What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang thanks for response man! Those were some cool games, the King/Marduk team was solid is Kuni is so awesome.
Do you think she will be in 7? She has a couple of copied moves from Yoshi but I'm sure that's easily fixed
She has a few but she is her own character since TTT2

Kuni has a few jutsu stances like
Setsunagake which is her command dash, can be canceled at any point, has a safe mid, which crumples on CH
1,2 move that are high and safe, she has a command tag-able throw which i used with jin a lot for the extra down attack.
her df4 has really long range, she has a sidestep low
very good wall carry combo
her doton (earth style) makes her disappear on the ground and avoid even mids, she has a launching move out of it that its safe a dive kick mid which master raven now has
Katon (fire style) makes her breath fire which is unblockable

she has a fast unblockable but hits high
she can walkcrouching
has a backturn stance

she also has a lot of ground pickup moves that can destroy ppl who don't know how to get up

her knee goes into SET stance for offense,
her df1 is -1 on block, df13 is safe on block, but its not guaranteed even on CH, but its a stagger string, so if someone tries to retaliate affter df1, the second hit will launch for a full combo.

the bad part about Kuni are two thinks, terrible lows, bad range on them, and her kawarimi parry is pretty terrible since you can get away of it after i use it to punish your mistake.

I don't really know if Kuni will be in T7FR but i'm rooting for her, Harada has been redesigning this character with every tekken Interation, she was good in TTT2, a A- in knee's Yuu's and Nobi's tier list if not mistaken and in revolution a game with no bound she was even better.

Most of the combo loops you see in this vid are only possible in Tekken Revolution.

Highly rooting for this character to be in again and maybe with slight improvements, if she is in, and she can do what she does in revolution i'm down.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Got to play T7FR again at Final Round this weekend and 7.0 at Round 1 in the downtime. So much to learn in this game. I was so into it that when I remembered I couldn't go home and lab it sucked.

That said I played JDCR on stream. The skill itself, the physical execution and concepts of people like him aren't too far ahead of us. However the knowledge and experience contains a gap. When we get the game given we put in real work I venture it wouldn't take but a few months to close the gap between us and them.

Jin "plays" kind of the same but with all the system differences and alterations he's almost a different type of character. Gotta get used to his new spacing sand tactics.

Lili is lili. Very gimmicky but has some added useful moves like qcf+2,1 which gives a free ff+4 or low of choice when it CHs. Mid mid and I think it's safe. She can pressure a tiny bit better now with b+1 cancels. Movement is good as usual.

Devil Jin is outright good. Ironically I did the best with him even against character I knew nothing about like Chloe. All around solid and has an answer for everything. His rage drive is very good/useful too.
Holy shit, a fellow Jin main i was hopping to trade words with, anything you need let me know, but i guess you kinda figured right out from the start how different he is now.

gotta learn to space a lot more now since EWHF is a thing, also now will be worthwhile to know in which moments you want to check opponents with f4 without zen since his conversion opportunities are 100 times better than in TTT2.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Also, if Kuni makes into Tekken 7FR, this will probably be how she will mostly play

her F23 will probably be a S!, her dot~24 will maintain the bound just like Tekken Revolution or bryan's in T7, her BT 1+2 will probably S!
B2 will definitely be a S!
s3 will definitely be a S!
She will probably get a new option out of Set~1,2 maybe 123 for a S!
don't see f3+4 becoming a S! since its her main carry along with set moves, so she will definitely get more screw moves

all and all, if Kuni makes into Tekken 7 final version i will be extremely happy.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Hey so everyone here put Leo in their top 3, however at the recent FR20 s/he wasn't even used in top 8? Maybe even 16? Why is such a "great" character not used at high level? @Eddy Wang @Smoke_Of_Finland @SaltShaker
In Tekken people tend to stick to their main's because it's a different type of game. It isn't like MK for example where you can just practice the top tier for a bit as a high level player and then bust them out in tourney. With the legacy curve if you've been playing "Character X" for a decade you're almost always gonna be infinitely better with them than picking up a top tier for a few months. Unless you want to legitimately switch main's which most people don't want to do after building their character(s) for so long.

This allows a character like Leo to go underused, or a character like Asuka being used just as much as her even though she's inferior in every way. I think there's a feeling that there will be console nerfs to some characters, including Leo, so people don't want to jump ship to a character so to be nerfed and do a Shaheen all over again.

