What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Got Noctis in Steam side. PCMR here. I wanted to lab properly, so I chose the PC. Have fun.

Στάλθηκε από το C6833 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Yeah I bought him on PC at launch, but held off on PS4 for a bit, but most of my sets are coming on PS4 now.. so went ahead and got him there as well.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Did anybody check out THAIGER UPPERCUT this past weekend ?Question mark? If ya haven't, it's a FGC tournament in the Philippines i believe. Love the name btw ;)

They had a Tekken 7 tourney, and i wont spoil it on who won BUT i will say there are ALREADY Noctis players in tournaments! Haha. People are picking him up easy and going for broke.

He's fun to use....but he just feels soooo unsafe on alot of his shit. And im not even a frame data person at all, but i feel when his attacks are hella negative. I'm hoping this is NOT the last DLC character for this game. If Harada comes out with a pack of legacy characters we all grew up playing like Lei, Bruce, Anna, hell even Marduk, that be RIGHTEOUS! Until then, my hype for Noctis is not as high anymore....

I don't have a problem until I play against my friends noctis. His df1 is broken and you have to step to the hand. Standing 1 puts you on plus 1 on block followed by a i12 mid that's minus 1 but he still has a i13 mid so you can't do much even after blocking. My friend uses s1 to df1 on repeat. You can't step it consistently because df1 clips you stepping away and s1 stops side step towards his hand.

Another thing my friend uses is the knee move into the teleport. It punishes you for trying to whiff punish. While he has one of the best whiff punishing moves on the game. He has unseeable lows that lead to a lot of damage. Not to mention the character has a mid check from almost anywhere and its safe.

What he lacks is a plus on hit low that leads to while rising mix but he doesn't need it. My friend is greedy lol his lows are strong and should be launch punishable like they are. His tele should be minus 10 imo I think you deserve a s1 after blocking, just because some ppl abuse it so much

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
his crouching df1 is an excellent move and found out it cannot be low parried.
EDIT i think its his df2, the one where he uses a low swipe with his sword.

Whateva lol BRING BACK THE LEGACY CHARACTERS! Im over new DLC characters for this game, OFFICIALLY!

Storyline wise I believe this is the conclusion of the Mishima saga. So with that said, having a part 8 in the future is veeeeeeery slim to none. I can see a Tag 3 (eh) but Tekken 7 is it basically
No way they let it die though right? I'll be pissed if I use tekken 7 to learn this game and they drop it

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
No way they let it die though right? I'll be pissed if I use tekken 7 to learn this game and they drop it
Unlike NRS games, Tekken has more longevity when it comes to their titles. Tournaments most def keep this game alive and thriving. But i feel there's sooooo many things missing in this game. Content, more outfits, stages, our legacy characters, etc.

As of now, Noctis is the last DLC character of the pack so we do not know what the future of content will look for this game. Or even if we're getting more characters or not. Its so up in the air, i feel kinda "meh" about this title and I LOOOOOVE me some Tekken 7. This one, however, hasn't wowed me though with this DLC.

EntropicByDesign

Db2 is the un-parryable low.
Df2 is the launcher that sorta looks like an uppercut. Df2 is - a bazillion but has range forever and speed (i15).

Db2 also combos into itself on CH and if I'm not mistaken, has to be techrolled back or he gets another db2 or a f1+2 (the mid spear).

I've heard other people say Noctis is unsafe and I don't entirely agree. I know I'm a newb but hear me out a little bit.

He lacks a fast, safe launcher. He has uf2 which is a kind of orbital-like launcher that low crushes.. but it's quite slow. I don't have my notes with me but I'ma guess and say i18~ or worse. His wr1+2 is + ob mid but super linear and again, super slow. Db1+2 is slow as well and while frame-data wise is punishable it's pushback makes that almost impossible, but it's linear. Charge to make safe and even + , but again, slow.

,..... Damnit. Interrupted. Will type more asap.

