What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No such thing exists or ever will. Jabs are the fastest attacks at 10 frames. Only moves with a hitbox to break this rule are Xiaoyu's b1 at 8 frames and Yoshi's 1+4 at 6 frames.
Oh brah he does, at least it did in 7.0
if you did u~uf1+2 he had a 5f throw
Harada likes to throw that move around from tekken to tekken, i guess he had in DR and tekken 6 BR as well

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
That video reminds me... what does Bryan actually get for connecting b4 into jet uppercut at the wall? With the high wall splat you'd think something devastating would be possible, like b2,1,2 into d3+4,2.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
What's up Tekken fans? I've got a couple of questions for you.

I'm wondering if any of the diehard players present here don't have access to Tekken 7FR via a local arcade. Does anyone have a lot of catching up to do, once the game releases in June?

Also, how does the movement in T7 compare to TTT2? Would a newcomer be able to practice movement (i.e. "Korean back dashing") to get a better idea of how T7 will play? I know the tag crash system and all that stuff will be gone, but is sidestepping and dashing fundamentally different in any way?

Lastly, any comments on Final Round XX? I did get a chance to check out some of top 8. Good matches!

AE

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
So i plan on dropping SFV for Injustice 2 and T7 when they drop.

I havent played Tekken in ages, But in Tag 2 i played Asuka/Lili/Jun

How similar are Asuka and Lili in T7 from Tag 2?
Also is there anything i could practice in Tag 2 that would help me get my foot in the door with T7?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

I'm wondering if any of the diehard players present here don't have access to Tekken 7FR via a local arcade. Does anyone have a lot of catching up to do, once the game releases in June?

Also, how does the movement in T7 compare to TTT2? Would a newcomer be able to practice movement (i.e. "Korean back dashing") to get a better idea of how T7 will play? I know the tag crash system and all that stuff will be gone, but is sidestepping and dashing fundamentally different in any way?

Lastly, any comments on Final Round XX? I did get a chance to check out some of top 8. Good matches!

AE
U.S used to have areas with access not sure if they still have, i for once never tried T7 yet.

Movement in T7 is a lot different from TTT2, i mean, since the Akuma's 2nd patch, somehow Harada felt universal walkspeeds, backdash and sidesteps distances were needed so this ended up being an universal thing since then, obviously this drastically changed the game for the better. I think movement for characters that used to struggle now is huge.

Didn't watch final round, but i know Speedkicks and JDCR were on the finals, kinda annoying to see dragunov and Heihachi on every finals.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So i plan on dropping SFV for Injustice 2 and T7 when they drop.

I havent played Tekken in ages, But in Tag 2 i played Asuka/Lili/Jun

How similar are Asuka and Lili in T7 from Tag 2?
Also is there anything i could practice in Tag 2 that would help me get my foot in the door with T7?
Try learning korean backdashes, they can come a handy in T7, also if you don't know frame data, knowing what to punish can be a good idea.

Can't really talk on the character changes, i hate those two, specially Lili and i'm not really familiar with all their changes aside from a few moves.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick

AE
Core basics are the same but there are some differences. If you start playing TTT2 now in preparation for T7 pretty much all of what you learn will carry over into T7.

Vanilla version of T7 introduced a nerf to sidestep-blocking. Essentially what this option select allowed players to do previously was to evade quick pokes by sidestepping, but also block slower homing or other tracking moves when done properly. In vanilla T7, the sidestep-block simply does not evade the faster pokes, they'll get blocked instead of whiffing. If you watch any vanilla footage of Paul for example his deathfist (linear mid) is abused quite liberally because it's a lot harder to sidestep-duck to avoid and punish both deathfist and qcb4 (homing high) at the same time. In the FR update movement has seemingly been buffed again and looks more like TTT2, as for details on how, I can't say.

The faster backwalk speed introduced in Tekken Revolution makes backdash-block slightly stronger, which will surely effect situational setups.