Now question is: if I'm learning the Tekken fundamentals from scratch in Tekken 7, should I stick with such a niche character like Yoshi? Or go to somebody a bit more basic, to get a better and possibly easier understanding of the meta?
In theory will learning Yoshi and all his weird quirks, at the same time as the fundamentals of competitive Tekken gameplay, be detrimental to my learning curve?

Any advice is appreciated guys, please help a noob out lol. @Eddy Wang @Smoke_Of_Finland @SaltShaker @TrulyAmiracle
Nah if you really are interested in Yoshimitsu then go all in with him. Tekken is a game that if you enjoy you'll play for a long time, so it'll all catch up with time anyway. It's better to play characters you connect with and can ride in Tekken. Yoshi is on the more difficult side, but I think it is more due to character knowledge than execution, so play him and learn him out.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Thanks heaps for all the information guys. One question though about character mains.
T7 will be the first Tekken I'm actually going to take seriously and learn thoroughly.
I've only ever played Tekken just as a casual game when a couple of mates would be over, etc. And I would just try and learn 10-hit combos with characters in spare time. As I've voiced in here a couple of times, my fav character is Yoshimitsu, and I'm of the understanding he has a high learning curve.

Now question is: if I'm learning the Tekken fundamentals from scratch in Tekken 7, should I stick with such a niche character like Yoshi? Or go to somebody a bit more basic, to get a better and possibly easier understanding of the meta?
In theory will learning Yoshi and all his weird quirks, at the same time as the fundamentals of competitive Tekken gameplay, be detrimental to my learning curve?

Any advice is appreciated guys, please help a noob out lol. @Eddy Wang @Smoke_Of_Finland @SaltShaker @TrulyAmiracle
By all means go for it, just keep in mind that Yoshi has a lot of moves so my advice on this would be just focusing on one step at a time with the character:
Focus on a few moves first as opposed to trying to remember his whole moveset from the start. He has hella stances and poses and sorts of shenanigans, ignore those for now. Focus on the base character.
Learn his pokes
what strings/moves he has that are plus
what hits mid, low or high
what strings combo on natural hit and which ones work on counter hit
his 10f to 15f punishers (This is the range of moves that you need to know to punish with as soon as you block an unsafe move)
Which moves are homing (as in track sidesteps, these have a "whoosh" effort on them)
what his launchers are
Some basic combos and juggles
And so on.

I'd give you more info but idk shit about Yoshi, last time I played him was in T5 and he's very different now lol.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
By all means go for it, just keep in mind that Yoshi has a lot of moves so my advice on this would be just focusing on one step at a time with the character:
Focus on a few moves first as opposed to trying to remember his whole moveset from the start. He has hella stances and poses and sorts of shenanigans, ignore those for now. Focus on the base character.
Learn his pokes
what strings/moves he has that are plus
what hits mid, low or high
what strings combo on natural hit and which ones work on counter hit
his 10f to 15f punishers (This is the range of moves that you need to know to punish with as soon as you block an unsafe move)
Which moves are homing (as in track sidesteps, these have a "whoosh" effort on them)
what his launchers are
Some basic combos and juggles
And so on.

I'd give you more info but idk shit about Yoshi, last time I played him was in T5 and he's very different now lol.
You gave me more than enough info thank you!

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Holy shit, a fellow Jin main i was hopping to trade words with, anything you need let me know, but i guess you kinda figured right out from the start how different he is now.

gotta learn to space a lot more now since EWHF is a thing, also now will be worthwhile to know in which moments you want to check opponents with f4 without zen since his conversion opportunities are 100 times better than in TTT2.
Yeah he can pull hella more damage while wall carrying now. He's solid but I see him as a bit more passive/aggressive this time around as opposed to one of the other. Even when you gain advantage you try not to overextend and back off enough to bait more mistakes especially with f+4

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah he can pull hella more damage while wall carrying now. He's solid but I see him as a bit more passive/aggressive this time around as opposed to one of the other. Even when you gain advantage you try not to overextend and back off enough to bait more mistakes especially with f+4
Yeah, the "spacing to bait" is like a requirement now, before we had to go all hands on deck and even try to guess when ppl were going to charge and "hopefully" get an EWHF on ch which was super risky.