Unlike NRS games, Tekken has more longevity when it comes to their titles. Tournaments most def keep this game alive and thriving. But i feel there's sooooo many things missing in this game. Content, more outfits, stages, our legacy characters, etc.

As of now, Noctis is the last DLC character of the pack so we do not know what the future of content will look for this game. Or even if we're getting more characters or not. Its so up in the air, i feel kinda "meh" about this title and I LOOOOOVE me some Tekken 7. This one, however, hasn't wowed me though with this DLC.
If this is the end of the mishima saga then surely they have a lot planned

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Db2 is the un-parryable low.
Df2 is the launcher that sorta looks like an uppercut. Df2 is - a bazillion but has range forever and speed (i15).

Db2 also combos into itself on CH and if I'm not mistaken, has to be techrolled back or he gets another db2 or a f1+2 (the mid spear).

I've heard other people say Noctis is unsafe and I don't entirely agree. I know I'm a newb but hear me out a little bit.

He lacks a fast, safe launcher. He has uf2 which is a kind of orbital-like launcher that low crushes.. but it's quite slow. I don't have my notes with me but I'ma guess and say i18~ or worse. His wr1+2 is + ob mid but super linear and again, super slow. Db1+2 is slow as well and while frame-data wise is punishable it's pushback makes that almost impossible, but it's linear. Charge to make safe and even + , but again, slow.

,..... Damnit. Interrupted. Will type more asap.
He seems un safe. I labbed him over the weekend and has easy has it was to pick him up I could pretty much low Parry or ssr & wiff punish him pretty good.

I still main the zoo keeper Kazumi so if she was doing so well punishing him and getting those wall splats and that good damage effortlessly then King, Goose, Feng, Xiaoyu and the Mishimas will have a field day.

Big giant swings and gimmicky tatics will only go so far once we take a look at Noctis Lucis Caelum.

I really like that name.

Noctis Lucis Caelum. Sounds so proper.

Noctis Lucis Caelum.

Sent from my Silicon Valley North Waterloo using Test Your Might mobile app

EntropicByDesign

He seems un safe. I labbed him over the weekend and has easy has it was to pick him up I could pretty much low Parry or ssr & wiff punish him pretty good.

I still main the zoo keeper Kazumi so if she was doing so well punishing him and getting those wall splats and that good damage effortlessly then King, Goose, Feng, Xiaoyu and the Mishimas will have a field day.

Big giant swings and gimmicky tatics will only go so far once we take a look at Noctis Lucis Caelum.

I really like that name.

Noctis Lucis Caelum. Sounds so proper.

Noctis Lucis Caelum.

I think its partly a spacing and toolset issue though. Conditioning will be important (it always is of course).. but I think he has everything he needs not to be terribly unsafe, if played a little more restrained. Right now we have Noctis players just swinging for the fences trying to land huge ass + launchers and silly shit. Character progression tends to follow an arc -

1.Release -
2.Gimmicks dominate. Heavy offense. emphasis on flashy/cool/overuse of 'power' moves. People talk about potential. 'Errybody plays.
3.Gimmicks start to get figured out. Defense vs character improves. Success rates drop. People talk about weaknesses/lacks. 'Errybody drops.
4.Offense starts to become 'real'. Gimmicks are moved aside in favor of learning grounded/correct play. Many assumptions derailed on all sides. Flashy stuff still usually a little too overused, but character starts to stabilize. Success usually still low. Playerbase in learning-phase. People talk about mid tier at best. Character usually ceases to be 'new'
5. Character is stable. Learning always continues, but the core is established. Good moves/strategies have been identified. Dumb shit and gimmicks have been identified. People talk a little more about where the character ACTUALLY falls.

There is a 6th step that has to do with where the character ultimately ends up, ie if the character was OP as fuck or just super popular you'll have a large number of players.. if the character was weak or weird, or just difficult in some way, they become rare, etc. Eventually a 7th step occurs where a character loyalist/champion shows up and wrecks shit with the character and everyone starts mumbling about them being a sleeper and shit.. but whatevs, that takes a while, lol.