For example in TTT2 a setup I use with Heihachi for his full crouch sweep is to do 1,b2 on block then duck with df and do the sweep as fast as possible. This is a "ballz deep" kinda risky play but it counters 2 fairly common things done against Heihachi which is to move after blocking his faster recovering mids or retaliate with a generic d4, if they try to move anywhere they'll get hit because of the tracking of the FC sweep, if they do the low poke they get low parried because I am holding down+forward. 1,b2 on block leaves Heihachi so close to the opponent that if the opponent wants to backdash-block and evade the sweep they have to execute the movement flawlessly. If the opponent simply starts backdash cancelling without extending the first backdash into a short block they do not create enough space for the sweep to whiff and they get hit. Because of the increased speed of the backwalk I suspect this setup no longer works as it will be a lot easier to backdash-block and create the space necessary to make the sweep whiff.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
For example in TTT2 a setup I use with Heihachi for his full crouch sweep is to do 1,b2 on block then duck with df and do the sweep as fast as possible. This is a "ballz deep" kinda risky play but it counters 2 fairly common things done against Heihachi which is to move after blocking his faster recovering mids or retaliate with a generic d4, if they try to move anywhere they'll get hit because of the tracking of the FC sweep, if they do the low poke they get low parried because I am holding down+forward..
I guess this is my introduction to advanced Tekken speak. It looks like a fairly solid OS, but you say it's risky, so I'll take your word for it. The only thing that struck me as odd, is you said you can low parry by just holding down forward. I haven't played a Tekken game in ages and never on a competitive level, but I always assumed that was an actual command, like any other move. I thought you had to commit to it. Or is that Heihachi specific?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Hey so everyone here put Leo in their top 3, however at the recent FR20 s/he wasn't even used in top 8? Maybe even 16? Why is such a "great" character not used at high level? @Eddy Wang @Smoke_Of_Finland @SaltShaker
The Koreans usually stick to male characters and in general people like to stick to their guns. In Vanilla we saw lots of Shaheen because he was OP and he has a lot of good basic moves, so picking him up won't feel awkward at all, however he received his justified nerfs, the band wagon broke down and people went back to their old mains.

In other games, the gameplan of a character is pretty much layed out for you. You will know how to use a character right away once you learn the combos and some basic flowcharts. Only match-up specific things take serious time to learn. In Tekken you will learn a character step-by-step. Even after years of playing you may accidentally discover new dirt or a niche use for a move you thought was pretty much useless.

It is always best to pick a character you resonate with and "feel". You will not succeed with picking top tier if the character feels awkward to you. Tekken is always a 2 player game and there are an infinite amount of scenarios and situations you will have to face. Facing these with your mains is always the best option. In NRS games the top tiers turn the game into a 1-player game where the other player is just forced to guess between BS that's extremely easy to execute.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I guess this is my introduction to advanced Tekken speak. It looks like a fairly solid OS, but you say it's risky, so I'll take your word for it. The only thing that struck me as odd, is you said you can low parry by just holding down forward. I haven't played a Tekken game in ages and never on a competitive level, but I always assumed that was an actual command, like any other move. I thought you had to commit to it. Or is that Heihachi specific?
I am committing to the low parry by holding down+forward, if I see the low parry animation I do the low parry combo instead of committing to the sweep.

Edit: You can parry lows instead of blocking them by inputting down+forward and ducking briefly. This is mainly used against weaker lows or safe lows, strings and fuzzying 50/50's.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The Koreans usually stick to male characters and in general people like to stick to their guns. In Vanilla we saw lots of Shaheen because he was OP and he has a lot of good basic moves, so picking him up won't feel awkward at all, however he received his justified nerfs, the band wagon broke down and people went back to their old mains.

In other games, the gameplan of a character is pretty much layed out for you. You will know how to use a character right away once you learn the combos and some basic flowcharts. Only match-up specific things take serious time to learn. In Tekken you will learn a character step-by-step. Even after years of playing you may accidentally discover new dirt or a niche use for a move you thought was pretty much useless.

It is always best to pick a character you resonate with and "feel". You will not succeed with picking top tier if the character feels awkward to you. Tekken is always a 2 player game and there are an infinite amount of scenarios and situations you will have to face. Facing these with your mains is always the best option. In NRS games the top tiers turn the game into a 1-player game where the other player is just forced to guess between BS that's extremely easy to execute.
This, this.. this, and this.

I've seen a lot of ppl bitching over on streams and youtube channels saying "where are all the Leos, Steves ppl are complaining about on the tier list?"

Tekken may still have tier list but character bonding and game knowledge to its fullest is what is most important due the amount of variables the game has.
One does not simply picks up Leo or Steve and win just because they're top tier, tekken its not about rock paper scissors or A B C option

And its hard to come into a situation where characters will turn the game into one option super easy to execute and dominate the entire cast, the only time i recall tekken having such problem was in Tekken 4 when Jin moved from mishima to Karate, and he had that just frame unblockable move that was only possible to avoid by getting hit airbourne by some characters.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Putting it in simple terms, In Tekken you learn a character and all their quirks, framedata, setups, combos and matchup specific stuff plus more which takes a lot of time and effort as there's so many moves and scenarios in the game that you can't learn by watching videos.
This results in players having a strong bond with their characters as they learned all their ins and outs and gives you full control in the match. Compared to other games players tend to stick with one character in Tekken through their whole career, and sometimes two.
Even if you learned basic stuff with a character like Leo coz she's "top tier" there's still so much you'll have to learn as matchup stuff, combos that only work off axis, punishes that you thought would work but turns out that they don't and the list goes on.

