What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Against mashers don't forget her sws stuff are almost all CH launchers. On block though they can poke you out of all options but sws1 I THINK - don't quote me - but if they mash after any of her sws transition strings, they are eating a CH into 60+ damage, once they start to respect you have the other options, or just cancel into a CD, etc. She has some really nice ways to make "custom" sequences and tons of safe shit.. though + frames ob are scarce.

When you were talking about her range I thought you meant it was good - she has some really nice range on a lot of her stuff.

Played a few games a bit ago with her, but was vs a guy I met in a discord chat, who was significantly more experienced than me, so I got tromped, but still, had a blast and I have a pretty good read on what I was doing wrong. His movement was light-years ahead of mine, I relied on on sws1 too much after my transitions and got predictable, I wasn't side stepping like I should have been, and of course I don't know the game in general super well so I was being way too hesitant to stick out buttons after blocking

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Fast don't mean squat when it's not safe.

Always play hard but safely. You don't to get hurt right:D

In the new year. Lol. I promise I'll put my name on it. I'll grab a shitty PS4 soon enough but between taking care of the family and soon to be school it ain't in the cards.
BET! You betta brotha! We got some catching up online to do! And thank you so much for your advice n tips. I decided to make me a quick video of me playing some online matches on my bday. Hell, i even came across Santa lol. SO WHOOP THERE IT IS! Pointers and critiques are always greatly appreciated. Stay Righteous ;)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Jin will get a victory soon enough especially with the new PS4 patch that has seen a influx of Mishima's everywhere.
Defense is harder than attacking in tekken that takes time, ever since the patch came along i feel like i'm learning the game again.
100$ combos are much easier to do now, its like a walk in the park, reactions are also easier, with PS4 version being only 1f slower than PC with Vsync on mishimas will finally be able to be used on their full potential this will include Jin as well, since his F4 now its easier to use things like back dash and etc after using and opponent blocking, proper spacing everything now is taken into account.

EntropicByDesign

Feng is an i16~, +5-6ob, +9oh, Counterhit launching mid with good range that has some evasive properties at start-up. I mean, it comes out of a qcf dash, so it's not as fast as i16 when you count the dash startup.. but my god.

No point to this, just.. impressed.

Oh and there's a low to mix it with, though the low is possible to react to.

oh again, you can mix with an i11 safe mid, just to stack options.

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Defense is harder than attacking in tekken that takes time, ever since the patch came along i feel like i'm learning the game again.
100$ combos are much easier to do now, its like a walk in the park, reactions are also easier, with PS4 version being only 1f slower than PC with Vsync on mishimas will finally be able to be used on their full potential this will include Jin as well, since his F4 now its easier to use things like back dash and etc after using and opponent blocking, proper spacing everything now is taken into account.
Yeah I'm picking him up again. He's too strong. But I'm still going to stay faithful to Hitachi.

Defense in this game is my Achilles heel. My fault really. I'm starting to realize my play style has begun to be way to offensive and I hit that proverbial brick wall.

Besides that the netcode is ridiculously good. Even on the Xbox. Gonna bring out Hitachi, king & Jin online to force my ass to play better with defense way more in mind since I've always played more cool, calm & collected with them.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah I'm picking him up again. He's too strong. But I'm still going to stay faithful to Hitachi.

Defense in this game is my Achilles heel. My fault really. I'm starting to realize my play style has begun to be way to offensive and I hit that proverbial brick wall.

Besides that the netcode is ridiculously good. Even on the Xbox. Gonna bring out Hitachi, king & Jin online to force my ass to play better with defense way more in mind since I've always played more cool, calm & collected with them.
He is pretty solid in this game actually, no real weakness, but requires some deep knowledge of the game.

EntropicByDesign

My character picks keep not surviving actual sets. Fun in training mode and messing about, but they don't translate to what I want in actual matches. It's not a matter of winning (or failing miserably to do so) , just how the characters "feel" in the thick of things.. except Josie, she continued to be amazingly fun and interesting.