Now we're rewarded more if they actually whiff with EWHF or we can just throw a f4 out there like if it was an EWHF from TTT2 and still get the same conversion without overcommitting.

If you never played other mishima before him, i just want to tell you, "welcome to the true mishima's ways", we're even allowed to sidestep into safe launch now.

F4~zen is now +2 on block from -2 on block, so 13f mids will no longer interrupt as easy and its now a true frame trap to most things since 1+2 ouf of zen will now come in 11f instead of 15.

Speedkicks said he was getting punished by 10f jabs for doing Hao cancels, but i think he was being too slow, since f4~zen cancel is -1, yet zen~1+2 is safe on block and you can always end your f4~zen with 1+2 to avoid being punished, and if they try to 10f jab they'll get launched.

Though they can still duck it, you can also choose not going into zen at all and be at -5 while they're waiting for the zen to come, which makes you plus enough to backdash and ewhf a whiff if you fish it.

bf23 is -12 on block
bf23~zen ducks highs but its -13 so 13f mids are still going to blow it, although raw bf23 will make it safe
if the second hit of bf23 hits while they're crouching 1+2 out of zen becomes a guaranteed launch and it does hella damage over 70% with a walln if you hit the full string.

db2 push back on CH was removed, now they fly on the same spot for easy conversion

ub/u/uf3 on CH still crumples but its no longer +14 and according to cherryberrymango its under 12f, this was done to prevent jin to have a PEWHF since kazuya has that spot, however the same damage Kazuya gets from df2 on CH into PEWGF we get with a guaranteed zen 1+2 on hit

ws4 is now your pick up move out of crumples, including uf3 on CH since it crushes lows.

i'm trying not to over extend this, but i've been keeping tabs on the main for a while, so every possible BnB you need for every specific situation and why u should learn them, i have it, if you need.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Yeah, the "spacing to bait" is like a requirement now, before we had to go all hands on deck and even try to guess when ppl were going to charge and "hopefully" get an EWHF on ch which was super risky.

Now we're rewarded more if they actually whiff with EWHF or we can just throw a f4 out there like if it was an EWHF from TTT2 and still get the same conversion without overcommitting.

If you never played other mishima before him, i just want to tell you, "welcome to the true mishima's ways", we're even allowed to sidestep into safe launch now.

F4~zen is now +2 on block from -2 on block, so 13f mids will no longer interrupt as easy and its now a true frame trap to most things since 1+2 ouf of zen will now come in 11f instead of 15.

Speedkicks said he was getting punished by 10f jabs for doing Hao cancels, but i think he was being too slow, since f4~zen cancel is -1, yet zen~1+2 is safe on block and you can always end your f4~zen with 1+2 to avoid being punished, and if they try to 10f jab they'll get launched.

Though they can still duck it, you can also choose not going into zen at all and be at -5 while they're waiting for the zen to come, which makes you plus enough to backdash and ewhf a whiff if you fish it.

bf23 is -12 on block
bf23~zen ducks highs but its -13 so 13f mids are still going to blow it, although raw bf23 will make it safe
if the second hit of bf23 hits while they're crouching 1+2 out of zen becomes a guaranteed launch and it does hella damage over 70% with a walln if you hit the full string.

db2 push back on CH was removed, now they fly on the same spot for easy conversion

ub/u/uf3 on CH still crumples but its no longer +14 and according to cherryberrymango its under 12f, this was done to prevent jin to have a PEWHF since kazuya has that spot, however the same damage Kazuya gets from df2 on CH into PEWGF we get with a guaranteed zen 1+2 on hit

ws4 is now your pick up move out of crumples, including uf3 on CH since it crushes lows.

i'm trying not to over extend this, but i've been keeping tabs on the main for a while, so every possible BnB you need for every specific situation and why u should learn them, i have it, if you need.
Oh I'm good. I've been playing Jin and Lili Since 5.0 and DR repsectively with DVJ as a tertiary/casual until tag2 where he was on my secondary team. I know what's up. I started the series with Kaz too when I first picked it up in 5.0. No stranger to mishima style, my home style honestly. I just have to re-master and rethink Jin himself in this game as tag2 pulled "us" out of our comfort zones as you said by making us go balls to the wall as opposed to safe/calculated. Need to re-teach myself

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
Do you guys think Feng got better or worse in the transition from TTT2 to T7?

