What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So, where does Law sit in the execution spectrum?

And by that I mean his main, BnB setups/combos/tools, used at an intermediate level. I've heard he has some extremely difficult combos and he has some JF stuff too.. I think.. but I don't know if that is integral to his game and you HAVE to know it to really use him, or not.

I guess a good example here would be Lee. Aside from the knowledge and technical foundation required of Lee, his execution has to be very strong. He has a couple just frame moves he uses regularly and that form a strong part of his game, and his combo game is HEAVILY based around b2 loops which I have found harder than doing electrics and the KBDC to be honest.. without them though his combo damage and wall carry fall off BADLY unless someone knows combos I couldn't find or invent - like losing 8-10 damage which is just way too much to sacrifice.

No exact reason for asking, just curious. Josie is my absolute main, and I've been playing a little Bob as well, but I try to pick a different character.every few days and go into training mode and just run through whatever stuff I can find about them from a guide or similar as it helps me to understand the game and is slowly building my knowledge base up.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Yesterday, at my buddies I had fun playing a FT10 set against my buddy's King. At that time I was really drunk, and now I'm hangovering. Played Eddy against his King. The more the matches were progressing, the more we found a lot of new stuff about each's fighter. I found new 50/50 after Eddy's (3+4), which had my bud confused and surprised. Meanwhile, my bud developed himself with King, and that's even more a reason to hate King. Fortunately, I knew how to avoid King's low grapple. Unfortunately, I don't know how to avoid his series of locks.

The funniest thing was due of being drunk we were puzzled about who was winning mid-match. Did go back to character select to find this out. At that time we found out that it was 6-7.

Maybe I lost 6-10, but I learned a lot. I was so drunk, that I couldn't play well, thus making a lot of erroneous decisions in reaction times. I gotta learn how to counter King's low kick in reaction.

And all this happened, because my buddy wanted a revenge match against me. Some days ago, I mopped him twice (3-5, 1-3), and since then he called me "bastard" all the time. lol

Reason that I was drunk is that earlier I was at another house for a meal. There I drunk 3 glasses of wine. Later at my buddies' house where I played the game, I drunk 1 beer.

I was dead drunk like Bo 'Rai Cho, but it was fun and a nice challenge. lol

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
So, where does Law sit in the execution spectrum?

And by that I mean his main, BnB setups/combos/tools, used at an intermediate level. I've heard he has some extremely difficult combos and he has some JF stuff too.. I think.. but I don't know if that is integral to his game and you HAVE to know it to really use him, or not.

I guess a good example here would be Lee. Aside from the knowledge and technical foundation required of Lee, his execution has to be very strong. He has a couple just frame moves he uses regularly and that form a strong part of his game, and his combo game is HEAVILY based around b2 loops which I have found harder than doing electrics and the KBDC to be honest.. without them though his combo damage and wall carry fall off BADLY unless someone knows combos I couldn't find or invent - like losing 8-10 damage which is just way too much to sacrifice.

No exact reason for asking, just curious. Josie is my absolute main, and I've been playing a little Bob as well, but I try to pick a different character.every few days and go into training mode and just run through whatever stuff I can find about them from a guide or similar as it helps me to understand the game and is slowly building my knowledge base up.
DSS cancels require some practice. Mainly the 4,3 DSS f3 combo ender at the wall is something that is a main concern. 4,3 DSS f4 (legend kick) midscreen is a bad wall carry despite max(?) damage and 3+4,4 generally seems to be the preferred splat ender after the usual 4,u3 - b2,1 S! Filler. You can opt to finish wall combos with b2,3,d4 but you drop 8 points of damage.

DSS (Dragon sign stance) is done by pressing bf to go into fake step after/during a string, then hitting or mashing f again (bff) to cancel the fake step into DSS. You have to know the exact time a string recovers to have your DSS move come out as fast as possible.

