What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

why can't I send other players 1vs1 challenges in ranked? always getting an error
how come other ppl can send me 1vs1 challenges and I can accept without getting an error?

weird

also, how do I leave a lobby?

Last edited:

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Finally got around to dusting off my Kaz today and god damn this version is really good. DVJ is still really good and fun but he is part jin so that makes him a bitch :D. Also surprised by the amount of cool people I have met just in game from ranked and casual matches that message me after. Everyone just wants to get matchup experience and its great there is literally no salt at least that I have noticed.

Reactions: GAV

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So what platform did everyone buy on? I bought on PC because (eventual) 4k purdyness and because I read about some issues with the PS4 version (the version I had intended to buy).

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
@Sutter Pain beat me by two seconds...

Sutter Pain in the ;)

Anyway, I spent my night last night customizing Lee and Leo and doing a bunch of combos. If you're new to Tekken, I suggest going to your sample combos for your character and learning 2 or 3. I did that, and since I now understand how to juggle with Leo, I created 4 other combos on my own, using some of the moves from three of the Sample Combos and some I just came up with on the fly.

Eventually I'll get some picks and vids up here. My custom Leo is sweetness. Different hair, different jacket but undoubtedly the character.

So what platform did everyone buy on? I bought on PC because (eventual) 4k purdyness and because I read about some issues with the PS4 version (the version I had intended to buy).
I'm still an Xbox Live exclusive and probably will be for the game's life, since there is no Windows 10 version and I don't feel like buying it twice.

EntropicByDesign

One more question then.. Since characters have, oh... 250,000 or so different moves a piece, is there a resource that kind of narrows down, or categorizes the move lists of different characters, in order to give a newb some idea of what they should be working with early on? I dont have the game knowledge or understanding to look at that list and have any idea what I should be learning and what is most relevant.

I'm guessing various character guides and such perform this function, but I didnt know if there was a quick-reference of any kind out there I could make use of when I start running through various characters in Training Mode trying to figure out who I'm learning the game with.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
One more question then.. Since characters have, oh... 250,000 or so different moves a piece, is there a resource that kind of narrows down, or categorizes the move lists of different characters, in order to give a newb some idea of what they should be working with early on? I dont have the game knowledge or understanding to look at that list and have any idea what I should be learning and what is most relevant.

I'm guessing various character guides and such perform this function, but I didnt know if there was a quick-reference of any kind out there I could make use of when I start running through various characters in Training Mode trying to figure out who I'm learning the game with.
Here you go, bub...

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

EntropicByDesign

Ok, I lied about the whole last question thing.

Just curious, pad or stick?

I have both and I've always played NRS games on pad and pretty much everything else on stick, with everything else being SFiv/v and KOF. I haven't actually played enough GG to matter either way.

In most games it's preference as to which is better, but Tekken is a little odd. It LOOKS like pad would actually be superior due to the movement stuff.. if not in terms of raw speed then in terms of ease (returning to neutral on pad is much easier than stick of course.).

Shrug. Just curious. I'll try both. I've always found stick more fun, but I'm usually more accurate and precise on pad.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Ok, I lied about the whole last question thing.

Just curious, pad or stick?

I have both and I've always played NRS games on pad and pretty much everything else on stick, with everything else being SFiv/v and KOF. I haven't actually played enough GG to matter either way.

In most games it's preference as to which is better, but Tekken is a little odd. It LOOKS like pad would actually be superior due to the movement stuff.. if not in terms of raw speed then in terms of ease (returning to neutral on pad is much easier than stick of course.).

Shrug. Just curious. I'll try both. I've always found stick more fun, but I'm usually more accurate and precise on pad.
Whatever works for you. There is no wrong answer here.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Confession: have never played a game of Tekken in my entire life but I keep up with this thread because it's refreshing to see people actually discuss a fighting game without complaining how broken stuff is and shitting on people for having different opinions. Keep doing you, guys.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I've always preferred stick over pad for fighting games. They're just more comfortable for me. I even played Injustice with an arcade stick, even though that game was arguably designed for pad from the start.