We are in step 1, transitioning into step 2 right now. Once upon a time these steps had a huge amount of time between them, but not any more. Streams, Youtube, guides, forums, discords, all that spreads information around lightning fast and saturates the playerbase. A setup or something interesting found rips around the FGC at the speed of thought.

My point behind the gibberish is just that I think a lot of what people are doing IS unsafe and IS gimmicky, but its not necessarily "it" in terms of what the character can do. Like you mentioned SSing a lot of his stuff - and you're absolutely right - but he has some very strong options against SSing, 1+2 is over 40 damage, for instance. High starting, mid finishing. NC OH, and tracks. Unsafe, but the game is about reads.. So if you make a bad read on a SS, you eat a lot of damage. Additionally, ff1+2 is M, safe, tracks, CH launcher as well. uf4 is H, safe, tracking. Of course they all wall splat as well. His demoman has some l/r tracking as well but I dont know how extensively. Not very I dont think, but its there as an option in *some* situations.

Low parry. I dunno.. If you have a read, then LP is as dangerous for anyone as it is for Noctis? Unless I misunderstand? He has very slow lows though, if that's what you mean. I'll give you that free, he doesnt have a lot of low threat. Demoman is nice, but its slowwwwwwwww. My frame data says 19, but it feels slower to me. His db2 however isnt low parryable - unless I'm mistaken. It has followups on CH and does like 23 on NH and 27 on CH. 47~ with followup. It's got great range, and it shares a similar startup animation and sound effect with f1+2, a mid that must be techrolled back, else you get followups even on NH. Both are susceptible to SS though.

Whiff punishing I feel like is a matter of people learning spacing and enforcing it. Which kinda goes for any character when it comes to whiff punishing. Proper spacing and conditioning will make it much harder to make work - though I will give you that with his long recovery normals and such he's probably weaker than most to it.

All in all, I look at his kit and I see the same holes you do, but I also see ways to fill them in and ways to make exploiting them dangerous. 1+2 alone makes SSing randomly very costly, though ff1+2 is probably better all around for safety and all that. I think the holes in his game are being accentuated by the fact that we're seeing the transition to the second phase of a new character release, where gimmicks are falling away and anti-Noctis knowledge and such is stepping in and punishing the dumb shit. But people will persist in doing the dumb shit, because for the first week or so, it worked. Gradually though his offense will evolve into something more real, and things will level out.

Oh and he has a parry. Will it matter? Fuck if I know. Parrys seem strong to me in a ton of situations, but I never see them used at higher levels (or it seems like I dont) so.. fuck if I know, lol.

Now, Im shit. Liquid garbage. Im likely to lose to someone who throws their controller in the dryer and walks away. I'll get bodied by the Cottons Only dry cycle.. so take my opinions with a grain of salt, or an entire salt lick if need be, but that's the best I can do to explain why I feel the way I do about it. I do want to be clear, I dont KNOW what he is and isnt, and dont want to come across like Im drawing a line in the sand and saying THIS IS FACT. Merely that I see potential for more to Noctis than the silly shit we're seeing now. Eliza was thought to be pretty kinda weak for the longest time, but opinions have heavily shifted recently it seems and she's starting to see more play as people realize what she can do.

What's on paper is always a dangerous framework to build on in any FG, and Tekken is probably the absolute least tied to a characters statistical structure - and Im basing a lot of my arguments (not a great word for it.. call them, counter-opinions) on what Noctis is on paper.. because I have very little experience with him myself - and my personal experience with any character shouldnt be used to argue anything because Im such a terrible, terrible player - but really, no one has much experience with him.. so only time will tell. Hell, we may find out somehow or another, that wr1+2 is the best launcher in the game. Who knows.

IN the meantime.. I need to get some Noctis played today, so feel free to hit me up here or message me on Steam or anyone wants games on PC or PS4 (I have PS4 as well but its MUCH more reliable to contact me via the PC)..