Most commonly used DSS cancellable strings are:
b2,3,4
1,2 (I think, not sure about this one)
ws4

EntropicByDesign

DSS cancels require some practice. Mainly the 4,3 DSS f3 combo ender at the wall is something that is a main concern. 4,3 DSS f4 (legend kick) midscreen is a bad wall carry despite max(?) damage and 3+4,4 generally seems to be the preferred splat ender after the usual 4,u3 - b2,1 S! Filler. You can opt to finish wall combos with b2,3,d4 but you drop 8 points of damage.

DSS (Dragon sign stance) is done by pressing bf to go into fake step after/during a string, then hitting or mashing f again (bff) to cancel the fake step into DSS. You have to know the exact time a string recovers to have your DSS move come out as fast as possible.

Most commonly used DSS cancellable strings are:
b2,3,4
1,2 (I think, not sure about this one)
ws4

Gotcha. Fuck all that. Lol.

I appreciate difficulty but sometimes Tekken over does it and it just falls into the realm of tedious.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Got to play with my dear long time TTT2 sparring partner for the first time during T7. Some thoughts about the session:

Lee is harder to beat in this game. Running 3,4 being advantage on block despite losing the launch is honestly a buff. B4 seems to have a bigger hitbox. My buddy told me that b4 has worse recovery on whiff now, I don't believe him. Random b4-HMS (hitman stance) and 4,4 and 1,2 mist step spam well outside range is still god damn stupid and you have to be really really really on point to punish him pressing buttons. There is no way you are not getting floated or CH'd if you try to force a running 3 on block. Most of the matches was me Wavedash blocking into range 1 and backdashing, then going forward again into block to try to make him whiff and punish with EWGF, or try to vary my timing and catch a random electric. If you are too obvious with your baiting instead of committing to attack and get in his face there is always the threat of instant slide. You have to respect HMS more than in TTT2 because of the damn tailspinning armor move. Granted you can easily punish it on whiff and it's a high but it's just more bullshit you have to worry about.

I am salty but glad I got to play against a decent opponent at 5 bars, after playing only a few sessions of ranked, against CPU and some 3 bar games VS less than a handful of decent opponents. I started playing without warming up and it was a huge factor but would have still gotten mopped probably.

I try not to be a Mishima elitist prick but god damn it gets to you sometimes when you have to work really hard and be reactive most of the match and in this case, characters like Lee, Shaheen and Lars get to throw out their piss-easy moves where everything is 15 frames or faster, everything floats and can be confirmed into a juggle, everything advances forward or has fast recovery or 2nd hits of strings fkn CH launch you when you try to whiff punish the first whiffed hit with an electric, only to get blown up by the 2nd hit.

Edit: b4 doesn't knock down on normal hit, made an error there.

Last edited:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Sooooo been playing some Bob most of yesterday and made it to Brawler rank. LOVE HIM! But most def need to work on my movement, so if anybody has PSN and like some cool ass sets, find me!

PSN - JBeezYBabY1

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Gotcha. Fuck all that. Lol.

I appreciate difficulty but sometimes Tekken over does it and it just falls into the realm of tedious.
If you like Law and Lee then just pick Shaheen and see how you like him. He has essentially the same tools with the exception of not having a running 3, but he is pretty much in the realm of Jack/Kazumi levels of easy to play and execute.

EntropicByDesign

Got to play with my dear long time TTT2 sparring partner for the first time during T7. Some thoughts about the session:

Lee is harder to beat in this game. Running 3,4 being advantage on block despite losing the launch is honestly a buff. B4 seems to have a bigger hitbox. This move now knocks down on normal hit into what seems to be a guaranteed ground hit. My buddy told me that b4 has worse recovery on whiff now, I don't believe him. Random b4-HMS (hitman stance) and 4,4 and 1,2 mist step spam well outside range is still god damn stupid and you have to be really really really on point to punish him pressing buttons. There is no way you are not getting floated or CH'd if you try to force a running 3 on block. Most of the matches was me Wavedash blocking into range 1 and backdashing, then going forward again into block to try to make him whiff and punish with EWGF, or try to vary my timing and catch a random electric. If you are too obvious with your baiting instead of committing to attack and get in his face there is always the threat of instant slide. You have to respect HMS more than in TTT2 because of the damn tailspinning armor move. Granted you can easily punish it on whiff and it's a high but it's just more bullshit you have to worry about.

