What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
This game is cool as fuck, Tekken Bowling needs to drop though single player BS makes me feel like my money is well spent.

Who is a good Alisa player I can steal tech from?

Tips for playing Alisa? I've just been labbing the shit out of her and know a bit but I'm looking to get inspired enough to play this game a little more seriously and she's been the character that keeps me coming back.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This game is cool as fuck, Tekken Bowling needs to drop though single player BS makes me feel like my money is well spent.

Who is a good Alisa player I can steal tech from?

Tips for playing Alisa? I've just been labbing the shit out of her and know a bit but I'm looking to get inspired enough to play this game a little more seriously and she's been the character that keeps me coming back.
Two of the best you'll find playing each other in the mirror. Check it out, and then check YouTube for their gameplay with her. There's a ton to watch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I just keep kicking ass and getting way better every month lol

If i luckly manage to not die and manage to gather enough money for a evo trip i might end up signing up for tekken 7 as well, why the hell not? lol.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
If i luckly manage to not die and manage to gather enough money for a evo trip i might end up signing up for tekken 7 as well, why the hell not? lol.
I feel the same. I keep getting better to this. I'm picking Katarina as well for a possible counterpick. I will most likely compete on Tekken 7. Dunno if ESL has Tekken 7 as a game.

I wonder why people rage quit player matches??? I mean you lost, can't wait until the screen passes to choose another opponent? Does the "you lose" screen really hurt that much? lol

This happens to two of my friends specifically all the time. Like 3 times a week. No clue why. It never happens to me though. It's happened mid set to them and all lol.
I dont know why either, its only because I have my 1,2,3 and 4 buttons set different that it messes me up totally.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If you guys didn't knew, there was a korean major yesterday.
My boy Cherryberrymango ended in 4th place playing solely Jin and taking big names like Chikurin, Chanel etc, he only lost to JDCR and Noruma due 2 mistakes in each match, which sadly was enough.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
japan(noroma) taking that from losers was crazy and knee drowning in pools.

btw Knee was signed by ROX gaming. anybody heard of ROX gaming? could find their site on google. reading on twitter that ROX is a league esports team. really happy we get more Knee in future tekken majors.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
ahh paul i hate you:D . Had a good laugh at this. Oh and they need to change it from death fist to freedom fist cause it the only way:cool:

Last edited:

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I was going to post this in the comment section of one of Aris' videos (low block video) but considering its YT and people are complaining about Snake edge and what not I'd figure it's a fruitless platform to conversate anything so here goes:

Best defence against lows/throws and generally being mixed up is to use a lot of mids and try to stay close to your opponent, close enough to always pose a threat. Even when you are not really trying to rush down your opponent you should strive to create that mental stress and impose that state of mind in them that they either have to use quick highs, mids, ch launchers and launchers as well as evasive and crush moves or something else that's unsafe because to them it seems like the only options they have to keep you in check is to do one of those things. it's completely OK to have something safe blocked and simply do nothing but block for a very short while afterwards even if there is no sidestep/backdash whiff setup available because the information you gain by doing these things repeatedly and using that information is what's gonna win you the match eventually. As long as you know when to move forward safely you are practically safe from mix-ups. Pseudo frame traps and looking to go too ham is what's going to get you killed and counterhit as well as moving straight into launchers. By utilising smart offence all of the variables in the game become a lot more manageable and there are less things to consider at any given moment.

Forcing your opponent to play in a defensive mindset takes away a lot of the mix-up guessing game, you get counterpoked with defensive generic d4's, that's a given, but considering they don't really do anything it's completely ok to eat them and you can cash out on a big chunk of damage eventually.

Even the scrubbiest players can come up with basic 50/50's. Letting them do those things by trying to evade everything through movement and just looking to gain damage through punishment is vastly inferior to forcing them to react to your gameplan. You dash in your opp's face and just block and your run-of-the-mill green rank Laws will be mashing out standing 4, b3+4, fF3 and d2,3 instead of slide/db4 and double flipkicks and ws2. The 50/50 coin toss is always in favour of the player initiating the mix-up. You can't win by looking to do nothing but punish unless your opponent is absolute ass. Defence is where bad players fall apart and they'll always do the exact same things when counterpoking so it's just way easier to win if you adopt an offensive mindset because you get to see their bad habits sooner and formulate setups for full combo damage opportunities accordingly.

I have come to this conclusion after being a total scrub in MK9, getting slightly better at that game and adopting an overly defensive mindset which seemed to bare fruit at the time, eventually that carried over to TTT2, SCV and MK X. I have become increasingly more and more aggressive and more concerned with balancing out a risk versus reward ratio that's favourable rather than looking to imitate JDCR and Knee for no reason at all other than thinking that's the way you ought to play the game. You simply can't make everything whiff by movement alone without setting anything up with pokes. Turtling will always be the harder way to win and I don't think it's practical to play with that mindset. People will always ride JDCR's and Knee's dick because they seem so next level in their playstyle. Yet we see players like Saint, Nobi and Anakin press hella buttons and take plenty of risks and do just as well.

I received similar advice when I started TTT2, it seemed counter-intuitive at the time. I thought it was pointless to try to really attack unless the opponent wasn't because I just thought opponents would eventually give me the openings to blow them up anyway.

It's also a lot easier to punish things when the game is in a predictable flow state and rhytm. If you lose a round by being the aggressor you always have the chance to adjust and it's easier to figure out how to do what needs to be done to win the match. If you are turtling you are more prone to being subjected to these adjustments and it's harder to read the opponent through the course of multiple rounds and matches because you are letting them have more options available to them as opposed to what they would have if you were pressuring them instead of the other way around.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
60 seconds is a short time to work with. If your opponent can break throws you really can't pull big damage out of your ass like you could in TTT2 with tag assaults, tag crash baits or 2ndary character rage poking, especially near walls because you get all kinds of wonky side splats that you can't properly capitalize on. You need to get going right from the start of the match and keep on keeping on until your opponent's life bar is no more. Even if you are looking to time your opponent out you could get hit by a rage art or drive that puts the opponent in the life lead and RA also stops the clock. If you are clearly looking to block the rage art and the opponent sees it that's basically a free pass for the opponent to run up in your face and go for a mix-up. If you are ducking against Jack to guard his rage drive for example he can completely destroy you with d1+2, fF2 or blue spark megaton uppercut.

Especially as Heihachi I feel like being aggressive is of critical importance because he needs to establish a lot of mids to get make contact so it becomes harder for the opponent to get a read on the lows, you also push the opponent backwards and throwing is discouraged so they can't position switch to relieve wall pressure with a throw that position changes on hit/break. There is also a higher chance of setting up a whiff because of the sheer volume of quickly recovering mids that get blocked because the opponent is forced to counterpoke sooner or later instead of just moving to avoid the wall.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
This dude sent me hatemail by accident cuz my asuka was shit lol. I told him I don't play her and was shaheen and he says you were ok gg's (I beat him 5 straight). I ask who he was and said I play a drag every other set and he responds that's suprising cuz he is so under powered..................

Then he goes on to say his sweep can be blocked and parried by everyone but its a good move cuz it works online lol. He then argues with me how he is not a scrub.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Kazumi is fucking good.
She's fine to beat up friends and in locals. She has to many issues on the highest level of play to be considered really good.

She is heavily downplayed here by Smoke of Finnland and Immortal tho.
It's really not a rocket science. She has a lot of hitbox issues ans she really doesn't do anything above what other solid characters do. Like i said she's fine to beat up friends with her solid up close basic tools but that's about it.

Everything she does, Nina does better. The only reason to play her over Nina - she's super easy to learn and play, while Nina is extremely hard to learn and play on a high level.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
She is heavily downplayed here by Smoke of Finnland and Immortal tho.
She has no execution good damage, wall carry and oki. 10f knock down, can fly across the screen and throw tigers. I see her played constantly by the koreans and jp the not knowing the matchup excuse doesnt apply anyone.

She is legit good and simple.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
She's fine to beat up friends and in locals. She has to many issues on the highest level of play to be considered really good.
I dunno you guys make it sound like she low as fuck tier. She is constantly played in every tournament I watch us and overseas and they all do decently well.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
She can't do much to discourage sidestepping. Not having a non-jailing extension to her jab string combined with her wonky df1-series makes her poking game just OK instead of oppressively good. Fly stance is not a legitimate mix-up tool but rather just a good combo tool.

I think I've never stated she was bad, she just isn't as good as she ought to be and she doesn't have anything that makes you go "man, that is some cheap shit". Jinpachi was way better in Tag 2 because he had some legitimately cheap shit instead of being "just OK".

Edit: Her punishment and combo damage is the best she can offer. If the opponent can't duck 3,2 on reaction then that string becomes pretty dope, but yeah, she is just OK.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
She can't do much to discourage sidestepping. Not having a non-jailing extension to her jab string combined with her wonky df1-series makes her poking game just OK instead of oppressively good. Fly stance is not a legitimate mix-up tool but rather just a good combo tool.

I think I've never stated she was bad, she just isn't as good as she ought to be and she doesn't have anything that makes you go "man, that is some cheap shit". Jinpachi was way better in Tag 2 because he had some legitimately cheap shit instead of being "just OK".

Edit: Her punishment and combo damage is the best she can offer. If the opponent can't duck 3,2 on reaction then that string becomes pretty dope, but yeah, she is just OK.
She aint no drag, leo or jack but it seems like jp and korea are doing pretty well with her for just being ok.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Is jack bad or something? Maybe not in long sets but def a solid tourney character.
Jack is definitely good, he works like a Russian tractor :D. It's just funny to me because I saw someone at Kor's Tekken academy make a thread claiming Jack is top tier based on tournament usage and results. Kazumi would be kinda the same, a good character that might get predictable in longer sets or when 2 players who play each other all the time VS each other in a tournament.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I dunno you guys make it sound like she low as fuck tier. She is constantly played in every tournament I watch us and overseas and they all do decently well.
You're making a simple mistake. Judging her by player skill not by the toolset she has.

JDCR can probably make Gigas look top tier. Does this means Gigas is top tier? No.

Kazumi is just ok (nobody said she's bad), they do decently well with her coz they're good (JP/Kor) players and thats about it. There is pletora of better characters then her in T7.