So far Dragunov has won my little "who am I gonna main" contest. I need to see where Noctis falls though and if I want to grind the game out with him, Drag, or someone else entirely.. Drag is awesome, but I worry he isnt going to make me a better player in the same way some other character would. Josie needs to be in the running too though.. Damn shes fun.

Also, I agree. Dude has a pleasant, relaxing name. Like, I can imagine Monks chanting it to reach inner peace and shit.

Storyline wise I believe this is the conclusion of the Mishima saga. So with that said, having a part 8 in the future is veeeeeeery slim to none. I can see a Tag 3 (eh) but Tekken 7 is it basically
It's 'the conclusion of the Mishima saga' on a technicality - Jin vs Kazuya is still there, but since Jin's surname is Kazama technically it's not solely 'the Mishima saga' anymore...

Given how well Tekken 7 has sold and that cliffhanger ending in story mode, there's almost no chance of there not being a Tekken 8 at some point, just don't necessarily expect it to be in the near future!

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think its partly a spacing and toolset issue though. Conditioning will be important (it always is of course).. but I think he has everything he needs not to be terribly unsafe, if played a little more restrained. Right now we have Noctis players just swinging for the fences trying to land huge ass + launchers and silly shit. Character progression tends to follow an arc -

1.Release -
2.Gimmicks dominate. Heavy offense. emphasis on flashy/cool/overuse of 'power' moves. People talk about potential. 'Errybody plays.
3.Gimmicks start to get figured out. Defense vs character improves. Success rates drop. People talk about weaknesses/lacks. 'Errybody drops.
4.Offense starts to become 'real'. Gimmicks are moved aside in favor of learning grounded/correct play. Many assumptions derailed on all sides. Flashy stuff still usually a little too overused, but character starts to stabilize. Success usually still low. Playerbase in learning-phase. People talk about mid tier at best. Character usually ceases to be 'new'
5. Character is stable. Learning always continues, but the core is established. Good moves/strategies have been identified. Dumb shit and gimmicks have been identified. People talk a little more about where the character ACTUALLY falls.

There is a 6th step that has to do with where the character ultimately ends up, ie if the character was OP as fuck or just super popular you'll have a large number of players.. if the character was weak or weird, or just difficult in some way, they become rare, etc. Eventually a 7th step occurs where a character loyalist/champion shows up and wrecks shit with the character and everyone starts mumbling about them being a sleeper and shit.. but whatevs, that takes a while, lol.

We are in step 1, transitioning into step 2 right now. Once upon a time these steps had a huge amount of time between them, but not any more. Streams, Youtube, guides, forums, discords, all that spreads information around lightning fast and saturates the playerbase. A setup or something interesting found rips around the FGC at the speed of thought.

My point behind the gibberish is just that I think a lot of what people are doing IS unsafe and IS gimmicky, but its not necessarily "it" in terms of what the character can do. Like you mentioned SSing a lot of his stuff - and you're absolutely right - but he has some very strong options against SSing, 1+2 is over 40 damage, for instance. High starting, mid finishing. NC OH, and tracks. Unsafe, but the game is about reads.. So if you make a bad read on a SS, you eat a lot of damage. Additionally, ff1+2 is M, safe, tracks, CH launcher as well. uf4 is H, safe, tracking. Of course they all wall splat as well. His demoman has some l/r tracking as well but I dont know how extensively. Not very I dont think, but its there as an option in *some* situations.

Low parry. I dunno.. If you have a read, then LP is as dangerous for anyone as it is for Noctis? Unless I misunderstand? He has very slow lows though, if that's what you mean. I'll give you that free, he doesnt have a lot of low threat. Demoman is nice, but its slowwwwwwwww. My frame data says 19, but it feels slower to me. His db2 however isnt low parryable - unless I'm mistaken. It has followups on CH and does like 23 on NH and 27 on CH. 47~ with followup. It's got great range, and it shares a similar startup animation and sound effect with f1+2, a mid that must be techrolled back, else you get followups even on NH. Both are susceptible to SS though.