Bob wasn't originally a character I thought much about because I just HATE how he looks, but other than looks, he essentially is everything I want in a character. Going to play some matches tomorrow.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I know he gets alot of shit, but Eddy is my guy. I cannot stray away from the Capo GOD! But my next pick....im thinking of either re-learning Akuma or learning Bob

Akuma....MAAAAN HIS DAMAGE! He can fuck up with 80% damaging combos with meter. BEAST!
Bob - That muthafucka is so unorthodox, quick pokes FOREVER, and hes just hard to fight against. So I want to re-learn him as well, so i can learn his strings, and how to block his strings.

Which do u guys prefer i should pick up first? This game is soooo fucking fun, i honestly, eventually wanna try EVERYBODY!

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I know he gets alot of shit, but Eddy is my guy. I cannot stray away from the Capo GOD! But my next pick....im thinking of either re-learning Akuma or learning Bob

Akuma....MAAAAN HIS DAMAGE! He can fuck up with 80% damaging combos with meter. BEAST!
Bob - That muthafucka is so unorthodox, quick pokes FOREVER, and hes just hard to fight against. So I want to re-learn him as well, so i can learn his strings, and how to block his strings.

Which do u guys prefer i should pick up first? This game is soooo fucking fun, i honestly, eventually wanna try EVERYBODY!

EntropicByDesign

Im playing Josie and Bob right now. Bob is extremely straight forward and strong. He's safe on damn near *everything* and has a million different mids to keep things interesting. Any time you have a CD with a safe mid and a high damage kd low option you have a fantastic a) scrub killer option and b) automatic mind game, you don't even have to roll the dice on the low option, just having the threat of it means the safe mid connects.. and the CD itself is just a super nice option to have. His back roll thing is nice if you're KBDC isn't on point (mine isnt. Mine are good enough to use, but if I really need to rip them out under pressure to reset a bad situation I'll get 2-3 then screw up sometimes) because you can kinda meatball roll to safety. One combo option for most of them your main launchers is super nice.. Command throw that leads to 50~ damage... Great Wall game and Oki options.. Bobs only weakness (imo) is his non-ch launchers are slower, or less safe than a lot of other characters, he doesn't have any real hail mary style stuff that'll let you roll the dice to bring a game back and while he has a ton of very good stuff, he doesn't have those one or two ultra powerful, abuse-able options that help define some characters... But a solid, fundamental Bob is a BEAST of a character.

And then usual caveat, I'm new, in learning, the above opinion is just based on my own observations.

Akuma I don't know much about other than he has some bullshit level low conversions , and he's very unsafe/all or nothing. You roll big dice on big damage.

EntropicByDesign

Welllllllllll

I bought Tekken on PS4. No Geese, and I guess no Eliza (though she doesn't show as available to buy) but since I don't play either character that's hardly an issue.

Gonna spend some time with it this morning getting the feel for it. It's 1f different, as I understand it, so I imagine I'll need to adjust a tad.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick

Jin with less lag
Have you tried sidestepping after wallsplat into bf2,3-CDS3 or just b2,1 into some other wall carry variation? Just sidewalk and wait until the splatted character's knees hit the ground to initiate the juggle sequence and if you angle yourself right you can get a double splat and squeeze even more damage in there.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Have you tried sidestepping after wallsplat into bf2,3-CDS3 or just b2,1 into some other wall carry variation? Just sidewalk and wait until the splatted character's knees hit the ground to initiate the juggle sequence and if you angle yourself right you can get a double splat and squeeze even more damage in there.
Yes i do know about those, i do them all the time, was just exploiting some new options, with Jin its really important to keep them at the wall, the sidestep wall carry is good if it leads to another splat, which often happens on octangular stages, stages similar to the ones on the video are much harder and when it doesn't the max damage its usuall 50+, so getting 60+ on those setups makes it worth it..

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I had the opportunity to play both PC and PS4 version, and it seems PS4 seems to be 1f faster than PC.

But i guess PC has a way to make it a frame faster than PS4, i guess with VSync off right? but damn, the characters are feeling like paper right now, can't believe i though i used to play T7.

The mishimas are so fun to play now, i believe JDCR, Qudans, Chikurin and many mishima players will start to shine in tournaments right now.

I feel like i can explore this Jin to its fullest since lots of thing used to be excessively hard because of the lag, now i can do them with my eyes closed, this includes EWHF, microdash, outspacing and deciding a momentum to approach without getting hit by random shit, reacting to lows, everything feels in place now.