I am salty but glad I got to play against a decent opponent at 5 bars, after playing only a few sessions of ranked, against CPU and some 3 bar games VS less than a handful of decent opponents. I started playing without warming up and it was a huge factor but would have still gotten mopped probably.

I try not to be a Mishima elitist prick but god damn it gets to you sometimes when you have to work really hard and be reactive most of the match and in this case, characters like Lee, Shaheen and Lars get to throw out their piss-easy moves where everything is 15 frames or faster, everything floats and can be confirmed into a juggle, everything advances forward or has fast recovery or 2nd hits of strings fkn CH launch you when you try to whiff punish the first whiffed hit with an electric, only to get blown up by the 2nd hit.

I dunno, im new and all, but Lee is ABSOLUTELY not an easy character. Most high level Lee players have quit playing him in important matches because he's so difficult to play effectively.

Lee has to commit to his reads to get any work done.

Helpme's advice to aspiring Lee players was literally "don't play him".

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I know Lee is not easy to play. If it was offline I'd blow my friend to kingdom come for whiffing b4's and 4,4's. Thing is he is a beast with Lee and converts every float into b2-MS loop or b1,1-ms b2. I can't initiate offence on him by instant WR3'ing at close range. Random dash electric is most likely going to get CH'd by pre-emptive b4. I just fkn hate going in with df1's and jabs or Mishima ws4's because I am taking a huge risk for no reward and all it takes is a pre-emptive yolo b4 or 4,4 and I get launched and carried to the wall.

B4-HMS and 4,4 is still extremely braindead if there is even the slightest bit of lag. Random 1,2-mist step is also very difficult to whiff punish. Lee has plenty of good high crushing and i15 or faster moves out the ass.

i did manage to blow him up with lots of electrics but eventually ended up losing 2 vs 3 rounds in most matches because of sequences like "he whiffs a move - I try an electric - I am too late, he ducks and hop kicks" or "I force f4 on block at the wall, I backdash, I confirm he did not press buttons, I try to coming in again with instant running 3, he mashes me out of the air with 1,2-MS or 4,4 that would have whiffed had I not attacked and he confirms it into a juggle"

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick

Watch how many times Fighting GM gets to mash out b4 and 44 or any of Lee's advancing strings, whiff them and get away with it without eating an electric. I am not saying Lee is OP or anything. Dealing with Lee online as a Mishima can be very stressful because you have to know if you are within range or if you have moves fast enough to stop him from mashing, which let's face it, Lee gets to mash a shitload of buttons at neutral and you have to be on your best game to blow him up for it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lee is light years ahead in execution and technicality compared to Law.
Law can be the ultimate scrub killer but he is scrub friendly just the same, the hardest thing you might find with law if you don't really practice its landing 4,3~DSS F3/F4 in some combos and parry stuff into DSS to get some stuff going, his damage its pretty good specially with a wall, has a 2 buttons 14f launcher, a good pletora of safe CH tools, a complete throw game, a magic 4 to ease up overuse of pressure against him and really good power crushes.

His issue tho, he might be a bit harder to build a comeback factor if he doesn't have the life lead, because he doesn't have much solid launchers without CH so he has to harass ppl with pokes and stuff.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
So I just picked up Tekken 7 and I'm trying to take this game very seriously compared to the previous iterations. Are there any good King players out there? Looking to see where I stand and pick up some tips from Pros out there.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
So I just picked up Tekken 7 and I'm trying to take this game very seriously compared to the previous iterations. Are there any good King players out there? Looking to see where I stand and pick up some tips from Pros out there.
Look up Triple H and Lil Majin.

Reactions: MKB

Israel

Noob
Lee is bs.
I dont hate the char or the player but B4 will always be a problem simply because the animation ends with his foot touching the ground in front of him. So its nearly impossible to react and wiff punish unless you were already in motion to punish. Which means 80% of punishing that move is just a 'Read' more than a 'React.' Combine that with his other 1 button ch launching moves just allows him to get away with everything.