Whiff punishing I feel like is a matter of people learning spacing and enforcing it. Which kinda goes for any character when it comes to whiff punishing. Proper spacing and conditioning will make it much harder to make work - though I will give you that with his long recovery normals and such he's probably weaker than most to it.

All in all, I look at his kit and I see the same holes you do, but I also see ways to fill them in and ways to make exploiting them dangerous. 1+2 alone makes SSing randomly very costly, though ff1+2 is probably better all around for safety and all that. I think the holes in his game are being accentuated by the fact that we're seeing the transition to the second phase of a new character release, where gimmicks are falling away and anti-Noctis knowledge and such is stepping in and punishing the dumb shit. But people will persist in doing the dumb shit, because for the first week or so, it worked. Gradually though his offense will evolve into something more real, and things will level out.

Oh and he has a parry. Will it matter? Fuck if I know. Parrys seem strong to me in a ton of situations, but I never see them used at higher levels (or it seems like I dont) so.. fuck if I know, lol.

Now, Im shit. Liquid garbage. Im likely to lose to someone who throws their controller in the dryer and walks away. I'll get bodied by the Cottons Only dry cycle.. so take my opinions with a grain of salt, or an entire salt lick if need be, but that's the best I can do to explain why I feel the way I do about it. I do want to be clear, I dont KNOW what he is and isnt, and dont want to come across like Im drawing a line in the sand and saying THIS IS FACT. Merely that I see potential for more to Noctis than the silly shit we're seeing now. Eliza was thought to be pretty kinda weak for the longest time, but opinions have heavily shifted recently it seems and she's starting to see more play as people realize what she can do.

What's on paper is always a dangerous framework to build on in any FG, and Tekken is probably the absolute least tied to a characters statistical structure - and Im basing a lot of my arguments (not a great word for it.. call them, counter-opinions) on what Noctis is on paper.. because I have very little experience with him myself - and my personal experience with any character shouldnt be used to argue anything because Im such a terrible, terrible player - but really, no one has much experience with him.. so only time will tell. Hell, we may find out somehow or another, that wr1+2 is the best launcher in the game. Who knows.

IN the meantime.. I need to get some Noctis played today, so feel free to hit me up here or message me on Steam or anyone wants games on PC or PS4 (I have PS4 as well but its MUCH more reliable to contact me via the PC)..

So far Dragunov has won my little "who am I gonna main" contest. I need to see where Noctis falls though and if I want to grind the game out with him, Drag, or someone else entirely.. Drag is awesome, but I worry he isnt going to make me a better player in the same way some other character would. Josie needs to be in the running too though.. Damn shes fun.

Also, I agree. Dude has a pleasant, relaxing name. Like, I can imagine Monks chanting it to reach inner peace and shit.
His hell sweep is good. I gotta lab that for sure but it's super nice though. D,b+2 can't be parried but I think it does not track either. Ssr is what I did.

I think he does excellent in neutral though. His spacing over time could be pretty good. Mind you this is the first dlc character Bamco Namco has released that does not shoot out a fireball or projectiles besides f+2 from what I remember. Just has a longer reach is all. I think he's the most honest dlc character so far.

His Parry is high or a mid, and YES THEY MATTER! Besides Asuka the Parry princess, Dragi and Goose his seems kinda on the slow side but in my playstyles I always incorporate parries in almost every match or round because it's a game changer. You do a parry once or twice and they are always on the lookout for the next one. It's that conditioning that strikes fear but at a cost of wiffing. I use mine with Kazumi mostly because she as armor and can absorb a few hits and parry Tigger towards the wall. Then it's pressure ville again where she's the village elder. His seems ok. Nothing special like Howard's.

My friend... How you still don't have a main is a mystery to me.[emoji848]‍♂ I honestly wish I had this problem sometimes so I wouldn't get lazy with labbing characters I only like.

EntropicByDesign

His hell sweep is good. I gotta lab that for sure but it's super nice though. D,b+2 can't be parried but I think it does not track either. Ssr is what I did.

