What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
You're in AUS right? We should play sometime soon

Have checked out any of the videos on how to do them? I think you'll get it. Its about speed and precision it seems like. Some people really struggle, and while I cant say what i can do in a real match, the first time I ever played Tekken I sat down and fiddled with them for about 45m in training mode just to see what the fuss was about.. and was maybe 6 for 10 at the end and about 3 for 10 immediately - and Im not saying that as some silly 'hurr hurr im gud' thing, I just mean I think that once you mess with them some and they 'click' for you, they wont be *nearly* as difficult.. at least in training mode. What I imagine starts to get difficult is landing the double EWGF (or Jin's equivilant) combos in real matches.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Have checked out any of the videos on how to do them? I think you'll get it. Its about speed and precision it seems like. Some people really struggle, and while I cant say what i can do in a real match, the first time I ever played Tekken I sat down and fiddled with them for about 45m in training mode just to see what the fuss was about.. and was maybe 6 for 10 at the end and about 3 for 10 immediately - and Im not saying that as some silly 'hurr hurr im gud' thing, I just mean I think that once you mess with them some and they 'click' for you, they wont be *nearly* as difficult.. at least in training mode. What I imagine starts to get difficult is landing the double EWGF (or Jin's equivilant) combos in real matches.
Just seems fucking difficult to use it in neutral whilst trying to backdash or use it as a whiff punish, let alone trying to do it in combos.

Maybe it's easier on a stick? I'm currently on PS4 pad

EntropicByDesign

I just played some Ranked....

Ok.. ok. I get it now. I get it.

I also think Steve is probably broken at the lowest level. B1 just.. wins. I kept missing my pickups, and I honestly dont understand why, cause I was on point timing wise, maybe just the online lagg thing.

So, I was getting kinda bodied cause I dont know fuck all about whats happening in terms of strings and identifying visually. Guy kept using some armored kick thing as Jin, and Rage art (I lost the entire first game, all three rounds, to dropping the round winning combo, into having my followup rage-arted, lol), but I adjusted, started playing back a little bit and letting him START to come to me, then Id step in as he got closer and start my offense. Now, luckily he never thought to duck.. Ever... So I was just hammering away with my fast ass highs that leave me pretty even OB, then, like clockwork, He'd block a string, eat a hit or two, block a string, then get antsy and stick out a button, so I'd follow with B1. Get the CH, fail to combo. And repeat the process until he was dead. lol. Id stick out lows to catch him stepping in occasionally, but he never ducked - ever. I played a little more patiently around his RA (maybe its drive? I forget.. Itrs the canned combo) and started to use my movement as Steve, the side steps and such, and by the later games (we played for a bit) I was connecting combos, though I still wasnt picking up B1 CHs for some reason. Maybe nerves and I was using the wrong move.. Dunno.. and once that happened I was pretty much just washing the rounds out. My usual execution issues meant that I kept back jumnping occasionally, and by the last two games, these accidental back jumps were literally his only offense. I got promoted to 8th something or other.

That was.. more fun than I expected. The guy wasn't adapting AT ALL, he was just DOING THE STUFF HARDER that he did in the first round of the first game, but he was trying to play the game, which was nice. And by that I mean he wasnt mindlessly mashing, he was trying to move and space and like me, had a poverty backdash cancel lol.

I dunno.. Dont misunderstand me, Im not packing my bags to go take on Knee or anything, but that just felt good.. I was able to react to a couple low attempts (though I failed miserably at punishing them), adapt around a player who had more games than me, He was some other rank than Dan and his profile had the little pips filled up (Ive played three or four people, one match each prior to this and three were unplayably laggy) and actually make decisions.

I think I understand the Ranked nature of Tekken, at least for the main playerbase, I guess the point is that fast adaptation, what they will let you get away with, what you wont let them get away with, and all that. It makes more sense now.

Kooron Nation

I think I understand the Ranked nature of Tekken, at least for the main playerbase, I guess the point is that fast adaptation, what they will let you get away with, what you wont let them get away with, and all that. It makes more sense now.
Wait til you verse a Xiayou, Eddy, Law, or Hwoarang and everything you think you understand will not matter :)

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
As a new player to the game, and wanting to use Jin (my fav character) how important is it to be consistent and use electrics? I understand he's different to the other mishimas, and hear he does well without using it, but it's obviously a very strong tool.

I sat in practice for over an hour and couldn't get it once lol, as a new player is it okay to not even worry about it and just do regular wind God fist for now?

@Eddy Wang @Smoke_Of_Finland
@any other Mishima players
Jin is not a Mishima, he is a dirty bastard.

Edit: I was not trying to be snarky or troll with that comment. Jin is not considered a Mishima archetype, he is really fucking good though hence the dirty bastard comment.

Last edited:

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
OK so some stuff about Geese off the top of my head: 1 xx qcb1 can be used as an optional i10 punisher instead of 1,1,2 and it knocks down and wallsplats. Standing 4 (i16) is decent at -3 on block, f1+2 is decent, df2 is decent and running 1 is decent. His df1 tracks to his left and in general you should step to your left against Geese. B3,2 tracks in both directions and must be walked to your left. F4 is at least -14 with pushback and linear and around i18 I think. F3 roundhouse kicks (left leg spinning axe kicks with Geese yellin yaaahh) are +1 on block, everything else is negative on block, including the staggering backfist mids (df3 extension mid and b2?). Max mode cancels give no significant advantage, dick jab or sidestep. 1+2 is i14 mid that gives a guaranteed ground throw on Ch and it tracks fully to Geese's right and is safe. Pretty much all other non-lows are -14 or worse on block. His jumping attacks are negative on block and there is no need to respect him after you block a jump attack.

Standing 1 and 2 can be cancelled into f1 and f3. S1 doesn't naturally combo into qcb2, only qcb1. F1 is unsafe and must be cancelled to specials ie. qcb moves or the high and mid half circle back 3 and 4's. F3 can't be cancelled into anything. When you see blue sparks you should just duck and launch as all his specials start off with a special mid into a high and after that there is a mix-up. His specials do chip damage and letting him abuse qcb2,3 is bound to stack up as the rounds progress so rolling the dice and not being afraid to duck and launch is important against Geese. You can't let him get away with pressuring you with custom strings because they can be severely blown up one way or another and eating the occasional mid is not the end of the world.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Oh and the game looks and feels glorious on PC. Running consistent 60 FPS at all max settings. Some of the combo timings definitely threw me off at first and I suspect there is no going back to playing on PS4 once you get used to the PC version.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
As a new player to the game, and wanting to use Jin (my fav character) how important is it to be consistent and use electrics? I understand he's different to the other mishimas, and hear he does well without using it, but it's obviously a very strong tool.

I sat in practice for over an hour and couldn't get it once lol, as a new player is it okay to not even worry about it and just do regular wind God fist for now?

I think we covered this on our PM's a few months back.

Kooron Nation

Jin is not a Mishima, he is a dirty bastard.

Edit: I was not trying to be snarky or troll with that comment. Jin is not considered a Mishima archetype, he is really fucking good though hence the dirty bastard comment.
Lmao it's all good bro, he's not as dumb as Tekken 4 Jin is he?
Just curious what makes him so dirty? I'm super Noob to competitive Tekken and never see anyone use him in the majors so was just curious

Kooron Nation

I think we covered this on our PM's a few months back.
Yeah man something happened to my account here and I lost all PM's and other saved things like watched threads, strange but no big deal. Sucks cause there was a lot of tech in there, I remember a lot of what you showed me in practice.

I been hardcore on Injustice 2 since I was attending a few tournaments and that but I'm keen to get back into this a lot more again

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Yeah man something happened to my account here and I lost all PM's and other saved things like watched threads, strange but no big deal. Sucks cause there was a lot of tech in there, I remember a lot of what you showed me in practice.

I been hardcore on Injustice 2 since I was attending a few tournaments and that but I'm keen to get back into this a lot more again
I replied to the PM thread, can you see it now?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Lmao it's all good bro, he's not as dumb as Tekken 4 Jin is he?
Just curious what makes him so dirty? I'm super Noob to competitive Tekken and never see anyone use him in the majors so was just curious
I am not the best person to answer this but his mix ups from strings and stances can be pretty dirty if you don't know whats going on. He has hell sweep, electrics, hopkicks good damage and oki all that adds up to a dirty fucking bastard lol.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Just seems fucking difficult to use it in neutral whilst trying to backdash or use it as a whiff punish, let alone trying to do it in combos.

Maybe it's easier on a stick? I'm currently on PS4 pad
dont give up on it man. It takes time but well worth the practice. I play kaz and he relies on it alot more than jin but once you get it down you can start practicing it with movement. Multiple ewgf combos do big damage. Trust me this game rewards your efforts and parctice more then any other fighting game.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Jin is a cool character, but honestly he is extremely dificult to master in this game.
In a scale of 1 to 10 i would definitely give him 10.

Compared to him only Akira Yuki in VF, where if you really master everything he becomes top tier, Jin won't become top tier but he gets close enough.

His main problems are reach, anything fast is too short or high, anything reaching is way to slow with mostly no track at all, so the major issue you will find its going to be ppl stealing turns on your hits.

Beware of moves like DB4, d4, 2, 1 also b+2, 1, df1, those tend to be -2 to +6 and this its still not plus enough to enforce some guessing, so you gotta make them respect beyond that so you can start throwing out the heavy stuff and its a really hard thing to do.