F Lee. In some cases its not fair really

EntropicByDesign

MBC is a King/Bob player who streams and uploads his stuff to YouTube.

EntropicByDesign

Lee is negative on HIT on some of his stuff. And not just lows.. really look through his frame data and dealing with him will start making a little more sense.

EntropicByDesign

So, still maining Josie and I'm happier about the decision every day, but working on Lee on the side because I think he's just an amazingly cool character.

Learning him is a weird experience. First his execution is stupid. There's no fucking reason to lock so much of a character behind such fiddly barriers. Sure, sure, I get that a lot of Tekken is hard, but with Lee it feels hard for the sake of hard. Mishimas, in some ways, feel like you are using these special techniques and tricks to stretch your tools in interesting ways.. with Lee it feels like the difficulty is purely arbitrary and added in for no great reason.

When playing as Lee you fight two distinct types of players, players who understand him and players who don't. Players who don't respect him as if he were a "normal" character and he can be suffocating to them, players who understand him know when he's legit negative on HIT and when to just let him hang himself. In those situations I have to make scary ass reads on finishing strings, or side stepping or trying to initiate offense off my negative frames.

I can also say that Lee's basic BnB is the hardest thing I've found to do yet in the game that is also an absolute core piece of a character. There are absolutely more or equally difficult things, but none of them - that I have found - are 100% "must use" items. Combos using 3+ electrics are damn hard for instance, but there are tons of other options.

Without b2 loops Lee's damage falls WAY off, his wall carry becomes weak and difficult to modulate and he just falls way off.

All that said, I think Lee's probably better than people give him credit for, he usually seems to be considered middle-of-the-road strength-wise

I'm learning to like Leo a lot more than I did originally as well. I really liked her in theory, then played some and found her clunky and weird and unintuitive, but since, and with additional practice, am starting to figure her out more and liking more and more what Im learning. It helps that she's insanely strong and has so so many damn options out of and in to, every situation.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Apparently, been seeing alot of tournament videos, alot of matches, and a alot of gameplay from pros and everybody seem to have a core base of characters to play. I'm the type of person that likes to try the unpopular character and try to excel in that. So my next choice is Kuma! MAN he has some good potential and fake out attacks to really fuck with your opponent's head, but his movement is probably the worst.

Does anybody have some insight on Kuma? I just started him like last night lol. But im slowly but surely gonna try every single character in this game so I at least know character's combo strings when i face against them.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Apparently, been seeing alot of tournament videos, alot of matches, and a alot of gameplay from pros and everybody seem to have a core base of characters to play. I'm the type of person that likes to try the unpopular character and try to excel in that. So my next choice is Kuma! MAN he has some good potential and fake out attacks to really fuck with your opponent's head, but his movement is probably the worst.

Does anybody have some insight on Kuma? I just started him like last night lol. But im slowly but surely gonna try every single character in this game so I at least know character's combo strings when i face against them.
I played Kuma/Panda a LOT back in the day, but it was purely for fun and as a joke. He simply cannot compete with the higher tier cast. Use him as a backup, but don't main him.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I played Kuma/Panda a LOT back in the day, but it was purely for fun and as a joke. He simply cannot compete with the higher tier cast. Use him as a backup, but don't main him.
I guess hes the ONLY character thats not viable in competitive play. Well....I guess my next character today will beeeeeeeee.....Lucky Choloe :)

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
She's my 2nd main along with Katarina. lol
Thats another one i need to try! See, i dont have a strong female character yet. I tried Bob, and altho hes hella good, i think ive reached my limit with him at Brawler rank because hes a demon sweeper type character, and when my palms get sweaty, i fuck those inputs up! Therefore, i cannot apply the fear and pressure i want. So ive moved on.

Lucky was my very first because....shes a dancer, and im a dancer. WE CLICK MUTHAFUCKA :) Especially since she does that Janet Jackson dance as a victory pose. BITCH BETTA WEEEEEERK!

She's so unorthodox, people get confused of her strings,so she's quick underrated. Tonight, we LUCKY CHOLE! :)