I think he does excellent in neutral though. His spacing over time could be pretty good. Mind you this is the first dlc character Bamco Namco has released that does not shoot out a fireball or projectiles besides f+2 from what I remember. Just has a longer reach is all. I think he's the most honest dlc character so far.

His Parry is high or a mid, and YES THEY MATTER! Besides Asuka the Parry princess, Dragi and Goose his seems kinda on the slow side but in my playstyles I always incorporate parries in almost every match or round because it's a game changer. You do a parry once or twice and they are always on the lookout for the next one. It's that conditioning that strikes fear but at a cost of wiffing. I use mine with Kazumi mostly because she as armor and can absorb a few hits and parry Tigger towards the wall. Then it's pressure ville again where she's the village elder. His seems ok. Nothing special like Howard's.

My friend... How you still don't have a main is a mystery to me.[emoji848]‍♂ I honestly wish I had this problem sometimes so I wouldn't get lazy with labbing characters I only like.

My main hunting is an issue in every game I play. It comes from couple different things I guess. I have a bad habit of thinking the grass is always greener elsehwere for one.. I also have a very optimistic approach to characters.. I see all this potential, and I have a wide breadth of likes when it comes to playstyles and that kinda thing.. so that leads me to really like, and get really hype, for a lot of different characters. And finally, and this is probably the single biggest issue.. I LIKE research. LEARNING a new character is one of my favorite things about FGs. I enjoy compiling notes and practicing things and learning setups and tricks and nuances.. it's just fun, and very interesting... So when I find a character and start that process, I'm hype as hell. But as.the process winds down And it's less about learning something new and interesting and more about getting into matches and trying to apply all this stuff, I tend to lose interest, and start looking for someone else to learn and research.

Interestingly, I set some basic rules up when DBFz dropped and based on those rules, I've actually not had this issue with that game. I've experimented and messed around and such, but my core group of characters has been essentially the same since launch. Again, I've experimented but that's part of Vs style games.. but my Hit has been in it since day one and the pool of characters I've looked at has been MUCH smaller than I'm normally guilty of.. and everyone that's there was picked out in the first few days and has stood the test of time. (My test anyways).

So, I'm trying to take the same general rules and apply them to Tekken to directly rule out various characters and give me a manageable few that I can then take into some sets and get a better feel for.

Some of my rules are just things I like or don't, and some are meant to save me from myself and elim characters I won't realistically be able to play well, or who will frustrate me. An example would be "no characters that rely on heavy execution" and "no characters that rely on long, complex setups and sequences" (think like.. cyrax in mkx or something). There are more obviously, but.once added together, I can run through a roster and cut out large chunks of it.

I didn't get a chance to play.today.. I need to get some sets in tonight. Really leaning towards Dragunov, but I desperately want to change my mind and find someone who usurps him, lol.

My main hunting is an issue in every game I play. It comes from couple different things I guess. I have a bad habit of thinking the grass is always greener elsehwere for one.. I also have a very optimistic approach to characters.. I see all this potential, and I have a wide breadth of likes when it comes to playstyles and that kinda thing.. so that leads me to really like, and get really hype, for a lot of different characters. And finally, and this is probably the single biggest issue.. I LIKE research. LEARNING a new character is one of my favorite things about FGs. I enjoy compiling notes and practicing things and learning setups and tricks and nuances.. it's just fun, and very interesting... So when I find a character and start that process, I'm hype as hell. But as.the process winds down And it's less about learning something new and interesting and more about getting into matches and trying to apply all this stuff, I tend to lose interest, and start looking for someone else to learn and research.

Interestingly, I set some basic rules up when DBFz dropped and based on those rules, I've actually not had this issue with that game. I've experimented and messed around and such, but my core group of characters has been essentially the same since launch. Again, I've experimented but that's part of Vs style games.. but my Hit has been in it since day one and the pool of characters I've looked at has been MUCH smaller than I'm normally guilty of.. and everyone that's there was picked out in the first few days and has stood the test of time. (My test anyways).