His midscreen and wall damage could at least be compensated for with a partner in TTT2, but he seems to have gotten some interesting new tools in T7 as well (I'm seeing a lot of people using nutpunch).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Do you guys think Feng got better or worse in the transition from TTT2 to T7?

His midscreen and wall damage could at least be compensated for with a partner in TTT2, but he seems to have gotten some interesting new tools in T7 as well (I'm seeing a lot of people using nutpunch).
His neutral is super strong, his midscreen combos are allright, but his wall damage is ass, but doesn't really affect him as much, he has plenty of strengths

on the other hand, i had another dream where Akira was in Tekken 7, usually when i dream with things like these tend to happen, and just now i saw this on Facebook wall

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/tekken-7-dlc-add-two-guest-characters-games

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Akira is in DoA5 so it won't be surprising, but can he fit the system? Make him have counters mid hitstun and shit...
I like the rumors of it being KoF's Iori more than Akira. Make the game go full on projectile city with Akuma, Eliza and Iori.
Other guest is Scorpion coz why not. Bring everyone in.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Just read through some older messages.

So movement was buffed in FR? Nice. That's literally the only thing I wanted to see them do with the game. Really homogenized if that's exactly how that change works, but a good one, regardless.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yea I think if it's a VF guest character it has to be Akira, or possibly Jacky or Kage. Doubt it would be anyone else.

KOF rumors could be true, I could see Iori or Kyo as a guest. Geese or Terry too.

Bring in Marvel or DC. Wolverine or Batman or something. Go guest then go all out!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I wonder if they fixed his d3+4, the 2nd hit tends to whiff off-axis.
I wonder the same thing, what i really hope is they fix these stupid hitboxes that tend make launcher whiff on their recovery, its super dumb.

although my main is now considered the most well rounded character, jack of all trades master of none, his strength is to have no weakness and his weakness is to have no strength so lets see how this plays out.

Specially if my boy 1f knee has a chance to brawl with mishimers, if Akirer makes into this i will troll tekken guys who didn't want him so hard lol.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Speaking of hitboxes, I am so glad to be rid of using Bryan's f4,1 as a bind, that string had huge inconsistency issues, now at least it'll serve as a better punisher than before because of the increased dmg potential.. granted that the 2nd hit doesn't whiff as well lol.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Akira is in DoA5 so it won't be surprising, but can he fit the system? Make him have counters mid hitstun and shit...
Nah, he was made this way because that's how Doa's system work, he is one of the top tiers in DOA but he is THE top tier character in all VF, if you master him he is basically super strong at the highest level.

They way i see it, Akira has everything to fully fit in tekken without going for too much of transformation.

He has a Korean backdash, wavedash, he has reversals, parry moves, crumple moves, lots of throws, a 1f input knee which is considered the hardest move to execute ever but his executon combos requires to do that knee over and over in a row as eletrics from mishimas, but harder, but what makes Akira a really force to recon with, its that his weakness its actually the exact same way he can exploit you to win.

He is a character with lots of linear moves like Jin, a lot of predictable moves, and he can be stepped, so to make up for his tracking, Akira forces a lot of guard breaks in some of his moves, he hits so hard, that it shakes your guard, if you don't quickly move your stick around to shake the stagger while on block stun, you won't be able to guard his next fastest move, but to be able to shake your guard, the guard break moves need to hit you guarding, on hit they aren't much of a big deal.

He's skill ceiling its so high, his combo potential requires so much execution, but he is super fun, specially when u see ppl that have a strong knowledge of him or his 1f knee playing.

Which is why i think, if a VF character gets to be in this game, which is highly possible because one of the Devs that works on the franchise since Tekken 1, actually worked with VF, besides VF is a game that has rivaled tekken in its earlier days, Akira is basically a tekken character, aside from the guard break, he behaves exactly like a tekken char, he is pretty much as challenging as a mishima character is to play or fight against it at the highest level.

Besides i really want it to be him, so i can buy the deluxe edition, and actually troll everyone who said there are far more interesting characters than akira and never actually played him LOL.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Speaking of hitboxes, I am so glad to be rid of using Bryan's f4,1 as a bind, that string had huge consistency issues, now at least it'll serve as a better punisher than before because of the increased dmg potential.. granted that the 2nd hit doesn't whiff as well lol.
isn't this move an auto bound now?