Raven.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Currently labbing Akuma, labbing Shaheen yesterday made me initially a bit salty lol. Still Claudio, Lucky Chloe and Eliza to go out of the new characters. As for having issues with Gigas, @Immortal you will need to be more specific.

What the new characters seem to have in common, is absurd tracking properties on i10-i15. 2nd hit of jab strings track, not only do they have i13 mids to track one way, they got like i12 highs or i14 mids to track the other way. Just from Labbing I can tell that Shaheen and Katarina surpass most of the legacy characters in i10-i15. Like seriously, if you are new to the game, what's the point of picking up Lee or Law at this point when you could just pick Shaheen or even Katarina? Lee has multiple just frames and a hard-ass carry combo, Law has DSS cancels from strings, both characters take time and effort to master. Shaheen is ez mode with all the best legacy moves slapped into one character apart from i16-i20... and for some mysterious reason even his hop kick has to track to his right... and he even has an i14 attack throw on an fb2 input that does 55 damage, like a jet uppercut, just without the combo... and just so you can't step into a standing 4 to blow up some of his strings he has an i15 homing high that launches into tailspin on CH. And just so you can't block too much, a slide character also has to have a safe orbital heel. I tried to practice stepping left and EWGF launching his df1 but the hitbox on that thing stays active for longer than other characters, it's difficult to do consistently in practice mode, in a real match you have a shitload of other moves to worry about, way more so than with the legacy characters at close range. You rely too much on generic d4's to keep Shaheen in check and he can just orbital heel you. The threshold to commit to that move is way lower than to commit to a hop kick when pressuring.... Oh and Katarina's standing 4 is i11 and tracks to her right, like seriously dafuq? Not a biggie when the direction to step her is generally to her left or your right but she has a safe i14 mid string to track that way where as her df1 tracks to her right and the jailing high extension tracks in all directions... as in, you have to walk right into duck to blow her up, but then again she can not just finish the string and keep pushing buttons.

Why did they have to give the new characters (soap bar in my mouth) tracking when they already made it so that sidestep-block doesn't evade and you must wait for the step to finish and essentially commit to it? With the OP tracking you might as well just commit to a walk and if you don't get a string to punish then at least go for a throw attempt on a single hit poke. Even that is risky. Online you try to go for a throw on a whiffed df1, you will surely get hop kicked once that crappy wifi connection on their end starts to fluctuate.

Chances are I won't play Mishimas against those 2. Bryan can step into iWS3 to both punish and CH strings in between hits while going under highs during the qcf... Or I dunno, maybe I am just getting salty over nothing and it's just the "this shit is new and I have to adjust" salt :D
I made almost the same post like a year ago about Shaheen lol. We came full circle. Character has all the things you have to actual practice and master with other characters, and utilizes them all with the push of a button or two.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
They could have done something innovative with Shaheen, like give him a stance that utilizes his sword or something, give him a fast high unblockable that is negative on hit and does poor damage. Or give him a sabaki type attack or some CH tool that on CH transitions into a stab and you get to choose which way you want to be left facing your opponent or do you just want to wall splat, kinda like Mitsurugi's B+K in Soul Calibur.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Butterfly loops. Nina's butterfly combos are extremely damaging and have ridiculously stupid wall-carry, they are a necessity if you want to play the character to her potential, however they are some of the most difficult in the game to pull off. Try them in practice but make to stop trying right before you scratch your eyes out or break your controller from frustration.
Can you give me an example of how to do the butterfly combo? I bet it's too easy ;)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
the whole "Jaycee" crap
Yo watch your mouth son.

I finally get me a luchadora in a fighting game and they take her away

You people talk too haphazardly about other people's favorites, i've always noticed Tekken players being really bad about that compared to other fighting games.

I hope this set makes into her customizations when Julia inevitably comes as DLC.

Maybe it'll be a Lee/Violet deal, or even better a Jin/Devil Jin type of thing. Hell I'd setting them doing it like King's rainmaker set and just have the set change her Rage Art.

Yea like Eddy said I'm literally infinite hours in and I don't think I've fought a single Gigas player yet. Don't really see him played overseas either so I wouldn't know what his weaknesses are. All I've heard consistently is that he's slow and unsafe on a lot of stuff, but no specifics.
I think ive played against 3 or 4 Gigas players on PC since launch. They arent very common lol.

Yo watch your mouth son.

You people talk too haphazardly about other people's favorites, i've always noticed Tekken players being really bad about that compared to other fighting games.

I hope this set makes into her customizations when Julia inevitably comes as DLC.

Maybe it'll be a Lee/Violet deal, or even better a Jin/Devil Jin type of thing. Hell I'd setting them doing it like King's rainmaker set and just have the set change her Rage Art.
God i would love to see us get more Alt sets like the king/rainmaker stuff.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yo watch your mouth son.