So, I'm trying to take the same general rules and apply them to Tekken to directly rule out various characters and give me a manageable few that I can then take into some sets and get a better feel for.

Some of my rules are just things I like or don't, and some are meant to save me from myself and elim characters I won't realistically be able to play well, or who will frustrate me. An example would be "no characters that rely on heavy execution" and "no characters that rely on long, complex setups and sequences" (think like.. cyrax in mkx or something). There are more obviously, but.once added together, I can run through a roster and cut out large chunks of it.

I didn't get a chance to play.today.. I need to get some sets in tonight. Really leaning towards Dragunov, but I desperately want to change my mind and find someone who usurps him, lol.
You might like hwo. You try him?

EntropicByDesign

You might like hwo. You try him?
Yep. I am actually super jealous of those that can play him.. his execution barrier chased me away. I'm lucky to hit something as complex as 112 without fucking things up. Hwo would be a bad idea for me, lol.

Early on, I got some of his BnBs from a couple different sources and tried him out... And, ugh. Lol.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
It's 'the conclusion of the Mishima saga' on a technicality - Jin vs Kazuya is still there, but since Jin's surname is Kazama technically it's not solely 'the Mishima saga' anymore...

Given how well Tekken 7 has sold and that cliffhanger ending in story mode, there's almost no chance of there not being a Tekken 8 at some point, just don't necessarily expect it to be in the near future!
Touche. Ive been looking up alot of stuff on this game's progress and I must say.....ALOOOOOOT of ppl are pissed off at Harada right now after this DLC.

Its already the end of the current DLC pack and we got only 2? Even though the game is awesome, lets keep it ALL THE WAY LIVE. This game is kinda bare-fucking-bones as far as content. Ive been playing Tekken since the VERY FIRST one on the arcades. So as an OG to the Tekken series, trust when i say this has been the least amount of content in ANY Tekken franchise. People have been posting videos on what they like to have change, things added to the game, and especially our truly beloved legacy characters.

Harada has not been good listening to the people thus far and been pissing fans off. Its like Street Fighter 5 all over again! Lets have a real conversation.

What do you guys think of the future of this game?

EntropicByDesign

(This is long and rambling and has absolutely no value of any sort. Its just me thinking out loud and ordering my thoughts. Anyone who's read this thread much will see me repeat myself here.. I am simply using this as a sounding board. Warning you ahead of time - if you find me obnoxious, this will push you over the edge and you should probably skip it entirely)

Just keep coming back to Dragunov. He does everything I want him to do, and feels fast and fluid. But..

What I want in a Tekken character:

Versatility. Want to be able to bang up close, or play back some and play defensively. Don't like to be forced to occupy any particular range to be be effective. Def want someone with some reach.

Safety. I don't like being forced to heavily commit when I can help it.

Good buttons in general. Strong pokes and good mids. Don't like a heavy reliance on long, string-y offense.

Low to medium execution and low to medium game plan. Don't mind to work at things, but I don't like super difficult characters in any game. I struggle badly with execution and it's just not worth it for me.

Decently mobile and smooth. I know this is a weird one.. but take, Jack for instance. He's a big ass, slow, clunky character..he meets most of my criteria, but I don't find him pleasant to play because of how he "feels"

That's mostly it.. points for having a strong throw game and at least one "power" low. Additional points for the character having moves that look something approaching either realistic, or at least cool. Take Dragunov's 312 string as an example of something that looks ridiculous. As well as Kazumi's.. 3,2? The knee into weird punch that splats you in her face. Points also for character being male and/or reasonable to look at..not a deal breaker, just a general preference. If Bob didn't look like...Bob, I'd probably main him and call it a day - though I find his combos kinda awkward honestly.

You may notice I dont mention punishment anywhere.. I am not good enough at this game to see the roll punishment plays in my own games yet. Obviously its hugely important, and a strong i10 punisher is incredibly nice to have, but since I dont know frame data and punish scenario's well across the board, I cant say how important it is to me personally. Having a strong punish game is excellent, but its not a deal breaker for me.. though good i10 is an excellent selling point.