EWHF is super dificult, it needs to be perfect frame all the time because the WHF version only launches on CH
his combos are average damage without microdash which can get to 60+, but if you learn microdashes then he gets to 70+ which is the damage recommended to be aimed for, but at the expenses of an almost insane execution barrier.

He is stiff without advanced movement, like Gesse he also doesn't have a good backdash, its super short, you compensate that with Korean backdashes, wavedashes, intimidating dashes and so on.

PS4 lag powers you down, you miss time microdash, you can't react properly, you can sidestep properly, you can't punish properly, considering Jin is among the chars with a huge execution at the highest levels, this is going to cost ya in a long run.

But that's high level, at the beginner level he is very friendly and you can take his barriers one exercise at the time.
His F4 can be super dirty because its among the best keep out tools in the game.
His EWHF its tempting to throw it out there, but you make the most of it when used to pressure, or when you can force some heavy whiffs on characters, rewarded with your movement.

My YT channel has anything you need to learn about jim kazoomer, and we also have a jin discord which contains all the information out there.

youtube.com/damagexcaling

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I spent 2 days putting this together and so happy it's finally done! I complied some combos I came up with on day 1 while labbing. I hope y'all enjoy cuz this took a damn while to make lol.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous

I also think Steve is probably broken at the lowest level. B1 just.. wins. I kept missing my pickups, and I honestly dont understand why, cause I was on point timing wise, maybe just the online lagg thing.

So, I was getting kinda bodied cause I dont know fuck all about whats happening in terms of strings and identifying visually. Guy kept using some armored kick thing as Jin, and Rage art (I lost the entire first game, all three rounds, to dropping the round winning combo, into having my followup rage-arted, lol), but I adjusted, started playing back a little bit and letting him START to come to me, then Id step in as he got closer and start my offense. Now, luckily he never thought to duck.. Ever... So I was just hammering away with my fast ass highs that leave me pretty even OB, then, like clockwork, He'd block a string, eat a hit or two, block a string, then get antsy and stick out a button, so I'd follow with B1. Get the CH, fail to combo. And repeat the process until he was dead. lol. Id stick out lows to catch him stepping in occasionally, but he never ducked - ever. I played a little more patiently around his RA (maybe its drive? I forget.. Itrs the canned combo) and started to use my movement as Steve, the side steps and such, and by the later games (we played for a bit) I was connecting combos, though I still wasnt picking up B1 CHs for some reason. Maybe nerves and I was using the wrong move.. Dunno.. and once that happened I was pretty much just washing the rounds out. My usual execution issues meant that I kept back jumnping occasionally, and by the last two games, these accidental back jumps were literally his only offense. I got promoted to 8th something or other.

That was.. more fun than I expected. The guy wasn't adapting AT ALL, he was just DOING THE STUFF HARDER that he did in the first round of the first game, but he was trying to play the game, which was nice. And by that I mean he wasnt mindlessly mashing, he was trying to move and space and like me, had a poverty backdash cancel lol.

I dunno.. Dont misunderstand me, Im not packing my bags to go take on Knee or anything, but that just felt good.. I was able to react to a couple low attempts (though I failed miserably at punishing them), adapt around a player who had more games than me, He was some other rank than Dan and his profile had the little pips filled up (Ive played three or four people, one match each prior to this and three were unplayably laggy) and actually make decisions.

I'm glad you're finally getting it now ;) Its all about quick adaption. I had a game online vs Paul, and he LITERALLY gave up 2 rounds just so he can murder me 3 straight. Which is dirty, but this game is all about adapting to your opponent and making the right guesses. You can't just throw out an attack unless you know how to connect with it next. Know what footsies you can use to keep your opponent at bay. And most importantly, MOST PLAYERS DO NO BLOCK LOW! So you will learn quick how to take advantage of that, and condition their ass when you're ready to throw out that launcher combo.

Once u get your feet wet into the Blue ranks (you will know when you get there) start learning advance techniques like low parry (which is a whole different beast) but it will set you up for a free combo. Welcome to the world of Tekken, brotha! :)

EntropicByDesign

I'm glad you're finally getting it now ;) Its all about quick adaption. I had a game online vs Paul, and he LITERALLY gave up 2 rounds just so he can murder me 3 straight. Which is dirty, but this game is all about adapting to your opponent and making the right guesses. You can't just throw out an attack unless you know how to connect with it next. Know what footsies you can use to keep your opponent at bay. And most importantly, MOST PLAYERS DO NO BLOCK LOW! So you will learn quick how to take advantage of that, and condition their ass when you're ready to throw out that launcher combo.