*Old school Tekken players. It's because the game is legacy for so many years, decades. For someone like me, who played her hardcore since around the 04-05 time, I want my Julia. The one I grew to love.The elbow dash combo Julia. Not Rey Mysterio Julia. You don't see people talking bad about people's characters if it's Nina, or Paul, or Bryan. It tends to be towards newer characters often.

Kuma and Roger that get a pass because they are OG's too, but the later release sillier route Namco took gets heavy criticism from a lot of the older crowd. Mainly because we went from-

Tekken 3 new characters being people like Jin, Eddy, Hwoarang, Xiaoyu. True martial arts representations.
Tekken 4 newcomers being people like Marduk Steve and such. 5 brought Feng and Asuka.

But by Tekken 5 DR to current you had newcomers like Lars, Claudio, Alisa, Lili, Julia transformed to Jaycee, Bob, Lucky Chloe, etc.

Some people think the later direction brought more fun and juice to the series, but for others it feels like more stupidity was added.

Though if she was brought back through DLC, I would hope that a costume set would maybe change some of the move properties so both sides of the fence could get what they want.

*Old school Tekken players. It's because the game is legacy for so many years, decades. For someone like me, who played her hardcore since around the 04-05 time, I want my Julia. The one I grew to love.The elbow dash combo Julia. Not Rey Mysterio Julia. You don't see people talking bad about people's characters if it's Nina, or Paul, or Bryan. It tends to be towards newer characters often.

Kuma and Roger that get a pass because they are OG's too, but the later release sillier route Namco took gets heavy criticism from a lot of the older crowd. Mainly because we went from-

Tekken 3 new characters being people like Jin, Eddy, Hwoarang, Xiaoyu. True martial arts representations.
Tekken 4 newcomers being people like Marduk Steve and such. 5 brought Feng and Asuka.

But by Tekken 5 DR to current you had newcomers like Lars, Claudio, Alisa, Lili, Julia transformed to Jaycee, Bob, Lucky Chloe, etc.

Some people think the later direction brought more fun and juice to the series, but for others it feels like more stupidity was added.

Though if she was brought back through DLC, I would hope that a costume set would maybe change some of the move properties so both sides of the fence could get what they want.
I'm new to tekken but it still crazy to me that there's no lei in this game, he was one the characters I was hoping to play in T7 but he's gone. RIP in peace Jackie chan :(

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.

Gonna nitpick and say you can't hate on Bob unless you're just salty about him running T6 (probably had enough top tier blonde in T5). That dude is a fine representation of martial arts, especially if we're giving bears a pass. Kuma is the OG though and I really hope Panda let's him hit at least once.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'm new to tekken but it still crazy to me that there's no lei in this game, he was one the characters I was hoping to play in T7 but he's gone. RIP in peace Jackie chan :(
No Lei, gotta make space for that Lucky Chloe and Claudio. #Salty

Gonna nitpick and say you can't hate on Bob unless you're just salty about him running T6 (probably had enough top tier blonde in T5). That dude is a fine representation of martial arts, especially if we're giving bears a pass. Kuma is the OG though and I really hope Panda let's him hit at least once.
Kuma been around since T1, the OG pass. Bob is a huge fat dude doing things that are impossible for him. And there are two characters I will never forgive because I had to play through it in my Tekken prime years. Jin in Tekken 4, and Bob in Tekken 6 lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
No Lei, gotta make space for that Lucky Chloe and Claudio. #Salty

Kuma been around since T1, the OG pass. Bob is a huge fat dude doing things that are impossible for him. And there are two characters I will never forgive because I had to play through it in my Tekken prime years. Jin in Tekken 4, and Bob in Tekken 6 lol.
Ok you're definitely gonna stop hating on LC. There's a still a capo so there's no longer a reason to hate. And I won't allow you to discredit my guy Bob like that. How you going to sit there and play Josie like she even looks like she kickboxing anyone in Tekken down. She crying cause her wrists probably broken from punching those guys. Plus I see him as a homage to Sammo Hung. Probably the most famous fat kung fu movie star.

You got to let go of that T6 salt. Bob v Bob GF is hype

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Ok you're definitely gonna stop hating on LC. There's a still a capo so there's no longer a reason to hate. And I won't allow you to discredit my guy Bob like that. How you going to sit there and play Josie like she even looks like she kickboxing anyone in Tekken down. She crying cause her wrists probably broken from punching those guys. Plus I see him as a homage to Sammo Hung. Probably the most famous fat kung fu movie star.

You got to let go of that T6 salt. Bob v Bob GF is hype
I'll never let it go. Nothing worse than playing someone in tournament you KNOW you're better than, who you've beaten for years, only for him to switch to Bob and make Top 8. That's the definition of S Tier characters. Not this Inj2 talk lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I'll never let it go. Nothing worse than playing someone in tournament you KNOW you're better than, who you've beaten for years, only for him to switch to Bob and make Top 8. That's the definition of S Tier characters. Not this Inj2 talk lol.
  1. Injustice has that too. It's just that there are 5 characters who are S tier from the start so you can main a Bob and not have to switch.
  2. I'll refer you to my reasons why Shaheen is ok post.