So, characters who I feel meet my general criteria enough to be considered:

Paul
Dragunov
Steve - sort of.
Bob
Noctis? - not sure yet.
Feng
Kazumi
Shaheen
Katarina
DJin*
Leo
Miguel
Bryan

Note, there are some characters that check off my list well, but arent included here because I just dont care for them much for one reason or another. Claudio and Lars are good examples of this.

*Electrics arent easy, but I dont consider his base execution beyond me *if* I chose to learn him. Wavedashing and electrics are both reasonably within my abilities if I made the decision to push forward with him. Not saying he's easy at all, just that I *think* I could play him from an execution stand point if I decided to make the commitment.

OK.. So, Shaheen is out of the running. I just dont find him super fun. Dunno why. Just didnt click with him. I have more matches on him that anyone else actually. Didnt click with Leo (second most played character) either and I dont know why. Just didnt. Miguel same story. Feng I like a lot, but again, he felt a little off and awkward and I didnt immediately take to him. Partly I think because some of his moves look so damn stupid. Kazumi feels weird and awkward to me for some reason. Kat is kinda amazing and Ive played her about third most of anyone.. but she just looks awkward and weird in motion and I dont care for it much. More games and time with these characters may fix this, but it may not. Id like to try to find someone I mesh well with from the outset.

That leaves Paul, Drag, DJin, Bryan, Bob and Noctis.. and kinda Steve.

Dragunov I have some sets with now and really, I like almost everything about him. Why not just default to him and call it a day? Well, its stupid, but I feel like he wont make me a better player and I do kinda worry about longevity. Drag's primary gameplan is to abuse the shit out of a small handful of moves and from what Ive read, been told and seen for myself, the way Im playing him now is exactly how I'll play him in 6months. I'll just be more precise and have more MU knowledge.. That's not to say anyone can sit down and be BESTDRAGNA or something, but just that his gameplan is SO linear and straight forward there is little serious depth to it. Its so powerful though that that is fine. That's one of the big criticisms of facing the character is that every Drag plays like every other Drag. Im fine with that on the surface.. Im not going to revolutionize any character in any special way, but the idea of growing into a character and growing with that character over time is nice. The idea that I'll just be doing the exact same shit in a year that I am today, makes me think I'll burn out on Dragunov relatively quickly. However - as of now, he's my #1 choice and does everything I want a character to do.

Paul. I didnt give Paul a fair run.. I went into a set vs a much more experienced player, having no practiced or touched Paul in any real way, beyond maybe an hour of practice 6 weeks ago, and I got shit on obviously, but I didnt get to DO anything. So I made a hasty call to knock him off my list, and I shouldnt have done. I was salty and frustrated. Paul has a simple gameplan, but I feel like he has more going on that it seems on the surface. Need more matches.

Bryan is similar to Paul. Just havent given him a fair run. That said though, there are other characters I think I prefer a little more.. but thematically and aesthetically and in terms of how his moves LOOK, Bryan is one of my favs in the game.

DJin.. He's great, but comes with the added requirement of having to learn wavedashing and electrics. I need some sets on him.. because if I were to choose him, its a big commitment.

Bob. Need matches. If Bob didnt look like Bob looks, he'd probably be my #1 choice honestly. Though I find his combo routes kinda awkward and weird and he seems to have a lot of combos to keep track of, depending on the launcher. He also hits softly, which is another odd observation.. but like, some characters have these powerful sound effects and particle effects and all this with a lot of their moves, but Bob doesnt have that same impact built in. Dumb. Just an observation.

Steve. My fav character in the game pretty much. He's only here because I keep TRYING to play him, and am continually disappointed. He's super super strong, but I find him tedious. I just dont like having to flit between stances and shit to get things done. In theory hes everything I want. In practice I get super frustrated and annoyed playing him, lol.

Noctis. We dunno yet. The boy is kinda kewwwwl though. His range his what I like, and I find his combos smooth as butter and super satisfying.