Once u get your feet wet into the Blue ranks (you will know when you get there) start learning advance techniques like low parry (which is a whole different beast) but it will set you up for a free combo. Welcome to the world of Tekken, brotha! :)

Yeah, I'm trying to get some decent Steve guide info, but a lot of the guides Im finding really arent that great. They show combos and list some of his main moves, and thats great, but Im having to hunt around to put together the frame data, which seems all important for Steve, knowing whats + OH and Block and so on, so I can kind of put together some sequences in my head in terms of pressuring in CH fishing... I was hoping to find a guide that went into his strings/moves and such a little and talked more about how you mix off various options, maybe touching on some offensive flowcharting and such. There's a Josie guide (Really like her.. probably more than Bryan. I think I like Bryan in theory more than practice) that really digs into the hows and whys of her main strings, and not just "This is gud heres its startup and block frame data".. but more like why/when you use it, if it has any alternate options and what its frame data or followups really allow OH and OB. I'm not looking for a guide thats ok push these buttons in this order and you win congrats! but sample offensive flowcharting is, at least to me, SO helpful in understanding how you build an offense with a character in a game like this that is SO much more complex than a typical 2d game.

Its not a big deal in the long run though, I understand frame data, so barring finding a guide that I really like, I can just compile the relevant data on the various moves and make sense of it from there. Steve is super complex in a way, but in practice, I dont think he is that much different than other characters. I mean, there's a lot to keep track of, shit like cancelling certain moves into stances OB because it makes them safer, and that kinda stuff, but ultimately I think his numerous stances and huge range of moves are just a matter of being creative with your pressure and your movement.

b1 is fucking nutso. So is df1+2 for what it does.

Want to look into Josie a little too, I like her emphasis on strings and stance stuff, CHs, and various mix options.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Yeah, I'm trying to get some decent Steve guide info, but a lot of the guides Im finding really arent that great. They show combos and list some of his main moves, and thats great, but Im having to hunt around to put together the frame data, which seems all important for Steve, knowing whats + OH and Block and so on, so I can kind of put together some sequences in my head in terms of pressuring in CH fishing... I was hoping to find a guide that went into his strings/moves and such a little and talked more about how you mix off various options, maybe touching on some offensive flowcharting and such. There's a Josie guide (Really like her.. probably more than Bryan. I think I like Bryan in theory more than practice) that really digs into the hows and whys of her main strings, and not just "This is gud heres its startup and block frame data".. but more like why/when you use it, if it has any alternate options and what its frame data or followups really allow OH and OB. I'm not looking for a guide thats ok push these buttons in this order and you win congrats! but sample offensive flowcharting is, at least to me, SO helpful in understanding how you build an offense with a character in a game like this that is SO much more complex than a typical 2d game.

Its not a big deal in the long run though, I understand frame data, so barring finding a guide that I really like, I can just compile the relevant data on the various moves and make sense of it from there. Steve is super complex in a way, but in practice, I dont think he is that much different than other characters. I mean, there's a lot to keep track of, shit like cancelling certain moves into stances OB because it makes them safer, and that kinda stuff, but ultimately I think his numerous stances and huge range of moves are just a matter of being creative with your pressure and your movement.

b1 is fucking nutso. So is df1+2 for what it does.

Want to look into Josie a little too, I like her emphasis on strings and stance stuff, CHs, and various mix options.
Look up legendaryMihawk on youtube. He has practically every BnB for every character and probably one of (if not THEE BEST) combo guides for Tekken 7. His combo guides will show you the basis of how each character flows as far as what good moves to start with, launch, counter, and even wall bounce combos. Check him out :)

EntropicByDesign

Look up legendaryMihawk on youtube. He has practically every BnB for every character and probably one of (if not THEE BEST) combo guides for Tekken 7. His combo guides will show you the basis of how each character flows as far as what good moves to start with, launch, counter, and even wall bounce combos. Check him out :)

Yep! I've got his channel on my list and usually start there to understand combo routes then look at a video or two more to see other options, or in the case of Steve, make up my own because I'm bad at the accepted routes. For Steve I just need to get plain ole frame data so I can make more intelligent offensive decisions. All I've been doing so far is my rapid strings into occasional mids, and even more occasional lows, and using my movement instead of the rapid fire strings, to sneak in stupid shit that works at my level like run up, stop and hesitate, then do 4 for the side step and 1,2 for the shoulder into launch lol

EntropicByDesign

Well I had my first Rage Quit and what equates to pretty much my second match ever.

Match starts, I just throw a b1. Counter hits and I pick up the combo. He gets up, I whiff punish a super random move with Sonic Fang. I move in hit b1.. counter hit and pick up the combo. That's pretty much that round. Next round starts I hit back one and get a counterhit. Pick up the combo.. run up figure why not and hit b1 again. Ch. Combo. Run up, he hits me on wake up. I figure oh why the f*** not, and just Mash back one.. counterhit.. he Rage Quit.

I am pretty sure that at the lowest levels of play where I am Steve and his back one are the most broken thing ever. It will be deeply sad when I play better players and cannot just Mash out 40% of their life bar whatever I kind of feel frisky.