EntropicByDesign

So PS4 is 1f FASTER than pC, if PC has vsync on? Because I sat down for 30m this morning on PS4 tekken, juts mess about in practice and my electrics felt better on PS4. Quite a bit better. Left side is my weaker side, but I was hitting 3 electric juggles with dJin on the left, all three proper electrics, about twice out of 10 vs literally 0 out of 10 before.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
I have a question but does crouch dashing apply to all characters? Because im hearing sway characters are different and how do i know what characters are sway characters?

EntropicByDesign

I have a question but does crouch dashing apply to all characters? Because im hearing sway characters are different and how do i know what characters are sway characters?

Not everyone has a crouch dash. Sway characters have a kind of back command dash done with qcb. There's only a few of them.. Bryan, Paul and one or two others but im drawing a blank on who else.

CD characters come in two types, one type used qcf to sort of command dash forward and the other uses a dp motion, f,n,d,df , and all these dashes typically have commands out of them.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Not everyone has a crouch dash. Sway characters have a kind of back command dash done with qcb. There's only a few of them.. Bryan, Paul and one or two others but im drawing a blank on who else.

CD characters come in two types, one type used qcf to sort of command dash forward and the other uses a dp motion, f,n,d,df , and all these dashes typically have commands out of them.
Got it. So sway characters have that motion on the move list? Also would you recommend i work on movement before anything else? And third of all, thanks for the quick reply my dude. Your awsome

EntropicByDesign

Got it. So sway characters have that motion on the move list? Also would you recommend i work on movement before anything else? And third of all, thanks for the quick reply my dude. Your awsome

Tekken *IS* movement, so absolutely. Every time I play and my movement is bad, or the other guy's is better or I just sorta forget and try to stand and bang, I get shit on. Movement also transfers to every character, so it's hugely important but works for any character.

And yes, the sway, roll dash(what I call the qcf dash) and the crouch dash will all show up in the movelist along with the moves available out of the dashes. They have character specific names though i believe. They are also considered by a lot of players as stances, so you may hear someone refer to them as a stance. I hear players say things like "such and such option out of Bryan's backsway stance" etc.

KBDCs can be harder to do for characters that have a back sway.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
ok so if by crouch dash you mean wave dash no not everybody can do that. It seems what you are talking about is korean back dash which is different for sway characters. Normal korean back dash or kbc can be done by b,b,qcb,b,qcb. Sway characters have to kbd b,b,db,b,db but as a slide motion from b to db. Hope this makes sence as im a few jds in lol

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
ok so if by crouch dash you mean wave dash no not everybody can do that. It seems what you are talking about is korean back dash which is different for sway characters. Normal korean back dash or kbc can be done by b,b,qcb,b,qcb. Sway characters have to kbd b,b,db,b,db but as a slide motion from b to db. Hope this makes sence as im a few jds in lol
Hmm ok. Sway characters have a different backdash motion. Would the same motion apply going foward?

EntropicByDesign

Hmm ok. Sway characters have a different backdash motion. Would the same motion apply going foward?

All characters have the same back dash, accessible by hitting back back. Back sway characters just have an additional backdash that acts differently and has some moves attached to it.

When people talk about s Korean back dash, they are talking about cancelling a regular back dash into another one, over and over, very quickly. Every character does it. The only difference is one method for doing it works for everyone single character and one method -that os arguably easier - works for every character EXCEPT back sway characters because it used a quarter circle motion to cancel the back dash.. on a character with a backsway that causes.. well, a backsway, which messes up the whole thing.

Wave dashing is done by characters with a crouch dash (f,n,d,df) and is sort of the same idea as a KBDC in that you are performing the crouch dash, cancelling the CD and performing another one. The result is low to the ground, rapid forward movement with powerful crouch dash only moves available, as well as the ability to cancel the CD in such a way that you get access to your while standing moves as well.

Don't worry about wave dashing yet. Just grind the shit out of the KBDC. And don't believe the whole 'it takes a year" thing. I have them 100% on one side and about 80% on the other and I've practiced 15m a day for about a month.