Personally I disagree with how a lot of pros say that once you learn Tekken you can hop on any character and do well. While it is true that if you have the "game" down and know how to move and all that good shit you can still play decently as it's still the same game so it's easier to learn a second character compared to the first time but there's so much that you need to learn and drill into your muscle memory such as quick punishes, options you have in certain situations and the whole bag of tricks you had with your main that generally doesn't work with another character. Hell, after 3 years of playing TTT2 and I still sometimes go for my Anna's punishes instead of Zafina's in tight situations, it's a game where you have to be so focused so it really blows my mind when I see players that can do well with multiple characters.

TL;DR players are too invested in their original mains to just switch to the current top tiers for an "easier" win. The fact that the balance is super good in the game is also a factor as your character choice isn't as big of a factor as a game like SF or MK.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Thanks heaps for all the information guys. One question though about character mains.
T7 will be the first Tekken I'm actually going to take seriously and learn thoroughly.
I've only ever played Tekken just as a casual game when a couple of mates would be over, etc. And I would just try and learn 10-hit combos with characters in spare time. As I've voiced in here a couple of times, my fav character is Yoshimitsu, and I'm of the understanding he has a high learning curve.

Now question is: if I'm learning the Tekken fundamentals from scratch in Tekken 7, should I stick with such a niche character like Yoshi? Or go to somebody a bit more basic, to get a better and possibly easier understanding of the meta?
In theory will learning Yoshi and all his weird quirks, at the same time as the fundamentals of competitive Tekken gameplay, be detrimental to my learning curve?

Any advice is appreciated guys, please help a noob out lol. @Eddy Wang @Smoke_Of_Finland @SaltShaker @TrulyAmiracle

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I main jin since T4, still learning the damn character, still watching my old matches, and maybe finally i'm starting to see what i did mostly wrong, can't wait for T7.

Also been playing Kazuya since TTT2 and having a lot of fun with him.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Thanks heaps for all the information guys. One question though about character mains.
T7 will be the first Tekken I'm actually going to take seriously and learn thoroughly.
I've only ever played Tekken just as a casual game when a couple of mates would be over, etc. And I would just try and learn 10-hit combos with characters in spare time. As I've voiced in here a couple of times, my fav character is Yoshimitsu, and I'm of the understanding he has a high learning curve.

Now question is: if I'm learning the Tekken fundamentals from scratch in Tekken 7, should I stick with such a niche character like Yoshi? Or go to somebody a bit more basic, to get a better and possibly easier understanding of the meta?
In theory will learning Yoshi and all his weird quirks, at the same time as the fundamentals of competitive Tekken gameplay, be detrimental to my learning curve?

Any advice is appreciated guys, please help a noob out lol. @Eddy Wang @Smoke_Of_Finland @SaltShaker @TrulyAmiracle
If you really want to play yoshi, pick yoshi, there is nothing wrong with that, getting familiarized with character tools and ways to apply them in match its the best thing to do.

TTT2 was my very first serious tekken since i didn't get to play T6 often and didn't really played T5 that much or DR.

I came along with my t4 jin knowledge and in TTT2 i picked Kazuya, Later on, but before him i picked Kuni and had a blast, she was my favorite TTT2 character right after jin and build a strong bond with the team itself, even getting bodied by someone who has more tekken knowledge than myself.

Since i play mostly mishimas these days, their learning curve is kinda similar, so i waved around Heihachi, and Devil Jin as well, which is something i will continue to learn in FR

my friends aren't much of a mishima except for Smith who mostly plays Heihachi and Jin as well, but Ivo has more time with the game and he basically knows most of the moves, moves we aren't that aware and don't know how unsafe it is, pretty sure when T7 drops i will have a lot to learn, but once i get down into more knowledge either he will have to main characters or keep losing.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
@Eddy Wang thanks for response man! Those were some cool games, the King/Marduk team was solid is Kuni is so awesome.
Do you think she will be in 7? She has a couple of copied moves from Yoshi but I'm sure that's easily fixed

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Got to play T7FR again at Final Round this weekend and 7.0 at Round 1 in the downtime. So much to learn in this game. I was so into it that when I remembered I couldn't go home and lab it sucked.

That said I played JDCR on stream. The skill itself, the physical execution and concepts of people like him aren't too far ahead of us. However the knowledge and experience contains a gap. When we get the game given we put in real work I venture it wouldn't take but a few months to close the gap between us and them.

Jin "plays" kind of the same but with all the system differences and alterations he's almost a different type of character. Gotta get used to his new spacing sand tactics.

Lili is lili. Very gimmicky but has some added useful moves like qcf+2,1 which gives a free ff+4 or low of choice when it CHs. Mid mid and I think it's safe. She can pressure a tiny bit better now with b+1 cancels. Movement is good as usual.

Devil Jin is outright good. Ironically I did the best with him even against character I knew nothing about like Chloe. All around solid and has an answer for everything. His rage drive is very good/useful too.