First off, for me, pressing multiple buttons on an arcade stick is infinitely easier than pad. With pad, you're better off Macro-assigning multiple buttons to triggers or bumpers, unless you want to hold the pad reeaaally awkwardly (they call it... "the claw technique" :eek:)

You can assign buttons on stick as well, but that's more for convenience, as it really isn't necessary and your grip on the stick doesn't need to change, in order to hit buttons simultaneously. There are also a number of other reasons why I won't consider pad for Tekken:

1) Diagonals and Quarter Circle motions are much easier to do consistently on stick.

2) The difference between sticks are less marked than the difference between XB1 and PS4 pads.

3) Tekken is an arcade game and it has been since its inception. Forgive me for the elitist overtone, but learning on stick gives your progression and gameplay that "arcade authenticity".

Have you REALLY mastered Tekken if you haven't done so on stick?

You may disagree but I don't believe so.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Whatever works for you. There is no wrong answer here.
I disagree honestly. Tekken is far more intuitive on an Arcade Stick in my opinion. You can absolutely play on a regular old PS4/Xbone controller, but it makes a lot of the more complex characters a pain in the ass to play. Even universal stuff like back-dash cancelling is far, far easier and more manageable on a stick.

Again, not to discourage people from playing on controllers, but I find that Tekken is kind of designed for arcade sticks.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I disagree honestly. Tekken is far more intuitive on an Arcade Stick in my opinion. You can absolutely play on a regular old PS4/Xbone controller, but it makes a lot of the more complex characters a pain in the ass to play. Even universal stuff like back-dash cancelling is far, far easier and more manageable on a stick.

Again, not to discourage people from playing on controllers, but I find that Tekken is kind of designed for arcade sticks.
It's personal preference, nothing more. For some it is easier on pad, for some on sticks. I play on hitbox and its great. Again personal preference.

EntropicByDesign

I am so excited about this game (and inj2). There is SO much positivity and output for T7 and its legit nice to be a part of that.

Its interesting that BDCing is considered (more or less) easier on stick than pad, I would have thought it would have been opposite.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
GGs @SaltShaker.

In a completely unrelated manner, I've decided I'm switching from LC and I need some help picking a character. I don't know what playstyle I'm looking for. In previous Tekkens I liked Jack, Law, and Baek. I've narrowed it down to these characters. Any help is appreciated.

Miguel, Lili, Katarina, or Shaheen?
I would say it depends on specifically what type of playstyle you're looking to go with in Tekken. Poke heavy, turtle, mixup, etc. Then after that, which character focuses best on your strengths and what you're looking to play. Then lastly you pick 1 you feel is suited and run with it.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I would say it depends on specifically what type of playstyle you're looking to go with in Tekken. Poke heavy, turtle, mixup, etc. Then after that, which character focuses best on your strengths and what you're looking to play. Then lastly you pick 1 you feel is suited and run with it.
This is how I settled on Leo.

I wanted a character that allows me to punish HARD, on block or whiff, without the heavy execution requirements or the poking difficulty (looking at you Kaz)

And despite being a lady, I can report with certainty that Leo pokes just fine...

Take from that - what you will.

:DOGE

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
They way I chose way back when was based on how I wanted to approach the game. Do I wanna pick someone to give me easy wins and bypass some of the fundamentals for the sake of ego. Or pick someone harder to learn but forced me to try to master the intricacies of the game. For me it was a easy choice so I picked Kaz and long story short I still suck but its better than being a lilli player :D

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
...Do I wanna pick someone to give me easy wins and bypass some of the fundamentals for the sake of ego. Or pick someone harder to learn but forced me to try to master the intricacies of the game. For me it was a easy choice so I picked Kaz and long story short I still suck but its better than being a lilli player
Ah Kaz...

I still think Kaz is awesome, and I will take a second look at him once I've got my footing in this game (2-3 years maybe?) i13 PEWGF Launcher, Twin Pistons, WS2.. he's really a defensive players dream character. I'm going Lee Chaolan for poke heavy offense and CH fishing (when the time comes) but again, for defensive play, it's hard to punish harder than Kazuya Mishima, and it's hard to be half as cool.

Feast your eyes on both him and the Power of Paul (*really!) And might I mention that Paul is ideal for beginners? Deathfist, Demo Man, Hammer Fist... (Macho Man voice) Oooo it's so good!

Last edited: